What's new

Welp... Ronda Rousey confirmed?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Y’all do realize Sonya is like, one of the main female faces of MK right? Right behind Kitana.

She’s like the “Cammy” if you will, as Kitana is the “Chun Li”

Chun Li is THE female SF face and Cammy is a close second. They almost NEVER miss a game.

Same with this situation regarding Sonya. Since her release in MK1, she’s been in EVERY SINGLE GAME besides MK2 and Deception.

Besides, it’s just one character. We’re getting like 30+. Y’all will be alright.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Y’all do realize Sonya is like, one of the main female faces of MK right? Right behind Kitana.

She’s like the “Cammy” if you will, as Kitana is the “Chun Li”

Chun Li is THE female SF face and Cammy is a close second. They almost NEVER miss a game.

Same with this situation regarding Sonya. Since her release in MK1, she’s been in EVERY SINGLE GAME besides Deception.

Besides, it’s just one character. We’re getting like 30+. Y’all will be alright.
Difference is, the SF community overall like Chun Li and Cammy. They are very popular characters.
Sonya... isn't really all that popular. She's mostly just in the games because she's a legacy character, but otherwise she doesn't have much going on for her.

There was a post about Sonya on the sub-reddit just yesterday, where I made this response:

I don't have any hate for Sonya though, more of a disinterest. Thing is, her plot is basically the same as Scorpions. She wants revenge, she wants to hunt down and kill Kano. And both her and Scorpion has had this motivation since day one and all the way through the franchise.

However, though I have no love for Scorpion, he has a lot of other things to him that people find appealing. A certain cool factor that comes with being a ninja hellspawn and having a moveset which reflects that. And because of this popularity, and most likely some bias from Ed Boon's side, he became the face of the franchise.

Sonya, however... got nothing. She's a military woman aaaaand... that's it. Though I personally like her having some acrobatic kicks, she doesn't really have an interesting moveset. I miss her upwards bicycle kick and thought it was cool to see return in MKvsDCU, but it was then replaced with her arch kick instead... which is okay, but again, not that interesting.

It seems like the MK team/NRS just wasn't interested in her as a character. She was just there just to be there! She's a legacy character, and that's the only reason she keeps returning.

Difference is, the SF community overall like Chun Li and Cammy. They are very popular characters.
Sonya... isn't really all that popular. She's mostly just in the games because she's a legacy character, but otherwise she doesn't have much going on for her.
That seems very wrong to me, what makes you think that? Like what do you use to judge characters' popularity? Please don't tell you only use the likes of TYM, Reddit, or Twitter.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
That seems very wrong to me, what makes you think that? Like what do you use to judge characters' popularity? Please don't tell you only use the likes of TYM, Reddit, or Twitter.
Just overall people's feelings about the characters. I've never seen people agree about Chun Li or Cammy having to sit out a game. I've seen it several times about Sonya though.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
How come? genuinely curious.
She's been in too many games already, and considering that Cassie is a thing now, I feel like she should take priority. Sure, we can have both, but that's a spot that's not going to another character.

Also being annoying to fight in both MK9 and MKX didn't help.

People talking about how Sonya needs to retire for one game when the ones who really need a rest are Scorpion and Sub-Zero
You can't retire the poster boys.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Let me know when it's ok to say I told you so in regards to the leak that so many people were calling bullshit on.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
why should she sit this game out? I'm curious.
Not really any super fancy reason. Just personal preference I guess. I mean Cassie played a huge role in mkx with the other kids. The parents kind of took a backseat to them in the story. So you would figure the next step is to have them get a well deserved day off or game off. If you will.

Dabluprint4

eh....
She's been in too many games already, and considering that Cassie is a thing now, I feel like she should take priority. Sure, we can have both, but that's a spot that's not going to another character.

Also being annoying to fight in both MK9 and MKX didn't help.

You can't retire the poster boys.
lmao so you don't like playing against her? got it..

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
People talking about how Sonya needs to retire for one game when the ones who really need a rest are Scorpion and Sub-Zero
Nah, Scorpion and Sub-Zero are iconic and removing them would literally hurt sales. There's a reason Scorpion is on the cover again - he's the most recognizable character in the game, alongside Sub-Zero.

There would be so few casual fans who give two shits if Sonya wasn't in MK11. People would lose their minds if Scorpion and Sub-Zero were left out. Scorpion was absent from MK3 and people bitched even back then. He's been in every game since.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Just overall people's feelings about the characters. I've never seen people agree about Chun Li or Cammy having to sit out a game. I've seen it several times about Sonya though.
Not to be a pill but I think a lot of that has to do with sexism/ageism, honestly -- the time jump made Sonya less hot to people, so she should sit out and her hot young daughter should replace her. Meanwhile Johnny and Jax and Kenshi should obviously return until they're ancient and grey.

Let me know when it's ok to say I told you so in regards to the leak that so many people were calling bullshit on.
This is the one that I think most people agreed seemed like it could be legit. It's the only one I considered plausible. I'm not a Ronda Rousey fan, but I'm at least glad this one being legit debunks all the supposed roster leaks.

Dabluprint4

eh....
Not really any super fancy reason. Just personal preference I guess. I mean Cassie played a huge role in mkx with the other kids. The parents kind of took a backseat to them in the story. So you would figure the next step is to have them get a well deserved day off or game off. If you will.
ah! gotcha.. Cassie is def a good replacement but I think it would be cool to see the originals in MK11 with the new graphics and all.