What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
You might want to give reptile a go. Thats why i like him. He can handle him self well in pretty much any situation. He doesnt really excel in any area but hes good in all of them. Hes also quite safe if you know what your doing.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
picking characters bases on frame data and tier lists is just so lame, especially in mkx where nearly the entire cast is viable. People that say different are fucking ignorant or just liars. I mean Whiteboy just got to top8 esl beating Zyfox and Red Raptor using fucking Jason. Pick the character you think are the coolest and play them and you will do a lot better than spazing about trying to find some mythical "best character".

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
don't know which character to go for...ive used shinnok, raiden, lao, tanya,..i mean ive tested pretty much every character in the game but can't seem to find a good well rounded and solid safe character.. i mean even when i do find a pretty good character as far as pressure goes, he lacks at full screen..not asking for an unstoppable char.. just what u guys think would be a good choice?
If at this point you are doubting, I would just wait for the (possible) summer patch to see how things go.
It would be sad that you dedicated time to a character that (as two of the characters mentioned above) is likely to be nerfed to the ground.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
What are you looking for in a character? Mileena is the king (or queen) of well rounded, Sektor is pretty well rounded as well (shit D4 tho). You've played pretty focused characters so far, or at least characters with certain aspects missing to make up for their strengths, not really all rounders, except for Lao, he really is terrible at nothing and is great at a lot of things, what didn't you like about him?

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
picking characters bases on frame data and tier lists is just so lame, especially in mkx where nearly the entire cast is viable. People that say different are fucking ignorant or just liars. I mean Whiteboy just got to top8 esl beating Zyfox and Red Raptor using fucking Jason. Pick the character you think are the coolest and play them and you will do a lot better than spazing about trying to find some mythical "best character".
The irony of this post had me in stitches.

Luke KB

Noob
So I've been dabbling in the competitive seen, but I want to take it a little further. I'm attending a pretty big competition in June and I'm curious as to which of the characters I play are most viable in a competitive environment. Of course all characters shine in certain match-ups, but I just want to know which of my characters you guys think I should main and focus my practice on.
Here's a list of my characters in no particular order:

-Leatherface (all variations)
-Kenshi (possessed and kenjutsu)
-Kotal (war god and blood god)
-F.T (all variations)
-Quan (sorcerer)
-Tremor (all variations)

So who should be my go to competitive character?

Last edited:

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
The one you like the most...
NOT. Lol. Of course a top tier if you want to play competively. From the characters you presented Mileena or Alien seem the best imo.
:DOGE Sorry :) I believe you should pick Tremor out of these

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
My favorites out of that group are Kotal, Quan, and Tremor.

The real question is this...

Which one are you prepared to go to war with?

...and beyond that - when the fight or flight response kicks in - which character best matches your instincts?

myri

Time Warrior
Kotal or Tremor is probably your best bet. If i had to choose between those two I think Kotal. Pick what you feel most comfortable with though, it's a good list of characters to choose from.

Luke KB

Noob
Thanks for the quick feed back guys. I appreciate the input.
The one you like the most...
NOT. Lol. Of course a top tier if you want to play competively. From the characters you presented Mileena or Alien seem the best imo.
:DOGE Sorry :) I believe you should pick Tremor out of these
My favorites out of that group are Kotal, Quan, and Tremor.

The real question is this...

Which one are you prepared to go to war with?

...and beyond that - when the fight or flight response kicks in - which character best matches your instincts?
Kotal or Tremor is probably your best bet. If i had to choose between those two I think Kotal. Pick what you feel most comfortable with though, it's a good list of characters to choose from.
Kotal was my original main and I've been playing him since day 1. I'm a little more comfortable with his war god variations... since it actually has wake-ups and what not. So I guess I'll go with that. But I do love my tremor (metallic). I can put on really good pressure with some great mix ups that lead into that reset.

Still, I'm thinking Kotal war god, because correct me if I'm wrong, but since blood god has no wake-ups he shouldn't really be a contender in this.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Thanks for the quick feed back guys. I appreciate the input.

Kotal was my original main and I've been playing him since day 1. I'm a little more comfortable with his war god variations... since it actually has wake-ups and what not. So I guess I'll go with that. But I do love my tremor (metallic). I can put on really good pressure with some great mix ups that lead into that reset.

Still, I'm thinking Kotal war god, because correct me if I'm wrong, but since blood god has no wake-ups he shouldn't really be a contender in this.
No, but BG does have some favorable matchups - so you could break him out if the opportunity arises.

Luke KB

Noob
No, but BG does have some favorable matchups - so you could break him out if the opportunity arises.
Just curious, but which match ups are more favorable for blood god than war god.
I mean blood god is a ton of fun to play, probably one of the most enjoyable and satisfying characters, but I just don't see which match ups would be better for blood god over war god.

GAV

Just curious, but which match ups are more favorable for blood god than war god.
I mean blood god is a ton of fun to play, probably one of the most enjoyable and satisfying characters, but I just don't see which match ups would be better for blood god over war god.
Summoner Quan, Metallic Tremor, ... any slow zoner that you doesn't have a hard obstacle to overcome like GM or Hunter.

Luke KB

Noob
So tomorrow I'm going to be playing in a tournament, and I was hoping to play a couple of players and get their opinion on who I should main in the tournament.
I'm going for either War God, Metallic, or Pretty Lady (but I will be playing FT for Grandmaster and Tempest/Buzz-saw)
I will be on fairly late tonight probably either 9 or 10 e.s.t and I'll stay on for awhile.
I'm on Xbox1my GT is Luke KB
Add me and send me a message if you're willing to get online and help me out tonight.
Thanks ahead of time guys!

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Ideally you're best off playing all 3 for different matchups, but it's dependent on who you wanna play. Judging by the fact that every character you suggested is either upper mid to lower mid, you're better off going for the upper mid characters.
Theoretically, you shouldn't really beat anyone with metallic but in practice you might take some matches. Don't expect to get really far with him though.

Kotal or F/T are easily your best bets, and maybe pretty lady against zoners. Don't limit yourself to one character if you play multiple, you're essentially only setting yourself up to fail. Unless you're literally only good with one character(in terms of understanding) you should be using at least 2 characters minimum.

Luke KB

Noob
Ideally you're best off playing all 3 for different matchups, but it's dependent on who you wanna play. Judging by the fact that every character you suggested is either upper mid to lower mid, you're better off going for the upper mid characters.
Theoretically, you shouldn't really beat anyone with metallic but in practice you might take some matches. Don't expect to get really far with him though.

Kotal or F/T are easily your best bets, and maybe pretty lady against zoners. Don't limit yourself to one character if you play multiple, you're essentially only setting yourself up to fail. Unless you're literally only good with one character(in terms of understanding) you should be using at least 2 characters minimum.
Kotal is probably my most comfortable character, but I've played people who have told me that my Tremor is my best character and that he's really good blablabla... just makes me question my main I guess.
I plan on using pretty lady against people that I feel have no real zoning options or teleports, (like Kotal, Bo, Face, Jax, etc.)
The upside on picking metallic is that if someone trys to counterpick on a loss and go for a zoning character, I could focus on Goldskin to zone back at them.
But I know what you mean, it depends on the match up. I just wasn't sure if someone picks erron black or something (someone I don't have a good counter pick for) if I should go Metallic or wargod

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
@Luke KB If you don't know who to pick a day before a Tournament i suggest you to not even bother attending.
I feel like this is a bit misguided. Sure, having a character crisis before a tournament isn't ideal, but the only way you will find out who is the best choice is to play your characters when there's something on the line.

Plus, tournaments arent solely revolved around your performance. Getting in tons of offline casuals is great experience as well.