What's new

The WUFL Discussion Thread - Season 1

Top 8 Bracket:

Stream Archives:
Archive of WUFL Day One (Group A)
Archive of WUFL Day Two (Group B)
Archive of WUFL Top 8 (Finals)

Results:

Hey, everyone! WePlay's WUFL is this Thursday-Sunday, and there are a ton of great matches lined up. Most of the better players of MK11 are there, in Ukraine:

Here's the schedule for the second day of the matches (Group B, FT3s):

Discuss predictions, updates, news, etc. here! Let's gooooo

Comments

I'm all for post-game analysis. I don't know if we need breaks for "will they laugh or not". 30 seconds would be too much time spent on that nonsense, but this is going on, what, 3 minutes now?
I think it’s to help establish a personality behind the player so if you don’t know much about them, you try and find someone you wanna root for. The problem is, the “try not to laugh stuff” is seen as a challenge for competitive players, lol. So instead of showing personality, it just ends up being a lame segment. So I definitely agree that they should have went a different way in that regard.

I actually like mirror games and that was a very good set. Thou do you like Cetrion or not is an entirely different thing.

I'm all for post-game analysis. I don't know if we need breaks for "will they laugh or not". 30 seconds would be too much time spent on that nonsense, but this is going on, what, 3 minutes now? They just lost at least 1,000 viewers.
While the whole "will they laugh or not" segment could be skipped it's needed since not everybody can just sit like 5 hours straight with 20 seconds breaks between games.

I think the pace of the tournament is actually great - game, analys, preview of the next. It's actually one with the shortest and almost none commercial breaks. It's great.

Remember NEC with like "5 minutes" commercial breaks after EVERY single set? That was unbearable.

I feel bad for Dragon.. He was obviously crushed, and didn't really get time to collect himself before being put into that interview.

Having both losses essentially come down to one final read, and having them both go against him is a hard way to go.

This game is so sad to watch honestly......each character has certain tools that work for them and the rest just goes unused. Same couple combos over and over and over and over....same tactics over and over and over. I get it....the point is to win the prize and not make the game look interesting....it's just so sad. This game is so basic.

So you disslike like... every fighting game at highest competitive level?

Almost every FG at the highest level is restricted to few or several good moves/strings at most. People want to win and will use only the best moves/strings/special; it's not a beauty contest.

Its the reads which make almost all of the hype at highest level of FG tournaments, the smart plays, comebacks and so on; tools have very little to do with this.

SonicFox the GOD! What a difficult matchup, yet SF made it look easy. What an incredible event, GGs to all 16 participants, and congrats to SonicFox!

I think the fear of facing Sonic alone weakens most players in this tournament. Sometimes I see people make different decisions when playing against Sonic
i don't really think it came to that because tekken master was swinging hard against sonic. I personally think the big difference between the two matches ( grand finial and top 8 matches) is when sonic decided not to use jade for her lack of damage. If tekken master switched, maybe he could've tied a couple of those games and, maybe even won but who knows. his kabal looked nice and polished, kinda hoped that he had pulled it out in the first/second grand finials set.

yeah it seems like every nrs player just gasses out before they can beat him.
Sonic made a couple of big adjustments that changed the pace of the set. People aren't gassing out; they're just being adjusted to over time. And the more Sonic understands someone's gameplan over time, the stronger they get.

It's sad that some people manage to reduce the whole discussion to just characters and tier lists, while completely neglecting the amazing level of play displayed by the competitors.
Amazing level of play but that shouldn't overshadow the ongoing discussion about characters and tier lists.

If I knew that GF’s were bo9 (ft5), I would have given the edge to SonicFox. They just are better than just about anyone in longer sets. They get stronger with each game, and continuously adapt.

To be honest we did see like 23 different characters if I remember correctly didn't we? Not including the 2v2 of course. That's not that bad.

Sonic made a couple of big adjustments that changed the pace of the set. People aren't gassing out; they're just being adjusted to over time. And the more Sonic understands someone's gameplan over time, the stronger they get.
Yeah he pretty much outlasts most of the competition though

It's sad that some people manage to reduce the whole discussion to just characters and tier lists, while completely neglecting the amazing level of play displayed by the competitors.
Of course it takes a star player but it helps to have a star character. If sonic has to go top tier, he will.