What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
never said win. so far kabal has taken every tournament that has been of recent. i am talking top 8. kitana is extremely viable for top 8... not because of MU's though..
Welp, I'm going by what Pig listed in the OP as viable: "Definition of tournament viable - proven to be able to either win or place top 5 at a major in its current state."

So by this definition I was saying: Kabal, Lao, Sonya, Kenshi, Cyrax, Freddy(?)....

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
dude, like i said, i was the only person on this planet who didn't believe in this whole reptile hype. never thought he beat kitana, never thought he was top 10, etc
You were the only one. ;_; I still think he is top ten though...only because all the other characters in this game are garbage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
i belive reptile to be tourny viable but the problem is that to a certain extent all mains including myself are still playing him like its jan 2012 and getting punished harder as time goes by
I think it can be fixed though.

Granted..... most of the reptile mains moved on to Sonya :(

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
As always there's a disconnect between Reptile's generally accepted MU numbers and his position on the tier list. Even a conservative Reptile MU chart is quite good and everyone agrees he does about as well against the top two as anyone can. Yet he is somehow not top 10, not viable and is overrated. It makes no sense and has never made sense.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
As always there's a disconnect between Reptile's generally accepted MU numbers and his position on the tier list. Even a conservative Reptile MU chart is quite good and everyone agrees he does about as well against the top two as anyone can. Yet he is somehow not top 10, not viable and is overrated. It makes no sense and has never made sense.
So then play him. You'll see.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
Welp, I'm going by what Pig listed in the OP as viable: "Definition of tournament viable - proven to be able to either win or place top 5 at a major in its current state."

So by this definition I was saying: Kabal, Lao, Sonya, Kenshi, Cyrax, Freddy(?)....
meeeh. we are assuming that these people are ONLY playing these characters? with no secondarys? honestly it ultimately comes down to player skill more than MU's imo... unless the MU is 7-3 or greater. i think a couple of those characters should be taken off, not just smoke (surprised myself in saying this) especially when we are talking top 5, not top 8. that means you are coming out in winners. like i said player skill is a huge factor and i think is > MU #s.

yea i agree with that. he can hang with the top better than kit can
kitana is one of the best tournament characters in the game. top 5 probably. not top 5 best characters overall, but in terms of tournament? great.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
on paper and at gga reptile is good lol. no1 has seen the light (i feel like we say this too often)

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
kitana is one of the best tournament characters in the game. top 5 probably. not top 5 best characters overall, but in terms of tournament? great.
lol you and xSmokeX say the exact same thing. i agree with this 100%. her playstyle and diversity is great for tourney play.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So then play him. You'll see.
How is he any less viable than a number of characters, when he is MORE STABLE AS A WHOLE VS TOP CHARACTERS THAN THESE PARTICULAR CHARACTERS???

I'm not saying Reptile is a top 5 character, or even a lock for top 10. I believe he is in the top 10 at the very bottom, but if not, he's very well near it. But to say he isn't tournament viable is stupid considering this.

Reptile players DO NOT GO TO MAJORS ON A CONSISTENT BASIS. A number of these other characters have reps OUT OF THE ASS going places and getting exposure.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Kitana blows up sloppy play, does huge damage and is a difficult MU to learn. She also has multiple top players that main her just by coincedence. That is why she is always in the top 8.

Fractured_Shadow

meeeh. we are assuming that these people are ONLY playing these characters? with no secondarys? honestly it ultimately comes down to player skill more than MU's imo... unless the MU is 7-3 or greater. i think a couple of those characters should be taken off, not just smoke (surprised myself in saying this) especially when we are talking top 5, not top 8. that means you are coming out in winners. like i said player skill is a huge factor and i think is > MU #s.
Whao, lets not travel down the Player Skill or Character MU+Player skill road again.... But yes I agree characters being used SOLO should be taken off the list soloy becasue of the major imbalances MK9 has with certain character MU's.

Fractured_Shadow

i live life dangerously
Even so, this is a discussion for viable CHARACTERS not about viable characters in certain peoples hands playing against other specific people... People need to stop looking at who plays who but how each character can be used and their corrisponding MU's

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
How is he any less viable than a number of characters, when he is MORE STABLE AS A WHOLE VS TOP CHARACTERS THAN THESE PARTICULAR CHARACTERS???

I'm not saying Reptile is a top 5 character, or even a lock for top 10. I believe he is in the top 10 at the very bottom, but if not, he's very well near it. But to say he isn't tournament viable is stupid considering this.

Reptile players DO NOT GO TO MAJORS ON A CONSISTENT BASIS. A number of these other characters have reps OUT OF THE ASS going places and getting exposure.
He isn't though, just because he goes 4-6 with Kenshi (or 5-5 whatever you believe) and Kabal doesn't mean he is more stable when he still gets bopped by characters like Sonya and Freddy for free. I really believe the only thing that makes this characters completely not viable are his completely unorthodox footsies. If he had one legit poke that was at least 7 frames he would be just fine, but he doesn't. So when you want to get out of Sonya or Cage's bullshit, and you can't hit your low pokes to stop that shit, you have to take risks. Even when they work, you aren't rewarded very highly for them.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
He isn't though, just because he goes 4-6 with Kenshi and Kabal doesn't mean he is more stable when he still gets bopped by characters like Sonya and Freddy for free. I really believe the only thing that makes this characters completely not viable are his completely unorthodox footsies. If he had one legit poke that was at least 7 frames he would be just fine, but he doesn't. So when you want to get out of Sonya or Cage's bullshit, and you can't hit your low pokes to stop that shit, you have to take risks. Even when they work, you aren't rewarded very highly for them.
He gets beat by Sonya hard (who also "loses badly" to Kabal and Kenshi). He does not lose to Freddy for free, however. Nor is Kenshi a 4-6 for him.

Remember, going 4-6 or better vs Kenshi and Kabal is better than some of these more viable characters can say.

I will agree his unorthodox footsies are a curse. I do not think that makes him unviable, however, considering he's one of the better characters at checking pressing buttons because of this.

This is his biggest problem.
Yeah thats not great.
But like you said earlier, he uses unorthodox footsies, which works out well in his favor, because he is a very strange matchup to learn; and there are so many different ways you can use reptile.
His versatility is what makes him so amazing and def. top 10 worth IMO

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
what has smoke done in tournament within the 9 months?? also we need ikizzle back... plzzzz. smoke players need a secondary imo in order to get to top 8 unless they are presented with a bracket from the gods of brackets.
maybe if you spent as much time levelling up as you did making penises for snowmen youd get top 8

coolwhip

Noob
1- Make a post about a certain character not being as viable as many think and discuss his losing match-ups.

2- Enjoy receiving "likes" from people who main said character.

3- Profit?

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
Smoke can take your entire health bar in a combo, has good pokes, and an amazing overhead. So basically if you don't respect his pokes he gets a combo that you're forced to break. Sub and rain have multiple 3-7s, and i know sub has an 2-8. With those match ups i would say pretty confidently that they aren't tournament viable.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Rain takes half your life with no meter, 42% meterless antiair, good pressure and the most versatile armor in the game. Kenshi is his only possible 7-3 but Pig is the only Kenshi I've played that can make it hard for Rain.

Rain's bad matchups are also Liu kang and Cage's bad mu's but they're most definitely viable.

Rain hasn't won or placed top 5 in his current state so he can't be considered for this list but your reasons aren't valid