What's new

THE OFFICIAL MK11 COMPLAINT/RANT THREAD

For now my only complaints are :

- The number of characters, 25 (and we don't even know if the Day One DLC Shao Khan is part of the 25 slots). We should have at least as many characters as I2.
- The announcer saying "FATALITY... Scorpion wins" instead of "Scorpion wins, FATALITY"

And I think that's it

RoGE

Noob
Regarding meter management:

https://www.gamecrate.com/mortal-kombat-11-developer-interview-towers-of-time-how-gear-works-secret-characters/21980

GC: We have an offense and a defense meter now. How do you fill those up?

PG: They'll just fill up over time, at a rate that's dependent on what you did. So if it's a move that's really strong, it will fill up slower once you use it, and if it's something that's not as strong then it will fill up quicker. But the idea is to make it so that you play the game and you don't really have to look at it until you need it. We're trying to make it so you can just play and do moves at your own pace, and those are more of the constratints, so you can't spam moves and things like that. But it just fills up over time depending on what you did.
Actually you know what? I like it after reading that. I want to see how they balance all the ex moves around it.

AbeW

Noob
a) SMASH is super fking fast and sophisticated, it has been alive and growing for 19 years.
b) Tekken has 50/50s to high heaven
c) Tom Brady - neutral neutral footsies footsie loud mouth..yet mains Grandclonemaster with the single biggest neutral breaking move in FG history.

GIT GUD you NRS scrubs if you can't deal with 50/50s and speed. You're a real warrior wannabe! But you wanna walk slowly, not run in the midst of a fight. MK11 has a guaranteed death in 10 months tops. MKX will stay alive for years to come. Fk off.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Agreed, that was one of the lazy ways that they did not even TRY to differentiate it from Injustice!
We have to wait and see whether or not damage and health are normalized across characters. It could be the case where characters may naturally have slightly different health values based on their defense and damage output, like some other games do. If that’s the case, people would be upset about percentages being different against different characters.

But if that’s not the case, I agree and would greatly prefer percentage values.

DDustiNN

Also, I could not hear any sound effect when punches/kicks/etc. connect. I want some oomph there ffs
Watch better videos. There are plenty of them out there now. Direct captures have the very deep, hard-hitting sounds that NRS is known for. The live stream seemed to have some sounds drowned out or missing, likely due to the setup.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
We have to wait and see whether or not damage and health are normalized across characters. It could be the case where characters may naturally have slightly different health values based on their defense and damage output, like some other games do. If that’s the case, people would be upset about percentages being different against different characters.

But if that’s not the case, I agree and would greatly prefer percentage values.
Hmm, not sure it is an issue of character balance, just the way of expressing damage amount. Whether to use “30%” or “300” is really just an asthetic choice, and the former is far more MK like

leoj89

Noob
- Sub-Zero base outfit wtf
- The general UI is tacky compared to MKX
- I don't like the defense and offense meters being split especially in an L shape
- meter burned and enhanced moves need to be universal inputs
*- I'm not 100% on board with Fatal Blows taking over from x-rays but trying hard to reserve judgement until I actually play the game.
- walk or dash speed looks like it needs to be slightly sped up otherwise looking like a zoning fest
- Scarlett looks annoying af to fight against already

please don't take this post too serious just some opinions and observations made in good fun.

*edit: I didn't know Fatal and krushing blows were different things .

Last edited:

DDustiNN

Hmm, not sure it is an issue of character balance, just the way of expressing damage amount. Whether to use “30%” or “300” is really just an asthetic choice, and the former is far more MK like
Right, but if health bars are different for each character, they wouldn’t be the same. For example, 300 is 30% of a 1,000 point health bar... 300 is only 27% of a 1,100 point health bar. See what I’m saying? That’s the reason they did that in Injustice 2. Saying 300 is just more consistent.

That being said... have to wait and see if that’s the case with MKX.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Right, but if health bars are different for each character, they wouldn’t be the same. For example, 300 is 30% of a 1,000 point health bar... 300 is only 27% of a 1,100 point health bar. See what I’m saying? That’s the reason they did that in Injustice 2. Saying 300 is just more consistent.

That being said... have to wait and see if that’s the case with MKX.
Why would healthbars for different characters not all be equal?

DDustiNN

Why would healthbars for different characters not all be equal?
Because not all characters are physically equal. In Mortal Kombat, health has always been normalized, but some fighting games balance it differently. Look at Street Fighter, for example:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/16/stamina-and-stun-rankings-street-fighter-5/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/8r0tb8/effective_health_values_for_the_cast_of_street/

https://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/05/stamina-stun-dash-and-jump-rankings-street-fighter-4/

You can see that characters have differing stamina (health) values, with 1,000 being the “average” value. Some could have 900, some could have 1,100.

Basically it makes logical sense that someone like Geras would have better defense than someone physically weaker like Sonya. So weaker characters would generally have other tools to make up for it, such as better agility, maybe more or harder-hitting specials, etc. It’s just a different layer of balance.

I’m just saying is possible we could see something similar in MK11, though we don’t know yet.

Last edited:

Krabman

Noob
Looks a little bland to begin with but we don't really know much yet. MK has so many awesome characters and I feel Cassie, Sonya, and Johnny hold too many spots. Did they really need to add another Cage? lol

DDustiNN

I prefer equal HP for all characters. Then it's one last thing for NRS to worry about when it comes to balancing.
I agree. But whether we like it or not, we need to understand it. I’m just explaining it for people who aren’t used to it. I noticed a lot of people couldn’t wrap their head around that concept with Injustice 2.

Injustice 2 had to balance health, defense, strength, etc, with all of the gear stats and upgrades, so it made sense not to use percentages there. They would vary much too wildly and cause players to complain. Luckily MK11 won’t have stats like that (at least not visible to us). If anything, I would guess health only, but that still has yet to be seen. It’s just the only reason I can see damage numbers being the way they currently are.

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The only thing I’m really worried about at this point is the fact that X-Rays, oops, I mean “fatal blows”, aren’t tied to meter. This means that as long as it doesn’t whiff or isn’t blocked, we’re going to be seeing every character’s X-Ray every match, since there there is no reason not to use it. I imagine that’s going to get real old, real quick.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

The only thing I’m really worried about at this point is the fact that X-Rays, oops, I mean “killling blows”, aren’t tied to meter. This means that as long as it doesn’t whiff or isn’t blocked, we’re going to be seeing every character’s X-Ray every match, since there there is no reason not to use it. I imagine that’s going to get real old, real quick.
I would like to see additional Fatal Blows. Multiple x-rays per character was a somewhat common request, for the exact reason you stated. Now with character customization, choosing stuff such as special moves, intros, win poses, etc... they have the perfect system in place to allow people to choose between different Fatal Blows. I really hope they do that, but I know I shouldn’t hold my breath.