What's new

They Don't Call Me The Main Man For Nothing! - The Lobo General Discussion Thread.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Out of curiosity, what do people do to keep people in check in the corner? I find myself spacing myself out and using 3~mid gunshot (alternate MB), 3~low gunshot (alternate MB), 3~hook charge MB and 113's... It seems that Lobo prefers his opponents out in the open so he can throw them around the shop
3~Space Hook
3~Pump Shot/Mid
3~MB Hook Charge
b+1,2
b+2,u+1 after they get hit with Party Crasher
2~ czar toss
2,1~czar toss

Lobo wants his opponent in the corner, not out in the open. Anything that throws them far is designed to get them TO the corners. That's why he has enders that throw them so far from him. He's getting them to the corner.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
RIP Red Venom. He probably isn't coming back and help out :/. We had new stuff to tell him for our guide.
Ayooo don't get the wrong idea mate, I'm still here time is just getting the better of me. I actually have been reading all the threads after work and in the mornings. But like I said my schedule is getting the better of me, it's really erratic I promise I'll figure out how to make time again for the forums. I promise...

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
3~Space Hook
3~Pump Shot/Mid
3~MB Hook Charge
b+1,2
b+2,u+1 after they get hit with Party Crasher
2~ czar toss
2,1~czar toss

Lobo wants his opponent in the corner, not out in the open. Anything that throws them far is designed to get them TO the corners. That's why he has enders that throw them so far from him. He's getting them to the corner.
I never find that this is the case though... most of the characters have beasty corner combo's, but it seems that Lobo only has standing 3~anything... don't get me wrong, I love the main man, but I just find he performs better when he's meaty tossing (sounds wrong) and causing havoc with his unreal spacing techniques. I like to play Lobo as a bully, and don't let anyone feel safe where ever they are... just wondered whether there was anything else other than 3.

Edit - And toss gets them out of the corner, so they're not valid

When I get the opponent in the corner, I like to harass with 3 xx low shot/3 xx mb hook charge and party crasher. 3 in general is an amazing move in the corner.

As far as when they get knocked down, it's more or less the obvious party crasher spamming then mixing them up with a meaty toss or b2u1 if they expect a crossup party crasher after the first one.

Also, Boon pretty much confirmed that Lobo will be getting some buffs in the huge balance patch coming soon.
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/375308512227651584
I've heard a few rumors say that they'll be increasing Lobo's damage on something (which is totally unnecessary) and Boon choosing the words "strengthen" concerns me. A while back, I had asked Paulo if Hook Charge will be clashable on it's own and he confirmed that it will be getting fixed in the patch.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I was talking about corner pressure only in that post. If we are talking about damage output, his corner game is just as good as his mid game. 1,1,3~1,1,3~ Czar Toss to whatever is gonna net you minimum 40% and, with the right ender, keep them in the corner to boot. He gets in, he destroys no matter where he touches you.

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
I'm on track then - I was just wondering whether or not the abuse of 3~ls/3~hc(mb)/party crasher was the correct approach in the corner.

And thank god for making the main man a better man, but fingers cross they don't overdo him... you see people who haven't even played Lobo scream for Lobo buffs, just because they seen someone else say it. Exciting stuff though!

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Y'know, I won't mind if Lobo gets buffed to S++++ tier, (the tier just below Black Adam, that is) because that would be there's less zoney bullshit happening.
Unless they make hit shotguns fullscreen. Wouldn't be a good zoning tool anyway, would it?

The funniest thing about pump shot (or at least Mid Shot) is the fact that I've always gotten chip kills with it from very far distances. I'm talking hook charge knockdown + black adam's back dash distances lol. If they increase the range on this move at all, expect pump shot to have nearly Raven's soul crush range (only horizontal, of course).

Also, I really don't want them to change pump shot into a fireball for Lobo. It would make his pump shot a bit more useful, but I wouldn't prefer it to be buffed like this. I just want nuke shells to break armor, since most of the time, when I have my trait loaded, I'm going to use it on Back 3 or Low Shot.

I'm also hoping they don't change the pop-up on trait low shot, I'm perfectly fine with B1 xx Czar Toss follow-up being the standard from that, I don't need something like 113 off it.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Yeah, the divebomb can make really good crossup shenanigans in the corner, i love just using it over and over when I get them there.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I would love for pump shot to go almost full screen. I'm so tired of having to work my way in on characters that have full screen shenanigans which is a lot of them.

Would definitely make a lot of matchups more manageable.

FlyMike

-----
Nice suggestions. Shotgun shouldn't go fullscreen. As Cage Redfield stated, they shouldn't turn it into a fireball. Even though an actual shotgun shell could go the length of fullscreen, shotties are notorious in video games for having exaggeratedly small range, but good spread. So at most, I agree with Lord Hollow on it maybe having 2, 1, 3's range. It seems to have a pretty decent hitbox, but since it does have dangerously short range, it should have great spread. Almost as good as MMH's bf3. So that say if I decide to use shottie at sweep distance, my opponent can't late jump it. The hitbox should be an arc around Lobo's head and they should get clipped. Same with low shot. Give it a big hitbox, but don't give him some huge combo off traited low shot.

Arc of hitbox talk takes me into acknowledging Chaosphere's suggestion for 2, 1 but moreso his super. Omg are you serious?? How did they drop the ball on that? It's an upward hitting chain that descends. You are supposed to be able to legit use it naked and force people not to jump at a certain range. But instead the hitbox on super's chain is like a piece of thread. I've played so many fgs for so many years with similar supers that I still get suprised each time that I raw it out in certain situations and even opponent who thinks they're caught is like "damn dude." You mean to tell me that other characters on this game can snag you with the air around their head but Lobo can't with a fucking chain? NRS please fix.

Finally, I don't believe he'll get trait cancels but at the very least his trait needs to pierce armor. Why the hell even have nuclear shells then? Lobo should either only carry nuclear shells the entire time and trait should've been something else entirely, or they should do something REALLY worth me taking the risk to load trait by me having to be completely outside range or having to intentionally drop a combo in order to link into trait.

That's all in my personal opinion, nothing too outrageous. He already hits like a truck and has tools. He just needs subtle changes to allow realistic access to those tools in competing with certain one-sided matchups, without the player having to be psychic. If he's made any "friendlier" or accessible, he'd be OP as fuck. And also not as fun.

BGMD

Noob
I'm not optimistic. From what I know about next patch, it's stated that they won't change anyone's basic gameplay, that means no stacking trait, no armor breaking properties etc. Basically anything that requires additional coding.

I'm expecting some hitbox/frame adjustments, and hoping for some armor tweaks and more wakeup inv. frames.

Here's hope I'm wrong about first paragraf..

FlyMike

-----
Nah man, you CAN be optimistic. He doesn't need any basic gameplay changes, only finetuning. So even if it's just hitbox/frame adjustments, armor tweaking, wakeup inv, that should still be gravy.

My thing is that they may go overboard, especially since they called him out personally. You have to take special care when trying to balance characters, especially a powerhouse like him who is just borderline away from being boss as fuck. I don't know if they're(NRS) even capable of tweaking characters to where there's a competitive balance rather than just nerfing/buffing at the request of the masses who are predominantly casual or a few top players who's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

I just keep having this image in my head of the NRS programmers grinning and coding Lobo with all these buffs and making him overly stacked as fuck.

Ayooo don't get the wrong idea mate, I'm still here time is just getting the better of me. I actually have been reading all the threads after work and in the mornings. But like I said my schedule is getting the better of me, it's really erratic I promise I'll figure out how to make time again for the forums. I promise...
Just hit this thread up when you have time again. We're all waiting for you and our new and improved Lobo buffs.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Just hit this thread up when you have time again. We're all waiting for you and our new and improved Lobo buffs.
I'm gonna make an off-topic thread on Sunday. I'll aware you guys on everything thats been happening, havent played seriously in weeks. I'm probably so rusty.... :(

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
I plan, and want to make a punishment guide for Lobo. What should I go over?
(Strings and special moves)?
You're going to tell people how to punish Lobo? Wh... Why would you do that, man? :(
Or. You going to tell us Lobros how to punish them other characters? I'm good with that.
Yeah, strings and special moves. If possible, take into account interrupts and stuff. Good luck, pal.

You're going to tell people how to punish Lobo? Wh... Why would you do that, man? :(
Or. You going to tell us Lobros how to punish them other characters? I'm good with that.
Yeah, strings and special moves. If possible, take into account interrupts and stuff. Good luck, pal.
The second one. Hopefully school doesn't take away all my time. I'm going to need help as well, I can't do everything on my own now :(