What's new

Tom Brady's Raiden - Critique?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I thought TB was in Winner's bracket and today the finals were happening.

But I've been sick all weekend so maybe I was dreaming that.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Honestly,

he jumped WAAAAY too much and his teleports were pretty predictable. I mean, it looked like the Raiden I play... too many teleports in situations where people would know it's coming and using it for offense. =/

And idk about that ending block strings in enhanced lighting... he got blown up for that a couple times.

I love the combo of 334 en lightning superman. Maybe he could use that midscreen if he doesn't want to risk dropping that 334 tele F2 shocker combo b/c he dropped it quite a few times. Then again, I tend to go with the easy consistent combos, so yeah.

I'm not that good though, so what do I know? lmao

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
i feel once hes has some tournament experience with the character, MU experience with the character and stops dropping combos you will see hes goes farther in the tournaments he plays in

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
i feel once hes has some tournament experience with the character, MU experience with the character and stops dropping combos you will see hes goes farther in the tournaments he plays in
I agree with you on that what got him beat in the Sabin match was he kept trying to pressure Reptile with 334 and that just dosnt work in that match-up.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I felt he did well for a first showing of a new main. Habits like jumping too much happen when you are not completely sure of your character and all of his options. I think as Tom gets more high level matchup experience we will see him keeping the Thunder God on the ground and picking people apart.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I love how he says Raiden suits his style much better than he completely plays him wrong. You can't use 334 bolts, spend the whole time jumping backwards against Cyrax, or play that slow against Reptile. You gotta play intense footsies against Reptile and never let him cross you up the whole game like that. Honestly, Brady probably couldn't beat sindel with his wack-ass Raiden. He is decent with his wiff punishes but other than that I would say he needs to go back to the lab.

I bet you he'll make a video complaining about how "I wish you guys would stop blowing me up for losing to top players like Maxter and Arturo." Well learn a god damn match-up and maybe you won't get blown up by CYRAX!

Still a Brady supporter but Raiden isn't the kind of character you can just jump back into the game and expect to beat everyone 6-4. He requires much more thought than anyone gives him credit for. Should have went with Kenshi as your new main because you play Raiden way too slow.

SZSR

Noob
The fact he kept losing so many air to airs with Reptile (even though even with his Sub he was 50-50 with Sabin's Reptile) says he doesn't particularly know Raiden's particular air spacing. Later on in his Sabin match he started picking it up, but it was a little late, and he never tried to punish a jump kick with an air flying thunder god (I believe only once but only after he hit confirmed a jump kick, which is safer but I feel there were many points where he could've given Sabin damage for continually jumping).

Also, he's really gotta stop trying to toy with his opponent at the end and get the match done, even if it costs him a bar of meter, he still lost matches that were clearly in his favor both health and meter-wise.

Also, if teleport is instantaneous and puts you right next to the opponent, why didn't he teleport more often against Maxter's Cyrax? Especially at the end, when Maxter threw out those last to bombs, he could've teleported and punished with a combo he could've made Maxter fear throwing bombs out.

Overall, I think Tom hasn't figured out every possible situation as what to do when a particular situation arises with Raiden. Once he gets more MU experience and starts dissecting Raiden even more than before, I think he'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I love how he says Raiden suits his style much better than he completely plays him wrong. You can't use 334 bolts, spend the whole time jumping backwards against Cyrax, or play that slow against Reptile. You gotta play intense footsies against Reptile and never let him cross you up the whole game like that. Honestly, Brady probably couldn't beat sindel with his wack-ass Raiden. He is decent with his wiff punishes but other than that I would say he needs to go back to the lab.

I bet you he'll make a video complaining about how "I wish you guys would stop blowing me up for losing to top players like Maxter and Arturo." Well learn a god damn match-up and maybe you won't get blown up by CYRAX!

Still a Brady supporter but Raiden isn't the kind of character you can just jump back into the game and expect to beat everyone 6-4. He requires much more thought than anyone gives him credit for. Should have went with Kenshi as your new main because you play Raiden way too slow.
Note, I'm liking this because of what you said at the end...you can't play Raiden that slow.

Tom should be playing Kenshi, truthfully. He's lame, and he's really good. Why not?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Tom will get more experience along the year, if he sticks with Raiden, so, until Evo, I'm sure he will improve a lot and fix some errors in his gameplay. People should give Tom a break.

And Maxter is no joke, the guy is a hell of good player, the minimal mistake you do, he take advantages, so, in the end, was a top player losing to another top player, no drama is needed ...... :D

Truth

Noob
A lot of the things that Tom's Raiden needed to do was 3 things: AA, crossup defense, and using his pokes to start offense. Tom's go to AA was using jump back punch~superman; that is never good because go into the air to AA, puts too many variables at play (what if the opponent beats the punch, or simply responds with their AA, etc). The crossups were killing Brady, especially against Maxter; I don't know why he doesn't just use D3 to lower his hitbox during the crossups.

However, the main thing was never establishing Raiden's D3. D3 with Raiden leads to so many options such as: D3~Throw, D3~normal strings, D3~walk back teleport, etc. I'm still puzzled about his Reptile strategy, why not block the dash and punish for 40% instead of jumping back like a bunny???

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
I'll agree with Tom Brady that Raiden is the top dog. He's the main hero of the story, too and I do love him to pieces since the first MK. Even though I stick to females I never cared too much for Sonya in the first game and I mained Mil in the second. In mk9 there's a lot of girl hate and 50% of the female roster are gimp.
But I digress. I think Raiden is the worst thing that can happen to you in mortal kombat. He's very hard to beat if used right.

CJKRattlehead

People should give Tom a break.
He sets him up for failure, you can't be like "I'm coming to winter brawl, I'm taking top three, Raiden wins every MU" and then get dominated by two MUs that are in his favor (Reptile isn't in Raidens favor.) He should give himself a break and stop worrying about hype if he doesn't want to get blown up. Although I hope he doesn't Tom without hype is just an average dude.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I don't think there is really a MU that favors Sub zero over Raiden. Maybe JC but that's in Raiden's favor anyway.
You don't get it. Sub-Zero has a really unique playstyle and if you've mained him since the game first came out, it's pretty hard to just up and change character all together at this stage. The point is, Tom's Sub-Zero is better than his Raiden or anybody else, in my opinion but Raiden would be a great backup character for Sub-Zero. Think about it. Kitana, Kung Lao, etc,all can be dealt with by Raiden.

CJKRattlehead

You don't get it. Sub-Zero has a really unique playstyle and if you've mained him since the game first came out, it's pretty hard to just up and change character all together at this stage. The point is, Tom's Sub-Zero is better than his Raiden or anybody else, in my opinion but Raiden would be a great backup character for Sub-Zero. Think about it. Kitana, Kung Lao, etc,all can be dealt with by Raiden.
I suppose, but I think Raiden's style differs a little too much from Sub-Zero. Kenshi sounds like a better main/alt to Sub Zero, except for the KL MU.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, Tom could play a very well Kenshi, if he demonstrate interesting for the character, someday.

I think Kenshi might fit perfectly to Tom's style.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I think we need a little more time to make a final assessment on Brady's Raiden. I think we should have a better idea once Final Round comes and goes. I am starting to think that Brady is just not an elite player in this game. Yeah he has a lot of knowledge about the game, but when it comes down to execution and reactions and the little things that separate the good players from the great ones, I think its pretty obvious. I hope he proves me wrong. He's entertaining none the less and a great asset to the community.