What's new

The RoboCop Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I hope they adjust the hitbox on the final hit of 121 so it stops whiffing on airborne opponents. His fist passes right through them, so no reason it should whiff.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that RoboCop's u2 is 100% useless.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So does Sindel just totally shit on him, then? I can't see him contesting her normals, especially the spear and f4.
I have to play the match up so I am not sure. He can safely check f+4,u+3 with low auto which very few characters can do and she cannot low profile with low fireball under this circumstance as long as you perform the low auto fast enough.

You can parry f+2, but of course b+2 and EX scream, which also results in a krushing blow, will punish you.

I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that RoboCop's u2 is 100% useless.
Correct. He has Kitana's old u+2. LOL. My opponents have begun neutral jumping on my wake up and I have been struggling.

Something about the character feels off to me. I am not exerting the same control of space with V2 Robocop that I am with V2 Kitana. I assume so because she has razors, which is essentially a flamethrower that can also be used in block strings, an aerial projectile, a teleport, a small hitbox, a low poke that low profiles, a superior reversal u+2 etc. etc. Nonetheless, I will keep experimenting and using him.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I am really surprised that the majority of people seems to pick var 2 over var 1. While lowshot is good, pretty much everything else seems better in var 1. Most of all the mindgames with 121 (after a hitconfirmed forward-walking-gunshot). Also I like the rifle way more than the rocket.

He does have problems getting in, but his counterzoning is good enough. Var 1 is quite reactive for sure. However I still think that it is his best variation in the hands of a good player (which I am surely not right now :) ).

Besides Var 1 is definitly better against the likes of Jade, who can entirely shut down zoning.

Var 1 propably loses to var 2 though... :)

But maybe there is something that I miss... ?! Do I underestimate the shield?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am really surprised that the majority of people seems to pick var 2 over var 1. While lowshot is good, pretty much everything else seems better in var 1. Most of all the mindgames with 121 (after a hitconfirmed forward-walking-gunshot). Also I like the rifle way more than the rocket.

He does have problems getting in, but his counterzoning is good enough. Var 1 is quite reactive for sure. However I still think that it is his best variation in the hands of a good player (which I am surely not right now :) ).

Besides Var 1 is definitly better against the likes of Jade, who can entirely shut down zoning.

Var 1 propably loses to var 2 though... :)

But maybe there is something that I miss... ?! Do I underestimate the shield?
If the command grab resulted in any kind of oki potential then it could be a very effective variation. But everytime you successfully mix your opponent and land the grab, you send them almost full screen and now have to work your way back in, depending on the matchup. It's also a bit redundant since he has the KB on both his normal throws. You're incentivized to use his normal throws to load his KB.

The rocket is an amazing tool. The Cobra Cannon is easy to flawless block, and if it is, the opponent takes almost zero chip from the entire attack, wasting your meter. The Rocket functions as an anti-air and can be amplified to keep you plus after your strings. It only does 1% or 2% less damage (comparing the normal and amp versions of each). It can also be delayed, making it more difficult to flawless block or avoid.

His inability to fire multiple Auto 9 shots is also a hindrance, since the amplified version of Low Auto-9 is essentially a ranged mixup. If you have meter, the opponent has to respect the possibility that you'll amplify for additional shots. V1 doesn't have that option.

It's not a total lost cause, for sure, but its few strengths don't offset the lack of the Riot Shield, Up Auto-9, and mid-hitting multi-shot projectile.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If the command grab resulted in any kind of oki potential then it could be a very effective variation. But everytime you successfully mix your opponent and land the grab, you send them almost full screen and now have to work your way back in, depending on the matchup. It's also a bit redundant since he has the KB on both his normal throws. You're incentivized to use his normal throws to load his KB.

The rocket is an amazing tool. The Cobra Cannon is easy to flawless block, and if it is, the opponent takes almost zero chip from the entire attack, wasting your meter. The Rocket functions as an anti-air and can be amplified to keep you plus after your strings. It only does 1% or 2% less damage (comparing the normal and amp versions of each). It can also be delayed, making it more difficult to flawless block or avoid.

His inability to fire multiple Auto 9 shots is also a hindrance, since the amplified version of Low Auto-9 is essentially a ranged mixup. If you have meter, the opponent has to respect the possibility that you'll amplify for additional shots. V1 doesn't have that option.

It's not a total lost cause, for sure, but its few strengths don't offset the lack of the Riot Shield, Up Auto-9, and mid-hitting projectile.
I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, against a character like Jade, V1 may still be the best option. Jade usually struggles against characters who ignore the glow and/or who have a much higher damage output than she does, and Robocop has neither. LOL.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, against a character like Jade, V1 may still be the best option. Jade usually struggles against characters who ignore the glow and/or who have a much higher damage output than she does, and Robocop has neither. LOL.
If he can get the life lead, he can force her to come to him. Check out 57:39 of this video. Even though I messed it up, between short hopping her low projectiles and Riot Shielding everything else, she can't actually zone him out. And thanks to his walk and dash speeds, it's not too tough to walk her into the corner where you can mix her pretty well, and even out-damage her.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If he can get the life lead, he can force her to come to him. Check out 57:39 of this video. Even though I messed it up, between short hopping her low projectiles and Riot Shielding everything else, she can't actually zone him out. And thanks to his walk and dash speeds, it's not too tough to walk her into the corner where you can mix her pretty well, and even out-damage her.
I understand now.

Good idea as far as using more rockets instead of low autos full screen away in order to snipe the start up frames of the glow.

I do love Robocop's movement. Arguably the next best thing to low auto.

Are you on PSN? Perhaps we could play sometimes. NOT the mirror. LOL. I would use Kitana. I could also use V2 Robocop on your secondaries if you need experience in a certain match up.

Edit: V2 Robocop (Kombat) vs. V3 Robocop (Sonic Fox)

Last edited:
I thought the centrion match up would be hard but, for her air projectile we can check her with wrist rocket, and can punish her on block with echnanced bf2 at certain ranges, her teleport can also be punished if she does the close one with 121 bf2. Not sure if shield can negate rocks being thrown or not but that might be interesting.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Not sure if shield can negate rocks being thrown or not but that might be interesting.
I was labbing this match up yesterday. Shield negates all of Cetrion's projectiles, even the wall, except the vine grab, which you can punish anywhere on the screen with low auto on block. Attempting to out-zone a high level Cetrion player could prove challenging because of the close teleport.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I understand now.

Good idea as far as using more rockets instead of low autos full screen away in order to snipe the start up frames of the glow.

I do love Robocop's movement. Arguably the next best thing to low auto.

Are you on PSN? Perhaps we could play sometimes. NOT the mirror. LOL. I would use Kitana. I could also use V2 Robocop on your secondaries if you need experience in a certain match up.

Edit: V2 Robocop (Kombat) vs. V3 Robocop (Sonic Fox)

Unfortunately I'm only on PC.

Dante

Noob
Any tips for the Shang V3 matchup?

people have started to just counter pick with him lately and it’s been seeming impossible.
Stay out of trouble.

Lol, basically still play the mid/far screen game with low auto9 as he only has his skull projectiles. When you get the KD meaty with shoulder bombs for extra cheap. Ex shoulder bomb when he doesnt wanna do anything, and approach with safety

Btw i love f21 ex wrist cannon blocked into f42 :O

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter

people have started to just counter pick with him lately and it’s been seeming impossible.
Yeah, he counters a lot of our tools and it can be tough to contest his superior normals. You can see me play my first match against a v3 Shang at the 32-minute mark of this video. I was just kind of figuring it out as I went, but after playing and reviewing the footage, here are my thoughts:
  • As RoboCop players, we're going to have to learn Shang's frame data and gaps and practice blwoing them up. I couldn't seem to flawless the gap before his +4 f424 string, so later that day I went into the lab and mastered it. Same with his low into the hop attack. We've gotta blow that shit up to limit his offense.
  • It's tight, but we should be able to punish straight skulls with low shot on reaction. And we should be able to punish blocked Lift with low shot as a reversal. We might even be able to punish with Wrist Rocket.
  • If they keep using Shake, then play defensively, and every time they throw it out, use your awesome wavedash to get in on them and try to tag them with a f21. If it hits, finish the f212 string for the KB. If it's blocked or you've used the KB, cancel into amplified Wrist Rocket.
  • Once you get a knockdown, milk it for everything you can. Hover outside his wakeup range and check him with b4, b32, walk/dash throw, walk/dash f21, walk/dash f32.
While Shang is a problem, I think Emerald Defender Jade is a bigger problem. If you skip to 57:39 of that same video, you can see me avoiding her zoning. Again, I'm just making it up as I go, so I do a pretty bad job, but with some practice it should be no problem.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master

I was playing Wound Cowboy's V1 and V2 Shang Tsung until 4AM last night (about 80+ games!) and I learned a lot.

I would generally do what Robocop suggests against V3. Use your forward movement to threaten to punish the shake in which case the Shang player is likely to release the shake giving you an opportunity to use low auto. If the Shang player tends to hold the shake longer, drop an EX bomb, which cannot be parried by the shake. You can punish shake with low auto if you can predict when the Shang player will release it. React and take advantage of low auto's krushing blow against skulls. Do not allow the Shang player to zone you.

In order to fight V1 Shang effectively, use rockets to trade with corpse drops. The trade is even at 9%, but you earn a full screen knockdown and okizeme. Toss a very far bomb, which if blocked, causes low auto to become uninterruptible by corpse drop. Use this frame trap to toss more very far bombs and force the Shang player to react and close the gap. Do not use rockets within ground eruption range as you can be whiff punished. There is also a chance that f+4 can evade rockets by crouching under them.

I feel as though V1 Shang could be 6:4 and V3 Shang 5:5. In my opinion, Shang is hampered by his throw game in this match up. He has no krushing blows on either throw and both throws almost provide full screen positioning, which is where Robocop wants to be. In contrast, Robocop has krushing blows on both throws and full screen position. Because of the short range, Shang's fatal blow is also difficult to use while Robocop's is easy. So Robocop has superior comeback potential. Finally, Shang cannot punish the last hit of f+2,1,2 with flawless block. Both u+2 and u+3 whiff.

Dante

Noob
Agree with you guys, but be careful on using f21 ex wrist rocket on shang as he has a very easy time punishing with b3u4.
Also I had my low auto evaded by his f242 last hit. I cried a little.

I found out that Robocops brutality where he shoots the guy in the dick is changed up if you perform it on a girl. Instead he re aims it for a headshot.

Strange decision imo, because he has no problem shooting a girls genital with the low shot KB and his second fatality.

Agilaz

It has begun
Not tech related, but has anybody else been running into a game crash when trying to do tower 3 of the Robocop Trial? Not his character towers, the one that's up till tomorrow.

Its the tag fight. Every time the fight is about to load the game just crashes...on ps4 too