What's new

TYM's Injustice 2 Discussion Thread (Harley Quinn & Deadshot Official Announced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK FIGHTER

Knife Fight
Are we going to have to deal with that stupid three variation system yet again;
BATMAN = Ben (stupid) Affleck / Christian (awesome) Bale / Adam (classic) West.
SUPERMAN = Stupidman / Man of Stupid / More Stupidness.
WONDER WOMAN = Stupidly Useless / Broken / High Unlikeability.

Oh and for heaven's sake please have a block button and faster walk speeds. But we all know what NRS will do, TOTALLY F%#K IT UP AGAIN. Sorry NRS, you're not getting my money this time with Injustice 2. Nope.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Are we going to have to deal with that stupid three variation system yet again;
BATMAN = Ben (stupid) Affleck / Christian (awesome) Bale / Adam (classic) West.
SUPERMAN = Stupidman / Man of Stupid / More Stupidness.
WONDER WOMAN = Stupidly Useless / Broken / High Unlikeability.

Oh and for heaven's sake please have a block button and faster walk speeds. But we all know what NRS will do, TOTALLY F%#K IT UP AGAIN. Sorry NRS, you're not getting my money this time with Injustice 2. Nope.
If you want faster walk speeds (presumably to help with neutral/footsies) then why would you also want a block button? Block button does nothing but make the neutral choppy. It works in MK9 when you played footsies with dash cancels but in Injustice you have to commit to your dashes so walking is how you played footsies, you cant play footsies when you have to constantly press a button to block rather than walk back and forth smoothly

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
@Wetdoba if you look at later footage in mk9's life there is a heck of a lot more walking going (there is still dash cancelling but the footsies became more fleshed out). Mkx footsies are unique to mkx due to the run button. Just like igau had unique footsies to it as you previously stated.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
@Wetdoba if you look at later footage in mk9's life there is a heck of a lot more walking going (there is still dash cancelling but the footsies became more fleshed out). Mkx footsies are unique to mkx due to the run button. Just like igau had unique footsies to it as you previously stated.
Walking was used more but dash cancelling was still an option at all times. Injustice would not work with running, dash cancelling, or a block button. There is no reason for NRS to scrap the formula they had after just one game and start over because some people want to play MK with DC costumes on. Keep it Injustice

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
That also means NRS has to focus on balancing 100 variations and we all know their track record with that. Major things get ignored, unnecessary changes are made, low-tiers are nerfed for whatever reason, etc.

I'd rather them have a much smaller pool of things to worry about for the sake of balance.
MK9 and injustice weren't balanced either. I d argue that MKX is more balanced than previous entries.

At least with 3 variations your favourite character gets one good variation.

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
MK9 and injustice weren't balanced either. I d argue that MKX is more balanced than previous entries.
Its balanced but for the wrong reasons: every character is stupid as fuck and loaded with gimmicks, armor, and 50-50s. Its not hard to balance 90 variations when they all have the same stupid shit, at least in Injustice characters were dumb in their own unique way

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
The games were night and day, they shared almost no base mechanics with each other besides strings/specials combo system. The game would not be made "inferior" or have less content because of no variations, variations were nothing more than a marketing gimmick NRS used for MKX only, it will not be in every NRS game from here on out. Variations will be replaced by extra base characters or other forms of content, that is how resource allocation works
Look you can turn this in whatever way you want but the fact is injustice was updated MK9. They added some extra mechanics but the base gameplay was same as MK9. You can take a character from MK9 port him to injustice, turn one of his special moves into a trait, give him a ball bounce animation and call it a day.

No variations =/= more characters. Variations or not we aren't going to get more than 24 on disc characters.

A new character requires:
6-10 special moves
30+ normals
15-20 combo strings
New super/x-ray
Hitbox/hurtbox
New intros
Victory pose
Ending

Compared to variation, where you only need:
2-3 new normals
3-5 new combo strings
3-4 special moves

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
...every character is stupid as fuck and loaded with gimmicks, armor, and 50-50s. Its not hard to balance 90 variations when they all have the same stupid shit, at least in Injustice characters were dumb in their own unique way
And we should thank IGAU for that, it was IGAU who brought us the damn 50/50 with batgirl, the "gimmicks" with Killer Frost slide, Black adam dive kick, etc. The armor with Doomsday, and you forgot the far reach safe commands with F2,3 man. Plus interactables (But they were welcomed). So I don't see any problem with IGAU2 having variations or any other feature from MKX. And maybe you consider MKX repetitive but it is more fun by far than IGAU, but sure, this is subjective.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
And we should thank IGAU for that, it was IGAU who brought us the damn 50/50 with batgirl, the "gimmicks" with Killer Frost slide, Black adam dive kick, etc. The armor with Doomsday, and you forgot the far reach safe commands with F2,3 man. Plus interactables (But they were welcomed). So I don't see any problem with IGAU2 having variations or any other feature from MKX. And maybe you consider MKX repetitive but it is more fun by far than IGAU, but sure, this is subjective.
But heres the difference, in IGAU those gimmicks and BS were spread throughout multiple characters. Black Adam didnt have an overhead and low starter, reversal standing armor, AND divekick, he just had divekick. Batgirl didnt have safe 50-50 vortex AND all this other shit... the BS was character specific, in MKX they decided to copy and paste it all to everyone and then add in a run feature so you could instantly get in and start your BS immediately without even having to show any patience in the neutral at all, advancing strings like F23 also made sense when the screen is zoomed out so far, Injustice neutral was at a farther distance than MKX, but in MKX when full screen distance is half of Injustices but you still have characters with moves that advance just as far it becomes a real problem. And besides, no one told NRS to take the BS and give it to everyone, thats on them. People complained about Batgirl 50-50s and then NRS decided to make a game of cracked out batgirls, all we can hope is they dont make the same mistake... again... that is the difference

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Black Adam had a 15f OH in B2, just by the way.

and I completely disagree it was just an updated mk9. Didn't feel like that at all to me.
Yes he had an overhead starter but no low starter as well, that was my point. BA also had to spend meter to combo off divekick and it actually had recovery on whiff. Meanwhile Sonya has meterless divekick into combo, no whiff recovery, standing meterless 50-50s and then everything her variations give her on top of that like bombs and drones that act as free combo breakers that start combos as well...

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
One more suggestion.

In addition to variations giving you access to few special moves they can make the enhanced version of universal special moves different for each variation to further differentiate between variations.
For example.

Batman's batarang is universal move but there is no enhanced universal batarang.

Variation 1
Enhanced batarang is explosive batarang that pops up opponent.

Variation 2
Enhanced batarang is sonic batarang that summons bats to deal damage over time.

Variation 3
Enhanced batarang is shock batarang that stuns opponent setting him/her for free hit.
If Black canary makes the cut, this is how she should be.

Universal moves.
She is known for her Canary cry so it is fitting that her universals revolve around her canary power.

Canary cry that disorients opponent.
Canary cry that destroys projectiles.
Canary cry that knocks opponent away.
Anti Air canary cry.
Low canary cry.

Variation 1.
Canary uses her martial arts skills, particularly boxing and kick boxing to rushdown her opponent.

Variation 2.
In this variation canary gains command grab moves which enhance her grappling and wrestling game.
suplex
DDT
Ground & pound
Neck breaker
Arm lock
Leg lock

Variation 3.
In this variation canary uses batons for extra range and gains various moves utilizing batons.

At least with 3 variations your favourite character gets one good variation.
Look you can turn this in whatever way you want but the fact is injustice was updated MK9. They added some extra mechanics but the base gameplay was same as MK9. You can take a character from MK9 port him to injustice, turn one of his special moves into a trait, give him a ball bounce animation and call it a day.

No variations =/= more characters. Variations or not we aren't going to get more than 24 on disc characters.

A new character requires:
6-10 special moves
30+ normals
15-20 combo strings
New super/x-ray
Hitbox/hurtbox
New intros
Victory pose
Ending

Compared to variation, where you only need:
2-3 new normals
3-5 new combo strings
3-4 special moves
Stop

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
When people say more or less balanced I have to ask: what is your definition of "balanced"?
Balanced to me is regardless of the character's tier, they have the tools to handle their bad MUs.

More or less balanced means to me that they more or less have an option that addresses something problematic within any mu they might have.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
What the... Clearly you've never actually played Injustice.

> Says Injustice was updated MK9
> Wants variations in Injustice 2

Yeah I'm out.
That's exactly what I have been saying. Injustice was mk9 updated, that's the why I don't have problem with then bringing back things that are interesting. If you are gonna re-use the same engine and mechanics them fully embrace it instead of giving us inferior product.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

That's exactly what I have been saying. Injustice was mk9 updated, that's the why I don't have problem with then bringing back things that are interesting. If you are gonna re-use the same engine and mechanics them fully embrace it instead of giving us inferior product.
Where are you getting this from? They're polar opposites when it comes down to mechanics. So what if they shared the same engine? NRS was contracted to using UE3 until the contract expired, so they didn't really have a choice other than to "re-use" it.

One of the biggest differences between the two is how you block. The fact that Injustice had cross-ups and MK9 didn't separates them a great deal already. The entire meta around blocking/defense changes drastically between the two games because in one game you have to worry about something that you don't have to worry about in another.

Throw teching was vastly different. Injustice's was similar to Street Fighter and other games that shared the same mechanic. MK9 (MKX too) have a weird throw teching mechanic.

I could go on if necessary. But the differences between the two are pretty clear. What they share doesn't make them wholly similar. At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.