What's new

Tom Brady's Raiden - Critique?

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
It's simple anyone with half a brain can look at Tom's tier list and see he put his "new main" at the top and the character he feels let him down almost at the bottom. The fact that Tom thought Raiden had no bad match-ups is the main reason he lost. I also feel he didnt know Raidens match-ups that well to begin with even Perfect Legend called him and told what not to do against Reptile and Tom did it anyway and lost because of it. I know alot of ppl repect Tom for back in the day accolades but lets be real this isn't MK vs DC and he's not playing Green Lantern maybe just maybe ppl need to see thats he's not that good at MK9 and the fact that he chose Raiden and still couldn't place top 8 says alot. Stop trying to be what your not Tom go back to earning respect playing a solid Sub-Zero and please for the love of god quit crying everytime you get blown up be a man and a pro and suck it up and admit you were bested in a match.
I think this is a tad bit harsh. Tom is a great players, he has placed top 8 numerous times, you should make sure you know what your talking about. He also is very new to the char and lacks MU exp. Just give him time to prove you wrong.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
i never realized the teleport could be punished until i played a sektor and teleported blocking and was punished by a 122. I realized damn the raiden teleport can be punished. though when most people punish it it's cuz the raiden player tried to teleport into a combo or grab instead of blocking.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
For some reason Brady always looks sloppy against TSabin. He needs to realize that effective aggressiveness is the way to win in this game not turtling. plus I would like to see some NJP's to stop all those crossups, especially when everyone in the building knows hes gonna get crossed up. Other than those things I thought he looked very solid. Just struggled against some very good players with a fairly new character that he didn't have much tourney experience with. I actually think Cage is his best character though.

Panque

Random foreign guy
I've said it before, people need to just let the guy play the game instead of being on his case at every available opportunity.
If you said you are the best and lamest player with your secret new main (which turns out to be Raiden) and that you would make it to top 3 in a tournament REO, CD, CD Jr, Maxter, Chris G, Sabin and a bunch of other top players are attending to, the least you should expect would be people to be in your case. I must say, as a Brady fan, Tom Brady please STFU. Theres no better way to put this, and I mean no offense. He desperately needs to step out of the spotlight so he can get to the level he and most of us want him to get to. I know Brady out of the spotlight is bad for hype, but think about Brady vs REO, Brady vs CD Jr or even Brady vs PL at Evo's grand finals, isn't that hype?

About his Raiden, it sure needs more time and MU experience, even I would have teleported and punished maxter for some of those bombs, and I have no clue how to play Raiden decently... But he sure is good, you don't get tied at 9 on a major if you aren't damn good.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Man I love Tom and why do I feel like in the end he'll win evo

It's like rocky 4
So bad, it would be quite the epic moment if it were to happen. I see a documentary on this already, Tom failing to achieve any tournament win all year but takes home Evo 2012.

Tang94

Confirmed Seeker
I think Tom's Raiden showed promise. His corner game was quite good; apart from dropping a couple combos. Aside from placing within the top 3, he probably accomplished what he wanted: to see what he needs to improve.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Maaaaaaaaan, I hope to get popular enough one day to not even get top 8 and have a 5+ page discussion about how I played my character. Also while no other player has a thread about them, daaaaaayyuuuum.
He also had a 12 page thread about who his new main was, including everyone in the DFW area trolling because we knew it was Raiden from the beginning.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
So id like to hear some critique of Tom's Raiden play from all you veteran raidens out there or players in general.

My thoughts? Well they are the same. I think Raiden IS NOT #1 and is very over hyped/over rated right now.

As for tom's play a lot of good things but definitely showed he has MU experience to work on as well as more time w the character.

Also i finally saw some players approaching the "nonpunishable teleport" correctly w anticipation and cross ups.

At FR i propose this to anyone who thinks you cant punish raiden's teleport.

Id like to play aginst a top level Raiden such as B Wizz. We play 1 match. Every teleport i punish that person who doesnt believe the teleport can be punished owes me $5.00, everytime i try to punish and its blocked i owe them $5.00

I have to attempt a punish. Sometimes its smart to attempt others it isnt
Yeah, that's were exactly my thoughts. He still needs more time and dedication with the character. Tom was droping lots and I mean LOTS of combos with Raiden. His combos are WAY harder than Sub-Zero's, for instance.

But anyways, If Raiden isn't top 1, who in the blue Hell is? I'd like to hear your opinion, Hut.

A good Raiden player like B Wizz or PerfectLegend are not going to spam teleport, I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. They gonna use it to escape JiP situations and as counter projectile measure.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Well Final Round will be my first MK9 tournament. I'll at least bring the hype when I go 0-2 ;)
Just bring your Juggernaut costume and run around screaming "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!" You'd instantly become my favorite player.

edit: Seriously, you should do it! Tom Brady will never reach that level of hype. "You see the Juggernaut playing MK9?" "Yeah man..."

Shady

Noob
Well Final Round will be my first MK9 tournament. I'll at least bring the hype when I go 0-2 ;)
I thought I was gonna go 0-2 at WB, ended up going 3-2 and being one game away from top 16. Had to have REO in my pool though, so the rest of the people were pretty much fighting for that losers finalist spot....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I thought I was gonna go 0-2 at WB, ended up going 3-2 and being one game away from top 16. Had to have REO in my pool though, so the rest of the people were pretty much fighting for that losers finalist spot....
I stopped playing MK9 in May and just got back into it this month to practice for Final Round. So, I basically have zero match-up experience or even MK9 experience in general. But, I have swag... so it evens out.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Well that is the difference between a player and a pro player. And even if you don't shake the other teams hand after your basketball game I bet you don't go and make a video blaming the crowd for your loss.
Sasarix.. stop bitching about Tom.. YOU started blasting him which this thread is not for. Btw what have you done in mk9 mister pro player?

Reactions: Jim

Eazail

Noob
So id like to hear some critique of Tom's Raiden play from all you veteran raidens out there or players in general.

My thoughts? Well they are the same. I think Raiden IS NOT #1 and is very over hyped/over rated right now.

As for tom's play a lot of good things but definitely showed he has MU experience to work on as well as more time w the character.

Also i finally saw some players approaching the "nonpunishable teleport" correctly w anticipation and cross ups.

Id like to play aginst a top level Raiden such as B Wizz. We play 1 match. Every teleport i punish that person who doesnt believe the teleport can be punished owes me $5.00, everytime i try to punish and its blocked i owe them $5.00

Thanks for the tip. I actually practiced interrupting Raiden's stings in practice mode once using the spin and it didn't work for me.

Thing is, I was using normal spin not EX spin. Is it only EX spin that works? I knew Xray would work due to the armor, so I only interrupted it with xray as you saw. I will try Ex spin when I get a chance and see if I can do that.

Other than that, I feel my timing was off in the match. I dove kicked my self into the corner a couple times by mistake and was inaccurate in some of my dive kick placements (when they hit). I never want the kick to hit the person unless I'm punishing with it.

I will say that Toms Raiden is not bad but I can tell he needs more time to get comfortable with him. When the speed of the match increases you need that comfort level to make good reads and decisions. In his match against Reptile, it went way faster than Raiden wants. He kind of loss control and ultimately played too conservative when that dash pressure started. What ended up happening was jump mania, jumps all over the place. I was rooting for Tom and hoping he would block a dash.

Right now he just needs to accept the loss, learn from his mistakes, and move on. I am trying to do the same now. Never easy but time will help.

Thanks for the tip. I actually practiced interrupting Raiden's stings in practice mode once using the spin and it didn't work for me.

Thing is, I was using normal spin not EX spin. Is it only EX spin that works? I knew Xray would work due to the armor, so I only interrupted it with xray as you saw. I will try Ex spin when I get a chance and see if I can do that.

Other than that, I feel my timing was off in the match. I dove kicked my self into the corner a couple times by mistake and was inaccurate in some of my dive kick placements (when they hit). I never want the kick to hit the person unless I'm punishing with it.

I will say that Toms Raiden is not bad but I can tell he needs more time to get comfortable with him. When the speed of the match increases you need that comfort level to make good reads and decisions. In his match against Reptile, it went way faster than Raiden wants. He kind of loss control and ultimately played too conservative when that dash pressure started. What ended up happening was jump mania, jumps all over the place. I was rooting for Tom and hoping he would block a dash.

Right now he just needs to accept the loss, learn from his mistakes, and move on. I am trying to do the same now. Never easy but time will help.
why would ex spin interrupt it? its 9 frames compared to 6 frame regular spin and it doesnt have armor which a lot of people used to think because it has invincibility on wakeup. somebody please tell me if there is something I dont know, I know the regular spin can interrupt raidens strings but I thought it was too risky to try

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
why would ex spin interrupt it? its 9 frames compared to 6 frame regular spin and it doesnt have armor which a lot of people used to think because it has invincibility on wakeup. somebody please tell me if there is something I dont know, I know the regular spin can interrupt raidens strings but I thought it was too risky to try
i though it could , let me test i could be wrong.

yea ill test this in a sec

very close matches

Cerebru

Noob

i want in..... i know the frustration of being punish for teleporting thanx ..... ill keep my money

I saw his Raiden at Winter Brawl and I have to say, he plays the character very slowly. Maybe it's because he is still trying to get used to this new character, but I wasn't the only one who thought that about the way he played him. It was just....slow. But I'm pretty sure his speed will pick up sooner.

REYTHEGREAT

people still think raidens tele is no punishable? lol. crazyness. but anyways, he played well. i think he should of incorporated more d1s, 22 strings, vacinity blast and grabs.

Zato1984

Noob
Brady needs to practice 334 Tele F2 Shocker ... He doesn´t incorporate the F2 on the best Raiden String. 40% i think ... He actually does some sick corner combos. I also think Kung Lao destroy Raiden. I Hate fighting KL's ... They are so ridiculous Damn.