What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Messed around more in training mode :cool::eek:

One thing I always try to mess with in training mode is more oki. You know the weird crossup hook charge ender we all love so much? I found a few ways to get it other than 21-> MB Hook Charge/etc

MB Czar Toss -> B3 -> J2 -> Hook Charge will give the crossup if timed properly, and if timed off you still get 35% + hook charge ender. It's one of the easiest to get, almost on par with B2U1 -> 1 -> Hook Charge.

Speaking of which, if you ever get an antiair D2, B2U1, 1, hook charge will do 17%, you'll miss roughly 10% damage but off a scaled d2 the oki is more important.

B2U1,113,MBCzarToss,B3, dash up, D2-> Hook Charge can give the crossup ender, but its really hard to do. If you mess it up you'll still get 50% + normal hook charge ender.

Hook Charge also gives differing levels of Oki depending on how far away you are. If your far enough to where the 1st hit whiffs you'll get a lot more oki. I tested out vs Doomsday wakeup venom uppercut, if you hit with both hits of hook charge and immediately jump he'll hit you out of the sky. But if your really far away you can jump forward and block the wakeup uppercut when you land. At most after the jump you'll actually be very slightly plus, maybe 2 or 3 frames.

Since it's distance dependant, you can do a B3 and then do hook charge and only have the 2nd part hit for more oki.
B2U1,113,MBCzarToss,B3,Hook Charge will do 50% with trait and give you a small amount more oki.

Gonna mess around with some of this stuff in casuals today. I really like CzarToss MB->B3->J2->Hook Charge for the crossup setup. The crossup setup is so good, you can do a neutral jump 1 and most wakeups will whiff. And F3 after the crossup setup will hop over the same wakeups you hop over in the corner: batman, frost, zod, whatever else.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Love it, oxygen. I've never thought of j2 straight into hook charge.

I've been playing around with a lot of unclashable setups the past week in casuals. All I have are gimmicks, but my 2-3 setups seem to work very well.

1. mb toss, b3, then empty jump forward into another mb toss. - Obviously this is a huge gimmick. But for some reason, I've only had 1 person wakeup on me. This can be tech rolled as well, but I swear I've grabbed people out of the tech roll doing this. People generally tend to think you're going to finish your combo and by the time they realize you dropped it on purpose they are getting grabbed again.

2. mb toss, b3, dash, b2 - I got this from decay. The b2 hits on the other side so they can't clash and you get a hard knockdown. You can then go for a b1, b2, or another grab here as a mixup.

3. mb toss, b3, dash under, reverse toss - They can tech roll or wakeup.

Obviously nothing here is super solid as they can wakeup through all of these. But I've found them to be pretty useful... especially when you're throwing all of these setups out and they don't know which one you're going to do.

Captain Oxygen

So today I was able to land the Czar Toss,B3,J2, Hook Charge setup 100% of the time, as well as the D2, B2U1, 1, Hook Charge Crossup.
The knockdown from the crossup setup is just so good it's hard to pass up.

Also I landed B12, D1 -> Toss twice. It felt awesome :).

ALSO screw Lobo vs Flash, Superman is sooo much better vs Flash.

Yoaks

A spaceman
So today I was able to land the Czar Toss,B3,J2, Hook Charge setup 100% of the time, as well as the D2, B2U1, 1, Hook Charge Crossup.
The knockdown from the crossup setup is just so good it's hard to pass up.

Also I landed B12, D1 -> Toss twice. It felt awesome :).

ALSO screw Lobo vs Flash, Superman is sooo much better vs Flash.
What's your opinion in that MU vs Flash? I feel so helpless when I fight Flash.

Captain Oxygen

What's your opinion in that MU vs Flash? I feel so helpless when I fight Flash.
It feels like Flash out classes Lobo in most ways, the footsies game is completely lopsided in Flash's favor. Flash has a much better jump and an easier time D2ing your jump ins. He has better pressure and has an easier time opening you up than lobo, who has to take more risks to open you up.

But all of that would be okay if you could actually pressure Flash on wakeup, the way each one of Flash's wakeups fills the holes that his other wakeups have is a problem. You have to time it perfectly to beat out wakeup lightning kick, if you time a stuff for wakeup lightning kick, every other option will hit you, etc. Meanwhile, to pressure Lobo on wakeup, Flash can usually do F3, neutral jump, or MB B3 to beat out all of Lobos wakeups... and by all of Lobo's wakeups I mean hook charge, which kinda sucks.

The matchup is not fun to play, I really think it's a 7-3

Yoaks

A spaceman
It feels like Flash out classes Lobo in most ways, the footsies game is completely lopsided in Flash's favor. Flash has a much better jump and an easier time D2ing your jump ins. He has better pressure and has an easier time opening you up than lobo, who has to take more risks to open you up.

But all of that would be okay if you could actually pressure Flash on wakeup, the way each one of Flash's wakeups fills the holes that his other wakeups have is a problem. You have to time it perfectly to beat out wakeup lightning kick, if you time a stuff for wakeup lightning kick, every other option will hit you, etc. Meanwhile, to pressure Lobo on wakeup, Flash can usually do F3, neutral jump, or MB B3 to beat out all of Lobos wakeups... and by all of Lobo's wakeups I mean hook charge, which kinda sucks.

The matchup is not fun to play, I really think it's a 7-3
I feel the same way. Everything you said I agree with. I feel both Flash and Superman are 3-7's along with Grundy.

Captain Oxygen

Lobo's D2 has a (very) small weapon hitbox like Aqua/WoWo/Etc's D2's. The hook covers a very small area, mostly directly above his head. But if you time it perfectly you will antiair 100% of the time unless its another weapon sticking into your hitbox (Like Aqua's J2/3, better to use S3 against him). If Lobo's D2 was a bit faster it'd be soooo much better, you'd be able to use it every time.

Because of the weapon hitbox you can actually D2 MMH's OH Teleport (It's a super just frame)

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Lobo's D2 has a (very) small weapon hitbox like Aqua/WoWo/Etc's D2's. The hook covers a very small area, mostly directly above his head. But if you time it perfectly you will antiair 100% of the time unless its another weapon sticking into your hitbox (Like Aqua's J2/3, better to use S3 against him). If Lobo's D2 was a bit faster it'd be soooo much better, you'd be able to use it every time.

Because of the weapon hitbox you can actually D2 MMH's OH Teleport (It's a super just frame)
I noticed this quite awhile back. As long as it's timed correctly you can d2 batman's j2, doomsday jd3, etc. I anti air with it quite a bit, but sometimes in the heat of the moment it's just not worth risking mistiming it. I wish it was faster too lol. Or at least make his air grab faster. His air grab is almost worthless. Comes in handy in the corner to counter neutral jump shenanigans and it catches things like GL/Flash/deathstroke f3 and nightwing's flying dick. But those are very specific scenarios.

Yoaks

A spaceman

Yea... aaing Aquaman's ji2/3, WW's ji3 or DS ji3 with d2 is a death sentence. It's still great for how much damage you get out of it when aaing anyone else.

Hello!

I'm a new IGAU player and I've played some matches using Lobo against my brother (he was Scorpion) and I liked the Main Man a lot, however I'm having a huge issue with his bnbs since I just can't do Toss consistently, I attempt a qcb and then forward but all I get is the f+2 attack. I'm so used to doing quarter circles that pressing down, back and forward in the heat of battle is not possible at the moment for me. Is there a way to make those inputs easier? I'll really appreciate it if any of you could tell me.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Hello!

I'm a new IGAU player and I've played some matches using Lobo against my brother (he was Scorpion) and I liked the Main Man a lot, however I'm having a huge issue with his bnbs since I just can't do Toss consistently, I attempt a qcb and then forward but all I get is the f+2 attack. I'm so used to doing quarter circles that pressing down, back and forward in the heat of battle is not possible at the moment for me. Is there a way to make those inputs easier? I'll really appreciate it if any of you could tell me.
you play on pad or stick?

Yoaks

A spaceman
I use a dual shock 3.
Okay. Do you use the analog stick or the D-pad on your dual shock?

Why I ask is because d-pads on controllers are generally easier for people to play fighting games with than the analog sticks on game console controllers.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I'm using the d-pad since the analog stick makes it harder to input moves for me.
Okay. Same for me. But I'm on 360. So the pads are different obviously. When I picked up Lobo the hardest thing for me was getting theToss input consistently. So what I did was just doing Toss by it self and then doing 113 - Toss. But the problem was I couldn't get that combo to work most of the time. Just like your having.

So what I did is that i did 113-Space Hook. Which is db2. I did this so I could kinda just train myself in doing one simple input. Than I would tell myself to do 113-db but than input f2 right away instead of thinking to do 113-dbf2. And now I get Toss practically whenever I want. I get errors every now and than but every does.

I'm at the point now where I don't even need practice. I just go start into a match cause I'm so comfortable with my execution.

You just gotta keep practicing and see if this helps. It might work. It might not. You might find a way that is easier for you.

Hope this helps!

Well, I'm having an easier time doing Toss after 113 than by itself. Why would that be?

I read the Lobo guide in here and it says that one of his main tools is to tick throw the Toss, I try doing it after d1 and I always get spin cycle instead. What am I doing wrong?

Yoaks

A spaceman
Well, I'm having an easier time doing Toss after 113 than by itself. Why would that be?

I read the Lobo guide in here and it says that one of his main tools is to tick throw the Toss, I try doing it after d1 and I always get spin cycle instead. What am I doing wrong?
There's a little trick to this. Input d1 on block normally. But than input bf2.

This is kinda a cheat. Instead of doing d1-dbf2. Just do d1-bf2.

Hey guys, Brandon here. Finally got a TYM account up. What's up Yoaks/Decay?

I've got a question for Lobo mains here. What character in MKX looks the most appealing to you? I like grapplers but the tools Lobo had in Injustice makes him really unique. I don't think there is anyone even remotely like him in MKX. But Takeda does look interesting with his whips and potential to pull off big combos like Lobo.

Kano seems really similar to Lobo with his whole scumbag character that uses high tech weapons, but his grappling abilities seems really limited from what I read on the forums. I'm putting my hopes either into Jason or Tremor...

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'

I've got a question for Lobo mains here. What character in MKX looks the most appealing to you? I like grapplers but the tools Lobo had in Injustice makes him really unique. I don't think there is anyone even remotely like him in MKX. But Takeda does look interesting with his whips and potential to pull off big combos like Lobo.

Kano seems really similar to Lobo with his whole scumbag character that uses high tech weapons, but his grappling abilities seems really limited from what I read on the forums. I'm putting my hopes either into Jason or Tremor...
Dude you got similar taste to me.
I'm going Kano just 'cause he's cool. Commando seems to have no combos, but I imagine those parries will get you out of a lot of crappy corner situations.
Lookin' at Jason and Tremor for DLC too.

Also, Takeda is gonna be top tier. I'm calling it right now. I'd put money on that shit.

Decay

King of the Bill

Sup dude. I'm thinking I'm gonna try kano and stuff, but not command throw variation

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm gonna go to a prerelease tourney tomorrow. I'm gonna use Scorpion since I know how he plays and have a gameplan. I only have like an hour to figure out Scorp's linkers but I'm going to use Ninjitsu Scorp's F2, F3, D4-F2 and grabs in my vortex after carefully examining MIT's Scorpion write up and Fatal 8 matches. Wish me luck.

Back to the subject of Lobo, I feel the best way I could describe him is a Bruiser. He's like a grappler who has the mobility and intelligence to use tools that make him more than "I'll grapple you really hard and u die lol don't b scurred kum kloser khild i promise i wont huwt u". Hopefully someone in MKX can fill that role.