What's new

This Is A Hunt I've Longed For: Cheetah General Discussion

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I'm seeing some cheetahs follow up mb divekick with j3-divekick. Is there an advantage to doing this instead of j1-112-cmd grab?

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
I'm seeing some cheetahs follow up mb divekick with j3-divekick. Is there an advantage to doing this instead of j1-112-cmd grab?
Sometimes I'll do this for easy good damage, and to land very close to my opponent, or switch sides.

JesterSMX

the second dive becomes a hard knockdown and you get a super ambiguous crossup if you jump-in 1 right after it.
also meaty timing is easier to beat wakeups like green lantern wall with f3 afterwards.

both enders have their advantages.
Thx. Question answered.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
the second dive becomes a hard knockdown and you get a super ambiguous crossup if you jump-in 1 right after it.
also meaty timing is easier to beat wakeups like green lantern wall with f3 afterwards.

both enders have their advantages.
Yeah, this! Also a very easy way to stuff GL's and some other hard to stuff wake-ups is ending with 12 1+3 into dash forward into any string. I use that when I don't wanna switch sides.

Error

DF2+R2
I just do it when I think it's enough to kill since I get another special's worth of meter, though it sucks when I'm wrong and it doesn't kill lol

JesterSMX

I just do it when I think it's enough to kill since I get another special's worth of meter, though it sucks when I'm wrong and it doesn't kill lol
The wakeup/crossover options make sense to keep it in mind. Doing j1-112-cmd grab does more damage and if you have meter, you can mb cmd grab and go for b3 extension if you need a little extra to kill.

Saw some of noobe's cheetah matches at CEO. 2nd time I've seen him run from a bane on venom withdrawal and he's obsessed with the run away, even getting hits and then just running away.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Saw some of noobe's cheetah matches at CEO. 2nd time I've seen him run from a bane on venom withdrawal and he's obsessed with the run away, even getting hits and then just running away.
That's how you play against Bane.
Trying to wrecklessly pressure him while he has venom is just asking to lose your whole life bar because all it takes a hit from him for the table to be turned.

Of yourse you can make the good reads but if you have a life lead I would suggest not to take that risk.

Edit: I just realized you said "venom withrawal" so my bad but yeah I think that's the only way she can kinda go wreckless even tho his neutral game is good even in debuff.

Osty

Noob
What are people using as punish strings with her. I seem to only find 332 and forward 23 grab. As I have whiffed command grabs, due to high or low. I think cheetah lacks too much, I have officially decided to drop the character at this point. Idk she is a very frustrating character as everyone else has launch strings and awesome punish strings.

Getting poked in jump ins and aa punishes are also annoying as even on a ji3 trade I have still gone into full punishes. Wish she at least had a launching or some neutral tool. Dash in d3 is annoying as well. No reward in it most of the time with so many wakeup that are safe. Feels like she has to give alot more respect then others have to for her.

Given black canary roll through you on wu for example... you have to respect that cuz if you don't it is most likely gg to u especially with her corner mu game. Just leads to a free wu Every time cuz in read you might do 250 damage... comes back to risk reward. She is much more rewarded doing it 3 maybe 4 times in a row. Cuz she can block your mu, and goodbye 800 of your health with very little you can do about it against a good canary player.

This makes very little sense to me.

Leaps and dives suck. You can fake all day but what does it actually accomplish. Not much... imo. Hate the zoning in this game. You can be patient all damn day only to get mb roll passed.

Also why does dive get beat by so many ji from other characters. You would think that read as an aa wouldn't go in the other characters favor as it often does especially since it is extremely punishable on block. It can't even be used as a gap closer with instant air as you roll right into them for a full punish.

No other character that I have dabbled with is so read reliable and involved as cheetah in this game. Until their is some changes some to her. I am going to drop her. Sucks cuz she is my favorite. But I am done dropping games left and right when I can have way more tools to win with another character.

JesterSMX

What are people using as punish strings with her. I seem to only find 332 and forward 23 grab. As I have whiffed command grabs, due to high or low. I think cheetah lacks too much, I have officially decided to drop the character at this point. Idk she is a very frustrating character as everyone else has launch strings and awesome punish strings.

Getting poked in jump ins and aa punishes are also annoying as even on a ji3 trade I have still gone into full punishes. Wish she at least had a launching or some neutral tool. Dash in d3 is annoying as well. No reward in it most of the time with so many wakeup that are safe. Feels like she has to give alot more respect then others have to for her.

Given black canary roll through you on wu for example... you have to respect that cuz if you don't it is most likely gg to u especially with her corner mu game. Just leads to a free wu Every time cuz in read you might do 250 damage... comes back to risk reward. She is much more rewarded doing it 3 maybe 4 times in a row. Cuz she can block your mu, and goodbye 800 of your health with very little you can do about it against a good canary player.

This makes very little sense to me.

Leaps and dives suck. You can fake all day but what does it actually accomplish. Not much... imo. Hate the zoning in this game. You can be patient all damn day only to get mb roll passed.

Also why does dive get beat by so many ji from other characters. You would think that read as an aa wouldn't go in the other characters favor as it often does especially since it is extremely punishable on block. It can't even be used as a gap closer with instant air as you roll right into them for a full punish.

No other character that I have dabbled with is so read reliable and involved as cheetah in this game. Until their is some changes some to her. I am going to drop her. Sucks cuz she is my favorite. But I am done dropping games left and right when I can have way more tools to win with another character.
I feel your pain. D2 works in some scenarios but not all. I think her balance is built around her damage with trait but you see other characters put up comparable #s safer and easier. She's my favorite and I'm not dropping her but I am picking up catwoman to handle lopsided matchups.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
d3 is a decent punish; it sets up your oki game and does a nice little chunk of damage. Otherwise, 112~db2. If you have enough meter, 112~bounce.cancel-j3~112~dbf1 does, I believe, over 500 damage. If you notice the opponent crouching after getting blocked, start punishing with db1.mb for a good 400+ damage. Cheetah's not as braindead as the top tier in this game; you've got to be a little more creative, but you're rewarded well for your creativity (unless you're against Aquaman, Batman, or Scarecrow, in which case fuck it, put down your controller).

Like dive kicks in MK her air dive should have more priority period in air to air situations. Sonya and Kung Lao as example.

Getting AA for pounces and jump is meh ok gotta be fair even though its her only way in

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
It's not her only way in. No air move should have priority over an AA, that would be scruby like just watch Batman's J2...

Jumping is not her only way in at all, you can dash in (she has a 12F dash), D3, MB F3, IA pounce, or jump are her best ways to get in. Obviously all of these are reads, she doesn't have a get in for free advancing fast mid or stupid air normal like some characters but that's her.

Osty

Noob
d3 is a decent punish; it sets up your oki game and does a nice little chunk of damage. Otherwise, 112~db2. If you have enough meter, 112~bounce.cancel-j3~112~dbf1 does, I believe, over 500 damage. If you notice the opponent crouching after getting blocked, start punishing with db1.mb for a good 400+ damage. Cheetah's not as braindead as the top tier in this game; you've got to be a little more creative, but you're rewarded well for your creativity (unless you're against Aquaman, Batman, or Scarecrow, in which case fuck it, put down your controller).
I do alot of these already. Against small frame characters 112 is terrible with 2 high starters is all I am sayin. What I was saying earlier... Yeah it is a hard knockdown for d3.. But so many characters have wakeup that can beat a well time f3. Canary wakeup hand spring can be caught if they are going away from you, but if you do it and she does a front hand spring. It goes through you and canary is behind. Than you are playing the neutral again all with hop in hop out d3. To have the same read every time. Not saying she should always have a free mixup on knockdown. That would be broken. She needs something to compensate her God awful neutral.

Tick grabs are sometimes useless as you get these jump happy people and you get punished in doing so. Her options are reads and conditions of the player.

Not to say that it isn't loads of fun to make lots of reads. That is fun. But, not having abilities to compete against other character neutral is annoying. D3 should NOT be cheetahs go to option in poking solely. It often is cuz none of her other abilities have much range at all.

I am not amazing by any means. My highest in ranked on xbox was 180, but there was only one other cheetah in the leaderboards. I am just tired of losing to certain things sometimes when I could play a class with range and let's be honest.

WHY do characters with lots of ranged abilities and meter building potential have a better neutral game?!?!??!?! I keep telling myself that things will get better, but they don't. People will learn what cheetah options are and she will continually be an easy win.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I do alot of these already. Against small frame characters 112 is terrible with 2 high starters is all I am sayin. What I was saying earlier... Yeah it is a hard knockdown for d3.. But so many characters have wakeup that can beat a well time f3. Canary wakeup hand spring can be caught if they are going away from you, but if you do it and she does a front hand spring. It goes through you and canary is behind. Than you are playing the neutral again all with hop in hop out d3. To have the same read every time. Not saying she should always have a free mixup on knockdown. That would be broken. She needs something to compensate her God awful neutral.

Tick grabs are sometimes useless as you get these jump happy people and you get punished in doing so. Her options are reads and conditions of the player.

Not to say that it isn't loads of fun to make lots of reads. That is fun. But, not having abilities to compete against other character neutral is annoying. D3 should be cheetahs go to option. It often is cuz none of her other abilities have much range at all.

I am not amazing by any means. My highest in ranked on xbox was 180, but there was only one other cheetah in the leaderboards. I am just tired of losing to certain things sometimes when I could play a class with range and let's be honest.

WHY do characters with lots of ranged abilities and meter building potential have a better neutral game?!?!??!?! I keep telling myself that things will get better, but they don't. People will learn what cheetah options are and she will continually be an easy win.
You asked for punishes; hit-level doesn't matter for punishes. If they are more than -7 and within your standing 1 range, they can't crouch it.

Otherwise, you've got 22, which is mid mid with decent range.

Osty

Noob
You asked for punishes; hit-level doesn't matter for punishes. If they are more than -7 and within your standing 1 range, they can't crouch it.

Otherwise, you've got 22, which is mid mid with decent range.
Your right... 112 into db2 or I suppose against large frame characters you can short leap pounce into more continual mixup off the punish, which is honestly what I will do the most. Doesn't work with small frame characters though. You can often catch people walking back with a pretty nice crossup ji1 with the short leap.

I went directly into my rant of the character forgetting my original post.

Honest opinion though as a total package do you believe she is that good?!?!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Your right... 112 into db2 or I suppose against large frame characters you can short leap pounce into more continual mixup off the punish, which is honestly what I will do the most. Doesn't work with small frame characters though. You can often catch people walking back with a pretty nice crossup ji1 with the short leap.

I went directly into my rant of the character forgetting my original post.

Honest opinion though as a total package do you believe she is that good?!?!
I believe she is great, just the current top tier are inexcusably good. In any other game she would be amazing; she just can't compete with the likes of Aquaman, Batman, Superman, and Scarecrow. I think she handles Adam and Atro rather well, though.

(Also, not saying Scarecrow is top, he just shits on her really hard.)

GroovyMango

Bullseye
I believe she is great, just the current top tier are inexcusably good. In any other game she would be amazing; she just can't compete with the likes of Aquaman, Batman, Superman, and Scarecrow. I think she handles Adam and Atro rather well, though.

(Also, not saying Scarecrow is top, he just shits on her really hard.)
I actually think she does decently well against aquaman. Supes and Batman (especially batman) are the ones who give me the most trouble

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I actually think she does decently well against aquaman. Supes and Batman (especially batman) are the ones who give me the most trouble
Please post some footage of you vs a skilled Aquaman. His trait destroys her since her strings don't launch, his d2 shits on all of her options, TR wakeup ruins her f3 oki game, and you better be ready to eat d1-TR after d1-TR.