What's new

Unnecessary Execution Barriers / Extra Button Inputs

Hey guys just wanted to post on this aspect of the game.

There are certain strings/moves that I feel have an unnesscary added level of execution to pull off.

First off I'll use Tremor as an example.

Now tremor has his 123 string and his 12 down+3 string. It makes sense that the down is added to the second string in order to differentiate the inputs between the two strings.

However, when you look at his 21 down+4 up+4 string. It doesn't make sense to have the extra directions inputs there. Theres no 214 string. Theres no 2144 string. Why the extra direction inputs? Just to make pulling off the string more difficult? I know its not very difficult to do the string but I've still missed the string many times by hitting the down too early or too late. It seems like any unnesscary executional barrier.

The same can be said for his back+1 down+4 string and also Jacqui's foward+2 up+2 string.
Theres only one string Jacqui gets off her foward+2, why can't the string just be foward+2 2?

I'm sure there are other characters with strings like this but this two characters stand out in my mind because these particular strings are very important for their combos/pressure.

Now in other games like Tekken, there are lots of strings, so many that the developers have to get creative with the inputs in order to differentiate them. But in this game it seems like the strings have added complexity just to be annoying to pull off.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This game is fairly easy to execute tbh.
Want to see bad, try any anime fighter or the VF series.

Yeah, it's lame that you can't just focus on fighting but #itiswhatitiswhatitis
It's just how the genre works.

Tomek

Noob
When playing MK4 when I was little I remember thinking about how inputs kind of resemble character movements. After Tremor's 21d4 you can see his leg going down, which is emphasized by the d4 input. Maybe devs wanted to make this kind of connection between inputs and characters' moves ;)

This game is fairly easy to execute tbh.
Want to see bad, try any anime fighter or the VF series.

Yeah, it's lame that you can't just focus on fighting but #itiswhatitiswhatitis
It's just how the genre works.
I've played some anime fighters. I played marvel, persona, sf4/sf5. And honestly this game gives me the most problems. Atleast with certain characters. Of course scorpion, sub zero, and kung jin are braindead easy but then you have characters like jacqui, jax, and commando kano that are just ridiculous in terms of the execution needed. It took me weeks to get Jax bnbs down but even now I still drop them a lot in matches.

But anyway I wasn't trying to talk about overall execution. Just about how some strings have unneeded inputs.

When playing MK4 when I was little I remember thinking about how inputs kind of resemble character movements. After Tremor's 21d4 you can see his leg going down, which is emphasized by the d4 input. Maybe devs wanted to make this kind of connection between inputs and characters' moves ;)
Yeah, that's probably it. Doesn't seem like a good reason to me though.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I generally think that the whole execution thing is a pretentious fake difficulty just so that "it isn't so easy".
The problem is, in mk you can just jump and win.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
The only inputs i struggle with is command grabs, escpecially when they have a similar input for another slecial move. Like Butcher has db1 and dbf1...

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I've played most of KoF characters on high level and i still find Displacer Raiden to be the most annoying character when it comes to executions.

I Am about to crack displacer with upcoming hitbox. Kabals dash cancels were less pain In the ass ...

MK is In generał easy In terms of execution.

Its more cosmetic than anything. I personally like high execution bc seeing it pulled off in a match is pretty cool. It can also be used for balancing...but tbh nobody would care. If it was OP then people would scream nerf

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree. Command grab inputs used to piss me off but you can get them like anything else if u practice but there's literally no reason for them to be that way.

Some characters like Displacer make me emo because he's so good and so cool but I don't wanna learn F12b2 3x when I can herp derp it with Sub-Zero so it's kind of teasing me.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I agree. Command grab inputs used to piss me off but you can get them like anything else if u practice but there's literally no reason for them to be that way.

Some characters like Displacer make me emo because he's so good and so cool but I don't wanna learn F12b2 3x when I can herp derp it with Sub-Zero so it's kind of teasing me.
Displacer is good now?
PS: I've been out of the game for a while...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Displacer is good now?
PS: I've been out of the game for a while...
Yeah he's crazy mobile and hard to contain, hits like a truck, he has good pressure, he does stuff that no other character does really. I'm intrigued by him for sure and am trying to learn more about him.

I vote for kung laos chain fist if I have to learn a technique to do a combo there's a problem. There is no reason why I should have to get used to rolling my fingers over 1 and 2, pushing 1 first then 2 1 2 or whatever it was. Every time I try to practice I stop and go play someone else. bruh why would you do that to yourself

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
down back forward inputs are the dumbest and most unnecessary thing in every NRS game but other than that and stupid down up or down down inputs execution is easy in this and other NRS games.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
The only time I found a string input stupid is when I play CO, her B142 string comes out if oppoonent back dash the gap in B1*4, then I get punished for a full combo. In such case, the string input should be changed to B14U2 to prevent B14db2 coming out the full string when second hit whiffs

Wigy

There it is...
Still no idea how people struggle with laos fast punch string, play the dude for fun every now and then and its easy. Wouldnt even be on a top 5 list for me.

B1 bug cancel link is up there
333skc into f3 midscreen is up there
Etc

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I don't play any other fighters except NRS (probably gonna get into Tekken 7) but from my understanding, isn't high execution rewardered in other fighters? In this game it's more like high execution leads to the normal damage most of the cast can get easier. The only time high execution has been rewarded in this game is with cancel characters. Also I agree with some of the dumb strings, they make no sense. I'm not saying they're hard but as @chr1sam stated whats the point of the added difficulty? It just turns newer people to the character off.

Tbh this thread could also segway into "why are there so many useless strings in this game?" lmao