What's new

The Worst Match ups for Kenshi thread!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ok, well I didn't see a topic made on here yet concerning JUST Kenshi's bad match ups. This thread will be used exclusively for discussion of his hardest and worst match ups based on everyone's experience.

So far I like Kenshi, and I've fought against a few solid ones and believe from my personal experience from both sides that so far these are his worst:

-Scorpion, I've done pretty well with Scorp against Kenshis, his hellfire imo is a key element to defeating and making Kenshi come to you, then from there you have a few options such as snagging him with the spear, going in for attacks

-Sektor, as strange as it might sound Sektor can give Kenshi a hard time. Why do I say that? Well as a Sektor player, you can outzone Kenshi with missles then get in and do mix ups. Now, like NW he can reflect the upward missles but not back at you...the normal and seeking however can be reflected back at you, however a good tactic I've had success with is mixing up the straight with the upward and immediately doing a straight and if you're mid screen dash in and do his flames, you can also keep him zoned with the missles and dash in for Sektor's mix ups. I've also had some success doing this. If you're fast enough you can just buffer missles one right after the other, Kenshi can't reflect two at once or one right after the other afterall if you're fast enough with them.

-Smoke, I also use Smoke a little and noticed his smoke bombs seem to be a good trade off with Kenshi and he can't reflect it, that combined with his teleport tactics seem to make Smoke a worthy adversary for Kenshi imo.

Sub-Zero, ok I don't use him but I have noticed good Sub-Zero players doing pretty well against Kenshi, but out of fairness I was also in a room with lionheart and his sub is one of the best online, maybe I'm wrong here but I've just noticed solid subs trading freezes with Kenshi and doing good damage against him.

Any other characters you guys know of or feel is hard for Kenshi, feel free to post em and discuss!:D

Sindel and Sonya will eat you alive.

Sindel's air fireballs will not reflect back at her making them very safe for her to do unless you read it with a TKS. She will dominate you up close with her flip attack and a amazing speed. She can't be telefuryed because she will be throwing low fire balls which can be reflected but she recovers fast enough to throw another or block or jump and throw an air fireball. Too beat her you will have to play up close and punish blocked flips.

Sonya is a slut. Her fire ball recovers fast enough for her to block or jump or do her arc kick. She can halt everything you do up close with down 4 spam. She can perfectly close distance with a arc kick unless you predict and throw and premeditated TKS. And she can mix you up hard of course. Sonya is a tough bitch.

Skarlet is tough to just because she is so fast and everything she does is so safe unless you're jedi punishing

Why does Kenshi have so many girl troubles?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
When I was playing as Kenshi Sektor Scorpion and Noob gave me the most issues. Noob and Sektor because of ranged attacks. Scorpion because of hellfire and spear.

MKF30

I wonder how Jade would do against Kenshi with her invincible projectile moves, could she toss do that, throw her boomerangs and rush him down? Only played like literally 2 good Jade players Prayforme and Burninoni.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
No, if Jade gets her boomerang reflected (outside of maybe max range) she has to eat it thanks to the recovery. At the very least this only applies to the low.

You win against Sub if he plays too defensive. Tele-Flurry punishes ice clone and you can shut ice-ball down with it during his start-up on reaction. Sub can win it if he gets in, but closing in on Kenshi is difficult without a teleport.

Basically, anyone with a teleport can give Kenshi fits. Raiden is a bad matchup for obvious reasons between his teleport and superman making so much of your tools unsafe.

Smoke is an obnoxious fight. His telepunch is a huge problem and you can't do anything about smoke bomb. It can't be reflected and Tele-Flurry/Teleslash lose to it. That fireball can literally control this match. You get most of your damage here by baiting and punishing telepunch. If he goes after you, your :bp:fp~follow up is probably your best bet.

He has a problem with Cyber Sub-Zero too. Anyone who can close space and constantly cross him up is an awful matchup for Kenshi.

No, if Jade gets her boomerang reflected (outside of maybe max range) she has to eat it thanks to the recovery. At the very least this only applies to the low.

You win against Sub if he plays too defensive. Tele-Flurry punishes ice clone and you can shut ice-ball down with it during his start-up on reaction. Sub can win it if he gets in, but closing in on Kenshi is difficult without a teleport.

Basically, anyone with a teleport can give Kenshi fits. Raiden is a bad matchup for obvious reasons between his teleport and superman making so much of your tools unsafe.

Smoke is an obnoxious fight. His telepunch is a huge problem and you can't do anything about smoke bomb. It can't be reflected and Tele-Flurry/Teleslash lose to it. That fireball can literally control this match. You get most of your damage here by baiting and punishing telepunch. If he goes after you, your :bp:fp~follow up is probably your best bet.

He has a problem with Cyber Sub-Zero too. Anyone who can close space and constantly cross him up is an awful matchup for Kenshi.
I dunno, I've had a good amount of luck against raiden. Your charge will beat out the superman, and you can actually use it to punish teleports on reaction if you're quick enough.

Scorpion has not beat me once when I was Kenshi, but considering the amount of scrubs using him I'm not sure if I actually fought any good Scorpions. I noticed that tele-flurry has a faster startup than hellfire, so I can constantly spam that on scorpions trying to hang back and hellfire.

MKF30

Yeah, sadly most Scorp players are scrubs...I'm on xbox though otherwise I'd say let's play :) I can't speak for PSN, but on Xbox there's a ton of Scorp players, most of them suck outside of the following CRKfiend, oERESBISo, Squirrelpion and myself. On xbox anyway.

Raiden gives everyone trouble lol, so I'm not surprised at the dude who mentioned him.

And I agree, I didn't play Noob yet against him but I was watching Noob players other night against Milky Situation who imo has a tough Kenshi on xbox, I beat him with Scorp, others with Noob seemed to give him a hard time. I also saw lionheart give Kenshi a hard time with Stryker of all people believe it or not.

No, Kenshi is really good. I was stating my odds with Quan Chi but as I was playing online, they may have been scrubs and there's a bunch of other factors that go into it. Until we start seeing him in a tournament scene or someone gets some good playtesting going on with him, we won't have a good idea. But he's a solid character for sure.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Trance has huge range and is pretty fast, it makes it very difficult to zone Quan-Chi with Kenshi. It's wildly different at closer ranges. Quan-Chi probably has a harder time than anyone when he's cornered vs. Kenshi, though. It can just be a pain to get him there.

So basically I just bought a character for 5 bucks that has major problems against ALL characters???
Skarlet beats almost the entire cast 8-2 or 7-3. Her only bad matchups right now are Nightwolf, Smoke, Raiden and Kung Lao. So I don't know WTF your post is about.

You bought two characters for five bucks each that require you actually practice your technique.

MKF30

Skarlet also matches up bad against Ermac....she couldn't touch me, honestly her only GREAT move is her teleport, but it's not that hard to get around.

I definitely don't think Kenshi struggles against everyone in the game Luija.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
I have not been beaten by anyone using Kenshi. But at the same time, there have only been like 1 person who was semi decent with him. I feel kenshi is like ermac in a sense, if you stay in his area of distance he has advantage. Since I cant shake his attack at all unless thier physical. It comes to who can control the screen. Full screen he'll use that attack that goes fullscreen, smoke bomb trade wins 90 percent of the time. It's too early to see how good Kenshi is. This is just my opinion on players I've played (ONLINE) So lag and everything could be a factor.

Just to add, I haven't been getting many laggy games. Oh and I've been beaten by skarlet, but not enough to consider her OP in anysense. I wish MKF30 was on PSn =[

Like every player in this game, Kenshi and Skarlet have their worst match ups it's expected.

Luija1006

since 1995
Trance has huge range and is pretty fast, it makes it very difficult to zone Quan-Chi with Kenshi. It's wildly different at closer ranges. Quan-Chi probably has a harder time than anyone when he's cornered vs. Kenshi, though. It can just be a pain to get him there.

Skarlet beats almost the entire cast 8-2 or 7-3. Her only bad matchups right now are Nightwolf, Smoke, Raiden and Kung Lao. So I don't know WTF your post is about.

You bought two characters for five bucks each that require you actually practice your technique.
You REALLY don't know what my post is about. I am talking about KENSHI, not Skarlet. In this thread I am only reading "X completely destroys Kenshi" or "Kenshi has a really hard time against Y and Z". And no, I didn't buy Skarlet. I am worried for the character that cost me money, so I am starting to think those bucks were waste . I will wait for rain gameplay and review in this threads to be sure he is not trash. I am not getting cheated again. So much hype for Kenshi specials and reflect. I remember in the trailer they showed him reflecting a fireball and xraying instlantly as guaranteed (lol...). Now I will have to main a character whose combos are very tight in precision, specially online (and little reward in damage.. come on, 35% for a combo that only gets completed online like 3/10 times? 39% with jnp), his tele-flurry is an horrible trade for a zoning war and reflect does not works against any LOW projectile and Sindel high fireball (supposedly an easy match for Kenshi, but he gets destroyed in the opinion of one of the posters above) if I don't want my bucks to be a complete waste.

Note: All of this post is my Opinion.

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
You REALLY don't know what my post is about. I am talking about KENSHI, not Skarlet. In this thread I am only reading "X completely destroys Kenshi" or "Kenshi has a really hard time against Y and Z". And no, I didn't buy Skarlet. I am worried for the character that cost me money, so I am starting to think those bucks were waste . I will wait for rain gameplay and review in this threads to be sure he is not trash. I am not getting cheated again. So much hype for Kenshi specials and reflect. I remember in the trailer they showed him reflecting a fireball and xraying instlantly as guaranteed (lol...). Now I will have to main a character whose combos are very tight in precision, specially online (and little reward in damage.. come on, 35% for a combo that only gets completed online like 3/10 times? 39% with jnp), his tele-flurry is an horrible trade for a zoning war and reflect does not works against any LOW projectile and Sindel high fireball (supposedly an easy match for Kenshi, but he gets destroyed in the opinion of one of the posters above) if I don't want my bucks to be a complete waste.

Note: All of this post is my Opinion.
To clarify a few of points:
  • Kenshi's combos are extremely easy, even online. Unless the connection is unplayable, I find I seldom drop Kenshi's combos.
  • Last I checked, Kenshi can reflect some low fireballs.
  • Tele-flurry can be ducked. But, it can easily stuff most zoning attempts.
  • I think Kenshi has a few troublesome matchups, but I don't think any of them are unwinnable. Not to mention, any matchups I or anyone else has had trouble with could've been due to our personal approach to the match.

Ultimately, I feel the character needs a little more exposure before his bad matchups truly develop.
I understand your worry about wasting money. But, most of what's being discussed here is subjective. It's ultimately up to you to make the most of your purchase.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
xxvic1ousxx said:
I understand your worry about wasting money. But, most of what's being discussed here is subjective. It's ultimately up to you to make the most of your purchase.
There is nothing subjective about Kenshi being good because he is good. Some of the characters listed in this thread are not even bad match ups. Inability to play and online lag do not translate to bad match ups. Aside from combos and ease of use, Kenshi is better than Ermac whom many consider to be a top tier character. Kenshi could be one of the best characters in the game, but it is too early to tell. What players do know is that he can zone with his far range telekinetic moves, rush with f+2,2,b+1 which is +1 on block, and counter most projectiles with the Blade Reflect. His defense is good too, but he has some issues with cross ups. Hard / bad match ups will probably include the usual suspects of Kung Lao and Reptile somewhere down the line because these two can overcome zoning and apply pressure with their strings and build a lot of meter.

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
It means you're at a 1 frame advantage after the move is blocked.

There is nothing subjective about Kenshi being good because he is good. Some of the characters listed in this thread are not even bad match ups. Inability to play and online lag do not translate to bad match ups. Aside from combos and ease of use, Kenshi is better than Ermac whom many consider to be a top tier character. Kenshi could be one of the best characters in the game, but it is too early to tell. What players do know is that he can zone with his far range telekinetic moves, rush with f+2,2,b+1 which is +1 on block, and counter most projectiles with the Blade Reflect. His defense is good too, but he has some issues with cross ups. Hard / bad match ups will probably include the usual suspects of Kung Lao and Reptile somewhere down the line because these two can overcome zoning and apply pressure with their strings and build a lot of meter.
That's not what I was referring to. This thread is about Kenshi's bad matchups, right? Kenshi's been out for a few days, so there's no way we've all got him completely figured out. Most of the opinions here are on his bad matchups are subjective, and likely a result of the player's personal approach.

If a player is having trouble with Sindel right now, does that mean Sindel is a bad matchup? No, of course not. It's possible that once his metagame has matured, this matchup could be completely in his favor. Not saying that it will be, just that a few days of experience seems too early to say definitively.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
sindel is a tough match up for him i believe. she doesnt have to worry about him being about to teleport in her face (or reptile dash), her IAF's come out faster then all of his specials forcing him to dash into her where she then is able to use her :eh low fireball and step up mix ups to keep him away. then face to face its even. IAF reflects arent an issue since it reflects fast there are points in the air she can still do a fireball while a fireball is being reflected back at her unlike vs nightwolf where it reflects slower (not sure if im explaining it correctly)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
DanCock said:
sindel is a tough match up for him i believe. she doesnt have to worry about him being about to teleport in her face (or reptile dash), her IAF's come out faster then all of his specials forcing him to dash into her where she then is able to use her :eh low fireball and step up mix ups to keep him away. then face to face its even. IAF reflects arent an issue since it reflects fast there are points in the air she can still do a fireball while a fireball is being reflected back at her unlike vs nightwolf where it reflects slower (not sure if im explaining it correctly)
There is a glitch with the Blade Reflect. If Kenshi reflects a fireball and holds forward, all immediate fireballs get reflected too, so you cannot spam instant aerial fireballs on him. The Blade Reflect has a smaller "reflect" window than Nightwolf's Reflect does, but Kenshi's version is safer when whiffed. Besides, the slashes have a thick hitbox and do 10% of damage. Sindel's regular fireballs all do 8% of damage. So, Kenshi wins all trades.

Kenshi kills Sindel up close. Unless Sindel has X-Ray, she has to block f+2,2,b+2, Spirit Charge every time. The Spirit Charge cannot be interrupted or jumped out of. Once the player is trained to block the Spirit Charges, Kenshi can repeat f+2,2,b+2 and build a lot of meter. Kenshi also has a better AA and wake up game. I doubt it is even up close. Sindel has to block Spirit Charges after blocked Step Up Kicks too. She cannot jump away.

Add my cousin. The name is HawaiianDrink. He has already played like half a thousand matches with Kenshi off-line.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
LOL he can hold forward and reflect everything, now thats funny..
upclose ~ his stuff comes out at like sindel speed (???) so cant some one just poke him before f+2 comes out? clearly i only played twice this week so im not 100% on stuff. the thing with the reflect is that it repeals the fireball so fast i can actually iaf another under her own reflected fireball, but yea with the glitch that wont help. the slashes im guessing is the 3 special? she can high in the air fireball and wont get touched by his "3" button special and the special with 4 if she flight~IAF's her fireball comes out faster preventing a trade off so she doesnt have to worry about trading attacks she avoids them completely.

but yea idk for sure so ill take your word on it.