What's new

The Zoning Academy (Mortal Kombat 11 Edition)

ToX

Noob
is it me or is this game just meh in general. i played it for like 2 hours got bored and went back to fortnite (which is also getting boring lol). im a big time zoner and zoning feels mediocre at best. Mk9 zoning was >>>>

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So are there any viable zoning characters? It all seems so bad.
is it me or is this game just meh in general. i played it for like 2 hours got bored and went back to fortnite (which is also getting boring lol). im a big time zoner and zoning feels mediocre at best. Mk9 zoning was >>>>
Some possibly good zoning candidates are Erron Black, Kabal, and Skarlet. Perhaps Cetrion has some potential too. I also think Noob is a good zoning character, but he cannot cancel his forward advancing strings so he has major issues in mid range.

If you have been paying attention to social media, everyone has been complaining. Rush down players want more plus strings. Command throw players want more tick throws. Zoning players want better projectiles. While I am certain there is some validity to these complaints, the community needs to realize that Mortal Kombat 11 is neither Mortal Kombat X nor Injustice 2. The developers have different expectations for this game so the gameplay will be different. I also think we have to be patient. If Noob sucks, and I think there is a good chance that he does, NRS may buff him. I am sure the game is only going to be patched about 15 times. LOL.

ToX

Noob
Some possibly good zoning candidates are Erron Black, Kabal, and Skarlet. Perhaps Cetrion has some potential too. I also think Noob is a good zoning character, but he cannot cancel his forward advancing strings so he has major issues in mid range.

If you have been paying attention to social media, everyone has been complaining. Rush down players want more plus strings. Command throw players want more tick throws. Zoning players want better projectiles. While I am certain there is some validity to these complaints, the community needs to realize that Mortal Kombat 11 is neither Mortal Kombat X nor Injustice 2. The developers have different expectations for this game so the gameplay will be different. I also think we have to be patient. If Noob sucks, and I think there is a good chance that he does, NRS may buff him. I am sure the game is only going to be patched about 15 times. LOL.
how about jades zoning?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The best traditional zoning thus far - Cetrion, Noob,

The best mid range zoning thus far - Erron Black, Kabal

The best of both - Jade, Skarlet

Brief early impressions on the characters.

Cetrion - nowhere near as bad as people believe, but I can see how she may have some very difficult match ups against characters like Geras and Sub Zero who ignore the full screen zoning game.

Erron Black - a versatile character who excels at every range but full screen. He closes out rounds like no other character because of the extremely fast fatal blow and the unblockable tick damage on acid puddle.

Jade - ignores almost all of projectiles with the glow, which allows for counter zoning. Great poking with b+3 and d+4 but poor damage output outside of fatal blow combos.

Kabal - as versatile as Erron Black. I have yet to see why some people consider this character to be bad. Then again, lots of people in the Kabal forum thought beta Kabal was bad too.

Noob - the flaws are well-documented by now. High damage potential yet limited ways to access the damage practically. I think he is the worst out of all the zoning characters, but perhaps a special player can make Noob's tools work.

Skarlet - not quiet as good as beta Skarlet as she has lost some valuable frames on cell siphon resets and low pokes, but she is still a solid character overall.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The best traditional zoning thus far - Cetrion, Noob,

The best mid range zoning thus far - Erron Black, Kabal

The best of both - Jade, Skarlet

Brief early impressions on the characters.

Cetrion - nowhere near as bad as people believe, but I can see how she may have some very difficult match ups against characters like Geras and Sub Zero who ignore the full screen zoning game.

Erron Black - a versatile character who excels at every range but full screen. He closes out rounds like no other character because of the extremely fast fatal blow and the unblockable tick damage on acid puddle.

Jade - ignores almost all of projectiles with the glow, which allows for counter zoning. Great poking with b+3 and d+4 but poor damage output outside of fatal blow combos.

Kabal - as versatile as Erron Black. I have yet to see why some people consider this character to be bad. Then again, lots of people in the Kabal forum thought beta Kabal was bad too.

Noob - the flaws are well-documented by now. High damage potential yet limited ways to access the damage practically. I think he is the worst out of all the zoning characters, but perhaps a special player can make Noob's tools work.

Skarlet - not quiet as good as beta Skarlet as she has lost some valuable frames on cell siphon resets and low pokes, but she is still a solid character overall.
I agree with most of this assessment. I was leading the charge on that Cetrion trash tier discussion, but after much more grinding she's actually not too bad at all. Though a MU like Geras, I will need to see a top player actually win a set because it looks like an all-time worst MK9 lopsided type of MU. She definitely will have some winners in this current meta though. Erron is one of the best in the game it appears. He has it all.

Any thoughts on Kitana? Her community is singing doom and gloom right now but she's probably the least familiar I am on so I can't really say if they're overblowing it or not.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Cetrion's zoning feels really good. Also kitana's sai variation might be really good

Gaxkang

Banned

If you have been paying attention to social media, everyone has been complaining. Rush down players want more plus strings. Command throw players want more tick throws. Zoning players want better projectiles. While I am certain there is some validity to these complaints, the community needs to realize that Mortal Kombat 11 is neither Mortal Kombat X nor Injustice 2. The developers have ning different expectations for this game so the gameplay will be different. I also think we have to be patient. If Noob sucks, and I think there is a good chance that he does, NRS may buff him. I am sure the game is only going to be patched about 15 times. LOL.
There seems like there's a lot of plus or effectively plus stuff as it is heh.

And when it comes to zoning...Noob can like teleport a zoning attempt and do massive damage, that's gonna mess with the morale of any zoning I have to think.
His own zoning...seems pretty good to me really. The awkward speed of it works in his favor I guess.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I agree with most of this assessment. I was leading the charge on that Cetrion trash tier discussion, but after much more grinding she's actually not too bad at all. Though a MU like Geras, I will need to see a top player actually win a set because it looks like an all-time worst MK9 lopsided type of MU. She definitely will have some winners in this current meta though.
Geras's anti-zoning is one of the best in the game. He has an Aquaman, low-hitting FTD. LOL.

Any thoughts on Kitana? Her community is singing doom and gloom right now but she's probably the least familiar I am on so I can't really say if they're overblowing it or not.
I have no thoughts yet as I am not very familiar with the character.

And when it comes to zoning...Noob can like teleport a zoning attempt and do massive damage, that's gonna mess with the morale of any zoning I have to think.
The teleport is very good but too slow at 30 frames to consistently react and punish the better projectiles of the game.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Honestly, I think there's a fair win with Erron Black and Cetrion.

I was playing around with them, I'm not a zoner myself but I'll be damned if at the very least, Erron Black isn't fun.

Cetrion definitely has some fun keep away moves and some decent combos to mix things up with.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11

Yeah sometimes I stay off the Internet because I see so many complaints about a new game to the point its a total killjoy. Even just a month ppl were like "There faces are fat" "Geras sucks" yadada. Why don't ppl make they're own game then?

I bet Geras is probably going to be the only one that can do a bability as a brutality granted with his time manipulation, babalities is a pipe dream but if that move can be use for all characters against each other it would be epic.

I really think it would bring more distinctive & wacky things to Mortal kombat 11 & it really doesn't even have to be the ones from mk 9, just the ones like the trilogy.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
The zoning in the game is completely fine and i cant take people serious when people are saying noob cant zone with shadows when his shadows arent for zoning, his crazy ass ghostball is for that.

Let alone people are just sticking with the tournament variations which are trash.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The recovery on Sonya's Rings is so ridiculous that she puts the traditional zoners to shame.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. The recovery appears to be similar to Noob's spirit ball. However, she has an EX version of the move with krushing blow properties.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
People complaining are insane. Zoning feels better than ever. The new meter mechanics encourage the largest variety of playstyles we’ve seen in a long time, and the wealth of defensive options helps curb oppressive rushdown.

Meter recharges so fast, you’re free to meterburn projectiles left and right. On the other side, since meter builds at a fixed rate instead of per special used, zoners don’t become oppressive either. Using meter to counter zone is just as viable.

Loving zoning this time around, and loving Skarlet and her fullscreen frame traps. Lotta people here are just going to be pessimistic no matter what, unfortunately.

Wrath0594

I was using Cassie's pistols from across the screen...I guess hers aren't good enough maybe.
Cassie is NOT a zoner. Her projectile is used the same way Johnny’s is; anti-zoning. It ducks high projectiles and knocks down, allowing you to close space. It also converts for a full combo if you amp it and you’re close enough. She’s designed as a rushdown character, and her projectile helps that gameplan. You can zone with her, but that’s not her strength.

Wrath0594

Have you fought a good Geras or Sub Zero player yet? If so, how do you zone them?
I probably pick my moments to zone much more carefully, knowing they have strong anti zoning tools. It’s the same as the difference between the Scorpion who yolo teleports, and the one who picks them when you aren’t ready to punish. If I’m Skarlet, I’m going to outspace them with my normals anyway, she’s one of the best characters in the game, so it’s not like I’m helpless in close range.

I’ll go for projectiles when I know I have frame advantage on knockdown, and I’ll respect their anti zone tools and adjust my gameplan accordingly. You telling me it was more fun to zone Erron or Cassie in MkX than the characters you mentioned in Mk11? Where they had run, and once they did close the space, you’re flipping coins for a few minutes before you get it back. Here if Kano knocks me down, I like having more choices than “armor” or “don’t armor.”

Not saying it’s perfect, maybe iceball could be slower in terms of travel time- sure, I’m just saying on the whole I like zoning balance right now. Anti-zoning tools aren’t a new thing.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I probably pick my moments to zone much more carefully, knowing they have strong anti zoning tools. It’s the same as the difference between the Scorpion who yolo teleports, and the one who picks them when you aren’t ready to punish.
Scorpion's regular and EX teleport are punishable. Sub Zero's EX ice ball and Geras's sand pillar are not. Fatal blows aside, I think Cetrion is the only character who can punish a full screen sand pillar with a reversal geyser.

You telling me it was more fun to zone Erron or Cassie in MkX than the characters you mentioned in Mk11? Where they had run, and once they did close the space, you’re flipping coins for a few minutes before you get it back.
You can make an argument that zoning and defensive options were better in Mortal Kombat X. I am not flipping any coins when I have access to safe armor. Characters also had superior projectiles and safer strings.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
You can make an argument that zoning and defensive options were better in Mortal Kombat X. I am not flipping any coins when I have access to safe armor. Characters also had superior projectiles and safer strings.
I think you can only make that argument out of context. Do you really think defensive options in MK11 are weaker than in MKX, relative to how strong offense is?

Gaxkang

Banned
Cassie is NOT a zoner. Her projectile is used the same way Johnny’s is; anti-zoning. It ducks high projectiles and knocks down, allowing you to close space. It also converts for a full combo if you amp it and you’re close enough. She’s designed as a rushdown character, and her projectile helps that gameplan. You can zone with her, but that’s not her strength.
Yeah I wouldn't call her a zoner either heh. Her kneecappin move can make for a nice harassing move tho.

But even a little bit of zoning...getting 10 combed off a teleport, well, scratches the zoning heh.

Wrath0594

Scorpion's regular and EX teleport are punishable. Sub Zero's EX ice ball and Geras's sand pillar are not. Fatal blows aside, I think Cetrion is the only character who can punish a full screen sand pillar with a reversal geyser.

I’m usually on yall’s side, was for all of MkX, but judging by the comments here of late, I feel like no matter what they do, it’ll never be enough for some of you till neutral is literally played at fullscreen.

You’re trying way too hard to downplay zoning at this point. It’s to the point where MK might not be the series for some of you. Do you want a wealth of playstyles? Or is what you actually want the inverse of MkX? Rushdown shined, so now it’s zoning’s turn to be dominant? Because that sounds equally cancerous.

Someone alrdy addressed this, but armor vs not armor is hardly a choice, and not everyone, ESPECIALLY not all the zoners had safe armor. And to the Sub Zero/Geras examples- where did I say they were perfectly balanced? I said SZ prolly needs iceball slowed to MkX levels where it didnt trade as freely. And if you want to argue some Geras nerfs- go for it- you got reasons. Nothing to do with zoning as a whole. Lastly, you misunderstood why I used Scorpion as an example. I brought him up as an example of a special someone uses sparringly, as not to be punished- as in how I use my Skarlet projectiles in those matchups.