What's new

Unnecessary Execution Barriers / Extra Button Inputs

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
I generally think that the whole execution thing is a pretentious fake difficulty just so that "it isn't so easy".
The problem is, in mk you can just jump and win.
Not true. Jumping on just over half the cast will get you blown up

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
The reason there are high execution characters is to cater to people that enjoy high execution. Being able to incorporate playstyles that a wide range of people like is one of the benefits of having a large cast.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Still no idea how people struggle with laos fast punch string, play the dude for fun every now and then and its easy. Wouldnt even be on a top 5 list for me.
Slow thumbs/hands man. I suffer from this and it pisses me off all the time. I can't do the string most of the time because I literally couldn't input it fast enough. It sounds stupid but it's true.

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
The reason there are high execution characters is to cater to people that enjoy high execution. Being able to incorporate playstyles that a wide range of people like is one of the benefits of having a large cast.
We're not talking about high execution, just UNNECESSARY execution.
Strings and moves that shouldnt be as hard as they are, just for the sake of being harder.

NRS includes stuff like cancels to cater to those that feel rewarded for performing them, but the rest of us who want to do a simple string have to do these dumb directions for literally no reason. Its like someone at NRS didnt like how normal the move lists looked so they thought adding random directions to them would make them feel cooler.

This thread triggers me so hard.

(Not singling u out btw)

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Slow thumbs/hands man. I suffer from this and it pisses me off all the time. I can't do the string most of the time because I literally couldn't input it fast enough. It sounds stupid but it's true.
^This 110%.
I have trouble doing raw command grabs because my fingers cant move fast enough. I have to buffer it behind pokes (tick throws) and in combos. I cant do them raw, and I have a very hard time doing stuff like jason b1 tick throws.

Have you tried pressing 11 then pressing 1+2 at the same time twice?

When playing MK4 when I was little I remember thinking about how inputs kind of resemble character movements. After Tremor's 21d4 you can see his leg going down, which is emphasized by the d4 input. Maybe devs wanted to make this kind of connection between inputs and characters' moves ;)
I feel like this is a very accurate statement. If you pay attention you will see that most moves actually represent their visual movement in button inputs. I started playing MKX a few month ago (as the first fighting game i ever played) so I am a true beginner. That said, I realized whenever checking out a new character I can kinda figure out the inputs for most moves by myself! I know how the move looks (e.g. because i've seen it in tournaments over and over again) and then I try to find the button inputs by breaking down the visual movement. It works pretty well.
I personaly don't think NRS just wants to make it more difficult by addding harder execution to strings and specials...I think they want to match visual movement to button inputs :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The only unnecessary thing about execution barriers in MK games is that it won't make your character great, there is no point in having weak characters with high execution barriers and top ones with potato moves you can do with your eyes closed.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Actually wait.

Obvious example is jax command grab. Would be justified if it did huge damage but it doesnt

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
Hey guys just wanted to post on this aspect of the game.

There are certain strings/moves that I feel have an unnesscary added level of execution to pull off.

First off I'll use Tremor as an example.

Now tremor has his 123 string and his 12 down+3 string. It makes sense that the down is added to the second string in order to differentiate the inputs between the two strings.

However, when you look at his 21 down+4 up+4 string. It doesn't make sense to have the extra directions inputs there. Theres no 214 string. Theres no 2144 string. Why the extra direction inputs? Just to make pulling off the string more difficult? I know its not very difficult to do the string but I've still missed the string many times by hitting the down too early or too late. It seems like any unnesscary executional barrier.

The same can be said for his back+1 down+4 string and also Jacqui's foward+2 up+2 string.
Theres only one string Jacqui gets off her foward+2, why can't the string just be foward+2 2?

I'm sure there are other characters with strings like this but this two characters stand out in my mind because these particular strings are very important for their combos/pressure.

Now in other games like Tekken, there are lots of strings, so many that the developers have to get creative with the inputs in order to differentiate them. But in this game it seems like the strings have added complexity just to be annoying to pull off.
You sound like a World of Warcraft casual crying on the Forums that your 5th and 6th spells are too much to handle.

Be thankful how easy NRS games are in the execution department.

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
You sound like a World of Warcraft casual crying on the Forums that your 5th and 6th spells are too much to handle.

Be thankful how easy NRS games are in the execution department.
I dont think anyone is saying mkx is hard. its not. Nowhere near. Id say smash bros is a harder fighting game.
Closest thing to hard was sonyas old negative edge stuff.

Just why add execution where its not needed. MKX has inconsistent execution. Like why is sun gods command grab db2 and not all the other command grabs?

People are totally misinterpreting what this thread is about.

not saying make execution easier. But dont make it harder for no reason.

Zaccel

Noob
I'm not even sure this thread is about 'difficulty'. It's just that, with something like Jacqui's Stanky Leg, it's not really hard to do. It's just busywork. Busywork for your hands.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
I dont think anyone is saying mkx is hard. its not. Nowhere near. Id say smash bros is a harder fighting game.
Closest thing to hard was sonyas old negative edge stuff.

Just why add execution where its not needed. MKX has inconsistent execution. Like why is sun gods command grab db2 and not all the other command grabs?

People are totally misinterpreting what this thread is about.

not saying make execution easier. But dont make it harder for no reason.
About the Sun God's Command Grab i can agree and i'm wondering about that since 1st days after the game's relese.

It's strange how a ultra-abysmally easy to execute character with super small command list has his Command Grab with simpler input than other characters with 2-3 times bigger command lists and ''Grabs''.:confused:

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I've played some anime fighters. I played marvel, persona, sf4/sf5. And honestly this game gives me the most problems. Atleast with certain characters. Of course scorpion, sub zero, and kung jin are braindead easy but then you have characters like jacqui, jax, and commando kano that are just ridiculous in terms of the execution needed. It took me weeks to get Jax bnbs down but even now I still drop them a lot in matches.

But anyway I wasn't trying to talk about overall execution. Just about how some strings have unneeded inputs.
sub zero easy ? try cryomancer combos like midscreen f112 f112 d1 b12 command grab or his 1 tick throw or b3 tick throw lol

UPR_Nova

Noob
How in the hell is the OP completely lost after 2 pages? Homie didn't even mention anything about difficult execution. He is having an issue with "why the world does my character do an 'up' movement when I'm hitting 'down' on the pad?" 3/4 of replies probably didn't even read the OP and assumed he is struggling to hit buttons. Negative Nancy, bro.

Edit: I guess I should also say that, who the hell knows why they have inputs like that. The only time you need that stuff (as the OP mentioned) is to separate similar strings. Kinda like Jax 123 and 12d3 or whatever that string is that I refuse to use for some unknown reason.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm going to chime in and say that I too struggle with Kung Lao's 1221211221221221212121212111222222 string as well as Erron Black's 211212112122212121212 string. I just can't hit them consistently. I play on stick, so I'm not sure if that should help or is hindering me. Either way, it's the reason I quickly lose interest in playing them. I can do the strings here and there, but it's just not consistent. I'm not sure why the button input is so weird for those strings. At least, they're weird to me.

As a Tekken player, the command grabs are pretty easy, as many Tekken characters have similar inputs for their command grabs.