What's new

The Worst Match ups for Kenshi thread!

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I've not had many problems against kenshi with Sub as of yet. I don't know how everybody else sees this matchup but I tend to be able to get around Kenshi's zoning because putting the odd iceball on the screen makes him nervous of spamming his midrange moves at me.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Well, yeah. If a Kenshi is spamming at you, you should be winning. A good Kenshi is just going to be playing footsies with you. Tele-Flurry will break a clone on reaction, he can reflect all your ice balls (or read and stuff it on startup with Tele-Flurry). You can't approach him from the air because Teleslash will shut you down at range, and Rising Karma will get you in close for a juggle that sends you back to start. Ground approach is annoying because of the Spirit Charge. Sub-Zero can't punish it unless he reads and jumps over.

The round goes to whoever has momentum. Kenshi just has a much easier time controlling Sub-Zero than Subz has getting in. That simple.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Well, yeah. If a Kenshi is spamming at you, you should be winning. A good Kenshi is just going to be playing footsies with you. Tele-Flurry will break a clone on reaction, he can reflect all your ice balls (or read and stuff it on startup with Tele-Flurry). You can't approach him from the air because Teleslash will shut you down at range, and Rising Karma will get you in close for a juggle that sends you back to start. Ground approach is annoying because of the Spirit Charge. Sub-Zero can't punish it unless he reads and jumps over.

The round goes to whoever has momentum. Kenshi just has a much easier time controlling Sub-Zero than Subz has getting in. That simple.
Dude, I read and jump over that stuff all day against Kenshi. It's not because they're spamming it's because they end up playing my game once I start throwing out iceballs first. You're underestimating Sub's options from midrange.

The difference is, I can eat tele-fury's and it doesn't matter if I am hitting you with the odd iceball because I get a combo every time. Every Kenshi I've played has tried to sneak out tele-furys against me and I either catch them with the iceball, or jump over for a full combo. It's easy to say, Kenshi can handle Sub-Zero more easily than Sub-Zero can get in on Kenshi because he's turtling and playing keepaway but Sub Zero doesn't even have to get in very often to win.

Anybody else have trouble vs. Ermac? It seems when I try to zone him he combos off of a teleport punch, and if I try to get in he catches me with a TKS and then combos. Any tips?

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
I haven't had much trouble against Ermac, though I wouldn't say this matchup is by any means easy. I feel this matchup is all about patience and capitalizing on your opponents mistakes, very much like Ryu vs Sagat.

I've been trying to stay at max Spirit Charge distance and punishing most of his specials, only going for pressure once he's reluctant to throw anything out.

That's a dangerous game staying right near Ermac's special ranges. Seems to work well though... unless Spirit Charge wiffs lol. Thanks for the tip

In this thread I am only reading "X completely destroys Kenshi" or "Kenshi has a really hard time against Y and Z". .
If you didn't notice, the title of this thread is called Worst match ups for Kenshi... So you know... we're going to talk about his worst match ups...

I think he meant people mostly consider special vs special to determine matchup advantage. But don't take into consideration meter building, wake up and footsies etc..

Just because Smoke "has Shake" doesn't mean he is 7-3 vs all zoning characters. Because good players simply won't spam random projectiles vs Smoke.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
There is a glitch with the Blade Reflect. If Kenshi reflects a fireball and holds forward, all immediate fireballs get reflected too, so you cannot spam instant aerial fireballs on him. The Blade Reflect has a smaller "reflect" window than Nightwolf's Reflect does, but Kenshi's version is safer when whiffed. Besides, the slashes have a thick hitbox and do 10% of damage. Sindel's regular fireballs all do 8% of damage. So, Kenshi wins all trades.

Kenshi kills Sindel up close. Unless Sindel has X-Ray, she has to block f+2,2,b+2, Spirit Charge every time. The Spirit Charge cannot be interrupted or jumped out of. Once the player is trained to block the Spirit Charges, Kenshi can repeat f+2,2,b+2 and build a lot of meter. Kenshi also has a better AA and wake up game. I doubt it is even up close. Sindel has to block Spirit Charges after blocked Step Up Kicks too. She cannot jump away.

Add my cousin. The name is HawaiianDrink. He has already played like half a thousand matches with Kenshi off-line.
Really? If you hold F, it reflects on coming fireballs? Wicked lol didn't know about that, I'm sure they'll fix that at some point.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
The reflect is not a glitch...and u dont have to hold forward, simply just excute it

It can reflect all of three reptiles projectiles at the gap period of time if done in sequence against rep (as an example)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
It felt like something wonky going on with the reflect earlier today.

I was dicking around online against some random Reptile and I reflected one of his force balls, and it connected back at him, launching him. I went after him trying to combo off the launch but it was like there as an invisible wall or something there. Like everything froze for a split second, just long enough for him to fall to the ground. I know, online sucks, and that could've been it. But was it coded this way?

MKF30

So, there's no glitches with his reflector move then? That's just a more advanced trick I take it? We need some more confirmations on this, some people I've noticed in here say it's a glitch, others say it's not...anyone have a vid of this?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MKF30 said:
So, there's no glitches with his reflector move then? That's just a more advanced trick I take it? We need some more confirmations on this, some people I've noticed in here say it's a glitch, others say it's not...anyone have a vid of this?
Yes, they are glitches, according to Tom Brady who tested the game. He says Nightwolf had similar glitches in the beta version.

- After Blade Reflect, Kenshi can hold forward and reflect all immediate projectiles
- After EX Blade Reflect, Kenshi cannot block for almost 3 seconds

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Probably too early to tell right now, the few kenshis ive seen online mostly spam so Ive been countering with Smoke.

MKF30

Yes, they are glitches, according to Tom Brady who tested the game. He says Nightwolf had similar glitches in the beta version.

- After Blade Reflect, Kenshi can hold forward and reflect all immediate projectiles
- After EX Blade Reflect, Kenshi cannot block for almost 3 seconds
I see, figured I'd ask since some people are saying it's glitches, others not...not that I use that move often anyway but it is a solid move from a far.

Didn't know about the not being able to block on enhanced reflect, interesting. But he does absorb more health so I guess they figure, that's a fair tradeoff.

CYD

Noob
There is a glitch with the Blade Reflect. If Kenshi reflects a fireball and holds forward, all immediate fireballs get reflected too, so you cannot spam instant aerial fireballs on him.
Good to know, I was eating Shangs' EX Fireballs.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Seriously again it's not a glitch!! it's not because someone said so then u gonna follow him blindly! Tom sometimes can say simple mistakes...and u have to understand that such a guy like tom,he will always be in constant search of knowledge for the game, some tweeks of HOW EXACTLY might slip from him. Humans makes mistakes, and does have a limited capabilities no matter wut :S (PS: nothing against TOM: he's a great player,the most knowledgeable as well... hands down)

you dont have to press forward, simply just reflect. it can reflect something like Shang's EX skulls all three of them and u can even dash forward at the same time. same goes for like jax EX or reptile multiple Quick projectile spams (all three of them at once)...etc

Also , the EX reflect is not a reflect, it's more of Absorb! it absorbs the damage and give him health...so it's not a reflect

EDIT: try it out first!! and then see for urself :S

MKF30

I agree that the enhanced reflect is an absorb, I did it a few times recently and gained health meter

Jamison

Noob
I have beaten every Kenshi I have played with Smoke. I also beat some with Scorpion cheese, staying away with hellfire, spear, teleport for antiair and jump same time they jump and throw them. Some were surprisingly good for the character being out for such a short amount of time. I had more trouble with Kenshi's rushing then Kenshi's zoning. That sword reach is ridiculous it took some time to get used to. I also played a lot of opponents that did BnB combos cosistently something I haven't found with Skarlet. So I think besides the typical bad matchups Kenshi is a good addition to the roster, but teleport characters are gonna be a problem for him.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Yes smoke owns Kenshi, Smoke owns Mainly most of the roaster....a char that doesnt require skills to master nor active awareness and VERY rewarding in a stupid way , especially online.(srry to be rude)
Smoke vs kenshi is diffenatly smokes Favour....any char that can go Massive Offensive can own kenshi easily.
as for scorpion, it's an annoying match up for kenshi. though i believe it's a possible 5 - 5 due to a lot of reasons

so far chars that can easily own Kenshi: Kung, Lui, cage, Raiden, Smoke, Kabal, Shang ( a little tough, but unlike those other chars), Scorpion (annoying but i would say 5-5)
Any char that turtles or doesnt have good pressure/ frame traps/ tricks/ turtle nature...etc Kenshi can easily dominate

Jamison

Noob
Yes smoke owns Kenshi, Smoke owns Mainly most of the roaster....a char that doesnt require skills to master nor active awareness and VERY rewarding in a stupid way , especially online.(srry to be rude)
You must get beat by Smoke a lot.....

Sorry to tell you this but Smoke requires skill to play. His combos are easily blocked and his teleport is punishable by full combo. If you are not actively aware of your matchup and what they are capable of throwing out you lose. Just because someone plays Smoke, in NO way does that equal VERY rewarding win. I feel there is some bitterness because of matchup issues you personally have with Smoke, but don't insult the Smoke players out there that actually PLAY Smoke.

(sorry to be rude)