What's new

The WUFL Discussion Thread - Season 1

Top 8 Bracket:

Stream Archives:
Archive of WUFL Day One (Group A)
Archive of WUFL Day Two (Group B)
Archive of WUFL Top 8 (Finals)

Results:

Hey, everyone! WePlay's WUFL is this Thursday-Sunday, and there are a ton of great matches lined up. Most of the better players of MK11 are there, in Ukraine:

Here's the schedule for the second day of the matches (Group B, FT3s):

Discuss predictions, updates, news, etc. here! Let's gooooo

Comments

So it's no different than every other NRS title top tiers dominant every tournament what's the point complaining about it?
I am not complaining. I would like more characters to be as good as Cetrion and Jacqui. I am merely criticizing the shiils who have been telling the community that Mortal Kombat 11 is the most balanced fighting game of all time.

As much as I hate jacqui...I see a lot of people complaining that she is boring to watch on twitter. IMO Liu is by far the most boring ass character to watch in mk11. Even if u watch the weplay day 2 highlight reel every single Liu clip is...OH NO LIU ABOUT TO DIE oh wait f4 fb/f4 bicycle kick kb ggs. And I remember when peoplle used to say "you don't need good mids /kb to win" pshh.
I really hope they change kb to just launch people instead of this boring ass noneventful 1 button 40% damage nonsense.

I think FT3 is good for top 8 but I think the game is more enjoyable to watch in tournament when it's 2/3 for most of the time.

I don’t find Jacqui or Cetrion boring at all, I also don’t believe they are broken. But I do agree with @M2Dave. What I want is other characters to either be just as good or at least able to compete with them. Neither character has anything that is “OP”, the issue is there isn’t enough characters that are on their level. That doesn’t mean they need to be nerfed, all it means is that other characters need to be buffed.

First off its a great tournament. Production is stellar, no super huge or boring advertisment breaks and very good games with great moments.

But on the other hand it was to some degree also boring. Reason is easy... Jacqui & Cetrion (Fujin too to some degree). While the players played great with them, it gets more an more tiresome to spectate them as they seem to play their own game... even compared to the likes of Liu, Geras, Joker and Sub. Especially Jacqui, a character i loved to see pre leap, i vomit in my mouth every time someone locks her in. Which is a shame cuz i really like the character. For me there is no difference between her now and Tanya at her "peak" in MKX. Its stupid to watch and i dont see how to same people that went rioting about Tanya back then are fine with this now.

Bottom line... 12/10 tournament, thumbs up for the players, commentators, analysts, organizers and their staff. But those 3 characters make the game boring to watch. Even great players showing great stuff with them is not enough to counteract it all.

Silver linings... it makes me root for everybody that doesnt play them... and luckily they are still enough players that play other characters.
I don’t find it boring to watch at all. If the majority of matches were lopsided and dominated by a couple of characters I probably would agree. But that clearly hasn’t been the case.

I don’t find Jacqui or Cetrion boring at all, I also don’t believe they are broken. But I do agree with @M2Dave. What I want is other characters to either be just as good or at least able to compete with them. Neither character has anything that is “OP”, the issue is there isn’t enough characters that are on their level. That doesn’t mean they need to be nerfed, all it means is that other characters need to be buffed.
I also agree with you, but people call the game boring because the meta became stagnant as soon as the community figured out that custom moves benefit the top tier characters. Mortal Kombat 11 is a game whose meta and top tier characters, with some exceptions, has remained unchanged since April 23, 2019 and whose most recent DLC characters released four months ago contribute nothing innovative to the meta.

Of course, WePlay is a well-organized and well-run tournament and the players are playing at an extraordinary level. No disrespect to any of the staff at WePlay or the participants.

I also agree with you, but people call the game boring because the meta became stagnant as soon as the community figured out that custom moves benefit the top tier characters. Mortal Kombat 11 is a game whose meta and top tier characters, with some exceptions, has remained unchanged since April 23, 2019 and whose most recent DLC characters released four months ago contribute nothing innovative to the meta.

Of course, WePlay is a well-organized and well-run tournament and the players are playing at an extraordinary level. No disrespect to any of the staff at WePlay or the participants.
I definitely agree that custom moves in the custom variations have issues (if that’s what you were saying). For instance, all of Jacqui’s custom variation moves only cost 1 stock. Also, she has many different very good custom moves, and again, they all only cost 1 stock each. I main Jacqui, and even I acknowledge how unbalanced that is.

My issue is that people seem to misplace their complaints. They hyper focus on the top tiers and want them nerfed. Without realizing that if NRS just keeps nerfing the top tiers, that will lead to an even MORE boring game than what people currently perceive the game as being. What needs to happen is elevating all these other characters to the level of the top characters like Jacqui and Cetrion.

When you make a balance update, you don’t want to simply tier shift. I understand as a player, all you want is to not constantly have to see these top tier characters anymore. But the way that should be handled is not to gut these characters so that they are hardly used anymore because of that. What you want to do is buff characters so that people choose to use other characters not because their characters got gutted, but because these other characters can now compete after receiving buffs.

Because if you just nerf the top tiers and tier shift, you are left with the same exact problem. The only difference will be that there will be different top tier characters people are complaining about.

Meanwhile a Sonya player is the story of the tournament so far, and multiple Jacqui, Cetrion, and Fujin players didn’t make it out of groups. And Tekken Master is playing 90% Kabal, and defeated the game’s best Cetrion with her.

You can tell who watched and who didn’t. We were told that when “the best players were there” that mid tiers and characters outside the top 5 wouldn’t be able to compete. And meanwhile numerous top players have been knocked off by characters outside the top 5.

This is after BigDaddyG beat Four top players with Sonya last week to win Pro Komp NA East. This narrative that the game is super unbalanced needs to end.

TBF, air-boosting Mr 41% for 1 bar is also pretty busted.

I'm all for trying to lift others to that level, but NRS has had 2 years, and they've only done that for Kotal.

Adding another point to the slot system could help certain characters example could be Nightwolf. Certain moves definitely need to be looked at. Even then adding a point would make the already top tiers dumber than they are now :confused:.

What needs to happen is elevating all these other characters to the level of the top characters like Jacqui and Cetrion.
Again, I agree with you completely, and certain character like Erron Black, Geras, and Kitana were probably over-normalized because of the community. Unfortunately, some people believe that the game is fine as is and does not need any significant changes.

Again, I agree with you completely, and certain character like Erron Black, Geras, and Kitana were probably over-normalized because of the community. Unfortunately, some people believe that the game is fine as is and does not need any significant changes.
Yeah sorry, I was quoting you but really speaking in general. My entire response wasn’t necessarily directed at you.

Nrs really needs some help with the testing tho. That one Tekken master vs biohazard match with the baraka spikes showing they have no hit box directly above him reminded me of djt losing to sonic fox due to repeated instances of whiffing on tremors low launcher. Sad.

Also I’m curious why people think watching x character is boring? What character do u enjoy to see? Is Jacqui or centrion busted? Probably others could use buffs to get to their lvl no doubt but their game plan is interesting. Definately isn’t sheeva stomp spam, deadshot or aquaman type nonsense

Nrs really needs some help with the testing tho. That one Tekken master vs biohazard match with the baraka spikes showing they have no hit box directly above him reminded me of djt losing to sonic fox due to repeated instances of whiffing on tremors low launcher. Sad.

Also I’m curious why people think watching x character is boring? What character do u enjoy to see? Is Jacqui or centrion busted? Probably others could use buffs to get to their lvl no doubt but their game plan is interesting. Definately isn’t sheeva stomp spam, deadshot or aquaman type nonsense
You mean this? 18109

Ya that happened multiple times in that match. I am not sure if its because baraka's move has no hitbox right above him or if kabal has a raised (or no) hurtbox at a certain point in his air dash either way it cost biohazard the match. Biohazard picked baraka to deal with that and it whiffed every single time but once.

Ya that happened multiple times in that match. I am not sure if its because baraka's move has no hitbox right above him or if kabal has a raised (or no) hurtbox at a certain point in his air dash either way it cost biohazard the match. Biohazard picked baraka to deal with that and it whiffed every single time but once.
His hitbox on his spikes are illustrated in the picture I posted. There’s essentially 3 “lines”. One directly above his head, then a diagonal to the left and a diagonal to the right. But Kabal was directly above him so it should have connected. Some are saying he was either too high, or the spikes weren’t active at that point? But if you play the clip frame by frame, you can see that this clearly isn’t the case. So it seems that it is some sort of glitch, or just the standard wonky NRS hit/hurtboxes.

Very fun stream and team tournament today. Congrats to Kombat and Unjust for the W. Excited for the top 8 tomorrow, goodluck to all of the remaining participants!

As much as I hate jacqui...I see a lot of people complaining that she is boring to watch on twitter. IMO Liu is by far the most boring ass character to watch in mk11. Even if u watch the weplay day 2 highlight reel every single Liu clip is...OH NO LIU ABOUT TO DIE oh wait f4 fb/f4 bicycle kick kb ggs. And I remember when peoplle used to say "you don't need good mids /kb to win" pshh.
I really hope they change kb to just launch people instead of this boring ass noneventful 1 button 40% damage nonsense.
There's a lot of dull characters in 11. Cetrion, Liu and Jacqui are up there and so is the Joker, Dvorah and Kabal.
They're good players but they also unintentionally highlight a lot of cheap nasty shit that oughta be looked at in a patch if we ever get one.

By the way was anyone playing Kollector or does he continue to be a tourney ghost? What about Mileena?

Last edited: