What's new

Violent Video Games and the Return of the 1980s

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Someone mentally ill can't tell the difference, or they think it's ok because "hey I saw it in a video game so it's ok" I'm talking about really mentally off people not the common criminal going for the insanity plea to get off easier. I also know this from knowing someone personally who is a paranoid, schizophrenic and bipolar. Let's just say they're heavily medicated because they can't tell the difference at times between reality and fantasy. Example, one time she forgot her meds while my friend (who's her son) wasn't home and she was watching a movie about heists, she took off and robbed a church thinking she was part of the mission....

I have nothing against the police, considering they do more good than bad but the media will have people brainwashed. I also never said there wasn't a difference, but I said if someone is mentally disturbed it's just common sense to push them more towards Mario or an E game than "hey timmy, you dream of killing people here play COD and MK" isn't really helpful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nor blaming video games for a psycho I'm just saying why give them the sick pleasure of enjoying such or putting them in a room so they can beat a dead animal just to get their kicks off.
Rampage killers are not usually (if ever) that kind of mentally ill. Most rampage killers meet no criteria for mental illness at all, in fact. A lot of it is idealogically motivated.

My "fuck the police" comment was meant in the context of the movie I referenced and was intended to be tomgue in cheek. It's a movie about a bunch of jewel thiefs running from the police.

But yeah, for some extremely severe types of mental illness, damn near everything can be a trigger. People who are that unstable should be institutionalized until they find a combo of meds/therapy that brings them more in line with reality.

Robbing churches is fun, though.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Rampage killers are not usually (if ever) that kind of mentally ill. Most rampage killers meet no criteria for mental illness at all, in fact. A lot of it is idealogically motivated.

My "fuck the police" comment was meant in the context of the movie I referenced and was intended to be tomgue in cheek. It's a movie about a bunch of jewel thiefs running from the police.

But yeah, for some extremely severe types of mental illness, damn near everything can be a trigger. People who are that unstable should be institutionalized until they find a combo of meds/therapy that brings them more in line with reality.

Robbing churches is fun, though.
Of course, they're just sick in a disturbed way that deserve life in prison lol.

I was just saying that there was people who kill or do things that necessarily aren't their fault in that they know what they're doing(medical condition) like my friend's mother for example or with something like dementia where my friend's sister in law(who died recently from it) forgot her own husband and was chasing him around the house with a knife. I think those cases should be separate from the rampage slasher type of killer for sure.

I agree with you though there, most killers with occasional exceptions know what they're doing.

Ahh ok I was going to ask you actually if you meant that in jest now that I read that. lol I know it's a trend now days to hate on cops and all so I wasn't sure, but thanks for clarifying that. lol yeah, she's harmless in that regard she's just done some crazy shit lol. One other time she pushed an AC out the window(thankfully it didn't fall on anyone) that could have been bad lol even though the story was hilarious.

portent

Noob
I'm honestly not worried about the blaming of video games. Games have been an easy target forever, and the lazy ass politicians always go after them instead of turning toward parents, environmental factors (such as nature/nurture), and plain old lack of discipline.

They fail to look at every night's 6pm news and see that the blood, gore, and violence is far beyond that of what we see in video games, is readily available to children, and unlike video games, is real and can't be undone by the press of a button.

They fail to look at the remainder of the media outlets and the violence readily available in them.

Like always, this will blow over, and we may see something to on the level of voluntary checks being offered by gaming retailers in order to quell the incompetent and lazy legislators.

In reference to the guns, however, I strongly disagree with the notion that banning, or making it more difficult to get a firearm as a responsible adult, is a good idea.

Making the background checks more thorough, including, and IMO most importantly, a deep search of a person's social media (which most people think is their own private little world that nobody should have access to) is incredibly telling about someone's personality, and more importantly, their impulsivities.

There needs to be a system where, if any red flag pops, someone cannot get a firearm. Likewise, putting more money into real life solutions for current firearm owners is a great idea. Pretty much every firearm owner is very well aware of what their weapon is capable of. However, some of them don't have an ammunition safe, or a weapon locker in order to store the weapon and ammunition seperately. Instead of educating people on what they already know, put the money into a real life solution and provide at least one safe for people willing to step up and say they don't have the necessary safety measure for their legally owned firearm. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than spending millions of dollars on classes to tell people what they already know.

Money needs to be spent stopping people from getting guns illegally. More legislation to make it more difficult for a responsible gun owner to get a gun won't stop people from getting guns illegally. Instead, all it will do is make it more difficult for the responsible owner to arm himself against the person who acquired theirs illegally.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
honestly, so sick of hearing all the banning talk, i'd fight that shit for sure. and even if it did happen, i wouldnt let that stop me from adding what i wanted to my collection. i think it'd work about as well as the prohibition did.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose

Aside from being one of the best videos ever the grace the internet, it illustrates a certain point about gun "safety."

Even the most highly qualified and trained professionals blow their dick off from time to time.

MKF30

That guy seems poorly trained lol I mean who shoots themselves in the foot? lmao unless you're drunk then...I lol when he got the automatic out and the kids starting freaking out lmao, can't say I blame them I mean who shoots themselves in the foot like that?

One story you don't hear much about on I think why people should be able to defend themselves is this..

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
That guy seems poorly trained lol I mean who shoots themselves in the foot? lmao unless you're drunk then...I lol when he got the automatic out and the kids starting freaking out lmao, can't say I blame them I mean who shoots themselves in the foot like that?

One story you don't hear much about on I think why people should be able to defend themselves is this..
I mean, he's a DEA agent. He's probably about as trained in the use of handguns as they get. Given the DEA is a corrupt government entity that seemingly recruits only the most thuggish and brutish police officers to fill its ranks. The point still stands that even the most well-trained individuals with regard to firearms suffer accidents all the time, because firearms are legitimately dangerous.

In this particular case, the firearm was supposed to be unloaded, but I guess somebody forgot to take the bullets out, lol.

That video is so perfect that if the story didn't make the newspaper back when it happened I would believe it to be fake. "I'm the only one qualified... BLAM." Then going for the full-auto AR-15 after blowing two or three of his toes off. If a comedy writer was to write this scene, it would be a little too on the nose, lol.

As far as people being armed against intruders/muggers is concerned, the lives lost from gun accidents far outweigh the lives saved from having a gun. Also have to consider the fact that when people have had guns in rampage killer scenarios it has led to additional innocent bystanders being killed in the crossfire more often than not (both the Aroura, Colorado movie theatre and the Pulse in Orlando, IIRC).

I think that there are definitely pockets of the U.S. where having a gun is essential, but these are not the norm. For most people, having a gun is more likely to lead to a life-threatening scenario than not having it.

Last edited:

MKF30

I mean, he's a DEA agent. He's probably about as trained in the use of handguns as they get. Given the DEA is a corrupt government entity that seemingly recruits only the most thuggish and brutish police officers to fill its ranks. The point still stands that even the most well-trained individuals with regard to firearms suffer accidents all the time, because firearms are legitimately dangerous.

In this particular case, the firearm was supposed to be unloaded, but I guess somebody forgot to take the bullets out, lol.

That video is so perfect that if the story didn't make the newspaper back when it happened I would believe it to be fake. "I'm the only one qualified... BLAM." Then going for the full-auto AR-15 after blowing two or three of his toes off. If a comedy writer was to write this scene, it would be a little too on the nose, lol.

As far as people being armed against intruders/muggers is concerned, the lives lost from gun accidents far outweigh the lives saved from having a gun. Also have to consider the fact that when people have had guns in rampage killer scenarios it has led to additional innocent bystanders being killed in the crossfire more often than not (both the Aroura, Colorado movie theatre and the Pulse in Orlando, IIRC).

I think that there are definitely pockets of the U.S. where having a gun is essential, but these are not the norm. For most people, having a gun is more likely to lead to a life-threatening scenario than not having it.

I don't know about that, I'd have to see that statistic honestly regarding more accidents happen because I'm sure more murders happen from guns in general, the problem is the defensive stories you don't hear about because the mainstream media won't report when the good guy or every day joe is able to defend themselves from punks like that and criminals because it makes guns look good. But it's a merely a tool as far as I'm concerned. Some people use it for good, others for bad. The gist of it. Usually in wars friendly fire happens but thankfully there hasn't been one on a grand, grand scale in a while like WW1 and 2 and Vietnam probably had so many friendly fires but you know full blown war shit happens.

The having a gun so long as it's permitted for protection I feel is a good thing, because less people would be robbed, shot etc if everyone had one. Let's just say they'd think twice before approaching you to rob you, now if you're unarmed what are you going to do? But one thing's for sure as I mentioned earlier the most anti gun states have the most shooting/gun crimes compared to those that allow it if you look it up.

For that video lol There are some places and jobs better trained than others though, I look back on that vid the guy wasn't even looking at the gun properly. He was teaching and not paying full attention which is a big mistake when you're handling a firearm. I won't say his job trains bad but perhaps he's just a bad learner that seems like a nooby mistake. Now, you want really trained well, Navy Seals those mofos are trained for REAL in every regard lol. My friend's cousin was one, those guys you don't mess with lol with guns or combat. lol This dude, just seems like an amateur the way he presents himself then is trying to hobble around pretend like nothing happened. I mean really? lol the vid I posted with two women who have no training were more careful just saying. I think sometimes training goes wasted or is also about common sense in that situation. Honestly, I'm not sure why it was even loaded had he pointed it at one of the students and accidentally shot them can you imagine the lawsuit?

Oh I'm sure they do in most likely high tense situations, this case to be fair wasn't stressful he was just trying to teach students about guns and some how blew a hole in his foot. Safety off maybe? Just seemed like a nooby mistake. Sure he could have been "trained" but we dont know how well or he's just incompetent or as mentioned from you and I, maybe it was supposed to unloaded and he didn't know, lol I still think their reaction when he took out the automatic was priceless I would have been like ok I'm running out of the room now since you just shot yourself with the hand gun lol.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!

DAMN the mom and daughter took it to the robber like pros! Huge kudos to them, bravery at it's finest.

MKF30

DAMN the mom and daughter took it to the robber like pros! Huge kudos to them, bravery at it's finest.
Yeah I know right? You hardly heard about it but I agree, props for hearing a good story about people able to defend themselves.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I don't know about that, I'd have to see that statistic honestly regarding more accidents happen because I'm sure more murders happen from guns in general, the problem is the defensive stories you don't hear about because the mainstream media won't report when the good guy or every day joe is able to defend themselves from punks like that and criminals because it makes guns look good. But it's a merely a tool as far as I'm concerned. Some people use it for good, others for bad. The gist of it. Usually in wars friendly fire happens but thankfully there hasn't been one on a grand, grand scale in a while like WW1 and 2 and Vietnam probably had so many friendly fires but you know full blown war shit happens.

The having a gun so long as it's permitted for protection I feel is a good thing, because less people would be robbed, shot etc if everyone had one. Let's just say they'd think twice before approaching you to rob you, now if you're unarmed what are you going to do? But one thing's for sure as I mentioned earlier the most anti gun states have the most shooting/gun crimes compared to those that allow it if you look it up.

For that video lol There are some places and jobs better trained than others though, I look back on that vid the guy wasn't even looking at the gun properly. He was teaching and not paying full attention which is a big mistake when you're handling a firearm. I won't say his job trains bad but perhaps he's just a bad learner that seems like a nooby mistake. Now, you want really trained well, Navy Seals those mofos are trained for REAL in every regard lol. My friend's cousin was one, those guys you don't mess with lol with guns or combat. lol This dude, just seems like an amateur the way he presents himself then is trying to hobble around pretend like nothing happened. I mean really? lol the vid I posted with two women who have no training were more careful just saying. I think sometimes training goes wasted or is also about common sense in that situation. Honestly, I'm not sure why it was even loaded had he pointed it at one of the students and accidentally shot them can you imagine the lawsuit?

Oh I'm sure they do in most likely high tense situations, this case to be fair wasn't stressful he was just trying to teach students about guns and some how blew a hole in his foot. Safety off maybe? Just seemed like a nooby mistake. Sure he could have been "trained" but we dont know how well or he's just incompetent or as mentioned from you and I, maybe it was supposed to unloaded and he didn't know, lol I still think their reaction when he took out the automatic was priceless I would have been like ok I'm running out of the room now since you just shot yourself with the hand gun lol.
He stated the handgun was supposed to be unloaded before he grabbed it in the beginning of the video. Given, it's one of those things that you double-check before holding it carelessly in front of a group of highschool students, I would imagine. The hubris though, lol.

As far as gun deaths, far, far more people die from gun related accidents than murders. Many times more, including a couple of children a day IIRC.

As far as gun state/anti-gun state gun violence stats, that has more to do with metropolitan areas tending to have more crime thab rural areas (larger cities tend to vote D while rural areas tend to vote R). Also, the places where the majority of these shootings occur are saturated with guns, the majority of which are bought legally across state lines in neighboring red states, and then distributed for illegal means.

And as far as fighting criminals off with guns... I don't know, man. A gun can save your life if somebody is out for blood, but most criminals are simply out for money and would rather not turn an armed robbery into a murder investigation. Having a gun can easily turn what would have been a loss of $200 dollars into a fatal situation.

From my personal experiences, when I have been in situations where I think most people believe they would want to have a gun, I was glad I didn't have a gun. Either I would have been snuck up on before I had the chance to grab for it, thereby giving the criminal the gun, it would have been wrestled from me, or I would have had to shoot a 16 year old kid. Getting mugged sucks, but by contrast, losing a few dollars over 10 years ago haunts me a lot less than killing a teenager would have.

I do know people whose lives have been directly saved by carrying a gun, but every one of these scenarious occurred in particularly high crime areas.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I think it's the people and not the games. I, for example, didn't play manhunt because it seemed too violent to me. Barking at the wrong tree, as they say.

MKF30

He stated the handgun was supposed to be unloaded before he grabbed it in the beginning of the video. Given, it's one of those things that you double-check before holding it carelessly in front of a group of highschool students, I would imagine. The hubris though, lol.

As far as gun deaths, far, far more people die from gun related accidents than murders. Many times more, including a couple of children a day IIRC.

As far as gun state/anti-gun state gun violence stats, that has more to do with metropolitan areas tending to have more crime thab rural areas (larger cities tend to vote D while rural areas tend to vote R). Also, the places where the majority of these shootings occur are saturated with guns, the majority of which are bought legally across state lines in neighboring red states, and then distributed for illegal means.

And as far as fighting criminals off with guns... I don't know, man. A gun can save your life if somebody is out for blood, but most criminals are simply out for money and would rather not turn an armed robbery into a murder investigation. Having a gun can easily turn what would have been a loss of $200 dollars into a fatal situation.

From my personal experiences, when I have been in situations where I think most people believe they would want to have a gun, I was glad I didn't have a gun. Either I would have been snuck up on before I had the chance to grab for it, thereby giving the criminal the gun, it would have been wrestled from me, or I would have had to shoot a 16 year old kid. Getting mugged sucks, but by contrast, losing a few dollars over 10 years ago haunts me a lot less than killing a teenager would have.

I do know people whose lives have been directly saved by carrying a gun, but every one of these scenarious occurred in particularly high crime areas.
They happen more often than you think but sadly the media will not report it except sometimes Fox News, and even they miss some the mainstream news outlets will not report it like that vid I posted was pretty recent yet try to find it on CNN or MSNBC, you won't find it. I've heard some stories down south or states that allow citizens to have guns, avoiding not just getting mugged but rape, attacked etc. If someone sneaks up behind you you really dont know what their intentions are. Sure they could just take your wallet and run, or they can beat the shit out of you, laugh then rape you and rob you. In that case I'm more of the "neutralize you now, ask questions later" type. Not necessarily kill you but in this world, I think it's better to be safe than sorry assuming of course I can't avoid the scenario all together. I'm talking if I have no other choice, no police around or such.

Oh ok, yeah I just heard that now. I didn't hear him the first time I watched it, lol someone messed up but good thing he didn't shoot himself in a more vital part or someone else because of it.

That I think is debatable honestly, I know lots of deaths, accidents happen from gun accidents but historically speaking on purpose deaths between gang wars, wars, general crimes, etc I would think purpose harm has to be higher. Though maybe in a shorter time span between say 2000-2005 I can see that but ultimately overall I would be surprised if harm with intent with guns didn't have higher stats honestly. Especially given how humans are.

Well, where I live isn't necessarily saturated in NYC yet every week we have gun stories in the news. I mean if it's like a bad area or parts of Harlem, you expect it but it still happens in general in cities that have strong stance against gun laws, it doesn't seem to help. Bad guys will always find a way to get them off the black market or through some other means.

I mean it's another debatable topic, I can see it being a double edged sword but if you were alone in a dark alley and someone tried to rob you, hurt your GF or something wouldn't you feed a bit safer with a gun or some kind of weapon at least to fight them off as oppose to not having anything at all, then they rob you and kill you anyway. But I know everyone has a viewpoint on this topic, that's just how I feel. Maybe it's partially where I live or maybe I just don't trust shady characters at night(as I've seen plenty over time) you know, the later you're out, that's when the freaks start coming out. lol

I'm not saying that guns are a great thing, but I also am not saying they're all evil either. The people have to pull the trigger at the end of the day, to me it's really no different than a nutjob taking a truck(like earlier this year in NYC) and running over poor bikers and people walking in a park) for no reason. Anything in the hands of a psychotic or disturbed person can be deadly as far as I'm concerned, that's pretty much how I feel so even if say tomorrow we outlaw guns all over, people will just replace it with something else and improvise. I hate to admit it but it's just human nature.

But yeah I mean I think everyone has an opinion but on the video game thing I think most of us here agree regardless of politics that blaming games isn't the answer and doesn't create someone to want to shoot up a church, club or school.

MKF30

Thing that people have to remember about this topic It's not just Trump but historically a lot of politicians from both the left and right, though when Liberman made a huge stink about MK, Doom etc he was a Democrat before becoming Independent, and of course there's Hillary Clinton's rant on the GTA hot coffee incident.

This video breaks this down perfectly by this uploader, shows clips from both sides and all sides blaming "video games" for death, shootings etc yet in 2011 they didn't find any evidence of connections between nutjobs, killers and violent video games training them to become that way.

Another thing I was also perplexed on is people are quick to blame video games but ignore movies which if anything are more realistic for obvious reasons, it's like people ignore Hollywood's agendas but attack video games. Makes no sense to me. BTW, not saying to blame movies just pointing out that that's a medium that's been out a lot longer that actually has influenced people or given people ideas at times to do crazy shit but you only hear about "video games" corrupting people lol. Anyway, here's the video I was referring to. It's quite interesting. You guys remember Jack Thompson? lol dude tried to sue Midway among other developers lol.

Last edited:

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Catcher in the rye, nuff...

I assume MK’s omission from footage was purely to reduce the “not this again” response, as it’s been a flagship of violence in games every time this conversation has surfaced in the past. Smoke n mirrors peeps, paying lip service to real victims. Nothing new about this political posturing.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Thing that people have to remember about this topic It's not just Trump but historically a lot of politicians from both the left and right, though when Liberman made a huge stink about MK, Doom etc he was a Democrat before becoming Independent, and of course there's Hillary Clinton's rant on the GTA hot coffee incident.

This video breaks this down perfectly by this uploader, shows clips from both sides and all sides blaming "video games" for death, shootings etc yet in 2011 they didn't find any evidence of connections between nutjobs, killers and violent video games training them to become that way.

Another thing I was also perplexed on is people are quick to blame video games but ignore movies which if anything are more realistic for obvious reasons, it's like people ignore Hollywood's agendas but attack video games. Makes no sense to me. BTW, not saying to blame movies just pointing out that that's a medium that's been out a lot longer that actually has influenced people or given people ideas at times to do crazy shit but you only hear about "video games" corrupting people lol. Anyway, here's the video I was referring to. It's quite interesting. You guys remember Jack Thompson? lol dude tried to sue Midway among other developers lol.

Actually in the article that @Icefyre brought Trump says in a video that they need to look at movies as well, claiming that violent movies are also an issue. Regardless, that statement is wrong for both video games and movies.

Anyway, the fact that Hillary as well as other politicians also ranted on video games just goes to show even further that there are very little people to truly trust.

To be completely an utterly honest here, and I'm sorry if I'm making this too much about politics here, I was actually happy to see Trump winning the election, and as a resident of Israel I'm so happy to see Trump actually helping my country with actions that should've been done by other presidents a long time ago, and I respect Trump for that reason. It's just incredibly disappointing that he, just like so many others before him, goes to the same bullshit in that department of video games. I still respect Trump, don't get me wrong, but he is 110% wrong about violence in any media, just like the others before him.

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I don't get it, and my curiosity is killing me. Please help.
He made a big deal about feminism trying to censor / change video games, going as far as appearing as one of the 3 members on the GamerGate vs journalism debate panel thing that happened.

He is also a rabid Trump supporter, and refers to Trump as "Daddy".

So he's kinda put himself in a hard place right now, if he doesn't go at Trump with the same shit he said on feminism for wanting the same, then he's contradicting all the things he's previously said.

That being said, it's probably not that big a deal for him, at this point i think it's clear that support for the guy isn't based out of rational or critical thought and he's unlikely to lose a single fan. Doubt his ego has let him admit that to himself yet though, hence the meme

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
He made a big deal about feminism trying to censor / change video games, going as far as appearing as one of the 3 members on the GamerGate vs journalism debate panel thing that happened.

He is also a rabid Trump supporter, and refers to Trump as "Daddy".

So he's kinda put himself in a hard place right now, if he doesn't go at Trump with the same shit he said on feminism for wanting the same, then he's contradicting all the things he's previously said.

That being said, it's probably not that big a deal for him, at this point i think it's clear that support for the guy isn't based out of rational or critical thought and he's unlikely to lose a single fan. Doubt his ego has let him admit that to himself yet though, hence the meme
Thanks, makes sense. Saying stuff such as "I still like trump but in this case I disagree with him" is still a viable option for him though.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Thanks, makes sense. Saying stuff such as "I still like trump but in this case I disagree with him" is still a viable option for him though.
he didn't just say he disagrees with feminism though, he's inferred a lot more from instances like that, so it would be hypocritical of him not to make similar statements of Trump just because he voted for him.

His fans won't actually give a shit though

MKF30

Actually in the article that @Icefyre brought Trump says in a video that they need to look at movies as well, claiming that violent movies are also an issue. Regardless, that statement is wrong for both video games and movies.

Anyway, the fact that Hillary as well as other politicians also ranted on video games just goes to show even further that there are very little people to truly trust.

To be completely an utterly honest here, and I'm sorry if I'm making this too much about politics here, I was actually happy to see Trump winning the election, and as resident of Israel I'm so happy to see Trump actually helping my country with actions that should've been done by other presidents a long time ago, and I respect Trump for that reason. It's just incredibly disappointing that he, just like so many other before him, goes to the same bullshit in that department of video games. I still respect Trump, don't get me wrong, but he is 110% wrong about violence in any media, just like the others before him.
Oh yeah,I know that, and I disagree with Trump on that stance(blaming games, movies etc) as I've said earlier I just find it funny how people always blame games and never mention movies(trump being an exception) With politicians I'm just saying historically speaking the democrats tend to go more nuts with this stuff if you check out the video I posted. You seem like you know this though with Hillary alone lol. I mean "games corrupt our childrens minds" and all that.

But you're right that he mentions movies too. But yeah, pretty much both sides have complained about it which I don't agree with. Joe libermann the dude who's actually in one of those clips lol was the dude who got MK ESRB because he was obsessed with MK's violence, he was a Democrat for the longest time when he spoke often about violent vid games now he's an Independent. But yeah I agree that nobody if you're a politician or celebrity should blame video games or movies, I was just saying that movies are portrayed more realistically and use actual real people vs. polygons but you're right nobody should blame fictional media for murdering people in real life. That's fine, I voted for him too but you know depending on where you say that people look at you like "you're nuts" but I wasn't going to give my vote for Hillary considering her past...but I'm happy for you, I have no issues with that move. I have 2 friends jewish and they appreciate a president who doesn't hate them. I agree with you and understand your point, I happen to agree with Trump on a lot of things but this definitely isn't one of them.

Last edited: