What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Merged all these ridiculous threads together. This thread is the one place to discuss this outside of profile posts.

Thank you. -TYM Staff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can anyone help me out? I've more or less narrowed down my potential mains to Ermac (Master of Souls), Kitana (Assassin), Scorpion (Inferno) and Mileena (Ethereal or Piercing) but I'm still looking for someone who can fill the black void left in my heart by the absence of Smoke.

Ethereal Mileena has a mildly similar teleport to smoke away/towards but the similarities end there. Assassin Kitana has a similar parry to ex Shake. The amount of characters and variations is overwhelming and I haven't even begun to explore it all.

I'm not looking for someone with a reset or smoke bomb esque move. Just a great anti-zoner with a decent teleport and horizontal mobility. Maybe I'm grasping at straws and what I'm searching for doesn't exist.

MK9 Smoke mains, who are you using in MKX?

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Mained smoke for 3 years, his play style suited me better than any other mk9 character. After going through the MKX roster, I felt most at home with takeda. His rangy normals give him similar spacing abilities, his low Kunai act like a smoke bomb with chip damage, and launch for a combo if enhanced. He's has an armored launching teleport that hit low on the ground or hit overhead if done in the air. He lacks any smoke towards/away equivalent though, other than that I'd say his strengths and weaknesses are almost identical to smokes.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Mained smoke for 3 years, his play style suited me better than any other mk9 character. After going through the MKX roster, I felt most at home with takeda. His rangy normals give him similar spacing abilities, his low Kunai act like a smoke bomb with chip damage, and launch for a combo if enhanced. He's has an armored launching teleport that hit low on the ground or hit overhead if done in the air. He lacks any smoke towards/away equivalent though, other than that I'd say his strengths and weaknesses are almost identical to smokes.
I've messed with Takeda a bit. I really enjoy Shirai Ryu. Ronin requires a little too much micro management and setting up than I'm comfortable with. Shirai Ryu is the only variation with a teleport anyway I believe.

I maimed Smoke, Ermac, and to a much lesser extent, Cyrax in MK9. Perhaps I'll try to pick up Takeda as a secondary to Ermac. I want to start playing competitively this time around so I'm trying to avoid the temptation of maining like 4 or 5 characters and spreading myself too thin.

I was also thinking about displacer Raiden but he doesn't play like Smoke at all. I really like Akuma style teleports and I'm so pissed that no one has anything like it. Thanks for the advice.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
That would be Revenant MKX Smoke, i bet their movesets are pretty similar ;)
Crossing my fingers that we actually get him for DLC soon. It's disheartening that we didn't even get to fight against him in the story. I also hope that he gets a better costume. I know a lot of people hated his hair, but I think all hair looked like shit in MK9. If they do it with a similar texture to Mileena's hair it could be awesome.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
I've messed with Takeda a bit. I really enjoy Shirai Ryu. Ronin requires a little too much micro management and setting up than I'm comfortable with. Shirai Ryu is the only variation with a teleport anyway I believe.

I maimed Smoke, Ermac, and to a much lesser extent, Cyrax in MK9. Perhaps I'll try to pick up Takeda as a secondary to Ermac. I want to start playing competitively this time around so I'm trying to avoid the temptation of maining like 4 or 5 characters and spreading myself too thin.

I was also thinking about displacer Raiden but he doesn't play like Smoke at all. I really like Akuma style teleports and I'm so pissed that no one has anything like it. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, I've done a bit with all his variations, Shirai ryu is probably his most versatile and definitely hits the hardest. If you plan on playing competitively you'll have an uphill battle with displaced raiden, his teleport is super punishable. I'd recommend thunder god if any. Haven't dabbled too much with ermac so I couldn't give an opinion on him, he didn't really feel right for me.

(D7)

I've studied all your moves
I've been casually playing fighters for the last year or two (SF4, KOF13, Skullgirls, and very small bit of MK9) and I have been having a good time with MKX since launch. My biggest problem with the game is that I haven't found a main character/variation that I enjoy. I would describe myself as being the lower end of moderate at MKX, certainly still new but not a complete noob to fighting games in general. I get strings and special cancels and high/low mixups and moves being safe. But things like run cancels and strict timing juggles are beyond me. Are there any characters with decent combo potential that don't have very timing-sensitive juggles/resets AND have good high/low opener options?

And uhh... Also don't have a huge number of strings if possible... I wanted to play Jax (liked him in MK9) but there's no way in hell I can remember all 30-something button combinations he has...

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I've been casually playing fighters for the last year or two (SF4, KOF13, Skullgirls, and very small bit of MK9) and I have been having a good time with MKX since launch. My biggest problem with the game is that I haven't found a main character/variation that I enjoy. I would describe myself as being the lower end of moderate at MKX, certainly still new but not a complete noob to fighting games in general. I get strings and special cancels and high/low mixups and moves being safe. But things like run cancels and strict timing juggles are beyond me. Are there any characters with decent combo potential that don't have very timing-sensitive juggles/resets AND have good high/low opener options?

And uhh... Also don't have a huge number of strings if possible... I wanted to play Jax (liked him in MK9) but there's no way in hell I can remember all 30-something button combinations he has...

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
Everybody has a lot of button combinations, the key is to figure out which of their tools are the main ones you use, then remember 4 or 5. From there you'll start branching off and learning the more specific stuff.

Jax is good if you like him.

It sounds like we have a similar skill level. I have actually been playing with Jax and its going well. Maybe go with his pumped variation and watch Hitbox Tyrant at fatal 8. Youll be able to pick some relatively simple moves from his matches. Also the gotcha grab is easy to do and does a lot of damage. The 1,1,1 string is also very easy.

(D7)

I've studied all your moves
Everybody has a lot of button combinations, the key is to figure out which of their tools are the main ones you use, then remember 4 or 5. From there you'll start branching off and learning the more specific stuff.

Jax is good if you like him.
So far I've been playing mostly Kano and he has like 9-10 strings, way fewer than most characters I think. Started with commando but felt pressured to switch to cutthroat after learning/figuring out that he has no resets/extenders in that variation... Is cutthroat a decent main for a not-too-skilled player? Is there anyone with decidedly better options?

I'm struggling to choose a main. I haven't played yet because I'm awaiting the arrival of my new arcade stick. In mk9 I played Ermac, Kung Lao. In IGAU I played Deathstroke, Superman. And in the SF series I always play Sagat, Cammy. I know MK X is still very young, but some suggestions would be very appreciated

itsmeMOB

Mileena's back!
If you want to continue Kung Lao, I'd say go Tempest for him. It's very close to his MK9 moveset and still VERY good.

Ermac has a difficult learning curve now from what I've heard, but I never used Ermac at all.

I mained Deathstroke in IGAU also, but I don't think there is anyone really similar to his play style in MK X. Someone close to Superman, imo, is probably Jax. If you like interactive grab combos, go Wrestler. Jax also has another variation with a gun and rocket launcher. My personal favorite is Pumped Up, however, if you like Jax, because of the interactive Gotcha grab.

Error Macro

It April yet?
Honestly, play who you like. At the moment most characters are viable. They are still patching in whole moves, so yea. Things can (and probably will) change greatly very soon.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Hi guys, this is my first MK and injustice really brought me knto NRS gamea and was looking for some advice of what characters to try?
I used deathstroke, nightwing, and green lantern, qith NW as my main, but i cant seem to find any chars that suit me yet. does anyone have any recommendations? im used to having a projectile and having full screen pressure, but cam do some decent combos upclose and decent movement speed.

so far ive been playing mileena, but any insight would be appreciated!

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
takeda and kung jin look... kinda lame, but i guess i cojld give them a shot. injustice dlc pls?

my play style is rushdown, but if im full screen i can throw some pressure to force blocking to try to force impatience or a mistake to open them up