What's new

The Official Souls Forum (Demon/DS1/DS2)

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Thanks for the tip. Sitting on 19 dragon scales as of 15 minutes ago. Soooo many people try to use 'cheap' tactics. None prevailed. Only a few noble duelists. I'm recording 'em as I go along because of how hilarious some of the matches are.
The number of people who stopped to heal while I was in the process of throwing lightning bolts at them was astounding. Got some to jump into Sunlight Spears, almost felt bad

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
hey guys so whats this game all about , is it anythin like the d&d universe , i used to play games like baldurs gate an stuff a lot is it anything like those . just readin your posts about pvp has made me curious

I think you'd love it Stack. It's a very immersive RPG. It's all about trial and error. Dying is all part of the game. PvE and PvP all had a new layer to the game. There is some farming where you can grind items to reinforce your weapons and armor. There are spells, healing and offensive, hexes. There are classes, but it really only matters in the beginning load outs. Technically if you level enough, your character can do anything, archery, spell casting, melee, etc. It's a very hard but very rewarding game. Nothing like monster hunter, but it's what I would compare it to for the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand, and how rewarding it can be. If you are a fan of difficult games, especially RPGs, it's worth checking out for sure, man!

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
You don't die as much if you stop to think and prepare for the worst. If you see a door and an enemy standing in a room for you to see, chances are there are 2 more guys jumping you from the sides if you just run through the door to engage the foe you see. Be mindful of your surroundings, keep your shield up, expect the worst and use a bow to aggro/lure or snipe foes one by one and the game is easy and you save yourself from stupid deaths. All you need to do is make the enemies whiff by moving or dodging/rolling and then you whiff punish or you block and punish. In short: wait for your turn, attack, rinse and repeat. Never expend all your stamina unless you are certain you are gonna kill the opponent. The game isn't really as hard as it is made out to be, you just have to observe your surroundings and foes, think before you act and that's it. This series is the way I think all RPG's should be, even if you have good gear and a high level character you can still die if you autopilot at any point. The punishment of dying forces you to play safe and there is a true sense of adventure and danger when you enter new environments. The combat system is great, I always hoped that a somewhat realistic combat system would be the cornerstone of an RPG game ever since I played Die By The Sword as a kid in 1998 and Severance: Blade of Darkness in 2001.

The amount of bloodstains you see in the game in the weirdest spots is just astounding, examine the stains and you see dumb shit like people mashing 1-hand longsword R-ones vs ironclad soldiers like they are gonna kill them by expending all their stamina, then they get oneshotted by their slow-ass unblockable overheads. You play "lame" and patient = you survive. I was helping someone vs the Smelter demon and the host got hit by the shockwave he does after he sticks his sword on the ground like 3 times, what a moron lol.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Anyone here rocking the Zweihander? I'm a STR build and it has been unmatched for me in how useful it is. +10 Lightning Zweihander is amzing. I also find that I love the Faraam helm too much to put on something else, so I'm rocking that with Fengarl's armor--very nice stats on Fengarl's set.

What other suggestions do you guys have for STR weapons? I have the Black Knight UltraGreatsword, but its only +2 or +3 and hasn't caught up to the +10 Lightning Zweihander. I also sunk all of my Petrified Dragon Bones into my Pursuer's UltraGreatsword, only to regret it now that I'm seeing how beast some of the other UGs are.

STR weapons? Should I be aiming for a powerstance of 2 UGs?
Zweihander was soooo good in DKS1, I haven't tried it yet in DKS2 because I don't have the chunks to upgrade it atm. I really dislike the fact that they changed the 2-hand R2 into a stab, the overhead in DKS1 was a lot better IMO. I also dislike the new running R1, I really liked charging and one-shotting or knocking down single opponents in DKS1, so fast and effective killing.

I have not been using any other weapon besides the Claymore ever since I got it. I am kinda curious about the Arced sword, even though it is essentially a dex weapon. The range on jumping R2-attacks is kinda OP in this game IMO, I also noticed that at least with the Claymore the jumping R2's have some tracking so they aren't completely linear.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Zweihander was soooo good in DKS1, I haven't tried it yet in DKS2 because I don't have the chunks to upgrade it atm. I really dislike the fact that they changed the 2-hand R2 into a stab, the overhead in DKS1 was a lot better IMO. I also dislike the new running R1, I really liked charging and one-shotting or knocking down single opponents in DKS1, so fast and effective killing.

I have not been using any other weapon besides the Claymore ever since I got it. I am kinda curious about the Arced sword, even though it is essentially a dex weapon. The range on jumping R2-attacks is kinda OP in this game IMO, I also noticed that at least with the Claymore the jumping R2's have some tracking so they aren't completely linear.
Been meaning to check out the Claymore.

Is it STR scaling? Dex? Slower/faster/more damaging than Zwei?

I'm gonna start pumping upgrades into my next weapon, but I'm not sure if I want to wait for the Crypt Blacksword, keep the Pursuer's, or put points into the Smelter.

SO MANY CHOICEZ

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Some general info

Ascetics can be farmed in the Abbyss

Soul Vessels can be farmed in memory of orro, past the pursuer. It's the dead giant. You can respawn it by just using an ascetic in the king's door bonfire which also reset's the memory in front of you which gives you another ascetic.

Since we can infinitely re-spec and get any item we wish anyway then I'll just make a final second character and just re-spec one when I'm bored. I'll farm a few stones and upgrade every weapon worth upgrading and just farm soul vessels.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
Been meaning to check out the Claymore.

Is it STR scaling? Dex? Slower/faster/more damaging than Zwei?

I'm gonna start pumping upgrades into my next weapon, but I'm not sure if I want to wait for the Crypt Blacksword, keep the Pursuer's, or put points into the Smelter.

SO MANY CHOICEZ
Claymore is C/C in Str/Dex and it's faster/lower damage than Zwei. If you plan on using a greatsword and upgrading along the normal path I'd just use the Mastadon Greatsword since it has better Str scaling (A at +10) and the moveset is exactly the same anyway. It does weigh twice as much, though.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I suspected some dumb shit like this was possible since you are practically given enough time to change weapons or do basically anything you want with ripostes. They should bring back the DKS1 animation, even then you saw people quickly change rings to hornet ring and then perform the riposte.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Some general info

Ascetics can be farmed in the Abbyss

Soul Vessels can be farmed in memory of orro, past the pursuer. It's the dead giant. You can respawn it by just using an ascetic in the king's door bonfire which also reset's the memory in front of you which gives you another ascetic.

Since we can infinitely re-spec and get any item we wish anyway then I'll just make a final second character and just re-spec one when I'm bored. I'll farm a few stones and upgrade every weapon worth upgrading and just farm soul vessels.
All these are true, and to add, you can get infinite Effigies by asceticing the bonfire in Majula. Head into the mansion and kill the skeleton(s) who have a 100% drop rate. The more times you burn an ascetic, the more skeleton up to 9 for 9 effigies per run. Why Majula? Because who else would you even fight there?

Infinite effigies this way, Ascetics by the abyss covenant, vessels by Orro, infinite souls by roflstomping Giant Lord (extremely easy as a Mage even on ++++++++) and infinite laughs by having Looking Glass Knight summon you.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I suspected some dumb shit like this was possible since you are practically given enough time to change weapons or do basically anything you want with ripostes. They should bring back the DKS1 animation, even then you saw people quickly change rings to hornet ring and then perform the riposte.
My build atm is running dual wield clubs with a Large Club as my secondary weapon for ripostes. Doesnt make an appearance until the riposte comes out, and then people get splashed on the floor.

Windmilling fools with 2 +10 Clubs and Stone Ring, Chloranthy +2, Blades+2 their guard breaks or i break it for them, and then quick switch to Large Club for phantom riposte = instakill gg

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hidden weapon in PVP is HILAAAAARIOUS!

"Lol this Ricky guy is a noob mage! He doesn't even have a shield or weapon in his right hand!"
Me:.....

He gets within distance due to his confidence versus my close range options

"This is gonna be an eas-"

Me: SWOOOP!SLASH! CRASH!

"WTF?!?!"

Invader Banished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The invader has been banished. Returning to your home world with newly found salt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I already reported your gamertag, you fucking hacker!"

Me:
"Crouching hacker hidden roflcopter" is a legit tactic... guy ran at me naked yesterday and i suddenly eat 2000 damage from invisible halberd dash attack, i wasnt even mad it was brilliant!

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Seems Im the only fool not playing online and is still working on their first playthrough. I never go online until I finish the game at least once. The Gutter BTW has got to be the creepiest place I have seen thus far in the game and gave me hell trying to make my way to the Black Gulch and who the hell at FS decided to get all poison spitting statue crazy when designing that place good god, but damn still had a great time getting through there and taking on that boss, which is one ugly mother**ker!!!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Seems Im the only fool not playing online and is still working on their first playthrough. I never go online until I finish the game at least once.
So you actually CHOOSE to not get the fullest out of your first playthrough? Man, I couldn't even play the game when the servers went down for my first playthrough. It's not the same even just not seeing messages, ghosts and bloodstains, let alone the "FUCK!" moment when you're far into a level and get invaded.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
So you actually CHOOSE to not get the fullest out of your first playthrough? Man, I couldn't even play the game when the servers went down for my first playthrough. It's not the same even just not seeing messages, ghosts and bloodstains, let alone the "FUCK!" moment when you're far into a level and get invaded.
Well when its my first playthrough I get annoyed by invasions, its just the way I do a Souls game. After I hit NG+ I go online the rest of the time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for the tip. Sitting on 19 dragon scales as of 15 minutes ago. Soooo many people try to use 'cheap' tactics. None prevailed. Only a few noble duelists. I'm recording 'em as I go along because of how hilarious some of the matches are.
Went 35-1 in that covenant summoning people with their dragon signs down. The very first guy should have died about 10 times, but I forgot to clear out the enemies and he kept running to them and healing like a bitch. That really REALLY pissed me off, so I proceeded to be a complete asshole and went on a 35 kill streak. I would have stopped at 30 but I didn't even check to see how many scales I had, just went on a rampage. For the first 10, I buffed my weapon and used crystal soulmass before they even spawned in. No one even came close. Calmed down from the scrub and started being a little more "fair". But it still wasn't even close.

Magic Moonlight Greatsword buffed with Crystal Magic Weapon with 60 INT just flat out reeeekts people. Not to mention magic spamming so they have to get close to you. Being an asshole in Souls games is the only way I know.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
So the rewards for completing the game without dying/without resting at a bonfire are quite underwhelming.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I went 30-2 in that covenant before I maxed it out, and I recorded most of the matches. Homing crystal soul mass, crystal magic weaponed, magic infused MLGS (Major League Gaming Sword) and proceed to WRECK the assholes who tired to firestorm/ backstab me before I came in. Never worked even once, and they still tried it during rematches.

I upped my game and start using hidden weapon on my MLGS. Even people who have been preventing magic use with profound still can't take more than 2-3 hits. They run to heal, only to be caught by my soul great sword.
Honestly, out of all the broken shit, I'd say hidden weapon competitively is the most broken shit there is. AFAIK, there's no way to even combat/counter it, at least not specifically.

Being able to upgrade boss weapons with magic/fire/lighting etc is insane, but also being able to buff them while they're imbued is batshit nuts. A weapon that already scales A/S in a certain stat, like the MLGS for instance, AND being able to upgrade it with magic... AND being able to use Crystal Magic Weapon... I mean GOT DAYUUUM! Not even complaining, I think that it's fucking awesome. Mages need a powerful melee weapon, imo. I'm 100% biased though. Gonna work on some Dex and Str builds though. The black knight and dragon weapons are reaaalllly fucking cool and have great move sets.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Honestly, out of all the broken shit, I'd say hidden weapon competitively is the most broken shit there is. AFAIK, there's no way to even combat/counter it, at least not specifically.

Being able to upgrade boss weapons with magic/fire/lighting etc is insane, but also being able to buff them while they're imbued is batshit nuts. A weapon that already scales A/S in a certain stat, like the MLGS for instance, AND being able to upgrade it with magic... AND being able to use Crystal Magic Weapon... I mean GOT DAYUUUM! Not even complaining, I think that it's fucking awesome. Mages need a powerful melee weapon, imo. I'm 100% biased though. Gonna work on some Dex and Str builds though. The black knight and dragon weapons are reaaalllly fucking cool and have great move sets.
Currently using 30str/50faith build rocking dual wield "Lightning Defenders Greatsword" and 22 dex allowing me to powerstance them. Because of the weapons special ability 2h L2 attack, i can buff both hands with their own "sunlight blade" without needing attunement slots to do so.

Rocks pretty hard at the moment based on pure elemental damage scaling with the lightning buffs + imbues, and has really versatile moveset to boot

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Currently using 30str/50faith build rocking dual wield "Lightning Defenders Greatsword" and 22 dex allowing me to powerstance them. Because of the weapons special ability 2h L2 attack, i can buff both hands with their own "sunlight blade" without needing attunement slots to do so.

Rocks pretty hard at the moment based on pure elemental damage scaling with the lightning buffs + imbues, and has really versatile moveset to boot
Man I need my 360

This game can be a pvp paradise with the right nerfs to magic and pyro. So many weapons I wanna try

Zerker blade, darkdrift, inquisitor's, crypt greatsword, defender and watcher swords, dual poison manslayers, etc.

When I speedrun my second char ill get him to 150/200 so I can test every one of these.

Can anyone with a spare vessel tell me if you're forced to respec all your points? If I'm 150 am I forced to go 150 again or can I stop at 125?