What's new

Tom Brady's Raiden - Critique?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So id like to hear some critique of Tom's Raiden play from all you veteran raidens out there or players in general.

My thoughts? Well they are the same. I think Raiden IS NOT #1 and is very over hyped/over rated right now.

As for tom's play a lot of good things but definitely showed he has MU experience to work on as well as more time w the character.

Also i finally saw some players approaching the "nonpunishable teleport" correctly w anticipation and cross ups.

At FR i propose this to anyone who thinks you cant punish raiden's teleport.

Id like to play aginst a top level Raiden such as B Wizz. We play 1 match. Every teleport i punish that person who doesnt believe the teleport can be punished owes me $5.00, everytime i try to punish and its blocked i owe them $5.00

I have to attempt a punish. Sometimes its smart to attempt others it isnt

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I think i have to agree, i never thought that Raiden was number 1 in the game. Tom brady has ALWAYS had really good matchup experience, he could main most of the roster if he wanted. Hes a smart guy and knows his game. His raiden however... it was alright. Not as good as PL's and the tele's were a little predictable. Very nice corner game too. Tom Brady's got really good fundamentals, he's got nowhere but up if he continues to play Raiden.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lol I was About to make a thread like this.

Some smart things but there were some indications of a "green" raiden:
-Ending strings in eh lightning
-dropping BnB combos
-teleport for offense

I can see what he means though when he says he doesn't dominate any MU. Every match looked really close and I was secretly rooting for him because I want to see high level raiden gameplay. He is very hard to use at a high level. He requires patients beyond patients to play. And Tom looked like he forgot about that and like pig said, "he beat himself"

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I agree 100% with you about the exaggeration of raidan's tier placement.PL plays raidan one time and all because he beat slips and 16 bit raidan has to be the best character in the game.Every character in the game is viable for the most part and people are too obsessed with tier list and never look outside the character(the player).Funny how Brady said in the podcast we need to stop being prisoners of the moment when in fact he's probably the #1 culprit everytime.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I agree with raiden being either number 1 or top 3 just because I cannot think of one match that he gets dominated in. I think raidens tools gove him a fighting chance in every MU. I can't see even reptile or Sonya being worse than 5-5 or 4.4-5.5. He just has the tools to even the playing field. That is what makes him top tier.

He is the Adon of MK

Pig Of The Hut

Lol I was About to make a thread like this.

Some smart things but there were some indications of a "green" raiden:
-Ending strings in eh lightning
-dropping BnB combos
-teleport for offense

I can see what he means though when he says he doesn't dominate any MU. Every match looked really close and I was secretly rooting for him because I want to see high level raiden gameplay. He is very hard to use at a high level. He requires patients beyond patients to play. And Tom looked like he forgot about that and like pig said, "he beat himself"
Yea when i said he beat himself i meant it seriously, not as a joke

He JUMPED way TOO MUCH, it was annoying in the sabin mu.

For god sakes block a f ing dash and punish. it was weird.

I agree he needed to be more patient, in some matches he definitely showed patience and it paid off

BTW Eazail YOU CAN INTERRUPT THOSE STRINGS MAN W EX SPIN, you were driving me crazy, that match was WAY over if you did this to brady. Love how you used xray because that was nice, i was yelling at you through my iphone to lol.

Brady was playing with fire trying to start offense with those BS strings,

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
whats the frame data on 1 vs superman?

isnt superman 6 frames?
Superman is 10 frames and standing 1 is 9 frames. Also consider the back forward motion vs no motion and hitting 1 button vs 3...and the risk reward. 1 vb into combo gives you 30 and super man gives you 10 and if 1 vb I blocked your safe and if superman is blocked you lose

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I accept your challenge for FR. The Raiden player has to block after teleporting though. We're ranting about it being truly punishable not that you can guess right after he teleports.
I can't be 100% if it's a true punish on reaction, as most raidens poke, jump or string, and its hard to tell if it was a true punish because I've never stopped during a tourney to ask if they blocked...

Pig Of The Hut

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
It's simple anyone with half a brain can look at Tom's tier list and see he put his "new main" at the top and the character he feels let him down almost at the bottom. The fact that Tom thought Raiden had no bad match-ups is the main reason he lost. I also feel he didnt know Raidens match-ups that well to begin with even Perfect Legend called him and told what not to do against Reptile and Tom did it anyway and lost because of it. I know alot of ppl repect Tom for back in the day accolades but lets be real this isn't MK vs DC and he's not playing Green Lantern maybe just maybe ppl need to see thats he's not that good at MK9 and the fact that he chose Raiden and still couldn't place top 8 says alot. Stop trying to be what your not Tom go back to earning respect playing a solid Sub-Zero and please for the love of god quit crying everytime you get blown up be a man and a pro and suck it up and admit you were bested in a match.

I wouldn't base Raiden's tier placement on Brady's performance.

Brady was using combo's that weren't ideal, jumping way too much, using the teleport to initiate offense, and blew meter on gimmicks.

Despite all that, he didn't do that bad. IMO, I think Brady's showing actually strengthens Raiden's case for #1, considering tier placements and MU charts are based on a character played at the highest level... Brady was no where near it.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
To be fair to Tom, I thought his Raiden looked really promising.

Look at the circumstances in which he went out: he had Maxter on the ropes with a health and meter lead on match point. Maxter managed to catch him with Cyrax's unbreakable combo, which completely changed the momentum of the match. Tom ended up going to losers to fight Sabin's Reptile (who Sabin has mained since the inception of this game) and Reptile is supposed to be quite a hard matchup for Raiden. Arturo's also a great player, so, ultimately, although he's gone out outside of top 8, Tom's played some very close matches against some very good players with a character he's still gaining tournament experience with.

Personally, i feel tom shouldn't have stated he was going to get top 3 because it set the bar way too high and now people are criticising him when they should be pointing out that it's a pretty successful first showing witha new character. He made mistakes and jumped way too muchbut he was involved in some of the best matches of the night, all the same. Great start with Raiden. Really solid.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Well then to critique his raiden... I thought he wasn't to bad with the character and if he sticks to it then he might be top 3 material with him by EVO or sooner. What he mainly needs to do is look in the mirror and understand that nothing the trolls or the community has done has ever caused him to lose. Once he figures that out then he'll be alot better of a player than he is now. Pig sorry I blasted on him in the thread but the poor sportsmanship he showed last night towards Fox was just uncalled for and very scrub-like.