What's new

"The truth about E-Cigs...?"

Should E-Cigs be banned in public places?

• Yes

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
It may sound so simple after the fact, but seriously: Trying new things is what gives variety to life. But if you 'try' anything addictive, did you not ask yourself before hand: "What's the worst that could happen?"

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I was referring to the ridiculous tax percentages of alcohol and tobacco. Either way, if it continues to be a successful business it will get taxed through the roof.
The taxation of alcohol and tobacco was a way to gain extra revenue under the guise deterring the population from using the products. The producers and the gov. knew full well people would still buy the products due to the addictive nature of it.

Reactions: TKB

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Also, most people aren't smart enough to do their own research. Lets be serious about that.
It's true that the average person thinks they're smarter than the average person. I tend to have faith in the intelligence of the human race though I think we have all been idiots in some way at some time. I just can't accept that so many people are just dumb and that's the end of it. We all have potential.

People are busy in their daily lives. People trust what they hear from news sources and etc and don't really have the time to question anything because of what they need to do to live.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
@Vagrant

I just don't like breathing the smoke in because that's my prerogative. Smoking is nasty for those who do it and those around it. E cigs still irritate my eyes and smell weird. I tried it in e and it left a weird taste in my mouth. I would prefer for them to be banned. This info will keep popping up. If you want to use them go ahead but I will always ask people not to do it around me because that's how I feel.
I think it's totally reasonable to not want people to smoke around you but I don't see how they can be banned considering cigarettes aren't.

Justice

Noob
Step one: If you've never smoked, don't.
Step two: If you do, you've made one of the worst decisions of your life, and it's a 50/50 chance of you kicking the habit or dying as a result of it. You're in the nicotine vortex.
George Burns lived until he was 92 and I think that dood slept with a lit stogie in his mouth.

My own dentist and doctor told me that smoking doesn't directly cause death. What it DOES do is it acts like steroids for whatever else is going on. If you die of smoking related cancer, you either already had cancer or were pre-determined to get it BUT smoking makes it more aggressive. More facts that the truth commission don't want you to know.

Not saying smoking is healthy, it's not. Smoking is stoopid and stinky and does things like make it take longer to heal from injuries, line your lungs with tar making it more difficult to breathe, and forces you to wash the wall in your house/apartment more often. I do agree with step 1 here. If you're like me and on step two, consider quitting since doctors will tell you that much of the effects of smoking on your body are reversible over time.

Let's get healthy FGC! :D

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
George Burns lived until he was 92 and I think that dood slept with a lit stogie in his mouth.

My own dentist and doctor told me that smoking doesn't directly cause death. What it DOES do is it acts like steroids for whatever else is going on. If you die of smoking related cancer, you either already had cancer or were pre-determined to get it BUT smoking makes it more aggressive. More facts that the truth commission don't want you to know.

Not saying smoking is healthy, it's not. Smoking is stoopid and stinky and does things like make it take longer to heal from injuries, line your lungs with tar making it more difficult to breathe, and forces you to wash the wall in your house/apartment more often. I do agree with step 1 here. If you're like me and on step two, consider quitting since doctors will tell you that much of the effects of smoking on your body are reversible over time.

Some people are 80 and smoke everyday. Some people never smoked a day in their life but have a hole in their neck at age 44 due to second hand smoke. Logically, there's no benefit from smoking. Obviously it's an addictive substance, and so quitting for some people is easier said than done. So just don't start.

TheSpore

Yeh I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have no business smoking and been doing it nearly 10 years, all this talk about quiting is seriously getting me thinking.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The thing about this video and the carcinogens they found...is that they don't say HOW MUCH of the carcinogens they found in an e-cig, and whether or not it was done in an enclosed room with a number of people smoking it.

Also, e-cigs have non-nicotine variants. Steamco has a bunch of e-liquid that has no nicotine in it. So are e-cigs as addictive as one would say? Also, this bit of knowledge was never ever brought up in one of the discoveries of e-cigs having a much higher rate of nicotine poisoning due to liquid nicotine being much more dangerous.

I wouldn't trust this video. There's a lot missing that should've been mentioned.

Justice

Noob
Some people are 80 and smoke everyday. Some people never smoked a day in their life but have a hole in their neck at age 44 due to second hand smoke. Logically, there's no benefit from smoking. Obviously it's an addictive substance, and so quitting for some people is easier said than done. So just don't start.
Exactly my point. You're basically playing chicken with your physiology by smoking. So don't. And this is coming from a "heavy smoker".

TKB

Noob
Out of curiosity, does the tobacco tax percentage include electronic cigarettes? Meaning, is it being taxed to hell? If not and the popularity continues to grow, I can see it happening.
Last I read, e-cigs are not taxed and regulated by the government.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This thing reminded me of Anchorman 2

"People don't want to hear what actually is happening, so let's just tell them what they WANT to hear"

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
The thing about this video and the carcinogens they found...is that they don't say HOW MUCH of the carcinogens they found in an e-cig, and whether or not it was done in an enclosed room with a number of people smoking it.

Also, e-cigs have non-nicotine variants. Steamco has a bunch of e-liquid that has no nicotine in it. So are e-cigs as addictive as one would say? Also, this bit of knowledge was never ever brought up in one of the discoveries of e-cigs having a much higher rate of nicotine poisoning due to liquid nicotine being much more dangerous.

I wouldn't trust this video. There's a lot missing that should've been mentioned.
The concentrated form of nicotine in the vape liquid is seriously rough stuff to get into contact with. If you get it on your skin it works like a super-powered nicotine patch and makes you queasy and ill (like you have just chain smoked 3 packs in 10 minutes) and is really dangerous. Getting it directly into your mouth/eyes/blood stream can be fatal. Nicotine itself isnt the problem there though, coming into contact with it in that form can be avoided by taking more care or precautions when handling it, i just think more people should be fed that information...
Nicotine is addictive because it replaces the naturally produced nicotine in your body, so your body gets slack on producing it, so its not really that dangerous to our bodys, just addicting.. The danger isn't really in inhaling the nicotine either, but the by-products and stuff they add to it which could have harmful effects in the long run which they just havent had the time or ability to test at this stage in the products life.

No-Nicotine variants should be banned, it makes smoking attractive to non-smokers and can be a major influence on younger people starting the real thing. I dont judge non-smokers for taking up vaping, we all know how trends and crazes work, its not known to be harmful and its got no nicotine so is not addictive. The problem is that people who have never smoked a cigarette can now experience the sensation of it and will no doubt be more likely to try it, which they should in no way promote.

TheSpore

Exactly my point. You're basically playing chicken with your physiology by smoking. So don't. And this is coming from a "heavy smoker".
I'm a heavy smoker as well and, it has affected several things, for one the wife is sick of it, she quit years ago and now hates the smell, my kids have from time to time tried to emulate my behavior, like my 4 year old one time grabbed my pack and told her mother "I'm going to have a smoke". It definitely hurts the bank account, just by judging my smoking habit alone I smoke Marlboro Blacks, which are about 40 bucks a carton at the local store I buy from this can equal about $80 for one month, which is about $960 p/year. As for medical effects well My teeth now need a regular cleaning and turn yellow real easily, I do tend to be short of breath a lot faster now, and again can't be too good on the fact I am diabetic. I never smoke inside my home or inside even places where its allowed, I rather not clean nicotine stains off my walls every week.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I'm a heavy smoker as well and, it has affected several things, for one the wife is sick of it, she quit years ago and now hates the smell, my kids have from time to time tried to emulate my behavior, like my 4 year old one time grabbed my pack and told her mother "I'm going to have a smoke". It definitely hurts the bank account, just by judging my smoking habit alone I smoke Marlboro Blacks, which are about 40 bucks a carton at the local store I buy from this can equal about $80 for one month, which is about $960 p/year. As for medical effects well My teeth now need a regular cleaning and turn yellow real easily, I do tend to be short of breath a lot faster now, and again can't be too good on the fact I am diabetic. I never smoke inside my home or inside even places where its allowed, I rather not clean nicotine stains off my walls every week.
What we see here is that you know the risks and are aware of the problems you cause yourself by being a smoker.

What a lot of people who vape dont seem to care about or understand is that its a fresh product and the risks arent fully known to people, and their convenience of smoking in "non smoking" places like bars and restaurants is causing un-necessary risk to people who DO care about their health and dont want to come into contact with it. Even to me as a smoker and have tried vaping, doing it indoors is good and convenient after going outside to smoke for years, but its really imposing on the people around you who have been used to a smoke free environment for equal years.

The major thing i see is that its not regulated, so anyone can sell anything and with a risky product involving direct contact and consumption of chemicals, thats a huge problem. Also being marketed to people in a pro-smoking way is a massive setback for the industry. While cigarettes and nicotine has been off the tv/radio for years and tobacco companies are not allowed to advertise their products any more, these new vaping companies are selling it to smokers as well as the public without knowing the risk. Its history repeating itself ...

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I kicked nicotine addiction by switching to caffeine and then weaning down coffee intake. Didn't have the luxury of a "safe alternative" either as I dipped snuff. As far as the banning goes, I think more research is required and SteveSupremo puts it into a more appropriate context.