What's new

Guide - Tarkatan Vertical, Not Horizontal: The Complete Guide to Slicing & Dicing with The New Tarkatan

JDM

Noob
It's pretty hard (for me at least) to make it gapless and safe against Reptile's slide. I couldn't imagine doing it in a real match consistently at least not yet, but who cares I'll take an ~8 percent damage for 1 bar reversal at the risk of getting comboed if I do it properly :^)

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
It's pretty hard (for me at least) to make it gapless and safe against Reptile's slide. I couldn't imagine doing it in a real match consistently at least not yet, but who cares I'll take an ~8 percent damage for 1 bar reversal at the risk of getting comboed if I do it properly :^)
it's literally 2x 2 frame links to be safe against Reptile's Slide, I too cannot do it consistently and my main opponent leveled up and learned the option select, and he mostly plays both Lao and Reptile, so it's kinda disheartening.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Oh

Oh they definitely aren't as good as tanya's, the "mixup" at the end is reactable and the gaps are very easy to spot. The variation is definitely good though.
I dont know about it being easy to spot. Just look at the Final Round results. Noone was really blowing those gaps up

I GOT HANDS

I dont know about it being easy to spot. Just look at the Final Round results. Noone was really blowing those gaps up
well, we'll see in time. If both me and my main opponent can safely armor the gaps everytime, theres no reason players much better than us won't be able to in due time

Reauxbot

well, we'll see in time. If both me and my main opponent can safely armor the gaps everytime, theres no reason players much better than us won't be able to in due time
Also execution thing. I've trapped people inside the rekka safe from time to time cause they always get hit trying to do something.
Is the person you're playing doing it correctly

I GOT HANDS

Also execution thing. I've trapped people inside the rekka safe from time to time cause they always get hit trying to do something.
Is the person you're playing doing it correctly
Can you please clarify this a bit I'm not quite sure what you are saying

Reauxbot

no because if you time your armor correctly you simply armor if there is a gap, if not you continue blocking

it option selects for you
Oh cool. I'll tell my friend then. He kept saying he was trying to armor through. Maybe he mistimed it I suppose. I wonder why high level players weren't blowing up the gap

I GOT HANDS

Oh cool. I'll tell my friend then. He kept saying he was trying to armor through. Maybe he mistimed it I suppose. I wonder why high level players weren't blowing up the gap
I think the answer is, because its like week 3 and they haven't labbed it yet

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
If Tanya was any indication at all, there will be a small group of people that will actually OS out of the rekka. Although, Alien has more tools than just the rekka so perhaps more people will have to learn the OS as a way of dealing with everything else.

I GOT HANDS

If Tanya was any indication at all, there will be a small group of people that will actually OS out of the rekka. Although, Alien has more tools than just the rekka so perhaps more people will have to learn the OS as a way of dealing with everything else.
Well, if people choose not to learn how to win the match up they have nobody to blame but themselves for losing it really

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

BNB MIDSCREEN COMBOS

||Neutral Game BnBs||

Note: Worth mentioning 214 openers can be substituted for an cancellable, non launching button or string, but most other buttons have different preferable combo paths

37% 1-Bar - 214~EX-Spin, NjP, RC, U3, F134~XStrike
37% 1-Bar - 214~EX-Krawl, B11U4, RC, B11U4, RC, 214~Snag [Switches Sides]

30% 1-Bar -
Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, NjP, RC, U3, B1, 214~XStrike [15f Far Advancing Mid]
33% 1-Bar - F4, Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, NjP, RC, U3, B1, 214~XStrike [Safe OH Combo Starter]
33% 1-Bar - B3, Rekka, 1, EX-Grab,NjP, RC, U3, B1, 214~XStrike [Safe Low Combo Starter]

35% 1-Bar - F13~EX-Flip, RC, B11U4, RC, 214~XStrike [Overhead Mix-Up]
38% 1-Bar - F134~EX-Krawl, B11U4, RC, 214 -XStrike [Low Mix-Up]

28% Meterless - NjP, RC, U3, F134~XStrike

29% 1-Bar - Ji4~EX-Flip, RC, 214~X-Strike [Option Selects nothing out on block, full combo even from fullscreen on hit]

29% Meterless - B11U4, RC, B11U4, RC, 214~Snag [Meterless Punish]

31% 1-Bar - EX-Spin, RC, U3, F134~X-Strike [9f Armored Wake-Up]
30% 1-Bar - EX-Spin, run under, B1, 214~X-Strike [Corner Wake-Up Side Swap]

30% 1-Bar - EX-Flip, RC, B11U4, RC, 214~X-Strike [17f Overhead Armour, but doesn't have a whiff window for pokes to beat it out like Spin does, probably worse for everything other than counter poking however, but we'll see how it develops in time]

||Standing Reset Pressure Midscreen BnB's||

Note: Same openers as above, but spending an extra bar to end in standing reset at +15. You can add 6% guaranteed chip by following up with F134~Rekka and build back 60% of a bar, so I'll include the total amount in brackets, or you can go for a 50/50 or mix-up pressure or whatever. Every single one of these combo's switches sides however, so worth being aware of your position relative to the closest corner when using them.

41% (47%) 2-Bar - 214~EX-Spin, NjP, RC, U3, F134~EX-Krawl, 214~Rekka, 1

31% (36%) 2-Bar -
Rekka, 1, EX Grab, NjP, JiP, RC, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1
37% (43%) 2-Bar - F4, Rekka, 1, EX Grab, NjP, RC, U3, 214~EX-Krawl, 214~Rekka, 1
37% (43%) 2-Bar - B3, Rekka, 1, EX Grab, NjP, RC, U3, 214~EX-Krawl, 214~Rekka, 1

33% (39%) 1-Bar - NjP, RC, U3, F134~EX-Krawl, 214~Rekka, 1

34% (40%) 2-Bar - Ji4~EX-Flip, RC, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

34% (40%) 2-Bar - EX-Spin, walk forward, B11U4, RC 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1
35% (41%) 2-Bar - EX-Flip, RC, B11U4, RC, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

34% (39%) 1-Bar - B11U4, RC, F134~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

BNB CORNER COMBOS

His corner game is a lot sicker than his midscreen game, his restand combo's knock and opponent out and then push them back into the corner, and do excellent damage.

36% 1-Bar - F4~Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, U3, B11U4, 214~XStrike
36% 1-Bar - B3~Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, U3, B11U4, 214~XStrike

39% 1-Bar - F13~EX-Flip, U3, U3, F134~X-Strike [Overhead first Mix-Up]
41% 1-Bar - F134~EX-Flip, U3, F134~X-Strike [Low into Overhead Mix-Up]

Those last 2 do 36% and 38% respectively assuming the mid's are blocked but the mix-up goes though. They are punishable on block however unlike the other 50/50, so they are best used during F134 pressure after jailing a restand, preferable after coaching your opponent to block it a certain way as well. However, the natural 50/50 has like 17f start up, and against someone trying to get out of the corner you may not be able to press those buttons reliably, so the start up on F1 is a great way to mix your opponent up, and in the corner you can finish the string and still cancel into Flip without it whiffing if the low happened to get through, and you can always go into Rekka pressure on block from it as well. And it's a good mid so it might just connect natural anyway if your opponent tried to poke out at the wrong time reading a slow 50/50, or something like that.

And here's where the fun stuff starts: Corner Restands!

37% (43%) 2 Bars -
F4, Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1
37% (43%) 2 Bars - B3, Rekka, 1, EX-Grab, NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

42% (48%) 2-Bars - F13~EX-Flip, NjP, U3, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1
45% (51%) 2-Bars - F134~EX-Flip, NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

32% (38%) 1-Bar - NjP, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

35% (41%) 1-Bar - B11U4, D2, 214~EX-Krawl, F23434~Rekka, 1

Shouts to @BarterRaccoon and @Metatron for the heavy contributions

So he has some pretty nice corner play! I'll get a video of it up soon, and this thread will be under heavy construction as our knowledge of the character builds. Here is the ground work though. Enjoy!

Damn, awesome job man. This is great.

I GOT HANDS

Nah, my Alien is kinda taking a back seat for CSZ as of now, I tuned up some of the descriptions on here, but I don't have a huge amount to add as it stands. At least the guide is in a pretty good state for anyone who might be needing a guide, I'll add more stuff as more comes to light I guess but there isn't a huge amount to add. I think I'm gonna tune some combos up the NjP one isn't practical at the moment, and ill add that the B1 214 route is much easier for anyone looking for the best alternative at -1%. I'll get to that later today hopefully

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Nah, my Alien is kinda taking a back seat for CSZ as of now, I tuned up some of the descriptions on here, but I don't have a huge amount to add as it stands. At least the guide is in a pretty good state for anyone who might be needing a guide, I'll add more stuff as more comes to light I guess but there isn't a huge amount to add. I think I'm gonna tune some combos up the NjP one isn't practical at the moment, and ill add that the B1 214 route is much easier for anyone looking for the best alternative at -1%. I'll get to that later today hopefully
You should have done the csz guide. Im actually using him right now too lol. Only have issues in the neutral

I GOT HANDS

You should have done the csz guide. Im actually using him right now too lol. Only have issues in the neutral
RM Ree has a decent guide up, CSZ is a lot harder on execution and a lot more in depth in playstyle than Alien so I wouldn't have been able to get that guide up yet anyway , but I appreciate the love :) I just write guides for myself when I'm teaching myself a character that there isn't much info out there on, and then kinda elaborate a little share the info with everyone

I guess youll only be Able to aa 3-4 times a match since you need meter. Its worlds better than cyclone
meterless spin is a good AA as well

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
RM Ree has a decent guide up, CSZ is a lot harder on execution and a lot more in depth in playstyle than Alien so I wouldn't have been able to get that guide up yet anyway , but I appreciate the love :) I just write guides for myself when I'm teaching myself a character that there isn't much info out there on, and then kinda elaborate a little share the info with everyone

meterless spin is a good AA as well
Like i said its not even close to u3