What's new

Violent Video Games and the Return of the 1980s

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
he didn't just say he disagrees with feminism though, he's inferred a lot more from instances like that, so it would be hypocritical of him not to make similar statements of Trump just because he voted for him.

His fans won't actually give a shit though
Not really. It's possible to support someone not fully, and completely disagree with someone else. Hell, I'd love to actually find a politician I agree with completely with only 1-2 exceptions.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Not really. It's possible to support someone not fully, and completely disagree with someone else. Hell, I'd love to actually find a politician I agree with completely with only 1-2 exceptions.
No, you aren't getting it, that's not what I'm saying, re read

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I actually think censorship is more of a problem than "violence" in games or other media entertainment. I work in the film industry so this is more about film... but..

Basically with the lower ratings.. less than R or w/e... just means you can not show "agony".

You can have a film or a game where people are decapitated or mowed down with machine-gun fire, but unless you have a R rating, the directors and actors are unable to show any consequence of violence.

Marvel films are a great example of this in the modern film landscape. If you look at what happens in those films they are actually shockingly violent but there is no blood, and no aftermath no consequence. They are not even bruised. This is a much stronger link to viewers desensitisation than the gore itself.

A PG-Film, imo, that has a guy shooting and throwing grenades to zero effect, with no blood and no agony and no consequence is actually more damaging than a film where a bullet causes blood and gore and horror.

The 1st step to making violence in media less worrisome or some would say more responsible, imo, is to remove the ratings and make it more real. If the rock throws a knife at a guy in that new Rampage film, it should be gory AF.. like in real life.

The PG rating is trying to protect youth from violent images, but we as viewer and humans like that kind of stuff so it is all still in the films. So all it dose is remove the ramifications of violence... which is objectively worse than the violence itself.

That is the key I think to making responsible media violence. Remove the censorship of the agony, because it is agony that triggers empathy and the connection to violence should never be removed from its brutal consequences.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Same can really be said about DC films considering how dark and violent a lot of them are or say the first MK movie, was pretty damn violent but they made it PG13 to appeal to kids and everyone. But when they do make the reboot whenever that is, you know that's going to be rated R lol.

Jynks

Same can really be said about DC films.
the point has nothing to do with comic book movies or WB vs Disney.... it is just about the PG Rating removing "agony" from the violence.

Jynks

The first MK movie, was pretty damn violent but they made it PG13 to appeal to kids and everyone.
Exactly the rating system was designed to protect kids from violent images, but instead it is used as a way to broaden the viewer demographics .. but it dose, imo, the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do, protect youth.

Say I make a buddy cop film.. like say Ruish Hour which is PG-13... IMO, that is worse for kids than say a film like Lethal Weapon. As one is horrific and shows consequences of violence and the other shows hitting 5 people with a machete doesn't even cause blood to spill.

Which one is actually sending the wrong message?

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Same can really be said about DC films considering how dark and violent a lot of them are or say the first MK movie, was pretty damn violent but they made it PG13 to appeal to kids and everyone. But when they do make the reboot wh
the point has nothing to do with comic book movies or WB vs Disney.... it is just about the PG Rating removing "agony" from the violence.
I understand that but I'm pointing out that most comic movies tend to be rated PG yet can be very violent like you said without blood, gore etc (unless it's purposely rated R) then it's to be expected or language, nudity whatever.

It's also about them being able to appeal to everyone, not just one demographic by making it PG. Which you just said as well in your follow up post. I too have worked in entertainment, here there as a voice actor. Some projects I've been involved with the creator has purposely stayed away from ultra violence but still popular.

I think that's why we have a rating system for movies, I mean once they're released most parents don't give a shit but my friend's wife is a manager of a movie theatre, and when IT came out lots of kids tried getting in or sneaking into it without parental supervision(makes you question their upbringing huh?) but I think at the same time it's natural to rebel and being like "oh this movie has sex, violence etc I'm watching it" like the MK effect, the media tried saying it was "bad, evil, immoral blah, blah" yet that only increased it's popularity with the infamous rep it was getting in the early 90's.