What's new

The TYM Ultra-Mega Hitbox Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Same here. I took one look and I was all :eek: "How the hell are you gonna have the jump button all the way down there??"
The people I complain about it to tell me that "you get used to it"... well, I would get used to walking on my hands if I had to do that but why? WHY? lol

Wow, thanks a lot. I own a 360 and I've looked at the xim3. It's too expensive :\. It'd be cheaper for me to just take apart a 360 controller and an old keyboard, or build a hitbox with directional inputs on the left with a keyboard layout.
You can also try the xfps but I heard that they are not as reliable since xim3 allows you to download patches. But whatever you do , good luck with it. Hope to see the final product.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Probably because that person, like me, is more used to using the arrow keys for directional inputs.
I started out with those when I first went to keyboard... but I had a good 10 years of arcade experience behind me yelling at me to use my left hand for movement so I had to change to the WSAD configuration. It was a wise choice.

So I started taking apart a keyboard and planning out how I'd go about making what I wanted, and it turns out any way I look at it, it would be complicated and could cause a lot of problems. What makes it worse is that I don't have a guide to do it since none has been written. I also don't have much experience with hardware, especially at this level. So I decided that I'll just make a hitbox with a keyboard-like layout. It'll be more expensive, but well under $80, and it'll be much easier.

I'll return to this project someday though. Also, if someone could help me get me to get my keyboard into a sort of hitbox, I'll seriously appreciate it!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just want a normal button layout for MK with the WSAD layout for directions not that shit layout that the hitbox is...
with the size of the even the smaller buttons, the WASD layout becomes very tiresome on the fingers. Using the thumb for up is weird but really helpful in that sense. I have been trying to get a full on custom keyboard layout designed for Battousai for quite some time. Also dreemernj is a keyboard user along with lilhustlachris92 and AC1984 is a recovering keyboard user. There are others from other FGCs as well.

nwo

Noob
When using an arcade stick, I realized that pretty much neither hand ever gets tired, if anything your right (button hand) gets tired first, which is the opposite if you were using a pad (my left d-pad thumb always got worn out first) and the arcades could rake in more money that way?

Just a theory I had.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
When using an arcade stick, I realized that pretty much neither hand ever gets tired, if anything your right (button hand) gets tired first, which is the opposite if you were using a pad (my left d-pad thumb always got worn out first) and the arcades could rake in more money that way?

Just a theory I had.

If your hands get tired from playing you need to play more!

dreemernj

Ambassador
If you want to take an existing keyboard and modify it into a keybox or something, I am guessing you'll need something with mechanical keys that can be wired up to the contacts on a controller. Cheap keyboards can't really be modified for anything like this. But, if there is a converter that works, you should be able to use anything. If it is a USB one, I would guess the problems that could come up would be the polling rate. And if it is a cheap keyboard, blocking and ghosting. A PS/2 adapter with PS/2 keyboard would be ideal since the keyboard would be sending button presses and releases as they happen as opposed to being polled for key states. But I don't think console controllers work this way so I doubt a PS/2 to Console converter would capture presses effectively.

Cheap keyboards are keys sitting on rubber domes over 3 sheets of plastic. The top sheet has conductive strips going to all the keys. The middle sheet is just plastic and has holes punched where the buttons are, it acts as a spacer. The bottom sheet also has conductive strips going to all the keys. When you press a button it pushes the top sheet through a hole in the middle sheet so that it makes contact with the bottom sheet. I once messed with wiring one of these up to a PSX controller by tracing the paths on the sheets, isolating all the unused buttons, then stapling through the sheets, then wiring up to the staples. It worked, but was unreliable and very easy to break.

Good keyboards have mechanical key switches. I think an ideal keybox would be good switches wired up to something that plugs directly into a console. The Cherry keyswitches are built to pop into a properly cut metal sheet. In theory someone could cut a sheet of metal, snap the keys in, and mount the metal sheet on a box. Then, wiring the buttons up would be as easy to wiring up the buttons of a normal arcade stick. Unfortunately I've never gotten around to figuring out how to get one of those sheets cut. Someone with the know-how could probably do it really easily.

Goldi

Noob
So, I'm a hitbox player and my trouble is the diagonal inputs. They don't really come up in MK, but Virtua Fighter - and possibly soon to be in Injustice. Like, quarter motions, down, back, up 3 are very strange. Let me show you;

image.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with hitbox (well, this one at least) the white buttons are my directions. My ring finger is on back, middle on down, pointer forward and the large white button is used by the thumb of my other hand for up/jump. I'm sure you can see how the jump button location makes some inputs ... Difficult to put it mildly lol.

Anyone have any tips? Is there a button layout you think could make it less awkward? Will I adjust, or should I consider a new controller for certain games? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
They have input settings for us hitbox users so you don't have to put in diagonals - just like mk 9.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I cant post the video because the button wont work, but hope this helps!

That channel has everything you could need, and more!

EDIT; nvm it worked :)

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
i got my self a selfmade hitbox so i know what you mean about diagonals, my best advice is to play KOFXIII and do missions any character missions and they will help you with un-mk inputs

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I was actually thinking about this last weekend, I personally prefer and stay with using a stick, but I had a chance to mess with a hitbox recently and all I could think was, how in the hell do you play SF with this thing. Its perfect for a game like MK but others I just don't see it.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
This is one area where I think regular sticks have an advantage over Hitbox, depending on hiw finicky the game is. If it will let you, you can just press down, then forward while still holding down (which would be diagonal down-forward). Some games seem to treat that as pressing down, diagonal, forward. For the finicky games that require a clean input, you've got no choice but to press down, forward, release down, and press your attack button.

A great way to burn that press and release into your muscle memory is to do it slowly and repetitively while not actually playing the game. Anchor your thumb comfortably (I like to keep mine curled up under the palm of my hand, just below the directional buttons), and just watch a movie or tv show while slowly, comfortably, and intentionally inputting down (hold), forward (hold), release down, release forward. It's just like learning piano or guitar or anything else that requires precise muscle memory. You want to be as relaxed as possible.

Eventually, you should be able to just press down-foward and release down a split second before your attack input without really thinking about it.

[Edit]: I honestly think a lot of games will let you cheat and count down/forward as a quarter-circle. I don't know which ones specifically, but I've honestly never hard an issue playing any Capcom game. Try doing a few quarter-circle moves without thinking about how awkward or difficult the motion is; just middle-white, right-white, attack and see if the move comes out. Hopefully it's just a mental block holding you back.

Justice

Noob
I don't know if it's a firmware update or if it's always been like this (I only got my HitBox about a month ago or so) but for "sweeping motions" like quarter circle and half circle inputs you don't need to input the diagonals. Sometimes it will happen anyway if you are trying to input your moves too fast but it's all good.

The way I do it is:

I assign each button a number like:

Back = 1
Down = 2
Forward = 3
Up = 4

Then I write a "notation" for what it is I'm trying to do. For example, Sonya's Kartwheel would be 2,3, FK.

After this, I go into the lab and very slowly (so slow that the move doesn't come out) tap out 2,3. I will also use my right hand to tap out a rythm. The goal here is to have a steady rythm and to train your hand to get used to the input so that eventually you won't have to think about it. That is the reason for starting so slow. It's all about the accuracy. The speed will come naturally the more comfortable and "confident" your hand becomes with the motion.

Once you feel comfortable with the motion, start speeding it up little by little. As soon as you drop an input, slow it back down a tad and continue.

Another way of thinking about it is basically the same but instead of using numbers, use your fingers. So as an example, the notation for the left hand inputs for Sonya's D4 MS F1 (on the P1 side) would be:

Middle Finger (MF), Ring Finger (RF), Index Finger (IF)

Then go into the the lab and practice just doing 2, 1, 3 (MF, RF, IF) over and over.

I have used this technique for MK, Skullgirls and SFxT and it works in all of those games.

One thing I noticed in your picture is that you tuck your left thumb under your hand. It is better if you don't. The default hand postitioning that they teach is to have both thumbs over the Up button and it's a good thing. I personally use my left thumb exclusively for jumping, but as some of their vids show, sometimes it's not a bad idea for the right thumb to have access to the Up button as well.

Hope this helps :D

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I think a good approach for practice out side of actually using the hitbox is to play Stepmania or FFR, games that are dance dance revolution, but on a keyboard. If you put some time into it you should see a dramatic increase in finger speed and accuracy.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die

That channel has everything you could need, and more!
These videos helped me learn. Also playing multiple games on the hitbox has made everything completely hardwired in my muscle memory. Just playing mk did a lot, then going back and playing sf4 made me more comfortable with it, then playing soul calibur, then tekken. Basically I try to learn a basic knowledge of most of the fighting games that come out. Every different game I learn on the hitbox I feel helps my hitbox fluency. I even played tony hawk hd on hitbox which is super fun btw. I played the ninja turtles arcade hd on my hitbox too.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Komatose

The Prettiest
Diagonal inputs aren't a problem for me since I play SF as well and I must Cannon Spike my way to the top, but like others have said, there will be options for us Hit Box users.