What's new

Strategy True King of Atlantis -- Aquaman General Discussion Thread

So 1.05 patch notes... Aqumans is getting a slight F13 nerf (from +2 on block to 0 on block) well idt this is gonna change much other then remove a near block infinitive for anyone who couldnt interrupt inbetween f1 and 3 with a mb b3 or parry it or w.e

Then theres the universal d2 buff coming... Does anyone think it will actually affect Aquamans d2? Im doubting it since ours is already so good

Zenrot

Noob
I just picked up Aqua and I can do some basic BnB's, but most of his combos seem to use meter and I find myself without meter A LOT, especially bc I burn one on full screen once I get a trident hit and go for the MB then another for the 20% dmg, is it worth it?

The combos I can do currently, b12, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
b2, b12, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
b2u3, 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
B3, j3 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
F3 j2 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
d2 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3
SOMETIMES I can do this one without meter, but online its almost impossible: b12, db2, b12, db1, f2 1+3

Which one should I be using more? The F3 and B3 seem wasteful even though its like 40+ but 2 meters! Bc i usually armor the f3 or b3. And how do I get in? I usually try to do b12 and if they block they just punish the shit out of me. TIPS PLS! Also, what the heck do you wake up with? I seem to get eaten alive by meaty crossovers all day since I don't have any good wakeup attacks.
"Is it worth doing db2 MB, db2 at range?"
Depends on the matchup IMO, as well as the life situation. If I need to make up distance/life on the opponent, I do it. Easiest 20% in the game and free ground can be covered. If I have the life lead, I won't do it as often because it's just not necessary when 8% and the chip from doing it on their wakeup at range is 10%ish total damage anyway.

"I get punished for doing b12!"
There are a couple ways to solve this. Some people use b123 since it's only -3 on block and a hit-confirmed combo out of it leads to 36%, only 4% less than the normal b12 combo. Other's cancel their b12 into trident rush which is safe on block against everyone but Superman and Flash and can be MB'd for almost 30% if it ends up connecting. You can also try Water Shield shenanigans if you're feeling ballsy, but I wouldn't recommend it.

"What do you wake up with"
Meaties: Scoop
Jump ins: Just block, unless you really hate jump ins. We have a 7 frame d2 but it will only work against very badly timed ones.

My go to combos with Aquaman are:

Meter:

b12, db2, b12, db2 MB, 22 db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

B2, b12, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

d2, 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

b3, j3, 22, db2 MB, 22, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

f13, db2 MB, b2, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

f1, db1, 22, db2 MB, f2 1+3/3 db2

Meterless:

b12, db2, b12, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

b2, b12, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

b3, j3, 22, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

f13, db2

f1, db1, f2 1+3/3 db2

All of them are viable but your go to should be combos starting with b1.

regulas

Your Emporer
I keep seeing Aquamen trying to Zone and it's so odd, they can dominate once they are up close, get full combos off and then they still go back to trying to Zone despite the zoning being fully outclassed by a lot of the cast.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
I keep seeing Aquamen trying to Zone and it's so odd, they can dominate once they are up close, get full combos off and then they still go back to trying to Zone despite the zoning being fully outclassed by a lot of the cast.
some aquaman players are very stubborn and like to back up and throw tridents the whole match like they're deathstroke or something, even some people in this thread. i always said i'd never be that kind of AM player.

Zenrot

Noob
Depends on the opponent. There are certain matchups I'd rather FtD you and force you to come into my range than I would move forward at you.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Aquaman out turtles a lot of characters with a life lead. His trident rush block strings are perfect for that.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Hey guise, what's Aquaman's general strategy supposed to be? All I ever do is B1, 2 people to death.

Hey guise, what's Aquaman's general strategy supposed to be? All I ever do is B1, 2 people to death.
AM is a very strong char all around and can be played in various ways

He has a very dominate footies character with long ranged and fast normals (b2 has great range, b1 also has great range for a 9 frmae low, f1 is a quick 7 frames and is +3 on block, d2 is a 7 frame AA that is one of the best in the game and has a 6 frame d1 to boot)

with that said he has some nice 50/50's like f13 and f1 x b12 that you cant be fuzzy guarded (unlike f13 and f1 scoop thats fuzzy guard-able and f1 scoop is unsafe on block) however both f13 and f1 x b12 can be MB b3'ed its still a solid 50/50 and even tho f1 x b12 has a 6 frame gap f1 creates a tiny distance on block that puts you in a range where most 6 frame d1's will wiff but b1 wont

Then theres AM chip damage... AM has one of the highest chip damage in the game bc of trident rush. MB trident rush builds nearly all of the bar used on it back and does over 10% chip which means one touch block or not and AM is taking a high percentage of youre life unless they push block which is trading a bar for a bar that AM builds very quick

AM f2 1+3 string is his typicaly combo ender and puts him in great situations after it (watch Tom Bradys vid on it)

Then theres AM turtling/ zoning/ anti-zoning abilities. AM can hold a life lead and turtle great agaisnt most zoning bc of watershield and put himself in great situations for free while other characters need meter (like how you can hold a MB b3 eat an interactable and then dash out of it and punish AM does this for no meter and watershield armor reduces the damage he takes) watersheild has alot more uses but dont that this to be too long. Then theres FTD that be used to both zone and anti zone, its character specific. He also has trident toss but the only use i see in it is to trade with GL. He has more tricks with zoning but i think i wrote enough for now lol

dabuz

Noob
I play Aquaman like a long ranged wall in most MUs. Keep someone in YOUR dash in range so you can always threaten mixups but otherwise just work on taking defensive options to punish them and play safe which forces unsafe approaches or options by the opponent.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yo did you guys know b123watershield burst is a true blockstring? I have no idea if this will be useful, maybe against characters that can punish rush.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Wondering if I ended up playing any of you at CEO this weekend. I know somebody was asking about me, but I don't know who. I am Cobra Commander in the brackets (eliminated, naturally). I remember playing a bunch of Aquamans in the ballroom on Friday, and I got sent to losers by a good Aquaman in my pool. I was the white guy playing Injustice who, as I am exhaustively told, "looks like Jesus".

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
That's one of the most helpful replies I have ever gotten. LOL
sadly, that's probably the best reply you'll get. i asked that question earlier and got nothing. i see some people use it while they're getting hit, and i see other people use it when they think they're going to get punished, which is kind of a waste. guess we just have to go through a bunch of trial and error to learn ourselves.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
sadly, that's probably the best reply you'll get. i asked that question earlier and got nothing. i see some people use it while they're getting hit, and i see other people use it when they think they're going to get punished, which is kind of a waste. guess we just have to go through a bunch of trial and error to learn ourselves.
That's what I was thinking too.

I have noticed that it doesn't effect some strings and whether you use it or not, you're usually getting chipped anyhow. I guess it's most effective with push blocking.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Does aquaman have a wake up attack?
I say tech roll... lol!

He doesn't really have an effective wake up so a character with a descent can OTG can do some damage. The trouble is, the starting frames for most of his special attacks completely negate the invincibility frames some characters have for wake up attacks.

I say tech roll... lol!

He doesn't really have an effective wake up so a character with a descent can OTG can do some damage. The trouble is, the starting frames for most of his special attacks completely negate the invincibility frames some characters have for wake up attacks.
Fuck...