What's new

Violent Video Games and the Return of the 1980s

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Once Trump realizes that he is up against a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry in the gaming industry he will back down.

Interestingly enough, video games cause people to release massive amounts of dopamine, which, when done to excess, can cause one to become more easily agitated, potentially triggering those especially prone to violence to act out more readily. This is just as likely to happen from Candy Crush as it is with Mortal Kombat, however.

AFAIK sufficient data on the matter is yet to exist, but I would not be surprised if there is some slight correlation between excessive gaming and violence. This has much more to do with the poorly understood nature of video game addiction than with the content of the games themselves, however.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lol @ people thinking Donchad Trump doesn't know what he's up against or he didn't do enough research. The guy is a genius who can recognize the problem sources instantly and knows how to deal with them.

He's only doing this to protect the American people. MAGA.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Memories of early 90's more so Lieberman and then later on Hillary(GTA) are haunting me with this "let's blame violent games" nonsense. I don't see this going anywhere though.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
The videogames were created to entertain everyone in the whole world. They even made them to be competitive just for the fun. No way they are to blame for the actions of some schizophrenic people, who can't differentiate the reality from the virtual reality. The likely candidate for this mess are mostly the politics, the religions, and most of all their psychological diseases.

If anyone of them was smart, he/she wouldn't blame the videogames for the mass killings out there. IMO, targetting the videogames are just an excuse to show their power, or to avoid the responsibility for what they have brought upon everyone. Just think of it, the politics and the religions control everything. They even terrorize the whole world just to control them. And those schizophrenic people are just adding more fuel on the fire.

MKF30

Why do people who aren't even American care about our politics? lol Worry about your own shit...as if you don't have your own struggles.

I have only three reactions to the clip:
- Look at all the games I just happen to own!
- I find it funny how all the Fallout 4 clips were of the player killing non-hostile NPCs.
- I'm a little surprised not seeing Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt 2 or Mortal Kombat in that video.
I know right? Like those games weren't even that bad compared to the stuff in MK, Manhunt or Doom(the newer one)

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Banning guns in the States wouldn't do much. People already have them.
You could say that about anything else that was once legal and ended up banned. But all stats show that less guns = better for survival. So I think it’s time that, like Australia, we stop making excuses and start getting to work on at least sharply reducing what’s out there. So that our kids can live in a safer place.

Background checks will help a bit but still don’t deal with the root cause of the issue. And the fact that for every mass shooter that would have failed a background check, there are two or more that would have passed them.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
hey what Trump said ? its only a video with awesome games , r they trying to Blame Trump again ?

Libtard "trump is nazi , racist , anti gamers , anti peace , anti Cosmo" :DOGE

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
The videogames were created to entertain everyone in the whole world. They even made them to be competitive just for the fun. No way they are to blame for the actions of some schizophrenic people, who can't differentiate the reality from the virtual reality. The likely candidate for this mess are mostly the politics, the religions, and most of all their psychological diseases.

If anyone of them was smart, he/she wouldn't blame the videogames for the mass killings out there. IMO, targetting the videogames are just an excuse to show their power, or to avoid the responsibility for what they have brought upon everyone. Just think of it, the politics and the religions control everything. They even terrorize the whole world just to control them. And those schizophrenic people are just adding more fuel on the fire.
That was 110% spot on. That is why it is so hard to take politicians, Religion and the Media seriously nowadays. All we want is them to give us security and something to believe in and fight for, yet almost all of those people think about the power and money alone. I can count on one hand the people in high positions of any of those 3 categories that you can truly trust nowadays.

I have only three reactions to the clip:
- Look at all the games I just happen to own!
- I find it funny how all the Fallout 4 clips were of the player killing non-hostile NPCs.
- I'm a little surprised not seeing Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt 2 or Mortal Kombat in that video.
I know right? Like those games weren't even that bad compared to the stuff in MK, Manhunt or Doom(the newer one)
Totally true and spot on as well, they can't even make their researches right, how are we supposed to take them seriously? No freaking clue.

You could say that about anything else that was once legal and ended up banned. But all stats show that less guns = better for survival. So I think it’s time that, like Australia, we stop making excuses and start getting to work on at least sharply reducing what’s out there. So that our kids can live in a safer place.

Background checks will help a bit but still don’t deal with the root cause of the issue.
Totally right on that one. Both people on high positions as well as people with no positions at all need to finally take responsibility and not blaming things that have nothing to do with the issues at hand. Also, now that I think about it, considering for how long this bullshit has happened, I guess you can say that this was SJW approach before SJW approach was even a thing.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Background checks will help a bit but still don’t deal with the root cause of the issue. And the fact that for every mass shooter that would have failed a background check, there are two or more that would have passed them.
Safety is of the utmost importance especially when it comes to children.
Anyone who doubts that needs a steeltoe sandwich diet.
But realistically, can you imagine all the shady 2nd amendment supporters turning in their guns?
Realistically, can you see any logical way in which the government can knock on every door, dig up every backyard, open every shed and take all those guns?
Because I can't.

Sudden, drastic changes don't happen overnight when it comes to this level of lack of transparency. In my opinion the first step is regulation and then over time things can get straightened out.

tldr: I'm with you, 100%
I just don't see it happening for obvious reasons.
Too many guns, too many households to investigate.

MKF30

Since everyone is chiming in on this gun thing...You know this gun thing, as much nobody wants to hear it the left especially, it really won't do much by banning them ultimately. Why? Ok, well for one I live in one of the most liberal anti gun states in the country and somehow the bad guys still get them and shoot people very day. The states with most anti gun factually have the highest gun shootings, deaths etc you know New York(where I live), Chicago, Detroit, Cali etc, etc. Those that have gun laws that allow citizens to arm themselves like Texas have less believe it or not. Secondly, I've never been one to believe that "guns kill people, video games kill people blah, blah" but people kill people. I mean I'm pretty sure 3,000+ people who died on 9/11 yet not one gun was used(sadly I saw it live not a pretty sight let me tell ya) Just saying.

I'm all for more testing, stricter methods to get guns, however I'm also for the every day citizen's right to be able to protect themselves so long as they have a permit, are trained. That recent case I blame the cops and his doctors more than anyone, for one the dude wasn't mentally stable clearly and two, 4 cops pretty much said "ehh I'll run the other way". I suppose that's "gun's" fault too though right?

I also have to laugh at these cocky, delusional celebs who live in their own world preaching "anti-gun, must get rid" yet have a shit ton of police and bodyguards with guns...hypocrisy level over 9000. Now, I'm no pro gun nut nor anti gun nut I'm merely stating the reality of the situation here.

But yeah blaming vid games, movies etc is the lamest thing, been happening for years from the right and left though I've noticed way more from the left historically speaking. Politicians in general need to worry about more important things though.

Totally true and spot on as well, they can't even make their researches right, how are we supposed to take them seriously? No freaking clue.
Thanks, I mean they can't post violent games without posting the most epic one of all time;)

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I mean, I'm not the highest grade of weed in the dispensary but isn't Korea, Tokyo, and China are like the Mother lands of video games? How many mass shooting have they had the last 2 years ?Question mark?

I'll wait....:DOGE
Nah, the videogames mostly come out from Japan, EU and USA. Very rarely we see them come off China, Korea, and other countries. Some games never come out due of half part of the law, and half part of the politicians.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Nah, the videogames mostly come out from Japan, EU and USA. Very rarely we see them come off China, Korea, and other countries. Some games never come out due of half part of the law, and half part of the politicians.
Yeah....i met Japan ;)

HASHTAG/ItsTooDamnEarlyHere

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Once Trump realizes that he is up against a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry in the gaming industry he will back down.

Interestingly enough, video games cause people to release massive amounts of dopamine, which, when done to excess, can cause one to become more easily agitated, potentially triggering those especially prone to violence to act out more readily. This is just as likely to happen from Candy Crush as it is with Mortal Kombat, however.

AFAIK sufficient data on the matter is yet to exist, but I would not be surprised if there is some slight correlation between excessive gaming and violence. This has much more to do with the poorly understood nature of video game addiction than with the content of the games themselves, however.
The thing is, if you cross reference the number of people who played a Call of Duty game with the number of people who committed a mass shooting, you would find such a statistical insignificance that it's not worth looking into. To quote one study I did read: "It'd be like saying "THE KILLER WORE SOCKS!" and trying to find a correlation between the two"

MKF30

I think people also have to realize that it's the parent's fault at times for allowing a kid not mentally stable to play these games, I mean if you know the kid wants to kill things, likes shooting things and you let him play MK, COD I'm not saying it's the video game's fault but that's probably not helping either lol and bad parenting. I've worked or work in retail, typically vid games, movies section. You'd be surprised how many little kids try to buy MK, GTA etc but thankfully at least my place have a policy of I.D. scan required lol so if the kids trying to pull a fast on, that shit won't work. I'll make sure the parent buys it. But after that, they want to let their 10 year old rip people's heads off and shoot people. That's on them.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
A person who kills Humanity isn't a person.
I know. My joke was aimed at this idea that they constantly cry that only people are to blame for mass shootings and not guns, but now they want to blame video games for violence? If you can't blame guns, why are you allowed to blame fake guns in a video game?

It's hypocritical and makes no sense.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I think people also have to realize that it's the parent's fault at times for allowing a kid not mentally stable to play these games, I mean if you know the kid wants to kill things, likes shooting things and you let him play MK, COD I'm not saying it's the video game's fault but that's probably not helping either lol and bad parenting. I've worked or work in retail, typically vid games, movies section. You'd be surprised how many little kids try to buy MK, GTA etc but thankfully at least my place have a policy of I.D. scan required lol so if the kids trying to pull a fast on, that shit won't work. I'll make sure the parent buys it. But after that, they want to let their 10 year old rip people's heads off and shoot people. That's on them.
Nah, I think the difference between fantasy and reality is firmly distinguished in peoples' minds.

Watch a brutal torture scene like Mr. Blonde torturing the cop in Reservoir Dogs, and cheer when he slices the dude's ear off. Because fuck the police, right?

Then watch an actual snuff film and catch PTSD and lose the ability to sleep for the next couple of months.

The difference between fictional violence and irl violence is so vast as to make them almost completely distinct things.

MKF30

Nah, I think the difference between fantasy and reality is firmly distinguished in peoples' minds.

Watch a brutal torture scene like Mr. Blonde torturing the cop in Reservoir Dogs, and cheer when he slices the dude's ear off. Because fuck the police, right?

Then watch an actual snuff film and catch PTSD and lose the ability to sleep for the next couple of months.

The difference between fictional violence and irl violence is so vast as to make them almost completely distinct things.
Someone mentally ill can't tell the difference, or they think it's ok because "hey I saw it in a video game so it's ok" . I'll get into what I'm referring to in a sec. I'm talking about really mentally off people not the common criminal going for the insanity plea to get off easier. I also know this from knowing someone personally who is a paranoid, schizophrenic and bipolar. Let's just say they're heavily medicated because they can't tell the difference at times between reality and fantasy. Example, one time she forgot her meds while my friend (who's her son) wasn't home and she was watching a movie about heists, she took off and robbed a church thinking she was part of the mission....

I have nothing against the police, considering they do more good than bad but the media will have people brainwashed. I also never said there wasn't a difference, but I said if someone is mentally disturbed it's just common sense to push them more towards Mario or an E game than "hey timmy, you dream of killing people here play COD and MK" isn't really helpful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nor blaming video games for a psycho I'm just saying why give them the sick pleasure of enjoying such or putting them in a room so they can beat a dead animal just to get their kicks off.

Last edited: