What's new

Turning Liu Kangs F43xx Tools Against Him (Short Guide)

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
all of em ;)
Its kind of strange Liu is considered #1 now?
He got a ton of nerfs last patch and the only buff he got to his Lohan Quan was jailing is easier since he always could jail from D1 and all the other changes nerfed his F3, Fireball recovery and cancels from F3333.

People are talking about jailing amped fireball from B124 and B2 is so strong but the third hit has a gap that you can duck on reaction so amped fireball is punishable on every string in high level play.
I honestly don't get how he jumped so high on the tier list? I know he is very good but how are others not above him?
Take into consideration nearly everyone else got buffs to jailing from pokes and I just dont see it He does have weaknesses like being outranged by a good amount of the cast, his wiffing issues and his only gap closer to make up for lack of range is flykick and its death on block.

Last edited:
You sound like broken gramophone, time after time, and time after time, and time after time, the same and the same, trying to prove people something that is not true.

If all the options are punishable on reaction and was so easy on High level, explain why Scar get constantly fu**** by his F4. :D
This is a good video for the people who were talking how Sonya has all the tools.
Yet we clearly see how Liu Kang outzone her with ease, and destroy her thanks to his imba KBs and his FB.

So keep repeating that time after time, someone may actually believe you.
In the next patch i hope they bring that s** lame hero to the ground and im pretty sure he will get his *** nerfed.
No character should have a move with 34283827326773624672392894862648 option, that is safe on block.

Last edited:

kcd117

Noob
Its kind of strange Liu is considered #1 now?
He got a ton of nerfs last patch and the only buff he got to his Lohan Quan was jailing is easier since he always could jail from D1 and all the other changes nerfed his F3, Fireball recovery and cancels from F3333.

People are talking about jailing amped fireball from B124 and B2 is so strong but the third hit has a gap that you can duck on reaction so amped fireball is punishable on every string in high level play.
I honestly don't get how he jumped so high on the tier list? I know he is very good but how are others not above him?
Take into consideration nearly everyone else got buffs to jailing from pokes and I just dont see it He does have weaknesses like being outranged by a good amount of the cast, his wiffing issues and his only gap closer to make up for lack of range is flykick and its death on block.
There are not a lot of characters that have as many layers in so many moves like he does.

Like, in order to counter Liu for pretty much anything he does you have to read it. If you have to read it, it simply comes down to a guess. It can be a guess you make based on the evidence and patterns you recognized, but it is not less of a guess.

When you block a jump in, a F4, F43, F43U3, B1, B124, S1, S12, B3, B34, low fireball, high fireball u have to guess. Every time. Let's say he jumps in at you. Guess #1 is he going for a mid, for a high or for a throw? If you guess right about the mid and he does a F4, you are welcome to guess #2 territory, is he gonna stagger, or continue the string? U guessed he'd continue the string, and he did, now you have to take the guess #3, is he gonna do U3, low fireball, high fireball, shaolin stance, stagger, parry. U guessed he'd use the low fireball and that is just what he did, so now you are rewarded with guess #4, is he gonna amplify it or not? If you guess right, after 4 consecutive guesses you finally get to punish him! Now let's take a closer look at the guesses. in the guess #1, what would have happened if he did a 12 instead of F4? He'd be +3, so you'd have to do the same guessing again and he can simply loop it for as long as you guess wrong, especially if you are in the corner. In layer 2, the same thing could happen. Layer 3, the same thing could happen... I'll not even bother listing all of his options and all of your options and all of his options to counter your options bc anyone that has played a half-decent Liu should know how disgusting it is by now.

What makes Liu strong is that every time he touches you, you are guessing, and when you guess right, you are guessing again, and then again, and again and again until you finally guess wrong and he deletes you with a 60% KB combo or he realizes that he had you guessing wrong some times and has enough lead to make you guess in his keep-away game for the rest of the round bc if you happen to get in he can just make you guess again for as long as you are able to in his pressure game.

I really can't understand how people think this character is even close to being balanced. He is not the only one to make you guess 24/7 (and I believe all of them should be touched), but he is definitely the most oppressive one.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
You sound like broken gramophone, time after time, and time after time, and time after time, the same and the same, trying to prove people something that is not true.

If all the options are punishable on reaction and was so easy on High level, explain why Scar get constantly fu**** by his F4. :D
This is a good video for the people who were talking how Sonya has all the tools.
Yet we clearly see how Liu Kang outzone her with ease, and destroy her thanks to his imba KBs and his FB.

So keep repeating that time after time, someone may actually believe you.
In the next patch i hope they bring that s** lame hero to the ground and im pretty sure he will get his *** nerfed.
No character should have a move with 34283827326773624672392894862648 option, that is safe on block.
I get that you have an axe to grind against Liu but do you really want a character nerfed into the ground? We are back here again? Could he use some balance? Sure. The whole game could. But destroying a character is not the way

This the NRS way of balancing. They just changing the guard, instead of proper balance through the whole roster.
What is the point of changing Sonya with Liu, Cassie with Kabal, Erron with Noob and then change this at the top with some other characters?
The character i mention were just example.
As far as Liu Kang goes. I dont believe in just nerfing. If you nerf something, change something else and buff it. Take something, but give something. Otherwise you are doing nothing and will only piss people.
This goes for all characters not just him.
The other things i believe is a problem is the FBs, KBs and throw KBs. They should simply not exist(KB on throws). Right now you are punish for teching a throw, which is ridiculous. This is for all character. As far as FB goes, after you miss it, it should be gone for the round, and if you miss it, for all character there should be a big gap for punish. Cause right now some character are safe even if they miss their FB. Liu Kang for example have ridiculous Block Stun on his FB, and unless i flawless block, my only option is a small window to punish it with a Shoulder Charge. A lot of character have FB, that is very hard or simply unpunishable if done right.
I also think you should not be able to FB from combo and do 500+ dmg. FB should be "solo" move.
This is universal changes, but will hit some character, that can abuse OP mechanics.
As far as Liu Kang specifically, right now the main problem is the cheap way he have to steal round after rounds. His FB and KB are made so easy for that.
You are bringing his HP down, but at the end you are the one that get killed. He have easy time conditioning his KBs so he can land it on the decisive round that is matter for him, and you cant do a shit.
Something needs to be done about his pressure as well. He can steal so many turns right now.
The way other characters are right now, his zoning for all rounder is pretty op as well. Low, high, air Fireballs, and the main problem come from the amplification. Right now no one can zone with him, even pure zoners have problem with him. He also have almost full screen Flying Dragon Kick, that f**** you even more.
Some of his tools needs to be touched. Few things need to be taken away, but as i said at the begining, to proper balance you need to take something, but give something as well.
Cause the balance right now, change Cassie or Sonya or etc with Liu Kang or Kabal or etc is pretty stupid.
P.P. I forget to ask again, is there any other move in the game, that have 3482327372377 option after the "main string" that is safe?
Cause for example with Sub my only option after any of my string is to either finish the string for exampe B3,2,1 or to go for Ice Ball and im full punishable then if they block.
And how fair is for Jonny to have like zero useable KBs and to have just high ForceBall zoning tool, and on the opposite side Liu Kang to low fireball him, amplify for low and high at the same time, and to have like 3-4-5 very strong that he can use it like every single round.
Should i even mention the FB of the two ?

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
He obviously is imba, but what really makes him broken is not his perfect pressure game, and that he can steal you 23728382372737 turns, but how this character is make, to have a easy day at the office. Let me explain what i mean:
He have the best FB in the game, hands down. Has good range, its very fast, his FB have hitbox issue and can hit you even from behind. It has the best damage scaling, the moment you are bringing his health down to 30% is the moment you die. Its easy 40%+ damage, cause he just need 1 hit confirm and he will FB and you lose the round, he can land his FB late on the combo, and because of almost non damage scaling he can drain you for 55%+.
And what the funny part is, smart Liu Kang player condition themself to his KB and in the decisive game, they are going to drain your health pretty fast, pretty easy.
They most likely will have 2,3 or 4 KB, that are ready to go, because the condition for them is super easy. They will have KB ready on his Bicycle Kick(you cant brakeaway), he will have his KB ready on a throw, and if thats not enough he have easy to get KB on his High Kick on his F4 combo, also on his Flying Dragon Kick, that is a completely broken move, if you take into the consideration he also have the best zoning for mixed character. No need to mention he have KB ready to go on his parry move as well.

Rewind is a great player, but untill he switched to Liu Kang in MK11 his result suck**** hard. He switched to Liu and results start to coming.

People were complaining about Cassie, but she doesnt have a f**** whole screen anti air, anti zoning tool, she doesnt have imba FB, she doesn`t have such high damage potential, and she had like 1 or 2 useful KB, that was not big damage, and you could not combo on them. Also her so call annoying "low" shot was actually mid, and you can block it by standing.
If you think Liu Kang has the best FB in the game then I don't know what to say (this thread is full of up play) . Give him Jax or Kabal's FB. I would take that nerf.

Liu Kang is good or the best. He is not broken and whiffs on many females and Johnny. Someone has to be top tier- let it be him then. He is the Champion.

If you read my previous post you would know why i think he has the best FB.
It has the best damage scaling, which is the most important thing if its easy to land and Liu Kang FB have great range, its 16frame, and its hard to punish, because of the block stun, that send you 5 meter away.
But most importantly you can combo from it in the begining of the combo or late for very solid damage.
Jax also have great FB, but the scaling is worst, in terms of landing its better, but that is it.
Kabal FB its nothing special and its not even close to it. Its easy punishable on block, even if you are half asleep, and the startup is 21frame, most people can react to it, mostly because of the unique animation it have.

Parasurama

Dragon
If you read my previous post you would know why i think he has the best FB.
It has the best damage scaling, which is the most important thing if its easy to land and Liu Kang FB have great range, its 16frame, and its hard to punish, because of the block stun, that send you 5 meter away.
But most importantly you can combo from it in the begining of the combo or late for very solid damage.
Jax also have great FB, but the scaling is worst, in terms of landing its better, but that is it.
Kabal FB its nothing special and its not even close to it. Its easy punishable on block, even if you are half asleep, and the startup is 21frame, most people can react to it, mostly because of the unique animation it have.
Still I would prefer them. Especially Jax with knock down advantage. Skarlet and Sonya have better damage scaling from what I have seen although you may be right. Skarlet does like 3 hits into FB and it is like 46 percent.

You can prefer a lot of things, but that doesnt make it right.
Sonya damage scaling is a lot behind Liu Kang.
Scarlet have good scaling, but i think its still behind than Liu. But her FB has zero range and its a lot harder to land.
If you look at all factor combined, Liu hands down is the best.
P.P. Sub Zero also have good damage scaling FB, but you can low-profiled it and its 25frame, and its easy punishable on block.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
@lordlosh, If you spent half as much time in the lab as you did writing essays on why Liu is mean, I think you would have a lot less problems with him.
The issues you have with Liu have, firstly been explained to you many times and secondly, are obviously a sign that you are getting outplayed.
Hell that quote from you speaks volumes
He have easy time conditioning his KBs so he can land it on the decisive round that is matter for him, and you cant do a shit
Just because you get easily conditioned, doesnt mean everyone does. The problem isnt Liu, it's you.

PreNerf_

No labels
I wish people would lab shit up and quit crying for nerfs. It honestly pisses me off when you see people bitching and whining about nerfing every character in the game instead of just labbing it up. I have never ever!!! Had a problem with Liu Kang. I actually mained him when the game first came out for about a total of two weeks. That's probably why I have no problems against him cause I know all of his weaknesses. I actually labbed it up. It was the same thing with scorpion players. Everyone and their dog were crying that scorpion was too op cause of his teleport. What's funny is it took me all of but two sessions in the lab against scorpion before I started wrecking scorpions online. And guess what move that I love them doing the most?!? Teleport!!! It's the easiest way to punish him. There is not one character in this game so far that has been so oppressive that you can't find a way around their shenanigans as long as you lab the matchup. Some characters are really annoying to play against specially when you are maining characters that have a problem with them, but every character in this game came prenerfed and watered down. Do characters need to be so strong that no other character in the game can beat them? NO!!! But that does not exist In this game. Granted, prepatch their were a couple characters that had almost everything and we're hard to deal with and I my humble opinion, Liu Kang was not one of them. I don't play Liu Kang, and would it hurt my gameplay at all if he was turned to trash? No! It's not him getting thrown under the bus that would make me upset. It's characters getting nerfed into the dirt because online Nerf Stan's are salty cause they aren't playing the matchup right.
@LawAbidingCitizen wrote this to give you the tools to be able to beat him. Did he need to? Hell no!!! Instead of trying to get other people's characters ruined, try taking his advice and labbing it up. Once you can punish everything he has on reaction maybe your mind will change.

@lordlosh, If you spent half as much time in the lab as you did writing essays on why Liu is mean, I think you would have a lot less problems with him.
The issues you have with Liu have, firstly been explained to you many times and secondly, are obviously a sign that you are getting outplayed.
Hell that quote from you speaks volumes

Just because you get easily conditioned, doesnt mean everyone does. The problem isnt Liu, it's you.
Did you watch pro replays? Did you watch the ft10 from few days ago between Scar and ninja ? You think the difference in skill level is that big?
You see how easy ninja condition the KB and how many rounds he stole with his FB?
You just need a little bit of brain and skill to get most of his KBs ready to go. What exactly you need? To connect 2 time with a combo for his Bicycle Kick, good Liu Kang players, almost always have this KB ready to go, if the match go to the decider. You need 1 failed tech from the opponent and you have KB ready in both throws. Top Liu Kang players grab a lot. And even this 2 KBs is already big enough. Yet he have a free KB on his F4, that top Liu Kang players land like 99,99% of the time.
Flying Dragon Kick and Dragon Parry are a bit tricky, but lately if you watch ninjakilla he land the Parry KBs a lot.

And im talking about Liu Kang at High-to Pro level gameplay. Because games are not and should not be balanced at low to mid level of gameplay.
My problem is how NRS decide to balance the game and just change the guard at the top. Not that i have big problem against Liu Kang.
In terms of knowing the match up, he is probably my easiest matchup. Because when i go Lab to train for reaction and so on i use him most of the time, and i like to train against his zoning tools. I like Cassie a lot of that, but his "low shot" is actually mid, and i dont need to crouch, so Liu is better for that exercise.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Did you watch pro replays? Did you watch the ft10 from few days ago between Scar and ninja ? You think the difference in skill level is that big?
You see how easy ninja condition the KB and how many rounds he stole with his FB?
You just need a little bit of brain and skill to get most of his KBs ready to go. What exactly you need? To connect 2 time with a combo for his Bicycle Kick, good Liu Kang players, almost always have this KB ready to go, if the match go to the decider. You need 1 failed tech from the opponent and you have KB ready in both throws. Top Liu Kang players grab a lot. And even this 2 KBs is already big enough. Yet he have a free KB on his F4, that top Liu Kang players land like 99,99% of the time.
Flying Dragon Kick and Dragon Parry are a bit tricky, but lately if you watch ninjakilla he land the Parry KBs a lot.
LK's main KBs that will come back are his bicycle kick (3 amp to get it not 2), the F43U3 (usually saved for the corner for max dmg) and one or both of the grabs might get done. 3 to 4 KBs in a match isnt that crazy considering most of the cast hovers around that for their KBs as well and those that don't, should. Keep in mind, without his KBs, his midscreen dmg is nothing to sing about. The highest is about 305 with F3333. His main damage is coming from F43~BF4 or B34~BF4 and sometimes F3333, if it doesnt get breakawayed. Personally I think grab KBs should do around 200-210 dmg for every character in the game.

About FBs....
Stealing rounds with FB is the point of FBs. You can argue that his FB doesnt scale much or his range is great but the truth is many characters have FBs that have great range and dont scale. That's not a LK issue, that's a fundamental mechanic in the game. FBs are made to win back the round. It's your job not to let that happen by being more careful. As long as the FB is punishable, and not a 10f startup, I see no issue with it. If people dont like FBs, then go back to MKX where their equivalent, the Xrays, were rarely seen.

Last edited:
Go read my previous posts about his FB and why is so much OP.
And a lot of FB damage scaling bad. Like Erron Black for example. He have insane range, very fast up and very good landing, but his scaling is one of the worst for example.

As far as the KBs, what is the other character that simply have all the tools in the game, have that sick of FB, that have so useful and easy to condition KBs?
I`m listening.
Because Cassie for example is or was a mixed character, that was good in all. yet she had only 1 useful KB, and the damage on her KB firstly was low and secondly, she could not combo on it or from it. It was "solo" KBs.
While Liu Kang have 3 Kbs from combos.
Big difference.
Should i mention Cassie FB and compare it to the Liu Kang? :D

And 305 midscreen damage is not bad, when you look at his KBs damage.

Sub Zero with 1 amplify also have 305 midscreen damage.

But Liu Kang have high corner damage, which is not hard to get with that hero.
What he really shine is his high combos KBs.

Jax for example have nice KBs with a lot of damage, but his damage is garabage without his KBs.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
And a lot of FB damage scaling bad. Like Erron Black for example. He have insane range, very fast up and very good landing, but his scaling is one of the worst for example.

As far as the KBs, what is the other character that simply have all the tools in the game, have that sick of FB, that have so useful and easy to condition KBs?
I`m listening.
Because Cassie for example is or was a mixed character, that was good in all. yet she had only 1 useful KB, and the damage on her KB firstly was low and secondly, she could not combo on it or from it. It was "solo" KBs.
Big difference.

Jax for example have nice KBs with a lot of damage, but his damage is garabage without his KBs.
Ok bro, Im not going to beat a dead horse. You obviously perceive LK to be this unstoppable force, which isnt the case. When you read the issues brought up by 99% of ppl bitching about LK, you quickly realize they are getting out played or they just dont know the MU. Pure and simple.
You can bitch about his FB, his KB his tools but at the end of the day, getting a round stolen by an FB can happen to any one against any character, KBs are omnipresent and some characters have more and easier ones than others, and his tools are very punishable and have different chances of occurring (i.e. if your super passive, you shouldnt be afraid of a F43~parry so being worried of it is on you)

Hell this quote illustrates how wrong you are
Should i mention Cassie FB and compare it to the Liu Kang?
What's your point.... Some characters are going to have better FBs than others. Live with it. It's punishable, and isnt full screen.

kcd117

Noob
In his defense, do you really think this potato takes any effort to condition anyone?

You are automatically conditioned not to press on his pressure/staggers by the nature of the risk/reward of his 9 frame F4 KB that deletes you when he gets a counter hit. How many of these do you need to hit to condition someone?

That alone opens up his 12 stagger game and throw game. Here you are conditioned not to press + conditioned not to try teching due to his plethora of auto-shimmies. How many full combos you need to hit people with before they die to condition them not to challenge your grabs?

But let's say you have superhuman reactions and can always tech the throw. You are conditioned to tech backwards as it gives him a throw loop, but he has KBs on both sides so you are guessing in a very dangerous 50/50 territory every time he grabs you. How many wrong guesses does it take until a round is over by throws?

If you get hit by bike kick amplified you are conditioned by his obnoxious safe jump to either block it and take the guess, take a risk rolling forward or try your luck flawless blocking the jump in and taking the risk of getting deleted by his parry KB. How many 60% combos you need to hit people with before they learn it is risky to try to play the game again after he hits you once?

When he throws a low fireball you are conditioned not to jump and take the chip bc he anti-airs you for free if he spends the bar and from the range where it matters, it is a straight 50/50 trying to avoid the chip by jumping or holding block and giving up space for him to back up as long as he has the bar. How much chip/hits people can afford to take in order to chase him down with enough HP to get something started?

When he reaches FB territory, how many times do you have to press the fuck the neutral button to get people to understand that you are basically playing a single-player game where every button they press at every frame to try to take their turn, contest the staggers, play footsies or even every time they release block to try to walk, dash or jump can mean they are knocked in the losers bracket by a yolo Fatal Blow?

This is just the superficial "conditioning" gameplan, it doesn't include any mid to high-level reads or strategies. This is literally there every time you pick Liu at the character select screen. As soon as the other player picks Liu, you know he has access to it and you know that it doesn't matter how good you are, you are still susceptible to make wrong guesses, and you'll have to guess a lot.

Honestly, anyone that thinks this character relies on conditioning to beat anyone from the worst to the best players is either living in an alternative reality or is completely spoiled by this wave-dashing slot machine.

PreNerf_

No labels

And im talking about Liu Kang at High-to Pro level gameplay. Because games are not and should not be balanced at low to mid level of gameplay.
My problem is how NRS decide to balance the game and just change the guard at the top. Not that i have big problem against Liu Kang.
In terms of knowing the match up, he is probably my easiest matchup. Because when i go Lab to train for reaction and so on i use him most of the time, and i like to train against his zoning tools. I like Cassie a lot of that, but his "low shot" is actually mid, and i dont need to crouch, so Liu is better for that exercise.
I like this guys statistics, hahahaha 99.99 percent of the time. Not really bud. They land f43u3 against you 99.99 percent of the time, if your always pressing buttons that your not supposed to. Do you know what's funny? My brother never even uses that move against me, maybe once in a blue moon cause he knows i will punish it 99 and a half. 999 percent of the time if he uses it more than once a match. So instead he uses moves that are even more punishable against me in an attempt to condition me. I actually find this hilarious. People bitched about f43u3 until everyone was punishing it and now they are bitching cause Liu Kangs are using other moves like fireball so you can't punish it, problem with that is the fireball is punishable, so they use parry, problem with that is Parry is punishable then they have to try to mix it up, go for a grab, (which is punishable they same exact way that all his other moves after f43 are punishable. Wanna know a fun fact? If I think a Liu Kang is going to use f43u3 and i go for a punish and I stead they decided to throw after f43 instead? Can you guess what happens? PUNISH still lol!!! If they just stagger f4 into another f4 or instead decide to throw? Can you guess? Yep, they get punished! And if I think they are going to condition me with f43fireball or f43 parry...I just wait and, (drum roll please ) You guessed it. It blows my mind, is it literally everyone who cries for nerfs that don't lab, or is it just casuals, or is it 99.9999 percent of the community?

Parasurama

Dragon

I`m listening.
Big difference.

Cassie has the worst FB in the whole game although I have gotten used to it. It would be nice to speed it up a bit in the air. You can’t can’t compare it to Liu Kang. His FB is perfect for him. It compliments his lack of a fast advancing mid.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
Honestly, anyone that thinks this character relies on conditioning to beat anyone from the worst to the best players is either living in an alternative reality or is completely spoiled by this wave-dashing slot machine.
couldn't say better

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
A very well put together video has popped up on YouTube recently by Rooflemonger. It tells you basics on how to deal with Kang.
Many of the points in my short guide is covered here and more. Talks about using patience to punish on reaction. He included the infamous OS that beats 4 of his options after F43 by simply blocking and holding down and letting go of block which dodges the throw the amped high fireballs and the amped low fireball and the parry and you can punish all those options on reaction by doing it.

Here is the guide by Rooflemonger:

LawAbidingCitizen, lets go to Scar Twitter and give him this video, because he obviously not know how to play against Liu Kang with other top tier character like Sonya. And hope next time he didnt get annihilated with 9-1 on ft10 set.
PreNerf_, another one, so go tell this to Scar, SonicFox, Dragon and etc. The video of Scar getting wrecked its in this very page. Can you count how many time he punish ninja F43 move and how many time he get his *** beat, after block the first part of the string?
For one million time, the problem is the mixup option Liu Kang have, and that they are 2382738263623 and the window for punish, 99,99% of them is small, that you need to press it really quickly. Also you dont know what will come, just low fireball or he is going to amplify, and the time to wait to see if he will amplify, the window for punish him will go away.
Same for the high fireball.
Also no one can tell if he will go for just F4 or F43, and then mix up and mess with your head and reactions.

And for milion time of course mix up after F43 are going to be unsafe on block or on recovery. Yet no character have 3237273273626 mixup option after the initial string.
Again what option i have with Sub Zero after my initial string ? B3,2 for example, did i have 3823274727 mixup option after that to condition the opponent? NO of course my option is to finish the string with 1 or to go for IceBall that is Unsafe and full punishable.

Last edited: