What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

something I should add about the corner thing: you have to hold forward to make Lobo turn around. Depending on how deep you hit the facedive, you can either barely move Lobo or just walk forward to cause the corner reversal, it's not really consistent for me tho. The timing to backdash is really awkward, you're basically holding forward for like a few seconds then dashing at a certain point.

What would you use that set up for?
Well, I'm kinda still thinking about that part, myself. I mean, I know we all try to abuse facedives in the corner (don't try to hide it, everyone attempts the facedive infinite at some point in a set), and the only way out of that is guessing correctly/hoping the lobo player fucked up the facedive/wake-up out of it, and this shits on the wake-up option (unless they are black adam, deathstroke, batgirl, and a couple more exceptions). Other than that? I guess just for the typical wakeup reversal shenanigans being added on top of Lobo's standard oki game from a hard knockdown.

Yoaks

A spaceman
something I should add about the corner thing: you have to hold forward to make Lobo turn around. Depending on how deep you hit the facedive, you can either barely move Lobo or just walk forward to cause the corner reversal, it's not really consistent for me tho. The timing to backdash is really awkward, you're basically holding forward for like a few seconds then dashing at a certain point.

Well, I'm kinda still thinking about that part, myself. I mean, I know we all try to abuse facedives in the corner (don't try to hide it, everyone attempts the facedive infinite at some point in a set), and the only way out of that is guessing correctly/hoping the lobo player fucked up the facedive/wake-up out of it, and this shits on the wake-up option (unless they are black adam, deathstroke, batgirl, and a couple more exceptions). Other than that? I guess just for the typical wakeup reversal shenanigans being added on top of Lobo's standard oki game from a hard knockdown.
It is a REQUIREMENT to do the Facedive infinite in the corner in EVERY MATCH! And if you don't! You have failed the Lobo Community! :DOGE

On a serious note. The more "tech" is found with this character the better. People will find ways to use discovered tech with any character. To me this is just another mixup with Lobo's already really good Oki.

I've tested to see if this backdash tech works on everyone and on every stage/corner in the game and here is what I've found:

It works on everyone, but it's really easy to mis-time it. If you're off on the timing, you end up backdashing into the opponent and not the corner, which leads to pain and anguish.

Timing is actually easier than I made it out to be in my original post. For the facedive, it has to be right when you're above the opponent. For the dash, you can do it immediately. It'll do a forward dash instead of a backdash. And don't worry; if you manage to fuck it up, you won't get punished for dashing, since the advantage from facedive is so good.

You can also use this to use the corner interactable on the other side of the opponent. This includes stuff like the glass wall on atlantis and the spaceship on the left of fortress of solitude. Video example:

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
One thing to note about Lobo is that he actually has some post normal throw options, unlike most character who get very little oki off of their throws. Midscreen Lobo's normal throw puts them just in range for the low hook, sometime I catch people with this just to condition them; if you expect them to jump, a trait pumpshot will catch them out of the air. Once you condition them to sit still post-throw, you can dash in and do stuff
If you throw them in the corner, you have access to the Overhead hook charge, and Czar toss.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
One thing to note about Lobo is that he actually has some post normal throw options, unlike most character who get very little oki off of their throws. Midscreen Lobo's normal throw puts them just in range for the low hook, sometime I catch people with this just to condition them; if you expect them to jump, a trait pumpshot will catch them out of the air. Once you condition them to sit still post-throw, you can dash in and do stuff
If you throw them in the corner, you have access to the Overhead hook charge, and Czar toss.
I inch forward just a bit, then do standing 3 to Low Space Hook/Hook Charge for a the mix up. I am very paranoid about them jumping over the low space hook on wake up. I don't want jumping to even be considered a viable wake up option, especially when its Batman or other habitual jumpers.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Im starting to get this b12, d1 link consistently, can someone tell me who it works on? I remember reading it only works under certain circumstances

Im starting to get this b12, d1 link consistently, can someone tell me who it works on? I remember reading it only works under certain circumstances
Don't bother, it's literally the most finicky link in the entire game. It's character specific, stance specific, distance specific (you HAVE to be right in front of them when using B12, can't do it anywhere else), and is a just frame.

MILE_HIGH_CLUB

FREEDOM'S LABORATORY
You leave guy no 1 said anything to you or about you I can post whatever whenever I want. As long as I stay on topic b12 D1 combos is a swag combo only not viable only for style! So sir or young man you please leave now

Is B1 our best normal to stuff wake ups? It worked the best when I played Pigs Zod. Also, does czar toss really stuff wake ups? I've yet been able to stuff a wake up with it.

Is B1 our best normal to stuff wake ups? It worked the best when I played Pigs Zod. Also, does czar toss really stuff wake ups? I've yet been able to stuff a wake up with it.
I feel like standing 2 is better, simply because we get a pretty decent combo off it if we have trait, whereas if you stuff a wakeup with B12, you're either A) spending two bars or B) using a trait shell for B1 xx low shot, doing significantly less damage if you were to go from 21 xx low shot.

Czar Toss can stuff wakeups, it just has to be perfectly timed against wakeups that people shouldn't be using in the first place.

I feel like standing 2 is better, simply because we get a pretty decent combo off it if we have trait, whereas if you stuff a wakeup with B12, you're either A) spending two bars or B) using a trait shell for B1 xx low shot, doing significantly less damage if you were to go from 21 xx low shot.

Czar Toss can stuff wakeups, it just has to be perfectly timed against wakeups that people shouldn't be using in the first place.
So which normals can stuff wake ups?

Also, B1~low shot, B1~toss is possible. You have to be close To the opponent, so doing 21 is your best bet. But the option is always there if it wasn't known.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
So I've just picked up Lobo having practically zero knowledge about his design or how he plays and after half an hour in the lab it seems to me pretty obvious what his gameplan is and what his best spacing is etc.

I've watched some videos of people playing and I see that mostly players are ending combos with hook charge, but to me it seems like ending in low hook leaves him at his optimum range for oki. So my question as a 1 day old lobo is: why are people ending combos with hook charge over low hook? Is there hook charge better than low hook?

@Chaosphere
@Cage Redfield
@Captain Oxygen
@FGC-Oni

Help me level up pls, Lobo is awesome.

So I've just picked up Lobo having practically zero knowledge about his design or how he plays and after half an hour in the lab it seems to me pretty obvious what his gameplan is and what his best spacing is etc.

I've watched some videos of people playing and I see that mostly players are ending combos with hook charge, but to me it seems like ending in low hook leaves him at his optimum range for oki. So my question as a 1 day old lobo is: why are people ending combos with hook charge over low hook? Is there hook charge better than low hook?

Help me level up pls, Lobo is awesome.[/USER]

Hook Charge allows you to perform a meaty czar toss after it connects. With that in mind, you can make the opponent guess between a meaty toss/another hook charge/low hook/blocking or avoiding a wakeup and punishing it on their knockdown. Low Hook doesn't allow you to do a meaty toss and you don't have as much advantage as hook charge. Low Hook is used mostly for controlling space when you don't have a trait shot, or to catch the opponent sleeping from far away.

If you have any other questions about the character, let me or any of the vets here know and we'll gladly try to help you out as much as possible. Since you're day 1 with the character, the guide I made might help you with learning the character (unless you've already read it). http://testyourmight.com/threads/cage-redfields-lobo-guide.41366/

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Hook Charge allows you to perform a meaty czar toss after it connects. With that in mind, you can make the opponent guess between a meaty toss/another hook charge/low hook/blocking or avoiding a wakeup and punishing it on their knockdown. Low Hook doesn't allow you to do a meaty toss and you don't have as much advantage as hook charge. Low Hook is used mostly for controlling space when you don't have a trait shot, or to catch the opponent sleeping from far away.

If you have any other questions about the character, let me or any of the vets here know and we'll gladly try to help you out as much as possible. Since you're day 1 with the character, the guide I made might help you with learning the character (unless you've already read it). http://testyourmight.com/threads/cage-redfields-lobo-guide.41366/
Pretty much ^^^ or you can MB B3 like Oxygen.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

Help me level up pls, Lobo is awesome.
Pretty much everything Cage said. tldr; if you time the czar toss after hook charge correctly, they can't do ANYTHING other than use a wakeup attack to get out of it. So basically, you condition them to not wake up which then allows you to enjoy taking their entire lifebar.