What's new

The RoboCop Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I have been testing the bombs in V2 because people found limited use. Bombs provide more chip damage than low auto (i.e., 21.25 vs. 17.50) and more frame advantage on block. Low auto is always -5 full screen away while very far bomb is +8 . The following are some full screen zoning patterns.

- EX low auto (connects) -> very far bomb (can be jumped, but another low auto will hit)

- EX low auto (connects) -> very far bomb (blocked) -> far bomb (checks forward dashes, in which case it is +4 on block, and also anti-airs a forward jump)

Been playing v1 and v2 the past two days.

Overall he’s just ok. Definitely the worst of the 3 dlcs.

Unfortunately gonna end up sticking with cetrion, joker and sindel.
V2 Robocop could potentially be top tier depending on how he performs against other strong zoning and anti-zoning characters. It does suck that bomb counts as projectile and not a physical hit like Shang Tsung's corpse drop.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have been testing the bombs in V2 because people found limited use. Bombs provide more chip damage than low auto (i.e., 21.25 vs. 17.50) and more frame advantage on block. Low auto is always -5 full screen away while very far bomb is +8 . The following are some full screen zoning patterns.

- EX low auto (connects) -> very far bomb (can be jumped, but another low auto will hit)

- EX low auto (connects) -> very far bomb (blocked) -> far bomb (checks forward dashes, in which case it is +4 on block, and also anti-airs a forward jump)

V2 Robocop could potentially be top tier depending on how he performs against other strong zoning and anti-zoning characters. It does suck that bomb counts as projectile and not a physical hit like Shang Tsung's corpse drop.
I just added a gif to my previous post showing Sonicfox trying to use a gas setup. Any thoughts about that? I think that was an ideal setup and still no payoff.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
V2 Robocop could potentially be top tier
This. His zoning is strong enough but you factor in his movement, mids, KBs etc and his strength is apparent. You can loop zoning patterns, but then you start making reads on their approaches and you can be there with the right option. They wanted him to be this good.

My aversion to playing top tier is stoked hard here

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hmm, I was playing @Mikemetroid last night and the 2nd hit of 121 was whiffing on his crouch block, but I can't get that to replicate in practice mode.

[Edit] Never mind, it will whiff unless the string is used direct adjacent to JC.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I just added a gif to my previous post showing Sonicfox trying to use a gas setup. Any thoughts about that? I think that was an ideal setup and still no payoff.
I have messed around with V3 the least. I am not sure why b+2 failed to connect. The gas grenade is supposed to function like a guard break if the opponent blocks for too long, right?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I have messed around with V3 the least. I am not sure why b+2 failed to connect. The gas grenade is supposed to function like a guard break if the opponent blocks for too long, right?
Correct, but there seems to be some restrictions added to limit its usefullness. It seems that if the opponent is in any kind of blockstun when the gas stun takes effect, they don't actually get stunned.

You have to land the gas grenade and keep the opponent there without blockstunning them..? wow.

This is release day Frost-Byte levels of careful. And after a year? That one's still not good.

Gaxkang

Banned
Hadn't played this game for a long while before Aftermath came out. First thing i did was try out Robocop, now that i gave him up and went for Spawn it really makes me wonder why would anyone want to play RC instead of him/some of the other cast. He doesn't have anything going for him that someone else doesn't already do better.
It's been my feeling too that playing Robo that one will be working harder to do things other characters do easier. Like, one could go play Jade and have an easier time, and do more damage maybe heh. I fought a Nightwolf and Robo felt outclassed. And yeah I think Spawn is easier and better.
They sure nailed Robo's character...but gah.

Trying out PVP his command grab hasn't jived with me, so I'm gonna get his shield back and try out his air attack...but from using as a hop. To move around more, and maybe try to skip neutral. Anything to try to get some of the MK tropes other characters naturally got.
Be nice if his air attack had an amplify...for like extra damage and shooting people into corners.
Kasual fights, btw.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just finished playing a long set against @Gooberking, around 40 games or so. Mostly v2 RoboCop vs her directable stomp variation, with a few matches against Kitana near the end. Here are a few lessons I learned during the set, some general, some specific to the matchup:
  • If RoboCop's b4 has more range than the opponent's wakeup, it becomes very difficult for them to safely get up after a knockdown. Just hovering outside their wakeup range and doing either b4, f21, or walk-up throw seemed to be incredibly effective.
  • His staggers are more easily interrupted than I thought. I don't think I was able to get out a single 121, f32, or f21 stagger without being poked out of my followup.
  • However, instead of staggering into pressure, staggering into backdash seemed to be incredibly effective, especially if I had access to my f212 KB. I was able to land several good punishes against counterpokes by just staggering f2, f3, and 12 into backdash followed by f212.
  • His d4 is no joke. I was sniping toes the whole set, and the opponent never knows if you're just going to d4, d4~bf1, or d4 backdash. It made it very difficult for Sheeva to approach without risking a jump-in.
  • Overall, his normals seem to have very low priority, losing almost every trade with the opponent's pokes and normals.
  • Against Sheeva, the Wrist Rocket seemed to give her major issues. Her Ground Pound goes over low auto-9 and punishes RoboCop, but the Wrist Rocket can almost be used on reaction to punish ground pound attempts. It also wins trades with all her projectiles and was able to knock her out of the startup of her Stomp several times.
  • The Kitana matchup was interesting (Royal Storm, I believe, not Highborn). Low Fan is the only projectile she can use. RoboCop even gets his bf1 KB if she throws an air fan. He seems to barely win low auto-9 trades with her low fan, forcing her to try to get in. His 8-frame d2 seemed perfect for beating out her j2 and he can also anti-air with Wrist Rocket on reaction from the right distance.

Gaxkang

Banned
  • His d4 is no joke. I was sniping toes the whole set, and the opponent never knows if you're just going to d4, d4~bf1, or d4 backdash. It made it very difficult for Sheeva to approach without risking a jump-in.
  • Overall, his normals seem to have very low priority, losing almost every trade with the opponent's pokes and normals.
Yeah his d4 is nice...his b4 is nice too. But makes me feel like Shao Kahn and using his b4 too much heh.

I did feel like Robo's normals got low priority...when it would come to just trying to fight people, it's like your moves get engulfed by theirs.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
He's got loads of frame randomness when canceling f21 into maximum delayed amp wrist rocket, ranging from -3 to -13. However, it looks like if you just barely delay it, you can get some additional advantage beyond the normal +7 from non-delayed amplified rocket. The most I've gotten is +10, and I can get +9 pretty consistently.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think ending kombos with f32~db1 might be ideal. It's usually like 1% less damage than optimized kombos, but it leaves you around +40 within b4 range, allowing access to all of your oki options.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Just finished playing a long set against @Gooberking, around 40 games or so. Mostly v2 RoboCop vs her directable stomp variation, with a few matches against Kitana near the end. Here are a few lessons I learned during the set, some general, some specific to the matchup:
  • If RoboCop's b4 has more range than the opponent's wakeup, it becomes very difficult for them to safely get up after a knockdown. Just hovering outside their wakeup range and doing either b4, f21, or walk-up throw seemed to be incredibly effective.
  • His staggers are more easily interrupted than I thought. I don't think I was able to get out a single 121, f32, or f21 stagger without being poked out of my followup.
  • However, instead of staggering into pressure, staggering into backdash seemed to be incredibly effective, especially if I had access to my f212 KB. I was able to land several good punishes against counterpokes by just staggering f2, f3, and 12 into backdash followed by f212.
  • Against Sheeva, the Wrist Rocket seemed to give her major issues. Her Ground Pound goes over low auto-9 and punishes RoboCop, but the Wrist Rocket can almost be used on reaction to punish ground pound attempts. It also wins trades with all her projectiles and was able to knock her out of the startup of her Stomp several times.
  • The Kitana matchup was interesting (Royal Storm, I believe, not Highborn). Low Fan is the only projectile she can use. RoboCop even gets his bf1 KB if she throws an air fan. He seems to barely win low auto-9 trades with her low fan, forcing her to try to get in. His 8-frame d2 seemed perfect for beating out her j2 and he can also anti-air with Wrist Rocket on reaction from the right distance.
You sure think about a lot more than I do. I'm like "Me do something here, ahhh"

I'd keep in mind that stagger into backdash is generally "incredibly effective" against me as a player. When I was willing to just do b4 I seemed to be able to catch you moving, but otherwise I would kind of just lose the situation.

Rockets totally shut down stomp and ground pound attempts. The ground pound forcing the use of rockets instead of just low shots made closing part of the distance faster, so it's kind of like they both win a little. Hopping over the low shot is a legitimate thing if you know the timing you need to do it, but it does require a guess that a single shot is coming. If he has meter, and only does them every now and then it's not near as realistic a thing to pull off. It worked pretty well against another player who didn't seem know know about wrist rocket though.