What's new

Top 5 NRS players of all time

In your opinion, who is your top 5 NRS players who is great at ALL 3 games?

• Sonicfox

• DJT

• ForeverKing

• MIT

• Foxy Grampa

• Slayer

• Wound Cowboy

• REO

• Perfect Legend

• Pig of the Hut

• Other (if so, reply in the thread who)

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
And that's where guys like Pryce want to see change in instead of people digging their heels in and saying "what about Capcom man ".
It's not to bury them, like I said, it's to acknowledge that just because it's shined up really good does not mean it doesn't exist. The exact same stuff happens in every community, but it's usually buried by sheer numbers and isolation. Most smaller communities don't have that luxury- look at Paul B and what a shining beacon of hope and praise he's been to KI. The KI Champion was entertaining childish conspiracy theories about dev muddling just like ours have.

This is not to say this behavior is good, or even acceptable in any curcumstance; this is just a reality of people who have egos and compete. It will always happen, even if it's just not directly in view. Look at Chris G and Floe big-leaguing at that disastrous MLG as an example of unshined elitism.

I'm not one of those tools that tries to perch myself into being an [insert community here] player, so please don't take what I say as "small-man" syndrome (Tho I am a small man). I bear no ill will on any scene and I'm very close with a lot of my local SF players through tournaments and long casuals. But a spade is a spade, you just are dealing with the clean side of it that has been honed over 20+ years instead of the ugly, much less experienced other side. Growing pains are a very real thing.

Sure that doesn't excuse my mistakes and complaining but everyone can hold that
I think this sort of tactless response is exactly what people are talking about. I'm not saying I'm offended by it, I'm saying that this is where people feel like they are entitled to not call you out because you've broken your back to do things. I'm not saying you don't deserve props when they're due, but don't turn into Shock.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's not to bury them, like I said, it's to acknowledge that just because it's shined up really good does not mean it doesn't exist. The exact same stuff happens in every community, but it's usually buried by sheer numbers and isolation. Most smaller communities don't have that luxury- look at Paul B and what a shining beacon of hope and praise he's been to KI. The KI Champion was entertaining childish conspiracy theories about dev muddling just like ours have.

This is not to say this behavior is good, or even acceptable in any curcumstance; this is just a reality of people who have egos and compete. It will always happen, even if it's just not directly in view. Look at Chris G and Floe big-leaguing at that disastrous MLG as an example of unshined elitism.

I'm not one of those tools that tries to perch myself into being an [insert community here] player, so please don't take what I say as "small-man" syndrome (Tho I am a small man). I bear no ill will on any scene and I'm very close with a lot of my local SF players through tournaments and long casuals. But a spade is a spade, you just are dealing with the clean side of it that has been honed over 20+ years instead of the ugly, much less experienced other side. Growing pains are a very real thing.

I think this sort of tactless response is exactly what people are talking about. I'm not saying I'm offended by it, I'm saying that this is where people feel like they are entitled to not call you out because you've broken your back to do things. I'm not saying you don't deserve props when they're due, but don't turn into Shock.
Fuck dude I was joke

NFA got u too? :(

I'll never be shock btw, I could never be a godfather

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069

I can't tell if if your being sarcastic about Paul B lol. He was the KI champion? I don't go too deep in KI lore but I definitely know Paul B well enough to understand that as much as he played that game he shat on it plenty. He prob has never been satisfied playing any fighting game and his ego is huge. These guys are everywhere but I wouldn't say the KI community is built on a foundation of people like him. He's more a force of good for the community now, too. Actually, last I checked he thinks KI is the best fighting game out and adds constructive criticism when he can with those updates KI still receives in its 4th year now. That's a better attittude than what nrs player CDjr came out of that game with.

Besides Paul started playing fgs in 2014 as far as I can tell Nrs community was built on people like this going on almost a decade now.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
First 18 months of mkx yes but right now tweedy is best current KENSHI
Don't be that humble here man.

Titles speak by themselves, and although Tweedy is a good Kenshi player, he still has not placed with Kenshi at tournaments, whereas you brought the blindman to 2 esl season finals when he was actual garbage across the three variations.

Unless we are measuring skill in a way that does not take into account placings (which reading the thread seems not to be the case), you are best mkx Kenshi.

You will be remembered as the face of Kenshi in mkx, same as mk9.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I can't tell if if your being sarcastic about Paul B lol
Incredibly so

He was the KI champion?
I was referencing Sleep, the 2016 Evo champ. He was involved in some not so great things. Times like then is when you can appreciate that our developers just kind of troll us and there's not like an out and out war on Twitter between them and the players.

Besides Paul started playing fgs in 2014 as far as I can tell Nrs community was built on people like this going on almost a decade now.
This sort of drives my point in. You saying that he started playing fighters late as a means of justifying some of his antics is the same thing I could say here, and what I said before, that growing pains are a real thing. The majority of the people who are really good at NRS games, with a few exceptions, all started with MK9, so not knowing any better or being unaware of what other fighting games were like is decently acceptable. Now as far as those guys who played MK Deception on PS2 online and expect Godfather status, that is in fact garbage, so I agree with you there that those aren't the best role models.

I mean if you look up stories of Mike Watson and Jeff Schaeffer and some of the other early So-Cal heads in SF2 you will see the same stories in those alt.sf2 group IRC chats. But the scene is so much bigger now that guys like them either hang out with their own cliques and don't interact with gen pop or just don't play.

Pig Of The Hut

Don't be that humble here man.

Titles speak by themselves, and although Tweedy is a good Kenshi player, he still has not placed with Kenshi at tournaments, whereas you brought the blindman to 2 esl season finals when he was actual garbage across the three variations.

Unless we are measuring skill in a way that does not take into account placings (which reading the thread seems not to be the case), you are best mkx Kenshi.

You will be remembered as the face of Kenshi in mkx, same as mk9.
Thing is I just really don't care about that and I keep it real

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Does ESL count? Because PL was in a couple of ESL MKX offline top 8s I think. Aren't they about even in MKX since REO doesn't really compete anymore and most of his top 8 success was very early? I may be wrong.
I don't really count ESL because to make it into the offline ESL you had to compete in the really bad online first to make it there. MKX online was like worse than MK9 online in the beginning

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
In nrs community what stream or twitter do I follow if I'm not interested in gossip girl high school Skype calls or crybaby posts but want to see "top players" teach me something? Sonicfox like once a month?
Ummmm.......... Right here

I've been kinda slacking on the stream lately, but for a while I was streaming 3 times a week, 4-5 hours each stream. All my streams were just high level play vs top players and I answered all the questions people had in my stream. No drama, and I played random people in the stream that wanted to play me

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Incredibly so

I was referencing Sleep, the 2016 Evo champ. He was involved in some not so great things. Times like then is when you can appreciate that our developers just kind of troll us and there's not like an out and out war on Twitter between them and the players.

This sort of drives my point in. You saying that he started playing fighters late as a means of justifying some of his antics is the same thing I could say here, and what I said before, that growing pains are a real thing. The majority of the people who are really good at NRS games, with a few exceptions, all started with MK9, so not knowing any better or being unaware of what other fighting games were like is decently acceptable. Now as far as those guys who played MK Deception on PS2 online and expect Godfather status, that is in fact garbage, so I agree with you there that those aren't the best role models.

I mean if you look up stories of Mike Watson and Jeff Schaeffer and some of the other early So-Cal heads in SF2 you will see the same stories in those alt.sf2 group IRC chats. But the scene is so much bigger now that guys like them either hang out with their own cliques and don't interact with gen pop or just don't play.
Oh ya I remember Sleep saying that. It goes beyond complaining about nerfs and I'd bet we'd have worse if Paulo interacted with us the way Keits does them. Again people have their moments but we're talking over the span of years here.

I don't want to analyze it deeply but guys like Valle or Wong being old school in the past I think is a reflection of that arcade environment not an excuse of age. Valle or even Watson (for all that Super Arcade mess he's tied himself up in ) still maintain their old school attitudes but are actual good examples of benefitting everyone in their community too. Even Wong to a lesser degree with his streams, those gootecks training sessions, and just this year with getting players to tournaments.

Paul B mostly got his act together within 2 years from being a teabagging online nobody to winning tournaments and placing at Evo. Mk9 ship sailed a while ago. But Paul does still teabag even though hes free in sfv lul

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Paul B mostly got his act together within 2 years from being a nobody to winning tournaments and placing at Evo. Mk9 ship sailed a while ago lul.
Who do you think helped push those stupid rumors? He also just recently on Twitter said that he can't "in good conscious" play KI seriously right now because "it's way harder to be good or recognized/place at SFV" and that his SFV locals are "harder than KI majors." He'd better be Sonic Fox with those statements lol but we know he's not. Again, he's not irredeemable, but he's not growing up anytime soon. But you can't be expected too.

My final point is this: I don't disagree that there are a lot of baaaaaaaddd hombres in the scene and that it would probably be better if they skedaddled. Having said that, the games keep getting better made, the tournament entrants are higher than they've ever been, and we've got a lot more dev support than ever before. There are a lot of really nice things happening that no one should take for granted, and yeah it could be better, but it is what it is, and being defeatist and going "This community won't change and I can't stand for it so I'll blugh blah blah" is just contributing to that crap negativity that we get from the bums who are no good at the game but can't seem to drop it. Enough of that.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Who do you think helped push those stupid rumors? He also just recently on Twitter said that he can't "in good conscious" play KI seriously right now because "it's way harder to be good or recognized/place at SFV" and that his SFV locals are "harder than KI majors." He'd better be Sonic Fox with those statements lol but we know he's not. Again, he's not irredeemable, but he's not growing up anytime soon. But you can't be expected too.
What's the sleep situation u were referring to

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
What's the sleep situation u were referring to
'Ol Sleep and a bunch of other dopey top KI guys were feuding with Keits on Twitter demanding that they be listened to and then going on about how they wouldn't nerf Fulgore because of an internal conspiracy and they were nerfing their characters, etc.

Basically same stuff our cabal does, but the developer actually told them they were stupid. It was ugly. I wouldn't recommend it.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
@YOMI FOREVER KING

Great thread. Got you in my top 3 hands down because you mained a hella good mk9 Kano so I'll be biased. Don't sleep on that FOREVER clan.

This thread is exactly what I needed to read. Makes me want to come back here more often and get some good quality games in before I2 comes out.

So many great points and hard cold truths I've read.

It's nice to see pro's here posting here again. I think its important for a small community and great site like ours that no matter if your yung or an elder. Pro or Joe even right or wrong posts were made that shows we are strong, stable and vibrant community.

Both fireworks of truth and jewels of knowledge were dropped. Anyways whatever.

Carry on.

Oh and honeybee & Detroitballen as honorable mentions in the top 5 category.

Detroit was scary with that Kabal.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I know I said I was done. But then why shit talk me and tell me I was wrong because I was the one to call people out on their bullshit? That's kinda fucked up. Maybe you just didn't understand the way I interpreted it which is my fault, but whatever. It is what it is.
The point of saying you are done is not responding even when the other person continues talking shit.. Just thought you should know

Pig Of The Hut

'Ol Sleep and a bunch of other dopey top KI guys were feuding with Keits on Twitter demanding that they be listened to and then going on about how they wouldn't nerf Fulgore because of an internal conspiracy and they were nerfing their characters, etc.

Basically same stuff our cabal does, but the developer actually told them they were stupid. It was ugly. I wouldn't recommend it.
Been there done that

Not recommended, he'll learn

Its funny to see some people complain without any real reason at all, just to point out how bad it is that X community isn't similar to Y community, well get used to it people are different, games are different and ultimately communities are different

I don't really see anything wrong with this community, I mean it was complaining about the state of the game and this pretty much happens with all competitive games, some of it was true and some of it wasn't

It's interesting though, how some make such a big deal out of it, I wonder if these people complaining about complaining are actually the ones trying to ruin the community

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I don't really count ESL because to make it into the offline ESL you had to compete in the really bad online first to make it there. MKX online was like worse than MK9 online in the beginning
That's interesting, and to bring this topic back on point, because if you look at it, the ESL's would help lend some credence to PL's overall placing since he did do pretty well and placed above some decent players at those ESL's. I could see discounting like the weekly online results, but those offline results should probably count for something right?

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
That's interesting, and to bring this topic back on point, because if you look at it, the ESL's would help lend some credence to PL's overall placing since he did do pretty well and placed above some decent players at those ESL's. I could see discounting like the weekly online results, but those offline results should probably count for something right?
In a way that makes sense but the esl finals only had 16 people competing offline