What's new

Guide - Tarkatan Vertical, Not Horizontal: The Complete Guide to Slicing & Dicing with The New Tarkatan

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Yeah, you're right, I get to hyped in matches and input the rekkas to fast which is why I was having trouble with it. Now that I'm slowing it down those combos aren't to difficult. I must say Alien is really fun, was planning on maining Cyrax but the fanboy in me made the switch and no regrets.
nice, yeah take it slow, the slower you go the further the combo carries them to the wall so its never a bad thing

ErmacMKX

Noob
nice, yeah take it slow, the slower you go the further the combo carries them to the wall so its never a bad thing
Thank you, any advice on this combo;

45% (51%) 2-Bars - F134~EX-Flip, NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

I'm having trouble with hitting the 214.

I GOT HANDS

Thank you, any advice on this combo;

45% (51%) 2-Bars - F134~EX-Flip, NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

I'm having trouble with hitting the 214.
Make sure you hit the D2 as early as possible to give you a big enough window to land the 214

Does this work on cassie? Or is my timing off for the njp?
Nope, thats the one combo I have on there that is male specific. Was going to ask if someone could find an improvement off F134 that hit females.

Best I could do was F134~EX Flip, B1, D2, D1~EX-Krawl, etc

I can't remember the damage on it, but putting a B1 before the D2 slightly juggled them higher and let me connect D1. Don't think it was worth the damage however. I'm stumped on how to make this work vs females.

Make sure you hit the D2 as early as possible to give you a big enough window to land the 214

Nope, thats the one combo I have on there that is male specific. Was going to ask if someone could find an improvement off F134 that hit females.

Best I could do was F134~EX Flip, B1, D2, D1~EX-Krawl, etc

I can't remember the damage on it, but putting a B1 before the D2 slightly juggled them higher and let me connect D1. Don't think it was worth the damage however. I'm stumped on how to make this work vs females.
I have one that restands them midscreen instead of the corner.

@I GOT HANDS , 1 bar midscreen 39%, 40% dmg combo with jip2 off b2.

Jip2, b2, rc, f134, ex crawl, f134, bf2,1,1+3.

Connecting ex crawl after f134 is a bit tricky, you need to run cancel fast, but its worth the damage once you ve gotten it down.
Does it work on females?
EDIT: Just tested it and it works on females. Also you can leave out the JiP2 and you still get 39%. It only works if you hit the person from one alien away.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Yeah this variation lol....nothing new to contribute, it'e just a stupid variation.

That I was! I'm a damn good Imposter player, I'm just putting a LOT of time into Alien. Tarkatan is crazy though - not a lot of risk
I knew your name looked familiar! You're right there is very little risk involved if you can get safe rekkas down. Quick question, do you think Tarkatan's neutral is good enough to lose corner position for damage and end up midscreen in a restand?

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I knew your name looked familiar! You're right there is very little risk involved if you can get safe rekkas down. Quick question, do you think Tarkatan's neutral is good enough to lose corner position for damage and end up midscreen in a restand?
Yeah I do honestly, I do it all the time. Confirm off of a rekka in the corner and then restand them, end it s1 or half a rekka and then go for something else. The mind game there is you can chase a backdash, bait something, go for a 50/50, etc. I think his neutral is great in Tarkatan but it's risky to whiff like an f4 or a b3 because then people can run up on you.

Yeah I do honestly, I do it all the time. Confirm off of a rekka in the corner and then restand them, end it s1 or half a rekka and then go for something else. The mind game there is you can chase a backdash, bait something, go for a 50/50, etc. I think his neutral is great in Tarkatan but it's risky to whiff like an f4 or a b3 because then people can run up on you.
The set up I go for gives you 2%-3% more on all his corner bnbs and gives you a guaranteed S2 after the restand.

These are the highest damage 2 bar combos I've found with your opponent in the corner that leave them in a restand.
@I GOT HANDS I squeezes out 1% more for a 50/50 into a rekka in the corner.
41% restand + Guaranteed s2
50/50, rekka, 1 , mb1+3, NJP, u3, u3, f134, excrawl, 214, rekka, 1

44% restand + Guaranteed s2
214, exspin, u3, u3, b11u4, 214, ex crawl, 214, rekka, 1

45% restand + Guaranteed s2
F13, ex flip, u3, u3, b11u4, 214, ex crawl, 214 , rekka 1

47% restand + Guaranteed s2
F134, ex flip, u3, b11u4, 214, ex crawl, 214 , rekka 1

Last edited:

MBA_Ermok

Re-learning Spectral Ermac
@I GOT HANDS and @BarterRaccoon Props to you guys for sharing all of this. Really great stuff I will add to my Alien game!

The main problem I have sometimes is the neutral game against zoners. What are his best options in neutral?

- Jump 4 seems risky, must read a projectile.
- B3 and S4 whiffs and seems too slow.
- Krawl is good but I feel like I have to block what's coming next after crawling under a projectile as they can just throw me and go back to full screen zoning or something. Or I usually do a panic EX move after the Krawl and they block it for a punish.
- Armoured moves? I sometimes do this but half the time I end up wasting the bar on a whiffed/blocked spin flip/Rekka.

Or should I just not pick Tarkatan for zoners? Lol

Any advice would be much appreciated. Tarkatan is a very fun character to play!

I GOT HANDS

@I GOT HANDS and @BarterRaccoon Props to you guys for sharing all of this. Really great stuff I will add to my Alien game!

The main problem I have sometimes is the neutral game against zoners. What are his best options in neutral?

- Jump 4 seems risky, must read a projectile.
- B3 and S4 whiffs and seems too slow.
- Krawl is good but I feel like I have to block what's coming next after crawling under a projectile as they can just throw me and go back to full screen zoning or something. Or I usually do a panic EX move after the Krawl and they block it for a punish.
- Armoured moves? I sometimes do this but half the time I end up wasting the bar on a whiffed/blocked spin flip/Rekka.

Or should I just not pick Tarkatan for zoners? Lol

Any advice would be much appreciated. Tarkatan is a very fun character to play!
Well, just remember armored Rekka's on block aren't necessarily a bad thing, especially if your opponent can no longer zone you. Depends on the character I guess.

Krawl should probably only be used on read to punish a projectile, not to cover distance, the recovery isn't as nice as a lot of slides

But yeah, you pretty much listed your options for getting in and getting a combo, however if you are just looking for a fairly safe knockdown for the zoning to stop, Tail Snag has similar range to B3, except you go into low profile state while you do it (most projectiles will whiff) and on hit, pulls him all the way towards you and knocks him down meaning you get to start your game up.

Ponkz

Noob
Well, just remember armored Rekka's on block aren't necessarily a bad thing, especially if your opponent can no longer zone you. Depends on the character I guess.

Krawl should probably only be used on read to punish a projectile, not to cover distance, the recovery isn't as nice as a lot of slides

But yeah, you pretty much listed your options for getting in and getting a combo, however if you are just looking for a fairly safe knockdown for the zoning to stop, Tail Snag has similar range to B3, except you go into low profile state while you do it (most projectiles will whiff) and on hit, pulls him all the way towards you and knocks him down meaning you get to start your game up.
Tail snag has 30 recovery frames not too many which isn't terrible.

Aliens biggest weakness in acidic and tarkatan is being zoned out, tail snag might be our best answer it's almost full screen, 14 frames and puts then right next to us.

Make sure that you are always armor breaking wake ups. The way to do this is learn the wake up timings from aliens knockdowns and do option select d3 into Exspin if they don't wake up it won't come out and then you want to instantly start pressure.

I think I'll be switching to conjurer too many sets are becoming zone fests, and I feel bad for the other person because aliens close up game Is S tier, so playing lame is the best way. Same with acidic, it's insanely good but can be kept at arms length very well.

Good find on tail snag it might even give alien a chance!

Last edited:

Vjeekes

DevilApes
@I GOT HANDS , 1 bar midscreen 39%, 40% dmg combo with jip2 off b2.

Jip2, b2, rc, f134, ex crawl, f134, bf2,1,1+3.

Connecting ex crawl after f134 is a bit tricky, you need to run cancel fast, but its worth the damage once you ve gotten it down.
How much damage does this combo do if you dont end with the 1+3?
I mean, if you cancel the rekka you can vortex and choose to go for the 6 % chip damage or a safe mixup for potentially more damage