What's new

This Is A Hunt I've Longed For: Cheetah General Discussion

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I don't agree with that. Lunge is something that is used to make your opponent guess in neutral, something that from that far no other character can really do. If you see people start to do mb b3 or d2 a lot, then do short lunge and have them waste a bar with no punish, or just whiff something to be punished if you're close enough.

I don't think it's the greatest tool ever, and I would like cheetah to get some buffs, but the issue is if you give her too much, she becomes the strongest character ez. I'd love it if she had a 6f normal, a way for her dp to lead to a full combo, or a forward moving string, but any of these tools can make her really really strong when she's not even that weak. Yeah she struggles but whatever, neutral against that character isn't easy for your opponent to deal with, no matter how bad anyone thinks she is. Batman REALLY is the only character I think she struggles super hard with.

Also D3 is great since the knockdown is long enough to lead to an ambiguous jump in with any button, and if you're gtting mashed after you jump, press the button later and give yourself more advantage, make them question whether they should mash or not.
Cheetah has a very limited set of tools, if a character is happy holding backward and throwing out projectiles lunge does not cover her lack of options for pressure midscreen. It is a fantasy to say work through the match-ups because she quite literally has hardly anything to work with.

Cheetah needs a neutral cancel on lunge, more range on B1, less pushback on F3 (but make it plus 5) a total rework on 223 (at least make it not -31) and more hit advantage on 22 112 and B11 so she can pressure better with lunge cancels(neutral cancels could help this so she doesn't lose frames dashing).

Her divekick needs better tracking and priority. Its unsafe on block and whiff for a reason. Spotted torpedo would be sick as well.

Last edited:

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Thanks. Is there a popular Cheetah Discord? I was on Discord around launch but uninstalled because there were just so many channels popping up that it was too difficult to keep a hold of.
Not that I know of. I'm in a catwoman, scarecrow, and red hood one. Cheetah doesn't really need one right now imo. The group is pretty small and troll free so we don't have anything to avoid.

Espio

Kokomo
Cheetah has potential but there's some questionable things going on with her. She fights characters like Scarecrow who have better footsies, but also way better offense, anti-air, faster down 1 etc and she just kind of has to hold so much shit. She gets in, but it's kind of like ehh....and? Where's your real advantage? Even a lot of her on hit stuff that is plus pushes you so far back that the opponent doesn't have to be scared or guess after like 1,1,2.

She literally has no answer for so many things because her neutral is terrible. Aquaman does whatever on block and she can't check him, he just chips her out all day with minimal consequence. It's not just those two though, there are a plethora of examples like Blue Beetle, Atrocitus, Batman and others that not only zone you or space you out hard, but they have comparable or better offense/reach when you do get near them.

Her lunge, down 3, forward 3 etc are all very good, but rushdown characters with no projectile presence getting outclassed up close against characters that are good at pretty much everything is just hard to feel good about. The idea of playing a rushdown grappler or what have you is the idea that you struggle to get in, but once you do you have a pretty sensible and solid advantage. That balance is off with her.

I feel like Cheetah should have had a safe chip damage special of some kind, I think it's super strange she doesn't have something like that. The only way she can do actual notable chip safely is if she has trait active (I don't understand why there isn't a string on block she can cancel this into to give her some modest plus frames).

A lot of times you have to activate it in very situational ways and most characters can run away till the trait expires anyway and you're not catching them because you lack the range to do so or by the time you can actually get in position to start, it's gone.

I'm not saying she's bad or anything and I get that I guess she was intended to be yolo, but that play style doesn't work when others can take less risks for comparable or better reward into big damage with better pokes, pressure and zoning options.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster

Cheetah is super fun and I love her design. For me though I feel like she hasn't had the development time put in and is lacking a full toolkit to compete in alot of match-ups.

She can win games that she shouldn't with reckless (punishable) pressure but lacks a solid game-plan and normals that can be used in a footsie situation or a string that supports the idea of her as a rushdown character.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Cheetah has potential but there's some questionable things going on with her. She fights characters like Scarecrow who have better footsies, but also way better offense, anti-air, faster down 1 etc and she just kind of has to hold so much shit. She gets in, but it's kind of like ehh....and? Where's your real advantage? Even a lot of her on hit stuff that is plus pushes you so far back that the opponent doesn't have to be scared or guess after like 1,1,2.

She literally has no answer for so many things because her neutral is terrible. Aquaman does whatever on block and she can't check him, he just chips her out all day with minimal consequence. It's not just those two though, there are a plethora of examples like Blue Beetle, Atrocitus, Batman and others that not only zone you or space you out hard, but they have comparable or better offense/reach when you do get near them.

Her lunge, down 3, forward 3 etc are all very good, but rushdown characters with no projectile presence getting outclassed up close against characters that are good at pretty much everything is just hard to feel good about. The idea of playing a rushdown grappler or what have you is the idea that you struggle to get in, but once you do you have a pretty sensible and solid advantage. That balance is off with her.

I feel like Cheetah should have had a safe chip damage special of some kind, I think it's super strange she doesn't have something like that. The only way she can do actual notable chip safely is if she has trait active (I don't understand why there isn't a string on block she can cancel this into to give her some modest plus frames).

A lot of times you have to activate it in very situational ways and most characters can run away till the trait expires anyway and you're not catching them because you lack the range to do so or by the time you can actually get in position to start, it's gone.

I'm not saying she's bad or anything and I get that I guess she was intended to be yolo, but that play style doesn't work when others can take less risks for comparable or better reward into big damage with better pokes, pressure and zoning options.
This 100%. You take other characters into practice mode and you can't help but be disappointed in cheetah's tools. She feels incomplete compared to the majority of the cast. You kinda get pissed thinking "That's all catwoman has to do for 500!?" Balance is off. I was hoping for a patch but I guess they want to hear boo's at evo again.

Cheetah is super fun and I love her design. For me though I feel like she hasn't had the development time put in and is lacking a full toolkit to compete in alot of match-ups.

She can win games that she shouldn't with reckless (punishable) pressure but lacks a solid game-plan and normals that can be used in a footsie situation or a string that supports the idea of her as a rushdown character.
yes that is true. i was telling some days ago that her aa options are pretty bad too.
also her punishment dmg output could be higher imo ;D
i think her db2 (mb) should make a pop up instead of a hdk.
so you could (punish) combo like this: 112~db2(mb) b3, ender
that would be very nice!!

so can someone tell me why I see other cheetahs end their combos with jump 3 db2????
and Ive never really found use in the 332 string, is there something with it i dont know?

Please post some footage of you vs a skilled Aquaman. His trait destroys her since her strings don't launch, his d2 shits on all of her options, TR wakeup ruins her f3 oki game, and you better be ready to eat d1-TR after d1-TR.
I honestly dont mind the aquaman mu. usually i win with relative ease in comparison to the rest of top tier. you can bait the his d2 and punish or atleast then your in because of the recovery

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
also there is alot of downplaying in this thread geez, shes not the best but shes not that bad guys.
I agree that she's not terrible but for a game where you NEED a decent neutral to be truly competitive, she has nearly nothing. I had a guy complain after he lost with fucking Batman that I use d3 too much, and that it was better than batman j2, an attack that leads to death combos vs one that is just a hard kd/oki.

IMO if they're not giving her better range outside of f3 she needs a much better walk speed to compete. Those gear on specials would complete the character. I just think when your attack range is piss poor and you have no projectiles, you'd better have other tools to make up for it.

I agree that she's not terrible but for a game where you NEED a decent neutral to be truly competitive, she has nearly nothing. I had a guy complain after he lost with fucking Batman that I use d3 too much, and that it was better than batman j2, an attack that leads to death combos vs one that is just a hard kd/oki.

IMO if they're not giving her better range outside of f3 she needs a much better walk speed to compete. Those gear on specials would complete the character. I just think when your attack range is piss poor and you have no projectiles, you'd better have other tools to make up for it.
yea not many people understand, with cheetah you cannot d3 enough. Until someone starts respecting my d3 i wont do anything else idgaf. she literally cant do anything about you just walking back except d3 and not many players know this.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
also there is alot of downplaying in this thread geez, shes not the best but shes not that bad guys.
I don't think abybody is saying she's bad just that she has many flaws. Relying on your opponent to make mistakes just for you to have options is laughable just like giving a rushdown grappler no advancing normals and Trex limbs. Her main problem is that she's balanced in a game with no balance, I don't see it as downplaying just honesty.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I always say I am quitting cheetah out of sheer frustration, and I always come running back to my love. Lol. We have a weird bond. Guessing you all might be having these same issues as well. Her fun factor is pretty hard to beat. At least imo.
Revet hit rank 1 with Cheetah as most played so there is hope. Lets see if we are all just terrible before we demand buffs.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me all of Cheetah's gaps?

Osty

Noob
Revet hit rank 1 with Cheetah as most played so there is hope. Lets see if we are all just terrible before we demand buffs.
I have played cheetah alot. I hover in the top 200 in ranked. But it is ranked... Idk only one other cheetah main in top 200 I think. Well I am also on xbox and everyone seems to play on ps4. So who knows I might just really suck.

I spar alot with a buddy and I can't beat his captain cold. Cheetah has zero options if he meterburns the ice puddle and stands on top of it. He just charges his gun and I wait. If you dive interrupt it, I still get caught by the ice puddle for full combo.... sucks.

Espio

Kokomo
Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me all of Cheetah's gaps?
The only strings that don't have a gap of some kind is Forward 2,3 and Back 1,1, the rest have gaps in at least one or multiple places as I will list below.

2,2 (back dash, some Cheetah's like to command grab off of standing 2 so that kills two birds with one stone).
Back 1,2 (you can full combo punish this gap with down 1, fast standing normals, armor etc.)

3,3,2 ha gaps all throughout the string. You can punish it on block since the full string is minus 10 though too. Armor is also an option and all parts of the string are at least minus 6 at best.

Back 1,1, down 3 has a gap as well, you back dash or armor.

1,1,2 and 1,1, throw variants, there's gaps in both the first two hits. 1,1 2 catches backdashes though and there's armor breaking so those gaps are ehh, not really reliable.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
The only strings that don't have a gap of some kind is Forward 2,3 and Back 1,1, the rest have gaps in at least one or multiple places as I will list below.

2,2 (back dash, some Cheetah's like to command grab off of standing 2 so that kills two birds with one stone).
Back 1,2 (you can full combo punish this gap with down 1, fast standing normals, armor etc.)

3,3,2 ha gaps all throughout the string. You can punish it on block since the full string is minus 10 though too. Armor is also an option and all parts of the string are at least minus 6 at best.

Back 1,1, down 3 has a gap as well, you back dash or armor.

1,1,2 and 1,1, throw variants, there's gaps in both the first two hits. 1,1 2 catches backdashes though and there's armor breaking so those gaps are ehh, not really reliable advice to give.
Well @Espio I appreciate this thanks.