What's new

Turning Liu Kangs F43xx Tools Against Him (Short Guide)

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
He can be both outsmarted and outplayed so a top Liu Kang player can be beaten of course.
But this character compare to the rest right now have some big shortcuts.
I wouldnt be so mad about it, if the character was hard to play and required really great skill to shine, but Liu is hand down the most stupid and easy character out there.
If they made DVorah so strong for example i wouldnt be mad about it, because she is tricky to play and require skill to use at high level.

You should look at things a bit different.
Every character is incredibly easy in this game. Execution is on the lower end compared to MK9/MKX. Characters like D'Vorah are not any harder its just a different gameplan. All very simple inputs. IMO Mean Streak Kabal is the hardest to use based on Execution.
It doesn't matter how hard a character is to use nothing justifies broken tools, players like REO and Sonic would have a huge advantage over the rest.
I use nearly every character and I find them very easy to pick up.

As for Liu Kang being better than others in your opinion. I encourage you to pick him up and use him for 3 weeks and see how truly broken he really is, I bet you will find he isn't. Characters weaknesses tend to present themselves after moaning them for a while.

LK is a very good character but he isn't getting an advantage over others maybe in his favorable matchups but nothing gets him the win. I picked up Liu because I thought he was braindead but after using him for a couple weeks I realized how wrong I was.
I'm not against you personally just anyone screaming for nerfs when I feel the character doesn't need it. I made the thread to help others who may have been struggling vs LK not to downplay a character I never mained.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
WHen I started playing sets with him he used Liu Kang and Frost and was very good with both. But I know before he used Frost only so its entirely possible he was telling the truth. I know there are a few characters I use seldomly to lab up that I don't main just like most others.
Maybe people should have more faith in others.
Well, I did belive him, but even if you are right he was clearly already warming up to the character enough to take discussions about him personally. Nothing wrong with it obviously, but when you actively say "I don't play it, my friend does", you are trying to create a misdirection.

Sort of how a partial truth is different than a lie.

To me it sounds like you and kindred got in am argument back then. Did you make posts about Liu Kang's F4 or how broken you thought he was?
Yes and no.

The post wasn't mine, but I did get in the argument. My stance was neutral though, something along the lines of "I don't think Kang is overpowered, but he's not as bad as you guys make it sound either".

Kindred's side didn't like it too much and we got into a small argument, but I seem to recall it ended pretty quickly and, surprisingly, without it degenerating.

Regardless, it's not why I called him out. I explained my reasons already.

I guess you need to look at it a different way. Let me explain: if someone was to say Shang Tsung requires no skill and can Zone out characters with just GS and is a single win button character vs some. Would that rage you? Would you want to correct it since several scrubs are claiming he is and its possible he could get an unjustified nerf?
I'd choose my battles, otherwise I'd be preaching, not discussing, and that's not how you get people to agree with you.

I guess we will leave it at that. I have known kindred by playing him in the TYM tournament and he is a cool guy that is very chill.
I never said he wasn't, I just said that his Liu Kang bit is getting old fast.

"Words get lost on forums and many are misunderstood."

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
LawAbidingCitizen, you can believe in what you want, good for you. I just dont agree with you in anything at all.
And the part that every character is easy as Liu Kang and blq, blq, blq, is the next level try for downplaying how braindead Liu Kang is.

Another video proof of my point and something to shut your mouth forever about F4 move and Liu Kang Overpowered.
He 3-0 Foxy with 6 straight round. Let me steal this rounds with FB, let me f** you with KBs, let me pressure you with F4 and thats all i need. Steal turn after turn, draining your bar with easy as s** KBs.
In the 6 rounds, Rewind probably land 15 KBs ....
This character is complete sh****.

Should i mention again that the last time they play when Rewind was not playing Liu Kang he lose badly to Foxy at the Evo ?
What a f* joke. He beat SonicFox with that disgusting Liu Kang. With all due respect to Rewind, but he is not on the same level to SonicFox. First tournament win for Rewind over SonicFox in MK11.
FB, KB, F4 this is all you need .... Braindead stupid easy character.
It wasnt F4 or KB's that made him win the game. Rewind made all reads and basically outplayed everyone. If making a read and neutral ducking a throw then punish it with F4 makes F4 broke, then maybe u need a better understanding how a fightinggame works.

kcd117

Noob
A few things are need to be understood to put your last post in context:
Rewind is not an average player and has been searching for a main.
Liu Kang is almost the same character post patch and the variation Rewind plays is slightly nerfed
Rewind is the only Liu Kang user in the Top 8 in a tournament with various Liu Kang mains.

Ok you can carry on.
You are kinda right but few things should also be brought to light:

1 - Rewind is a great player but he failed to accomplish such results with characters that are said to "do the same" as Liu does in Jacqui and Jax.

2 - Liu Kang was buffed. The simple fact that now he gets his +3 after every poke on hit is enough to outweigh any of the minor changes he got, and his second variation was also brought up to the "pretty stupid" tier.

3 - There are a lot of people using Liu Kang rn. Most of them are pretty bad, but we also have good players that can effectively use the character's ridiculous tools and showcase how unfair it can be at times. Rewind is one of them and the amount of basically 3 raw KBs rounds he got in this tournament is pretty alarming, to say the least.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
A very well put together video has popped up on YouTube recently by Rooflemonger. It tells you basics on how to deal with Kang.
Many of the points in my short guide is covered here and more. Talks about using patience to punish on reaction. He included the infamous OS that beats 4 of his options after F43 by simply blocking and holding down and letting go of block which dodges the throw the amped high fireballs and the amped low fireball and the parry and you can punish all those options on reaction by doing it.

Here is the guide by Rooflemonger:

wow what a great video I better make sure to like and subscribe to his content and you all should as well!

Wigy

There it is...
Lol.

JC community might be whining on suicide watch but Kang community downplaying to fuccccck.

Liu Kang is the most braindead character who wasn't just broken OP in any NRS game.

Last edited:

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
You guys really refuse to actually play the game offline so nothing you say is based in reality of the actual game, lui kang is that champion of mk so of course hes annoying but broken? you guys are on serious drugs. Geras still says hi.

The funniest thing is already said lui kang was really good before last patch and people laughed at me, now all of a sudden hes broken...this shit never changes

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Firstable Rewind did win because of character, otherwise he would have finish like what he has finished so far, UNTIL he start playing Kang and suddenly his result are win, a win and a win. :D
His result before switching to Kang was:
25-32 in Combo Breaker.
33-48 in the CEO
9-12 at the EVO
Start using Liu Kang
1st place
1st place
1st place
No its obviously a pure skills that he was hidden so far in MK11. :D
And what give him the win was not the all b...... you said, but just the OP broken F4 move mix you were saying its 100% reactable and punishable everytime its used in high level gameplay, yet we see no pro actually punish this move, except for d1. :D Liu Kang steal turns after turns with that move and his stupid 1-2.
I also did not see even once the so call hitbox issue Kang have against female characters, and that people loves to downplay him for. Pro play is different than a Lab play right?
So let me get back to the topic what gives Rewind the win. He simply have shortcut route for the win. He land on will his incredible stupid and easy high dmg KBs, and easy as f**** no scaling FB. You just need to touch it, its unbreakable and hop FB to it 400+dmg.
There was a moment where SonicFox combo to it, and he did like 150dmg, FB to it and the final damage after the FB he did was 269 .... F* joke, when Liu Kang have like 4 better KBs that he land on will and better moves all over the place.
The only way to win against top Kang player right now is to completely outplay him by mile, otherwise you are going to lose.
Your draining his HP, you are in a life lead, and he suddnely touches you and its over for you. And if he somehow manage to not kill you, his FB push you away 5 meters, and he can zone you out, and you cant do a s, because he have low, high and air fireball, also incredible good range on his F4 and his Flying Dragon Kick to f* you.
Rewind was already using strong character, but they wasnt broke as * thats the reason he suddenly start winning with Kang.
Take your time with that broken character, im pretty sure he will be nerfed to the ground when the next patch come out. So Kang players right now can only pray for next balance patch to come late.

Yeah you need to be really good to play Liu Kang, all you need is 1-2 string, F4, FB and atleast 3-4 KBs every round that land on will, and do tremendous amount of damage. Its esay to play, where you start every game with a huge life lead. And the time your opponent somehow drop your bar below 30% its game over for him automatically.
Dizzy doesnt main Kang.
SylverRye finish 3rd in the Summer Jam.
Ninja, Forever and Magician wasnt participate.
So good job trying to downplay him more, but aint happening.
Cant wait for the next patch and all the sad face of Kang players.
Then why don’t you use LK and go win some tournaments? I mean, it’s easy money right? Why not.

Just use the 3 strings and the KBs and show us all how easy/braindead it is and how your opponents have no chance.

:D

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Well everyone else did use the 3 strings and KB (wasn't it 2 strings?), and they actually won the tournaments, so...yea :p

S+ Main

Noob
Nah guys sonic fox is the best player if he loses its because the other player is yoloing there op charater and spamming, so that means rewind is garbage and a fraud.

dont say rewind is better because I will get angry and I'll say completely out of context and irrelevant points to why his opponent is trash
you wont like it when I'm angry.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
At this point we have to start mentioning Cetrion is actually much more broke than Liu, but Dragon couldn't get past Sonic because of tournament braket placements, otherwise would have eliminated Rewind as well, then Sonic would have won.

E

Eldriken

Losh, dude. Just stop. Rewind is a damn good player. So what if he uses Liu Kang? The people he'll be playing against will know how to handle the MU, so it's obviously not an instant win.

As for the rest of you, criticize the guy all you want, but don't be jerks about it.

Keep the discussion about the game.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Is it at all possible this thing sits somewhere between LK's F4 is broken and unbeatable auto win move, and it's totally fine an reasonable?

I mean at how good and dedicated to you have to be in order for the thing to level off? Top 25%, 10%, 5% of players? I honestly don't know. Is it like, "hey this thing is totally fair if you are at top 16 level player, the rest of you can go suck it."

I was totally fine with fighting Scorpion. No complaints, and feel like that problem was very isolated to extremely low level play. This seems to be an effective strategy way longer. I watched John Wick for the first time Saturday night and was drilling and looking for options the whole time. It's not the first, or the second time, or even the third time I've spent blocks of time trying to get my head around this 1 thing. I've spent hours on this one thing at this point, and I'm probably in the best place I've been to fight it, but if I continue to get eaten alive by F4 stuff, I really don't want to hear anything about not wanting to lab the game.

That people don't want to lab rhetoric is starting to sound dismissive. Git Gud is valid, but never going to happen if it hasn't happened by now. Some stuff is just hard for us regulars to ever overcome. Technically fair or not, it not something I'm ever going to deal well against, and it seems like it may be kind of a douchey thing to force the masses to deal with. Maybe it would have been nice if they had built him differently.

That said, there are entire games full of this stuff and it's hard dig your way through all that chaos. I like how this game doesn't make you have to lab rando thing after rando thing. If it has one or two obnoxious things to learn, then that's probably OK.