What's new

WB using MK as a marketing platform taking out iconic chars and giving us BS because they need money

Komatose

The Prettiest
Agreed. I can’t stand guest characters especially in a title I’m a fan of. How about... idk adding any of the characters that are actually part of the series instead of... F- Terminator? Wtf... It’s getting pretty stupid.

Komatose

The Prettiest
These anti-guest-dlc threads gotta stop. Nrs gave us a full mk game with a full story, modes, original charaters etc. Whatever they do after charging for aditional content, that you DON'T have to buy, is their business. Guests lure in new people, who may not be fans of the franchise. Also, there's also potential for kp2, so chill.
Nah we’re allowed to have a voice and opinion on a game we bought just like you so how about you let people speak on the game and not be a sheep? Thanks for your input though. Glad you enjoy the game. A lot of people don’t just like a lot of people do. Not everything is rainbows and sunshine in case you didn’t know. I rather any character this man listed than literally any guest character that was revealed. Because it’s Mortal Kombat in case you forgot not f- Suicide Squad or Terminator. And if it is I missed that part entirely.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Nah we’re allowed to have a voice and opinion on a game we bought just like you so how about you let people speak on the game and not be a sheep? Thanks for your input though. Glad you enjoy the game. A lot of people don’t just like a lot of people do. Not everything is rainbows and sunshine in case you didn’t know. I rather any character this man listed than literally any guest character that was revealed. Because it’s Mortal Kombat in case you forgot not f- Suicide Squad or Terminator. And if it is I missed that part entirely.
DLC doesn't have to be related to the base product, all I'm saying. It is additional sold content to the base game that is meant to bring in additional revenue, that doesn't affect the base product, so there's no real reason to be mad about it.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
The Joker has gone toe to toe against The Justice League. He's probably the most dangerous and resourceful killer on the roster. If Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman can't fully defeat him, I think he's fine with the MK Universe. I think we'll see Havik at some point though. Maybe sooner than you realise. Kombat Pack 3, with luck?
Nah, he just has popularity and plot armor. These days it's supposed to be cool to see non-powered characters like Bullseye and the Punisher go toe to toe with the Ghost Rider, or the Hulk or whatever. I mean, Wolverine - solely because of popularity - is now fighting the Hulk on even terms. The HULK. It's so stupid it hurts my brain. But I guess that plot armor is plot armor.

It's the same thing with the Joker and Batman. You see Batman go toe to toe with the Flash or Harley Quin fighting Killer Croc (and beating him rolls eyes ) you see the Joker owning the entire Legion of Doom (like Grodd couldn't read the Joker's mind and know about the clown's ambush).

Anyways, I digress.

As for Havik, yeah, if there is a third Kombat Pack, he's definitely there. If there's not, I give him a 50% chance of being in the second one.

Komatose

The Prettiest
DLC doesn't have to be related to the base product, all I'm saying. It is additional sold content to the base game that is meant to bring in additional revenue, that doesn't affect the base product, so there's no real reason to be mad about it.
There are plenty of reasons to be mad at it when MK fans playing an MK game are waiting for MK characters they’ve been waiting for for years.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
If people want MK games to keep up having AAA production values, then they have to swallow the bitter pill which is DLC and Guest characters. That's what I think, anyway.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
If people want MK games to keep up having AAA production values, then they have to swallow the bitter pill which is DLC and Guest characters. That's what I think, anyway.
I can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer a low budget game created by a passionate and caring team working in a positive/healthy environment instead of a high quality AAA game that exists for the sole purpose of maximizing a publisher's profits. You can definitely tell the difference between a labor of love, and a product.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I would love it if WB just had NRS or some other studio just make a mashup fighting game with all their guest characters. I mean if guests are this profitable just throw all the eggs in one basket and dont have it be held back by MK. And keep MK its own thing

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Can't we just not buy the guest DLCs?
NRS wouldn't "put more legacy characters!!!11!!!" if we had no guests. They would not make more DLCs, period. They're an extra, not something that's "replacing classic characters".
I don't like'em, I don't buy'em. I don't ask for them to not exist because I'm a realistic person.

Can't we just not buy the guest DLCs?
NRS wouldn't "put more legacy characters!!!11!!!" if we had no guests. They would not make more DLCs, period. They're an extra, not something that's "replacing classic characters".
I don't like'em, I don't buy'em. I don't ask for them to not exist because I'm a realistic person.
Quoted because that is the most commonsense, down to earth, logical and well thought out response i've seen about guest character DLC... ever.

In response to the title of the thread.

They don't need money. They're WB, one of the "big 5" entertainment/media companies, owned by AT&T one of the biggest telecommunications/media organisations on the planet - and in the top25 of highest revenue companies and 13th most profitable company 2019 (according to wikipedia).

So again, they don't need money, but it's their job to make money. And because they pay a lot of very smart people a lot of money, they've figured out guest characters are a way to do just that.

And it seems they're doing a pretty damn good job, because half the threads on here are people bitching about buying KP1.

No, you fool. You must pay your money up front, right now, before seeing the product. Then we'll tell you what you bought four months later. And if you're lucky, you can use said product within 6 months to a year of purchasing it. And if the product isn't to your liking, don't you dare complain! I mean, that's just acting entitled and spoiled. Just consume, and don't ask any questions.
Gaming industry and morons in 2019.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
OK let me break down basic facts for you:
MKX is the highest selling not only mk game but fighting game EVER (take out smash and the 20 million versions of SF2), and we know it sold because of the guest characters. Last time i checked companies look for profit so blaming NRS for things they cant help is once again laughable when this is old news.

Remember the game has 26 characters and i think only 3 are actually bad yet the game isnt even finished (because of WB).

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
OK let me break down basic facts for you:
MKX is the highest selling not only mk game but fighting game EVER (take out smash and the 20 million versions of SF2), and we know it sold because of the guest characters. Last time i checked companies look for profit so blaming NRS for things they cant help is once again laughable when this is old news.

Remember the game has 26 characters and i think only 3 are actually bad yet the game isnt even finished (because of WB).
… Did you just credit the success of MKX and MK11 to the guest characters?

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Thats a factual statement, the last mks to sell even 6 million were 1 and 2.
No, it's not. 'MKX selling X million' is a factual statement. 'MKX selling X million because of guest characters' is a personal guess of yours.

Dozens of reasons could explain the sales of the last two MK games, like WB's aggressive marketing campaigns, the constantly expanding number of gamers, the AAA quality of the games' engine (because lets face it, they play ten times better than the old games) … dozens of reasons. But you chose a particular reason and called it 'fact' in order to present your narrative.

Unless Boon or Warner or someone in the know comes out and verifies this, this will never become 'a factual statement'.

The inclusion of guests would not be an issue if the roster were a bit more fleshed out. Relegating Cyrax/Sektor to NPC status is unforgivable and a major tease/FU to fans, who complained about the same in MKX with Fujin/Rain. Excluding Rain/Mileena is also bone-headed given their popularity. And then excluding staple ninjas like Smoke and Reptile is a glaring omission in the roster. And let's not forget high level B-listers who deserve some spotlight like Havik and Fujin. Making matters worse it that for those few DLC slots that actually do feature MK characters, NRS has selected absolute scrubs like Sheeva, Sindel, Nightwolf...hell I'm surprised Stryker didn't make the list...oh wait, he's a white male, which is a non-starter over at WB/NRS. The franchise is in the shitter. They're just cashing in and taking advantage of loyal fans from the beginnings, while trying to make new ones with PC millenials and the mainstream masses (hello Terminator, Joker, lmfao).

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
The inclusion of guests would not be an issue if the roster were a bit more fleshed out. Relegating Cyrax/Sektor to NPC status is unforgivable and a major tease/FU to fans, who complained about the same in MKX with Fujin/Rain. Excluding Rain/Mileena is also bone-headed given their popularity. And then excluding staple ninjas like Smoke and Reptile is a glaring omission in the roster. And let's not forget high level B-listers who deserve some spotlight like Havik and Fujin. Making matters worse it that for those few DLC slots that actually do feature MK characters, NRS has selected absolute scrubs like Sheeva, Sindel, Nightwolf...hell I'm surprised Stryker didn't make the list...oh wait, he's a white male, which is a non-starter over at WB/NRS. The franchise is in the shitter. They're just cashing in and taking advantage of loyal fans from the beginnings, while trying to make new ones with PC millenials and the mainstream masses (hello Terminator, Joker, lmfao).
hey nerd

sindel and nightwolf own the robots and fujin and rain for free

GOD BLESS NRS FOR MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION

also sorry you think NRS is causing white genocide or whatever the fuck bullshit you just wrote.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I can understand people who are superfans wanting niche characters they remember from older games in the franchise.

What I can't understand is people who think that the general public would also prefer an unpopular or lesser known character over a cultural mainstay like Terminator or even Spawn.

Most people know Sub Zero, Scorpion, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage. They also might know Sonya Blade, Raiden, Kitana and a couple more characters. But nearly everybody knows who Terminator is.

So although I get that niche fans want their favorites, I think we should all be able to admit that the majority feels a different way and absolutely loves guests. If they didn't sell like crazy and bring more people to MK, they wouldn't be taking the time to go through tricky negotiations and pay expensive licensing fees just to put them into the game.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Guests let NRS take chances with less popular dlc characters. Sheeva is one of the most hated Mortal Kombat characters of all time. She makes every top 10 worst characters list and I remember people debating if they were even going to bother putting her in MK9.

I personally like the character, but it's wild to me that they're going to charge money for her. Terminator and Spawn are definitely going to soften that blow for them.