What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Well, I'm stumped. I have no clue on when, or who to start on ;_;.
Give me suggestions on what character we shall learn to blow up first.

Green Arrow. Most of the time I feel as though I can punish this character hard for stupid guesses on his part and I either get bopped in the MU by either MU inexperience/getting owned by d1 xx arrow.

Speaking of which, I already know we should be able to d1 xx Hook Charge GA's d1 xx arrow attempts, since our D1 is 6 frames. It's just hell to pull that off online >___>.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I'm gonna practice d+1, to mid pump shot as a punish. I like Low Space Hook, but on block it's highly punishable. At least Mid Pump Shot is safe.

Naug

Noob
My experience level with fighting games is somewhere between beginner and intermediate.
So what do you guys do for footsies with Lobo? I've been playing him a whole lot but as soon as people get in close on me it feels like they always have better normals than me. d1 while it comes quick has short range so does d3. Once you get pushed out of d1 range it feels like you're in a terrible deadzone where you're too close to do your midrange stuff and too far away to reach with your short range stuff. Then what? What do you guys do for footsies in that situation?

They feel so slow D: Maybe I just need to be more assertive. Would naked shotgun work to get out to midrange?

B12 starts up at around 9-10 frames, it's not THAT slow. It's range is pretty good, plus it's a low, so you can pester the opponent with this canceled into MB Hook Charge to get in or do whatever.

I'm not sure what 21 starts up at, but you want to use this move kinda similar to standing 3; using the range of the 1 in 21 to intercept them trying to get in on you with dashes/grounded movement. You can try canceling it into low hook or hook charge to get in or make them block an overhead-to-low sequence from a good distance. If you hit the low hook, you're in the perfect position Lobo wants to be at.

Using pump shot isn't really a good idea in the footsie game, since the recovery is horrid and the hitbox is so wonky on the shot. I have had multiple instances where I would hit Black Adam out of his backdash with it, or stopping a crossup attempt with the high shot (the opponent got hit by the back of my head lol).

Like Jaku said, you want to use stuff like Standing 3/21/B12 for ranged attacks.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
2 is 12 frames, b+1 is 10, 3 is 11 frames. I abuse 3 to space hook at range. High and mid pump shot are unpunishable by any special attack. f+3 works as a nice starter. Yes, you do have to be very assertive. Lobo is a bully. You condition the opponent to block, then you czar toss them.

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
Hey Lobos! I don't use the main man, but I always like to dabble with characters in training. I saw in these 1.06 patch notes, that The Main Man super move is going to hit the opponent overhead. Well, with the cancel advantage on his strings, is there anyway that this could become viable? I don't really know. I'm thinking if you could find a string that ends in a low that has enough cancel advantage on block, then it could be worth looking into. Oh well, figured I let you guys mess around with it.

Start around 0:05 to see what I am referring to.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
The super is way too slow to use as a mixup if that's what you mean, that buff doesn't really mean much since only a fool would get hit by a raw super overhead or not.

GGS. It wasn't that bad on my end, but yeah, we were both dropping combos everywhere. I was surprised I hit my b3s that many times in our games lol.
I couldn't even hit one B3, or simple BNB's xD. It's all good, my wake up game is ass. I still get bugged out when I see B1 end up as air grabs.

Any tips you can give?

I couldn't even hit one B3, or simple BNB's xD. It's all good, my wake up game is ass. I still get bugged out when I see B1 end up as air grabs.

Any tips you can give?

On Lobo in general or making sure you don't get air throw instead of back 1? For the former, I think you played pretty good there, only problem was that we were playing online, and online is online lol. Lot's of drops and input errors because NRS can't handle making good netcode. If we played in an offline set, it'd probably be way closer than it was just now. For the latter, I just go to neutral on the stick, then hold back for a good second and input the string.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
In the future if anyone wants to know what character I want tips on the answer will always be Hawkgirl at least least vs Lantern if I'm ever able to get in I can do some stuff with her if I get in she doesn't give a single shit she can just d1 mace charge or wing evade or d2 or instant boot stomp and just beat you from anywhere on the screen.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Yep.
Hawgirl is pretty much the worst matchup for Lobo. I don't think there's anything we can really do about it.
Maybe keep her at chain's reach with 3xxspecials?

So I think the first things we should be checking out when the patch hits is:

If the startup change to hook charge allows us to do the B12 xx MB Hook Charge setup meterless, or if it gets rid of it entirely. The whole reason why MB charge hits in this situation is because he charges faster than he does in normal charge, allowing him to connect. But if he's too fast, he'll be zooming past the opponent or land in front of them, like a normal MB hook charge, eliminating the mix-up situation entirely and forcing us to go for the standard hook charge oki.

if hook charge is clashable, because none of the patch notes have said it changed. Paulo confirmed it to be fixed in the future when i mentioned it to him, but it doesn't hurt to check if it's happened or not for sure.

What we can punish with trait pump shots from max distance. If we can punish things like Aquaman or Black Adam can with their black magic/FTD, then we'll have a presence from a distance. If we can punish with mid-shot, then we can secure a hard knockdown from afar, dash in and go to town. I can also see this buff helping us close out the match. Reason being if we end our combos with f21 xx trait load, we'll be able to threaten the opponent with pump shot MB and force them to come at us/hang themselves.

Those 3 things seem the most important to me coming into this patch. If we keep the hook charge tech and punish zoning attempts with pump shot mid for a knockdown, then I'll be all smiles going into the patch.

If any Xbox Lobonians get the patch before us, I suggest checking these things out first.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
So I think the first things we should be checking out when the patch hits is:

If the startup change to hook charge allows us to do the B12 xx MB Hook Charge setup meterless, or if it gets rid of it entirely. The whole reason why MB charge hits in this situation is because he charges faster than he does in normal charge, allowing him to connect. But if he's too fast, he'll be zooming past the opponent or land in front of them, like a normal MB hook charge, eliminating the mix-up situation entirely and forcing us to go for the standard hook charge oki.

if hook charge is clashable, because none of the patch notes have said it changed. Paulo confirmed it to be fixed in the future when i mentioned it to him, but it doesn't hurt to check if it's happened or not for sure.

What we can punish with trait pump shots from max distance. If we can punish things like Aquaman or Black Adam can with their black magic/FTD, then we'll have a presence from a distance. If we can punish with mid-shot, then we can secure a hard knockdown from afar, dash in and go to town. I can also see this buff helping us close out the match. Reason being if we end our combos with f21 xx trait load, we'll be able to threaten the opponent with pump shot MB and force them to come at us/hang themselves.

Those 3 things seem the most important to me coming into this patch. If we keep the hook charge tech and punish zoning attempts with pump shot mid for a knockdown, then I'll be all smiles going into the patch.

If any Xbox Lobonians get the patch before us, I suggest checking these things out first.
b12 xx MB Hook Charge is gone, B12 xx Hook Charge also whiffs.
It's worth mentioning that trait still consumes shells the same way, any attack with a shotgun blast in it gets bonus damage and if it's a pump shot it gets bonus range. MB pump shot will consume 2 shells, F213 consumes 2 shells etc. You shoot, you lose a trait shell.

The chain attack portion of Hook Charge IS clashable if it's after the first hit in a combo, but the second hit remains unclashable. My guess is that they made it so someone can't just bait a wake up to intentionally get hit by to get a clash. MB shotgun is still unclashable though, which is helpful to close a match since it also does 7.63% chip.

You can punish Aquaman FTD on block with reversal trait mid pump shot. Max range it can be done at is just outside max Low Space Hook range, so using that as a reference is best. Since it punishes Aquaman, we can safely assume that it will punish anything and everything at that range that is -20 or worse (GL Lift, BA Black Magic, DS guns, Raven Soul Crush etc). This move when traited is officially amazing.

B12 xx trait as a hit confirm is definitely going to be something I use more. And as stated, 21 xx trait will be worth it's weight in gold now, since we now have horrifying mix ups off 21 xx MB Hook Charge/21 xx Low Pump shot/21 xx Czar Toss, so they'll be blocking a lot more, allowing you to get away with it.

B2u1 is now a HORRIFYING tool for anyone to deal with. Once people have learned to block it overhead then low, you start to get some mindgames in. Cancel the string to Czar Toss to catch them blocking. Cancel the string to Low Pump Shot for a low. Cancel the string to Hook Charge for an overhead. Cancel to MB B3 to catch them jumping out of the throw/mashing fast normals/pushblocking. A very well timed backdash will get you out of the mix up off the low pump/MB B3/throw, but that gets caught by Hook Charge. You can more or less do the same with B12 xx MB B3, but no tick throw set up. Lobo is now the offensive monster he needed to be. BETTER GUESS RIGHT ON THE MIXUP, BASTICHES.