What's new

We shouldn't be happy with the netplay in MK11

Only problems I have with MK and the netcode is that the ping threshold for ranked is too high, no WIFI filter and a lot of the vanilla characters having extremely tight jailing windows of 2 frames or some shit making it impossible to hit-confirm pokes into jailing highs. The 3f buffer doesn't help.

It's almost as if NRS noticed these pokes are shit and gave every fucking DLC character +15 to +16 on hit on their pokes while forgetting all the old characters.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
There is a reason DBZ Fighters players want rollback netcode my friend.
That's perfectly understandable why they want rollback. Rollback is FAR superior to lockstep.

But I think you're missing what Scoot is getting at. We shouldn't be locked to a static 3 frames if the connection doesn't require 3 frames of injected latency to create an optimal experience. It's not impossible to implement, either.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Man it's such a complex topic, i could easily write a master thesis about it. Im pretty sure i already did that to some degree here also in some other thread few/several months back.

So im gonna just keep it short here and address few points:

1. Netcode is just one of many layers which goes into a game. Rollback netcode is VERY CPU intensive if you go with lower fps buffer. Jaguar APU which you can find in PS4/X1 is a potato level CPU (GPU side isn't much better) which is a serious limitations when doing more complex games.

2. MK is a mainstream game tailored to a mainstream consumer. Most of them don't even know what latency in networking is. Most of them is way to lazy to adjust frame buffer even if they would be given that option. Auto - adjustment is possible but thats another CPU task in a game where they already had to make several hard compromises to run it at 60 fps.

3. Average latency in USA, EU or Japan is higher then 50 ms (3 fps), there is literally no point in going lower or adding the option to change it which would introduce several other problems which you dont see now. For like 1% (more realistically - 0,1%) of people who woud notice or care about it. 100 - 1000 work hours somewhere between those numbers for 3 - 9 people to implement AND test this. It make no sense what so ever from the business standpoint and there would be more cost for it, something would have to be cut out / toned down from the game - like i said Jaguar is a very weak APU.

4. You can combine to a degree both methods (delay + rollback = blended) and it will work really good for some scenarios and really bad for other; not a great idea if youre making a game which should work fine for almost all people.

In summary - NRS games / MK 11 has a very competent rollback netcode. It isn't the best in the business but it works very well for most scenarios. It's just like the game overal = for most people. Again it's a business and as such there is no point in putting time and (a lot of) money to please the 0,1% of sales when you already pleased 99,9%.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
i have no issue with my trustable PSN friends everything is just working fine. i can do the hard to get combos even my flawless blocks or Fast crouchs are working fine but no wifi wilter in KL or ranked sets is just lame.

Jbog

Noob
This game feels slower online! Its easy to tell the difference easy punished moves are tight and jail moves with highs are non existing online

heildan

NANI?!
Personal opinion, based on the experience I've had across some games I've played lately:

People talk about DBFZ netcode being lackluster, which somehow is, but the game has more things mechanically going on to register and I've had far more enjoying matches in that netcode than on MK11 (while MK11 has more graphics to load up and interactions, etc). Some also tend to say that on PC at 1 or 2 frames of input lag it feels like offline PS4, while MK11 is still locked in 3.

Even at a delay based netcode, DBFZ can really show its colors when played at low delay. MK11 feels wonky somehow compared to it when both are played at optimal settings. Meanwhile in DBFZ, anything from up 5 frames make it feel atrocious, and don't even make me talk when it becomes variable. However, say what you want, its not bad when its played optimally.

To me, MK11 feels nothing like rollback, It has the input delay feel since the rollback goes unnoticed (which is cool, I guess, I've only noticed it when getting hit by a fatal from a characters back, lol). KI, for example, has a more dynamic rollback making it warp a lot more in its rollback than MK11. Its just different, it doesnt make any of these two worse than the other in any way. An outcome (eg. oki, crossup caught by mashing) may play different in a match and thats it. Yet, MK11 can handle it better overall when playing against players from afar, its not bad. In addition, it has crossplay. It seems they aimed for a smooth experience across players distance, and it does a pretty good job at it.

Sometimes it appears to me that MKX netcode was better than MK11 too. Maybe it has to do with the graphical quality improvement from one to another, with a lot of scenery animations to boot up, ect.

With these many things NRS actually achieved a pretty nice balanced netcode to bring their vision of game design to a online setting, since its possible to handle a beautiful and heavy game. If thats the case, they should get rid of some of these mechanics and unecessary graphical things (lots of scenery animations going on) from their engine in their future games so they can run more smoothly online.

There isn't much more to improve as of now, besides online ecosystem changes, because it could result in a disastrous experience, so we just have to accept it as it is.

Last edited:

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
MK11 has a great netcode. The thing that sucks is that there is no filter in search.

The ping counter is very inaccurate and you can't filter by region or connection strength. This leads to major issues. The game doesn't handle high pings well and seemingly worse than MKX and Injustice 2.

Simply adding a search filter would take away a majority of these issues. Its like MK11 has this awesome net code but you might as well just throw it in the trash because it constantly matches you with terrible connections.

This is the number 1 reason I play the game less than any other MK game. Its ok setting up times to play with friends that have good connections, but the fact you can't just hop online and set your filter for optimum connections and play ranked matches is beyond me. Games have had search filters for a decade now. This just seems like NRS dropping the ball at this point. It really needs to get done and is a major problem.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
That's perfectly understandable why they want rollback. Rollback is FAR superior to lockstep.

But I think you're missing what Scoot is getting at. We shouldn't be locked to a static 3 frames if the connection doesn't require 3 frames of injected latency to create an optimal experience. It's not impossible to implement, either.
I get what he is saying my man. He is just wrong.

623HS

Noob

yeah, some melty players here won't even play anything worse than 2f rollback 0-1f delay, and some delay based fg players only play 2f delay games or less on pc, so mk11 online will always be unplayable to them(though I think they are a bit too picky)

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
yeah, some melty players here won't even play anything worse than 2f rollback 0-1f delay, and some delay based fg players only play 2f delay games or less on pc, so mk11 online will always be unplayable to them(though I think they are a bit too picky)
I don't think that's too picky. The majority of people barely notice a 3f latency increase. Even less can realistically pick up a 2f difference.