What's new

We all love to complain so lets have at it! Which character is THE WORST?

Just which character is the worst right now?

• Total voters

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Cetrion is pretty trash. It sucks because I think her moves are cool and unique. She was touted as the primary zoner of the game before release, which, to me, only means the devs want zoning to be ass. Which it is. She is too damn slow, the epitome of high risk and low reward.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I hope Cetrion stays one of the worst if that’s true... they’ll buff her zoning and she’ll be like starfire or pre patch deadshot...

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I don't know how anyone voted for Shao Kahn. His space control is incredible, and his frame data is frankly amazing. He has an advancing mid that's +6 on block, his jab is +1, his 1,2, 1+3 is -1. He has all those frame traps in addition to f2 which reaches almost double the starting distance of the round...

For anyone to think he's remotely bad is beyond me. I haven't seen Cetrion's frame data yet, but I voted for Jade since I've seen hers since I tried to help a friend pick her up. Pretty sure all the people who wanted to main her, dropped her after the beta. Her frame data is awful. Her best moves all have stubby reach. Her ranged moves are all super punishable. And her specials are practically worthless.

Edit: Seriously with the Shao thing- if you think he's bad, I implore you to check out other characters and compare. Shao is REALLY solid.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I don't know how anyone voted for Shao Kahn. His space control is incredible, and his frame data is frankly amazing. He has an advancing mid that's +6 on block, his jab is +1, his 1,2, 1+3 is -1. He has all those frame traps in addition to f2 which reaches almost double the starting distance of the round...

For anyone to think he's remotely bad is beyond me. I haven't seen Cetrion's frame data yet, but I voted for Jade since I've seen hers since I tried to help a friend pick her up. Pretty sure all the people who wanted to main her, dropped her after the beta. Her frame data is awful. Her best moves all have stubby reach. Her ranged moves are all super punishable. And her specials are practically worthless.

Edit: Seriously with the Shao thing- if you think he's bad, I implore you to check out other characters and compare. Shao is REALLY solid.
Jade really? I really struggle against her a Lui

Wrath0594

Jade has amazing space control.
With what? Her 28 frame, full combo punishable overhead? Her punishable high b2? Her punishable b1,2 seeable overhead? Those 3 incredibly unsafe moves are all she has for space control, the rest of her kit has less range than Johnny's.

And her projectiles are worthless. The air one is decent, and that's it.

I really wish people would provide some kind of reasoning when they said this.

Wrath0594

Is this the downplay thread? :joker:
I feel like you can separate downplay from actual analysis based on who's providing facts.
But yeah, lotta downplay in here. Feels like a lot of people haven't had time to compare their character with others in terms of frame data.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Everyone does 30-50% damage on a single hit.
Jade does 5-15% on a single hit.
Her only move that leads to any damage is her launcher f2 which is the least viable move in the game at i28, perfectly reactable and doesn't punish squat.
Her best punish is 212 which is a whoppin' 10% damage.
Her second best is 124 and her third best is d2, all of which are highs and lead to nothing.

Jade is hella negative on everything and has no safe cancels, one of her variations (the pole one) has two useless slots (cancels are punishable so useless, mb shadow kick is worthless) and her zoning variation gets blown the fuck up by half the cast either because they have better counterzoning or better zoning, or in Skarlet's and Sonya's case, zoning tools that even ignore her signature zoning immunity.
Also her FB Launcher doesn't reach moves that have pushback unlike 90% of the cast.
I'm not sure if she's the worst but she's definitely not the best right now.

Funny thing is I still like her, sort of.
I just wish it didn't feel like I'm a baby seal fighting a Navy SEAL whenever I go up against Scorpion, Sonya, Cassie, Raiden, Johnny.. eh not going to spell out the roster lol
Didn’t Steve say she was intended to be a keep away character with some mid distant tools?

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Why would you do b22cat? Do b22 df2 cut f12 cat and keep them cornered instead of ending with f12 command grab or is it b12 instead of f12.... i forget
dude, please check what moves are available in each variation before offering advice!

that aside, Kotal really has no combo potential at all outside of khan cut, and only one variation has khan cut. So, you have a one variation character. It doesn't feel like he has any combo variety either, very plain character (MKX Kotal wasn't super complicated, but you could get swaggy with some stuff)

I think his big normals are overrated. Aside from the big boot and his advancing F3 low, everything is too slow and too high to count for much. F2 looks like it should be a dominant advancing move and space controller (I remember seeing it on the Kombat Kast for the first time and being thrilled) but it takes eons to come out and is only active when absolutely fully extended. If it was active for even a few more frames it would make a difference, but I constantly see Kotal getting beat while his sword is completely overlapping his opponent.

B22 is so slow it's hard to even whiff punish with, and again starts high, but not in a way that could be used to AA or get a little something more out of the move.

I think his totems could be really interesting, and the cat is actually kind of cool when you learn how to use it right (way too much recovery if the opponent jumps though). But his base kit is so weak it seems too difficult to bother with.

Wrath0594

Didn’t Steve say she was intended to be a keep away character with some mid distant tools?
The thing is- how does she keep anyone away? Her projectile is one of the worst in the entire cast, if not the worst. The lengthy windup means she's eating a projectile, and they're blocking hers, or they're easily closing the distance. And as people have said- all of her ranged normals are horribly unsafe.

If anything, because her projectile is so bad, it incentivizes her to approach the opponent, which she also has no tools to do. Again, I don't even play Jade. I ended up helping a friend lab her, and by the end of it I was more appreciative of my own main whom I also think is weak- but not THAT weak.

Oh, and I see the combo damage was mentioned. This one's huge. She actually doesn't have any real hit confirms, she has to commit for her conversions, unlike say, Skarlet, who can stop her 2,1 string safely if it's blocked, or convert for 310 damage. Everything Glortor said about her combo damage- 100% accurate. He isn't even downplaying her. She shoulda been on the day1 buff list for sure.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Every character is lackluster but I'd say Kollector, Cassie, Sonya and Kotal are the best playstyle and normals. Every character has shit startup on most strings, unsafe openers and hardly any comboability.
I'm wondering is it just that some only played thier main and didn't really check everyone's frame data? I'm seeing issues with every character having viable ways to open that aren't completely reactable or hard punishable or too slow.
For example Liu Kang has F333 which is a mid launcher but very punishable and F2 popup but is a high and his 12 is plus 3 on block but is high,high so encourage opponent to D2 Krushing Blow mid string.

I'm not gonna say they don't have thier own problems but Kollector, Sonya, Cassie and Kotal feel the best to me. Maybe I just like there playstyle.

It seems to me everyone wants more comboability with every character! I know I do and from what I'm hearing, so does everyone else.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
The thing is- how does she keep anyone away? Her projectile is one of the worst in the entire cast, if not the worst. The lengthy windup means she's eating a projectile, and they're blocking hers, or they're easily closing the distance. And as people have said- all of her ranged normals are horribly unsafe.

If anything, because her projectile is so bad, it incentivizes her to approach the opponent, which she also has no tools to do. Again, I don't even play Jade. I ended up helping a friend lab her, and by the end of it I was more appreciative of my own main whom I also think is weak- but not THAT weak.

Oh, and I see the combo damage was mentioned. This one's huge. She actually doesn't have any real hit confirms, she has to commit for her conversions, unlike say, Skarlet, who can stop her 2,1 string safely if it's blocked, or convert for 310 damage. Everything Glortor said about her combo damage- 100% accurate. He isn't even downplaying her. She shoulda been on the day1 buff list for sure.
Got it. Come to think of it, Steve didn’t say anything about her tournament variation back then. I think with kustom moves she’d be viable

Last edited:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
The worst in terms of:

1. overall appeal: Cetrion
  2. playing for fun: Kitana (doesn’t feel like her at all)
  3. tier wise (from what I hear): D’Vorah

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Luckily for Jade, they also felt the need to nerf her corner conversions from Butterfly. Why? Who knows.