What's new

Throws

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Bin throw crushing blows, either that or just change their requirements so they don't depend on your opponent teching the wrong direction.
Just what the fuck is that kinda shit? Why is there a mechanic that punishes players that actively try to tech and rewards those that don't know how to it? I don't get it at all. Against low tiers with crappy mids it's actually much more viable to just mash d2. A mechanic that encourages mashing.. spectacular.
I kinda wouldn't mind if throws were changed because I understand a lot of people take issue with them but I don't think they're as bad as you say. It's not that is punishes you for knowing how to tech it punishes you for going the wrong way which makes you think about how you're gonna tech and adds another layer of yomi to it at high level play. "I'm in the corner, he wants to in the corner but wait.. he has his back throw krushing" -techs back and saves themself from 35%-

Not teching at all is never going to be rewarded. A wise opponent will see that and use it to their advantage. Heck not all krushings even have the failed tech requirement.

JTC

ABILITY TO FREEZE
Im all for shitting on this game but throws are fine. The only changes that need to be done is to either widen the throw break window or let you break while holding block. The fact that i have to let go of block in order to throw break is absurd.

Something needs to be done about the 5050 kb throw. That shit stupid youre already getting thrown for decent dmg but they buttfuck you guessing wrong. Dont know what would be the fix but if it were up to me i would just remove that shit from the game altogether.

But idk NRS thrives on clunky mechanics and skewed risk reward.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The biggest thing

Throws are labeled as a high..... but they're a duckable mid

thats it. If you think of it like that.... then youll understand why everything happens.

Throws don't eat anything. You're just getting counter hit by a throw and not a button.

Stop saying it eats things..... its just mislabeled in the game.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
They don't "eat"pokes. Throws have 0 armor and 0 invulnerability. It's a 10 frame move and if it comes out before yours it wins. Same with every mid hitting move.

You're move isn't getting "eaten". You're getting counter hit because you're still in startup frames. Any other 10 frame mid would behave the same way.
Trust me, I appreciate the thorough comment and I understand that and how it all works...But when I know I pressed my 8 or 10 frame poke before they even attempted to press throw (as I already see my animation coming out and not theirs) and then they grab me out of it, I see a problem. Now, it might be the online rollback that's playing a part in this so if that's the case, ce la vie I guess.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I don't like the idea of balancing a game around online play, but online throws in this game are straight bullshit. Combined with regenerating Fatal Blows, they are the big thing killing my hype for this game. You'll know 100% a throw is coming. You'll know 100% which direction the opponent will throw you. But thanks to online delay, there is still maybe a 25% chance your tech actually registers.

My solution would be to increase the size of the tech window by the amount of online delay you're experiencing at the time of the throw. Ideally, this would create a standard tech window regardless of lag and would not affect offline play. If you've got 80ms of delay, you have an extra 80ms to tech the throw. Probably easier said than done, though.

Throws shouldn't do 14% fucking damage. A throw should be a tool to break through an overly-defensive player's constant blocking. It should not be a primary source of offensive damage. A throw should not do more damage than an entire uncancelable string, most of which do around 12%. Characters that rely on regular throws to get their damage are just poorly designed and in great need of an overhaul. Throws should do maybe 10%. That's enough damage to make the opponent not want to eat them, but not enough damage that a player would opt to throw rather than use their better offensive tools. Right now throws aren't being used specifically to break heavy defense, they're being used to turn every fucking character into Zangief.

The last big issue is that this throw meta significantly benefits the best characters that have strong mids. A lot of the poorly-designed characters that rely on throws to get their damage lack decent mids. This makes them more likely to eat D2 krushing blows than the characters that don't need to rely on throws. After all, no one is going to be neutral-ducking Kabal, Geras, Cassie, or any other character with a fast mid that leads to 25%+.

Right now throws are so strong in this game, I almost think they should cost an offensive meter. That's pretty extreme and I won't blame you if you disagree, but something needs to be done because the current throw meta is not a fun or satisfying mechanic, and is really hurting an otherwise fun game.
Why not just decrease, eliminate or give us the option to select the amount of input lag online? The whole point of rollback netcode is to try to eliminate input lag.

hatyr

ball roll enjoyer.
I'll agree it is annoying having a poke eaten by a throw, particularly when you get an Escape Fail because it ate your d1 and they did a forward throw; sometimes it's just a Throw-Kounter and sometimes it's an Escape Fail (stop mashing, hatyr).

Also super fun to eat a mid into full combo when ducking without blocking (which is terrifying in and of itself) when reading a throw. I've seen a lot of success with people beating throws by jumping on read instead of ducking. Jumping is just as annoying in this game but I'm gonna try to do it more in throw read situations. Personal goals n stuff.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
lol, people acting like not having throws as 50/50's would make characters bad, are you srs? injustice had a 1 button throw tech and people still got thrown in that game all the time, lol.

being able to cancel your dashes with a throw is also pretty dumb imo.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, did not expect this thread to blow up like this, had 31 damn alerts! My main complaint was just with the tech window online. The rest was more of a rant after getting thrown 50 times by a Nomad Cancel Kabal that I was incapable of teching for whatever reason. I still think throws are a tad too strong overall, and there is definitely some bullshit around their priority, but overall I think the issues are just exacerbated by any amount of online delay.

As far as neutral-ducking, that just shows how bad of a design the entire throw mechanic is. If the go-to-strategy for dealing with the mechanic is just not to participate in it, that's a bad mechanic. The 50/50 KB's and damage on tech absolutely need to be deleted from the game.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
lol, people acting like not having throws as 50/50's would make characters bad, are you srs? injustice had a 1 button throw tech and people still got thrown in that game all the time, lol.

being able to cancel your dashes with a throw is also pretty dumb imo.
I honestly dont think injustice is a good comparison. It's a much different game.

If throw tech was the same as injustice people would probably be getting thrown out of shimmys left and right lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
you're literally proving my point.

If you read another move, but hit the button "too early for the game's liking" you would STILL get hit by said move.

c'mon now.
This isn't entirely accurate.

Throws swallow other buttons the moment they are active. So if you are crouching and poke and d1 LATE (This situation will never occur if you d1 "early" as you will poke interrupt a throw) The throw even tho the opponent is standing will best a poke, a d3 a d4, an uppercut, all of the standard throw interruption tools when someone is negative.

If you try to do d1 and then b1 me with noob, your b1 isn't going to swallow anything. The poke will still come out. Throws are literally crushing pokes and normal.