What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

FlyMike

-----
What's good guys? I just got into this game 2 weeks after a break from fgs after FR. It's pretty fun. I'm comfortable and functional in now. Though my lack of experience or exposure has me not knowing matchups until I play them or glance at a few vids. I only really consider myself playing casually because I don't have too much time to put into gaming anymore at the moment, though I entered 1 tourney a week ago and I'll support local and surrounding shit as long as I'm free. I mained Sektor in MK9 so naturally I ran MMH in this. But I found my way to Lobo who's more of my style of character as a grappler/brawler archetype. Also my track record of underplayed characters.

And I've heard all the stuff about he's low tier or even that he sucks. I won't claim to know better, as technically, I'm a "scrub" to this game. But many I:GAU players are new to fgs or even playing their first fg themselves with this. As such, they do not possess solid fg fundamentals or mindgames outside of what is specific or known for this. And they can do combos.

Soo......I find myself doing particularly well with Lobo gimmicks and just simple fundamentals. A character who is slept on due to popular hate. Dudes who use top tiers laughing when I pick him but are later heated after they catch L's. I know how tierlists work and from what I see, other characters do have it easier and are better equipped for fuckery in certain regards. But dude hits like a tank. Now against a great player, it may be a hellish uphill battle. But against the majority of dudes in this scene, you may just have to keep it simple and pick your spots. Dude has the damage when he touches you. It's already understood. And IF they do patch him, I hope that it's just minor subtle changes, mostly just to his trait or something. Make it cancelable maybe? And give him viable wakeup options. Hook charge is a good move. I wanted it to be overhead before I thought about how boss that'd be. It has what, like 1 hit of armor? Hmm....maybe 2-3 hits of armor and make it a wakeup option. And personally I love using divebomb(not air to air though). That having 1 hit of armor would make my day. I really don't give a crap about anything else. If they make b+2,1 any faster I'm going to push alot of people's shit in. Low shotgun with trait is eh unless close...but b+1 is a great quick low already with the mini combo starter.

---------
Anyway, that was my long ass intro and soapbox. Sorry yo. I don't want to come across as a newbie who thinks he knows too much without any experience. True enough, I'm raw as fuck to this. But I'm a vet to competitive fgs. I've never liked online for fgs but I'd love to maybe play with some guys on here to get more comfortable and see the prototypical style of play for Lobo. I'm unorthodox and gimmicky in every fg though so I just want to pull pieces from what I see. I only really like this game if I'm playing with Lobo. Fuck the haters lol.

FlyMike

-----
Haha. I'll rock a "Lobo With a Shotgun" av once I've got some relevant notches under my belt. I'd feel like a total fraud if I wore the brand before then lol.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
What's the strategy for playing Lobo well? Do I want to just smother the opponent so they can't get any space?

FlyMike

-----
Out of curiosity are you that guy I played a few games with earlier today?
Yea man GGs! I sent you a message on PSN after you logged off. I was home on lunchbreak and had to go back to work. But dude I needed that set. God, I feel so awkward playing online but maybe I'll adjust eventually. Meanwhile, you were hella nice with all the characters you ran and busted out some sick combos without dropping anything. I got damn good experience and a slight idea of those matchups. Appreciate it bro and hope to play you again soon.

I found a little useful thing with F21. If low on meter, use it as a combo ender and cancel into trait. You're in perfect range for 21~ Hook charge, or Low hook. Only invincible wake ups and tech roll beats this. Nice check to see if they try anything.

Flagg

Noob
Do you guys have lobo back ups? I only really play him and Ares an I'm really rusty with Ares!

I hate brain dead characters an I like those that are challenging to use. Not a lot of injustice characters interest me but ww, lex or zantanna look UN-user friendly which is what I like.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I play Scorpion and Cyborg not really for bad match ups but I will say that Cyborg makes Green Lantern and Grundy free and does pretty well versus Hawkgirl which are our worst Matchups.

Do you guys have lobo back ups? I only really play him and Ares an I'm really rusty with Ares!

I hate brain dead characters an I like those that are challenging to use. Not a lot of injustice characters interest me but ww, lex or zantanna look UN-user friendly which is what I like.

I have a pocket GL and Ares. GL covers the armored character matchups (Lex, Bane, those types) and a few other matchups that are really bad for Lobo, and Ares is kinda just there lol.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I use Flash and Garrow.
The reason I took up Lobo is because I was pretty good as Flash, and I was all "Lobo will be just as good."
Nope.

FlyMike

-----
I bought and started learning this game recently with MMH for a tournament a few days later. Now that's one hell of a backup as it's nearly completely going from one end of the "tier" to the other. But I haven't really touched MMH since I started liking Lobo. Plus I knew I wasn't being as smart or zoning with dude as strong as I should've. But he has so many options and I'm more of an upclose gimmicks player. I have way more fun with Lobo's more streamlined approach(or struggle lol) and having to actually possess more fundamentals and just be the better player overall. Or get raped from jump.

I know that if I would've got into this earlier or had time to play or compete like I want, that "fun phase" would be over and I'd pretty much have to go in pocket. As it'll take an exceptionally loyal and dedicated player to take Lobo(as he is now) and endure those L's on the way to relevance or top placings.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Exactly. I get better and better every session I have with him, man. The only thing I would want them to tweak are some of his distance closing options.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I bought and started learning this game recently with MMH for a tournament a few days later. Now that's one hell of a backup as it's nearly completely going from one end of the "tier" to the other. But I haven't really touched MMH since I started liking Lobo. Plus I knew I wasn't being as smart or zoning with dude as strong as I should've. But he has so many options and I'm more of an upclose gimmicks player. I have way more fun with Lobo's more streamlined approach(or struggle lol) and having to actually possess more fundamentals and just be the better player overall. Or get raped from jump.

I know that if I would've got into this earlier or had time to play or compete like I want, that "fun phase" would be over and I'd pretty much have to go in pocket. As it'll take an exceptionally loyal and dedicated player to take Lobo(as he is now) and endure those L's on the way to relevance or top placings.
Yeah I started off maining Ares. Then, the day Lobo was released I downloaded him and couldn't stop having fun with him. I decided to try him out at a major and I just... I can't explain it. I can't NOT play Lobo. He's just too cool. I get really frustrated playing online against people who are literally just throwing shit out because it's safe. But, I would like to completely overcome that and just play perfectly all the time.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Lobo is super fun to play. It's the opponent that makes it no fun.
I can't see how Deathstroke players have any fun firing off their little compensators on the other side of the screen.
Their loss :cool:

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Lobo is super fun to play. It's the opponent that makes it no fun.
I can't see how Deathstroke players have any fun firing off their little compensators on the other side of the screen.
Their loss :cool:
I can't tell you how many times I've raged at my TV yelling "how is this even fun for you?!?!?! God... I bet you think you're so good!?!?!" lol

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
Out of curiosity, what do people do to keep people in check in the corner? I find myself spacing myself out and using 3~mid gunshot (alternate MB), 3~low gunshot (alternate MB), 3~hook charge MB and 113's... It seems that Lobo prefers his opponents out in the open so he can throw them around the shop