What's new

Tournament Viable Characters for 2013

coolwhip

Noob
Alternatively:

1- Make a post about a certain character not being good.

2- Watch mains of said characters defend him to death and theory fight about how he does better in some match-ups than many think.

3- Find no actual proof of their claim, or, in fact, proof of the contrary.

4- Profit?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Rain is only partially viable because of how much he doesn't rely on meter for damage. He can get back into a match with just one mistake taken, and he can be decently safe while fishing for this.

coolwhip

Noob
I think claiming Reptile isn't top 10 should be immediately be followed by how many characters (other than the obvious ones) are better than him and why. I don't see how he isn't top 10.

Rain is only partially viable because of how much he doesn't rely on meter for damage. He can get back into a match with just one mistake taken, and he can be decently safe while fishing for this.
Yea I think Rain is better than ppl think. He most likely wont win somebody a tournament but he is good if used as a whiff punisher and heavy footsies.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2

THTB

Yea I think Rain is better than ppl think. He most likely wont win somebody a tournament but he is good if used as a whiff punisher and heavy footsies.

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk 2
No, I think dead mid at the very best is accurate, but his damage makes him more viable than he appears. Ignoring the damage, though, he's strewn with enough problems to deter people from using him.

This has nothing to do with tourney viability, but when Reptile burns meter for combos, he either gets really high damage, or looks swaggy as fuck.
+pointsForReptile

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
He gets beat by Sonya hard (who also "loses badly" to Kabal and Kenshi). He does not lose to Freddy for free, however. Nor is Kenshi a 4-6 for him.

Remember, going 4-6 or better vs Kenshi and Kabal is better than some of these more viable characters can say.

I will agree his unorthodox footsies are a curse. I do not think that makes him unviable, however, considering he's one of the better characters at checking pressing buttons because of this.
I personally think Freddy is just as bad as Sonya dude, all he has to do is teleport back and toss dem gloves, and that is it. Reptile can't duck and elbow dash like he can for most characters, he gets blown up here. Which means he has to jump and fred blows that shit up too. His footsies are better, and he gets way more damage, half of which is unbreakable, and that puts you back to full screen. You have to burn meter like crazy to get in. I won't argue Kenshi because I can see how people might think it is 5-5. I'm also not disagreeing with going 4-6 against Kenshi/Kabal being a bad thing, I'm just saying that even though he does well against those two, the rest of the top 5 along with maybe the next 1 or two down the list give him so much trouble I don't see how it makes a difference. The last time this character made a top 8 was in Dallas last year. Showtime did it at Raleigh and I did as well at Summer Jam, but BOTH of us didn't play Reptile exclusively. He needs help in order to win tournies plain and simple.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If I liked Reptile and wanted to main him I would consistently place top 8 with him.

Chris G almost can and he doesn't even know what the hell is going on with this game.
You could say not knowing anything about the game and playing reptile could be huge strengths.

I know when I play him I completely forget what pokes are and just use his rangy d4 and dash like Kitana's use her d1.
You guys who think Reptile is overrated are playing conservative "safe" reptiles who won't take chances and don't spac edashes so that when its blocked... he isn't point blank.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I personally think Freddy is just as bad as Sonya dude, all he has to do is teleport back and toss dem gloves, and that is it. Reptile can't duck and elbow dash like he can for most characters, he gets blown up here. Which means he has to jump and fred blows that shit up too. His footsies are better, and he gets way more damage, half of which is unbreakable, and that puts you back to full screen. You have to burn meter like crazy to get in. I won't argue Kenshi because I can see how people might think it is 5-5. I'm also not disagreeing with going 4-6 against Kenshi/Kabal being a bad thing, I'm just saying that even though he does well against those two, the rest of the top 5 along with maybe the next 1 or two down the list give him so much trouble I don't see how it makes a difference. The last time this character made a top 8 was in Dallas last year. Showtime did it at Raleigh and I did as well at Summer Jam, but BOTH of us didn't play Reptile exclusively. He needs help in order to win tournies plain and simple.
The odds you run into a freddy who plays alot....... are almost 1:100.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Chris G could have beaten M2Dave at EVO. It was 2-1. He probably didn't even know Freddy was DLC and he still could have overcome the MU. I'm sorry you may haver to overcome a bad MU or two in a tournament. The rest of us do it. For some reason there's some characters were they apparently need an all 5-5 MU chart to be viable.

Death

Noob
Lbsh about kitana. Kenshi is really the only terrible mu. Kabal and Freddy aren't that terrible. Smoke reptile and Sonya don't beat her. With that said she is viable.

Reptile loses to kabal, Freddy, Sonya, KL, mileena. Probably loses to cage too honestly. Rep doesn't beat kenshi either come on. If anything kenshi beats rep. I can honestly see high level Liu kangs and skarlets giving rep trouble.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Not only him, all US and Canadian Ermac players. As for me i have proved my point about the particular character to the entire community for almost a year now and no one can deny that. Yeah i know, someone will tell, that i havent attended any US tournaments, but i have played the best in EU, placed top 5 in two majors, present MU tips, techs and strategies, weekly high lvl casuals and tournament footage, a MU chart acceptable by the whole community (with some minor disagreements) and exposed Ermac to its fullest. Call me whatever you want but it was i who brought this character to the spot light. Its just sad that i wont be able to attend EVO cause of the price of the tickets and really i was looking forward meeting and hanging around with all of you guys (yes,even you Death). Sorry guys but i cannot afford it, neither me, neither Hidan. Pig we talked about the price numbers and i believe you find it reasonable why i cannot come.
How have you proven anything? Europe does not have representatives for all characters, especially at the highest level. And if you have brought this character into the spotlight, then why does almost nobody in the US use him? You make some sound arguments occasionally, but I really just don't get how you think that you have explored this character to the max when you don't play against the highest level of competition.

Death

Noob
How have you proven anything? Europe does not have representatives for all characters, especially at the highest level. And if you have brought this character into the spotlight, then why does almost nobody in the US use him? You make some sound arguments occasionally, but I really just don't get how you think that you have explored this character to the max when you don't play against the highest level of competition.
Don't even bother saying this to him. I've given up long ago. He still thinks he's the ermac everyone needs to fight and until we fight him we haven't experienced a top ermac when there's at least 5 more accomplished ermac a that everyone has fought...

Also, for anyone with armored combo starter Cyrax cannot zone nearly as effectivly.... Kabal can sit full screen and wait for his chest to open and get a full combo punish, Sonya can play closer and EX Kartwheel, shit Cage can just EX shadow kick him into a corner and shut him down....
yeah true. but a net is all he needs and thats why hes good.

THTB

So what if he teleports back? That's a free dash in on reaction if you're not even doing anything, and Freddy's fullscreen frame traps are only kept decent because Reptile can't dashblock in. Freddy can't even do spikes to check him. Having to jump sucks, but it's not like the opportunity NEVER presents itself and is NEVER going to be safe. And Freddy is not better in footsies. NMS is a pretty significant part of Freddy's footsies, and it is checked pretty hard by dash.

I thought this matchup was godawful right until I started playing SquirtMcGirt more. It really isn't close to that bad, and can easily be even.

And again, there aren't even that many Reptiles going to majors consistently to begin with. Whereas Kitana, Kung Lao, Cyrax, Cage, Kabal, and a number of other characters easily have enough great representatives attending majors on the regular. It makes a big difference on how you see viability.

This is why it's still very hard to make a viable characters list, when too many characters just don't have the required representation, despite being theoretically strong enough to compete.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
you won't run into 4 in a tourney..... thats for DAMN sure.

I mean........ Reptile just needs to level up with the community it seems...
What difference does it make how many I play in a tournament? The fact is if I run into one, I'm going to have one helluva time winning. He is a better zoner with a higher damage output and better footsies. He has to take 0 risks to win while I put all my meter on the line along with 50% of my life.

THTB

Chris G could have beaten M2Dave at EVO. It was 2-1. He probably didn't even know Freddy was DLC and he still could have overcome the MU. I'm sorry you may haver to overcome a bad MU or two in a tournament. The rest of us do it. For some reason there's some characters were they apparently need an all 5-5 MU chart to be viable.
With how Dave played the matchup, Chris SHOULD have won.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Lbsh about kitana. Kenshi is really the only terrible mu. Kabal and Freddy aren't that terrible. Smoke reptile and Sonya don't beat her. With that said she is viable.

Reptile loses to kabal, Freddy, Sonya, KL, mileena. Probably loses to cage too honestly. Rep doesn't beat kenshi either come on. If anything kenshi beats rep. I can honestly see high level Liu kangs and skarlets giving rep trouble.
this 100%

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Don't even bother saying this to him. I've given up long ago. He still thinks he's the ermac everyone needs to fight and until we fight him we haven't experienced a top ermac when there's at least 5 more accomplished ermac a that everyone has fought...
well imo big d's the best ermac and most people have played him,yet their opinion of the character stays the same so i dont know wtf metsoz is talking about.

So what if he teleports back? That's a free dash in on reaction if you're not even doing anything, and Freddy's fullscreen frame traps are only kept decent because Reptile can't dashblock in. Freddy can't even do spikes to check him. Having to jump sucks, but it's not like the opportunity NEVER presents itself and is NEVER going to be safe. And Freddy is not better in footsies. NMS is a pretty significant part of Freddy's footsies, and it is checked pretty hard by dash.

I thought this matchup was godawful right until I started playing SquirtMcGirt more. It really isn't close to that bad, and can easily be even.

And again, there aren't even that many Reptiles going to majors consistently to begin with. Whereas Kitana, Kung Lao, Cyrax, Cage, Kabal, and a number of other characters easily have enough great representatives attending majors on the regular. It makes a big difference on how you see viability.

This is why it's still very hard to make a viable characters list, when too many characters just don't have the required representation, despite being theoretically strong enough to compete.
exactly. the only person representing reptile recently is chris g, and he did really well with him at winter brawl and plays this game a lot less than anyone that was there. if chris g took this game seriously reptile would definately be on the list and i think he would be higher up on the tier list too

Reactions: SLy

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

You can dash all day on Freddy, you AREN'T getting in man. He doesn't need ground spike, all he has to do is throw claws and you can try to dash that fool point blank after one and still get hit by the next. So once again in order to beat a character he has to take risks, he has to jump and is hoping that either that he is outside of the range of ground spike, or it's still in recovery. If it isn't well then you are at full screen all over again. What about his footsies aren't better? Faster low pokes, faster normals with great range, why do anything other than just throw out something out, and wait for a d4 or dash? Maybe I just don't know shit about the MU I wouldn't put it past me to have been playing it wrong all this time. This isn't a MU discussion thread though so I will leave it be.

I will respond to Reptile's turnout at tournies however with the fact that there used to be tons of them! Everyone moved on to characters who actually win. Most of them still use Reptile from time to time, but they still need that extra character to go for gold.