What's new

The official buffs/nerfs discussion thread.

Reedoms

Noob
I dislike it when sub players whine about the reset going.

It is relatively new man! What happened to the glory days of us all riding in Tom Brady's coattails and being listed in the top tier. Now it is doom and gloom as we can no longer do 50% with one meter. We won with much less and thrived! So much pessimism has gripped Sub-Zero, if only you had confidence in your character then you would win!

Other characters have not changed, Sub-Zero has not changed. Only you as a player has changed.
People like the easy way out.

Turnbull

Noob
Buff: Smoke -

I wish smoke had a low mixup, even if it wasn't possible to link beyond say 15%. Honestly I'm not sure if he would become overpowered or not, because he does have the fastest sweep in the game. However, people who have seen smoke can just low block the first hit of "combustion" and then blow high for the remainder if they're worried about the sweep. His complete lack of mixups does tend to make me a bit sad. I think it would definitely make him top tier, but I don't know about overpowered.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Buff: Smoke -

I wish smoke had a low mixup, even if it wasn't possible to link beyond say 15%. Honestly I'm not sure if he would become overpowered or not, because he does have the fastest sweep in the game. However, people who have seen smoke can just low block the first hit of "combustion" and then blow high for the remainder if they're worried about the sweep. His complete lack of mixups does tend to make me a bit sad. I think it would definitely make him top tier, but I don't know about overpowered.
Smokes run-away/baiting game and pressure are too good to warrant a better high/low game... which is already good.

:d:bk. You can train your opponent to block low with it. On hit, they cannot interrupt :l:bp:fk. So you can just poke them to death with the :d:bk, then start going in with the :l:bp:fk string, which leads to 34% on hit. Beastly stuff. Smoke is fine.

One thing I'll never get is the whole "some characters are better than others, deal with it, the game doesn't need to be changed" attitude. This game IS already very well balanced, but by making small changes here and there, NRS can try to ensure that it becomes better still. Just because it's great, doesn't mean you can't make it phenomenal. Such an SRK SF attitude... Ugh. Anyway, on to my thoughts:

Main(s): Sektor, Smoke

Buff: Stryker and Sheeva in particular. Stryker's game is based on zoning, but with all the armor moves and teleports in this game, zoning is really minimized. Plus, characters like Kabal are arguably more effective at it, AND have better options up close. If they plan to keep him a heavy-zoning character, he could use a low projectile, whether it's a low gun or some kind of grenade that he can roll on the ground. Or, if he just becomes an overall more well-rounded character, he could use safer options up close. I wouldn't mind a buff to his roll move. It could use a slightly taller hitbox, and maybe beat out some ground-based moves. It's so easy to get hit out of, it's ridiculous. If I'm being picky, I'd like the gun to keep airborne opponents in the air just SLIGHTLY longer to allow for a little more creativity and damage in combos. Also, his grenades have WAY too much recovery to be useful (outside of hitting a full-screen croucher, as long as that character can't teleport out). The baton sweep is also totally useless. Depending on what else would change with Stryker, I would enjoy seeing the grenades get a faster recovery and slightly higher damage. He wouldn't need all of these changes, those are just some of my thoughts on things they could or should change.

I'm not sure what to do with Sheeva as I don't have as much experience with her as I do Stryker, but she feels as if she needs more help than he does. She does good damage, but that's about it.

Nerf: Kung Lao and Kabal. Kung Lao just has way too many options. While I'd personally like to see the low hat go altogether, I'd be fine with some more recovery frames. His standard hat can already be aimed low. When you compare his specials to some of the weaker characters, it's pretty glaring how much better his are. Spin, dive kick, and low hat are arguably among the best specials in the game. The only thing I'd like to see changed with Kabal is the dash cancel. I think he should either not be able to cancel it at all, or give it some recovery frames. No one else in the game has an advancing special that is fast and gives a full combo on hit that also can be cancelled and made safe.

There's other minor things I would change if I were in control, but those are the main issues I would change. Just my $.02!

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
We should name this the '' Let's make Kano OP because I want a good match up against every character''. I play offline and Kano has one if the best zoning games, FASTEST SPECIAL and decent damage. You can't have always have characters with high AND low starters for high damage combos. He has a low starter and an over head that can be used. Use these in your game and all his other tools and you'll be a dominate Kano player. I'm not one to talk but if you have xbox live...Habity is one if the best and legit Kanos I've ever seen and he knows how to use ALL his tools.
he still needs those tools though

Buff: kung lao ermac sector cyrax and raiden
Nerf:they need to nerf kano now hes mad broken he does to much damage and they need to nerf quan chi

SonicKaballs

Kaballin' since June 2011
Main: Kung Lao (Costume 1 Alternate Color only)
Buff: Kung Lao
Nerf: Sindel, Kitana, Kabal, Mileena
Explanation: Kung Lao struggles against characters who chuck air projectiles all day, super armor on enhanced dive kick would greatly aid him in this conflict. Right now, it's not fair that the four mentioned characters in nerf can stack up on breakers via projectile spamming and then break when I finally get in, causing me to repeat the entire process again. Sindel, Kitana, Kabal, and Mileena need more recovery frames on their air projectiles because right now they're too fast.
You can spam back unless you really dont like doing that (I used to hate now i just do it). Those ground hats leave you stunned so you cant even wakeup on them. He also has teleport man, cmon press X fast on the tele and your good. I really think more bad stuff with arise than good with a buff. Kabal has the worst damage in the game so nerfing him I believe (especially as my main) is just going to leave him as a pointless character. The amount of effort you put ito him and how much damage he delivers cant compare. His iAGB's are spammable but require practice and a mastery of them to make them dangerous.

SonicKaballs

Buff: kung lao ermac sector cyrax and raiden
Nerf:they need to nerf kano now hes mad broken he does to much damage and they need to nerf quan chi
So i guess 40+ 1 bar with Ermac isnt enough? Or 60% Resets with Cyrax. Kung Lao doing everything isnt enough? Cmon bro.

SonicKaballs

One thing I'll never get is the whole "some characters are better than others, deal with it, the game doesn't need to be changed" attitude. This game IS already very well balanced, but by making small changes here and there, NRS can try to ensure that it becomes better still. Just because it's great, doesn't mean you can't make it phenomenal. Such an SRK SF attitude... Ugh. Anyway, on to my thoughts:

Main(s): Sektor, Smoke

Buff: Stryker and Sheeva in particular. Stryker's game is based on zoning, but with all the armor moves and teleports in this game, zoning is really minimized. Plus, characters like Kabal are arguably more effective at it, AND have better options up close. If they plan to keep him a heavy-zoning character, he could use a low projectile, whether it's a low gun or some kind of grenade that he can roll on the ground. Or, if he just becomes an overall more well-rounded character, he could use safer options up close. I wouldn't mind a buff to his roll move. It could use a slightly taller hitbox, and maybe beat out some ground-based moves. It's so easy to get hit out of, it's ridiculous. If I'm being picky, I'd like the gun to keep airborne opponents in the air just SLIGHTLY longer to allow for a little more creativity and damage in combos. Also, his grenades have WAY too much recovery to be useful (outside of hitting a full-screen croucher, as long as that character can't teleport out). The baton sweep is also totally useless. Depending on what else would change with Stryker, I would enjoy seeing the grenades get a faster recovery and slightly higher damage. He wouldn't need all of these changes, those are just some of my thoughts on things they could or should change.

I'm not sure what to do with Sheeva as I don't have as much experience with her as I do Stryker, but she feels as if she needs more help than he does. She does good damage, but that's about it.

Nerf: Kung Lao and Kabal. Kung Lao just has way too many options. While I'd personally like to see the low hat go altogether, I'd be fine with some more recovery frames. His standard hat can already be aimed low. When you compare his specials to some of the weaker characters, it's pretty glaring how much better his are. Spin, dive kick, and low hat are arguably among the best specials in the game. The only thing I'd like to see changed with Kabal is the dash cancel. I think he should either not be able to cancel it at all, or give it some recovery frames. No one else in the game has an advancing special that is fast and gives a full combo on hit that also can be cancelled and made safe.

There's other minor things I would change if I were in control, but those are the main issues I would change. Just my $.02!
I totally agree with your buffs and nerfs, but you have to understand Kabal has the worst damage so hes really just zoning with what you can make of it and mind games. His combos yield so much effort but produce next to nothing of what others can do. Dash cancel is only effective in the block string F3,2 Dash cancel repeat or dash cancel from full screen right in front of their face. Both require immense practice and are still avoidable once you have knowledge of them.

I totally agree with your buffs and nerfs, but you have to understand Kabal has the worst damage so hes really just zoning with what you can make of it and mind games. His combos yield so much effort but produce next to nothing of what others can do. Dash cancel is only effective in the block string F3,2 Dash cancel repeat or dash cancel from full screen right in front of their face. Both require immense practice and are still avoidable once you have knowledge of them.
It needs practice ok. But if you played SF4 with Focus Cancel stuff its not that much of a deal.
IMO Kabal, Reptile (dash on block and maybe meterbuilding on dash spam should be looked at) and Kung Lao (low hat on block and pushback on blocked spin should be looked at) are the only 3 that need slight nerfs. Cyrax just needs 2 be fixed (not nerfed).
Kabal can pressure like a god and zone like a god. He can go into pressure full screen. iAGB into ND. IMO ex ND should give you +Advantage on Cancel after F3,2 or any other string (like ex-roundhouse from rain). The Normal Dash should go through (not cancable) after each String or leave you at slight disadvantage when cancelled (i prefer the first cause it should be a string link tool and fullscreen pressure/guessing game tool). He already has the option to mix up from Fullscreen and upclose. So he dominates the Air against most and ground zoning. And has a pressure mixup thats not even 50/50. NDC leaves the opponent at a point where he has to guess a non cancelled dash, a throw, a saw blade (or sweep),an overhead or continued pressure. so 5 Options for Kabal and the opponent has to make the right guess. And meterbuilding is freakin high on ndc wich gives kabal another big advantage. the dash is atm way to powerfull. it a fullscreen pressure tool and an absolute amazing anti air. His saw is a amazing anti wakeup option. Dont understand how high level players say kabal is right as he is atm. His damage output is ok compared to his zoning and mixup possibilities.

only a few chars need buffs like sheeva, stryker and quan chi.

other than that the biggest mk9 problems are bugs and glitches and freakin random hitbox stuff and the shittiest training mode ever.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
lol some of this stuff is ridiculous. if every person got the buffs they wanted on their main, this game would turn into dragon ball z

So I take it that this thread is going to be the only place where we discuss nerfs and buffs?

Kung Lao:

1. Give Low Hat more recovery frames or less stun.
2. Slightly reduce the hitbox size of his Spin (which is ridiculously huge).
3. Slightly reduce the pushback of Spin on block to make it easier to punish for less fortunate characters.
4. Fix the glitch where KL keeps armor after EN teleport.

Raiden:

1. Less blockstun on some strings maybe.
2. Smaller vertical hitbox on superman.
3. A few vulnerable frames on teleport start up (I'm thinking like 3-5 frames top).

Kabal:

1. Fix his projectiles and give them actual vulnerable start up frames.
2. Reduce ground saw's recovery to compensate.
3. Reduce the amount of meter gained from some normals or gas blast (I wish).

Cyrax:

1. Increased damage scaling every time a bomb/net hits or just remove the 70% resets.
2. Give him a better wake up to compensate.

Freddy Kruger:

1. Make projectiles not go through him.
2. General damage nerf.
3. Reduce amount of hitstun/blockstun on some attacks.

Skarlet:

1. Remove 17% back throw.
2. Less frame advantage on blocked daggers.
3. More recovery on her teleport maybe.

Cyber Sub-Zero:

1. Remap ice bombs to 4 instead of 3
2. Give this guy faster crouching pokes but increase recovery on parry
3. Give him armor on EN dive kick to help vs his terrible matchups

Stryker:

1. He needs REAL armor on EN Roll Toss. Not fake armor that gets stuffed by 90% of low attacks in the game. It also needs to stay on longer.
2. B2 needs less start up and recovery.
3. The gap between B3 and 2 needs to be thighter.
4. Increase stagger state duration of standing 3.
5. Slightly change the trajectory of low grenades to cover more low space. Or make the hitbox bigger.

Sheeva:

1. She's missing some fingers and toes. How can she even compete?

Sindel:

1. Needs some armor.
2. Remodel her face so she doesn't look so damn ugly.

Quan Chi:

1. Needs a girlfriend.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
Just give Jax a launcher, I think hes the only character that doesn't have a string launcher just gp launchers

B W1zZ

Noob
Main Character: Raiden
Buff: Sheeva, Stryker, Baraka, Sindel, Raiden (yes I went there)
Nerf: Kung Lao, Cyrax, Freddy Krueger

Sheeva is a solid character for the most part, the main problem she has in my opinion is the startup on her moves. I believe if her 212, 12B1 and B1,2,1+2 strings had a faster startup she would be a more viable choice for tournament play.

Stryker: Can't say exactly what needs buffed with him but he overall seems like a very weak character at this point.

Baraka: He was buffed a little bit but it doesn't seem like it really did the trick. Something is missing as far as being able to play him in a tournament is concerned.

Sindel: I think she could benefit from a more threatening pressure game. Also not very tournament viable at this point imo.

Raiden: B2,F1,1+2 string: Making his B2 have a slightly faster startup would overall make this a more viable string to use since right now it's practically worthless in most situations.

Nerfs:
Kung Lao: Need I say more? This character matchup wise beats most if not all of the cast. Spin should have more recovery time on block/whiff, and low hat should cause less stagger on hit.

Cyrax: Tone down the damage from his resets...idk about removing them completely though.

Freddy: Projectile glitch and damage scaling need fixed, seems like his projectile needs slowed down a bit too.

I'm not really crying for these buffs or nerfs...just a few observations I made that seem like they would make the game a bit more balanced.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Main Character: Raiden
Buff: Sheeva, Stryker, Baraka, Sindel, Raiden (yes I went there)
Nerf: Kung Lao, Cyrax, Freddy Krueger

Sheeva is a solid character for the most part, the main problem she has in my opinion is the startup on her moves. I believe if her 212, 12B1 and B1,2,1+2 strings had a faster startup she would be a more viable choice for tournament play.

Stryker: Can't say exactly what needs buffed with him but he overall seems like a very weak character at this point.

Baraka: He was buffed a little bit but it doesn't seem like it really did the trick. Something is missing as far as being able to play him in a tournament is concerned.

Sindel: I think she could benefit from a more threatening pressure game. Also not very tournament viable at this point imo.

Raiden: B2,F1,1+2 string: Making his B2 have a slightly faster startup would overall make this a more viable string to use since right now it's practically worthless in most situations.

Nerfs:
Kung Lao: Need I say more? This character matchup wise beats most if not all of the cast. Spin should have more recovery time on block/whiff, and low hat should cause less stagger on hit.

Cyrax: Tone down the damage from his resets...idk about removing them completely though.

Freddy: Projectile glitch and damage scaling need fixed, seems like his projectile needs slowed down a bit too.

I'm not really crying for these buffs or nerfs...just a few observations I made that seem like they would make the game a bit more balanced.
Sorry for the double post, but did you just suggest NRS buff Raiden? What the hell is wrong with you?

Past

Noob
What the hell is the point of this thread? Putting all of the suggestions into one thread is counterproductive. Any suggestions that actually have merit is going to be drowned in the sea of troll posts. No one in NRS would bother looking through this pile of trash just to find a decent suggestion. Oh well. So much for the community helping NRS refine the MK9 experience.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'm changing the spelling on the title cause "tiers" is what I think the original user meant:)

Main: JC
Buff: Nothing, he's too awesome to buff
Nerf: Nothing, cause that will make me sad

Thanks for changing the title. The "Tears" really annoyed me and made this thread sound like a joke or a salty scrubs festival.

There are serious issues with some characters that need to be addressed. And there's nothing scrubby about saying Kung Lao's low hat needing more recovery frames.