What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm of the opinion that a specific variation shouldn't be "mained".

I feel it's better to learn all three variations of your main first, then take on "secondaries" which are other characters who you may only use a single variation of.

Main a character, variations as backups.
Some characters don't have 3 good variations. I main sub zero and johnny cage and there is no reason to invest time into unbreakable or fisticuffs. Stunt double is barely worth using over a list in few matchups.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't keep up much with Reptile news or whatever and I haven't played him since before his buffs but if you want agression then Deceptive (the invisible one, I think) is the way to go.
Awesome, thank you! Ill be taking a few of these recommendations in to practice tonight and see what happens. What is your opinion on Raiden? I really enjoy watching people play him and he appears to be pretty good, should I give him a shot too?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Awesome, thank you! Ill be taking a few of these recommendations in to practice tonight and see what happens. What is your opinion on Raiden? I really enjoy watching people play him and he appears to be pretty good, should I give him a shot too?
I don't really have much of an opinion on Raiden. He struggles in the neutral since he's free to low profiling moves and his overhead is hella unsafe. He gets good corner damage but honestly he doesn't match your description tbh in what your looking for but if you enjoy watching Raiden and want to play him then just do it and practice, practice, practice! :)

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't really have much of an opinion on Raiden. He struggles in the neutral since he's free to low profiling moves and his overhead is hella unsafe. He gets good corner damage but honestly he doesn't match your description tbh in what your looking for but if you enjoy watching Raiden and want to play him then just do it and practice, practice, practice! :)
Nice, and thank you for the honest advice, I appreciate that. Lol I wont keep bothering you after this but what about Kung Lao? He is another character who I enjoy watching, but have never really tried to play myself outside of a tower to see his ending lol does he kind of match what I am looking for or are Kang and Reptile by best bets?

Scott The Scot

Nice, and thank you for the honest advice, I appreciate that. Lol I wont keep bothering you after this but what about Kung Lao? He is another character who I enjoy watching, but have never really tried to play myself outside of a tower to see his ending lol does he kind of match what I am looking for or are Kang and Reptile by best bets?
You're not bothering me, I joined this site to ask questions and now it's my turn to give back to eager folk like yourself :) Lao's a really good choice, you have to make your opponent guess a million times with all the stagers and you can make anything -3 (so entirely safe) and if it hits you can confirm into a full combo + Oki which is pretty mental. He's not hard to pick up, you might enjoy him. Try him and see, it's all about experimenting to see who you like :)

Blade4693

VIVIVI
You're not bothering me, I joined this site to ask questions and now it's my turn to give back to eager folk like yourself :) Lao's a really good choice, you have to make your opponent guess a million times with all the stagers and you can make anything -3 (so entirely safe) and if it hits you can confirm into a full combo + Oki which is pretty mental. He's not hard to pick up, you might enjoy him. Try him and see, it's all about experimenting to see who you like :)
Thank you :) And that's awesome, that's actually what I like to do with Jason a lot, I like to armor through everything, bully people into the corner, then make them guess if im going to overhead into grab/charge hard knockdown, or go for the low/overhead lol so if he is somebody I can make people guess with then ill definitely look into him. What is it that he has to make everything safe? I am just curious so I can be sure to utilize it when I take him into practice :D

Scott The Scot

Thank you :) And that's awesome, that's actually what I like to do with Jason a lot, I like to armor through everything, bully people into the corner, then make them guess if im going to overhead into grab/charge hard knockdown, or go for the low/overhead lol so if he is somebody I can make people guess with then ill definitely look into him. What is it that he has to make everything safe? I am just curious so I can be sure to utilize it when I take him into practice :D
The regular hat spin (DB1), it makes anything safe and if it hits then you can get a combo off it. I'm not much of a Lao player, you should probably go to the Lao forums now so you know everything you hear is correct. I've learned my lesson on trying to talk about characters I don't play well :p

Blade4693

VIVIVI
The regular hat spin (DB1), it makes anything safe and if it hits then you can get a combo off it. I'm not much of a Lao player, you should probably go to the Lao forums now so you know everything you hear is correct. I've learned my lesson on trying to talk about characters I don't play well :p
ISo he can combo into the spin? Awesome lol I haven't touched Lao since MK2 and UMK3/MKT so I really don't know how he plays. Thank you for all of your help and tips, I really appreciate it :)

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Currently Slasher is my main, and im going to stick with him but sometimes I find myself really struggling with him so I am looking for another character to use to have as a back up. I am not sure who I should pick and really stick with though. I am looking for a character that I can play aggressively/rushdown and pressure my opponent with, but that also has a projectile (or a teleport) to help me deal with zoners when my opponent manages to create a gap between us.

Any recommendations?

Note - I am trying to stay away from a few characters though, I don't want to play Tanya, Shinnok, Qaun Chi, Cage family, Briggs family, Kotal, or Kano lol
It's a shame you don't want any Cage family members because A-List Johnny sounds absolutely perfect for you.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
It's a shame you don't want any Cage family members because A-List Johnny sounds absolutely perfect for you.
Really? I could give him a shot. I have played around with Johnny a bit here and there but never actually tried learning him. I am not totally against him (or any character) I just wanted to kind of narrow it down with characters I really like first , that's all lol

Scott The Scot

ISo he can combo into the spin? Awesome lol I haven't touched Lao since MK2 and UMK3/MKT so I really don't know how he plays. Thank you for all of your help and tips, I really appreciate it :)
Yeah you can do something like 11212~Hat Spin and if it hits you can link a 44 (2 frame link, not that hard if you practice) or F2 etc.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Lasher takeda doesnt really have any run cancels, i use my stamina in lasher for running after combos or backdashing

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
MoS Ermac is a good bet if you like MK9 style characters. Any run cancel combos are completely superfluous, even at the highest level.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
stop being a crybaby and just choose someone. You already understand the game, you know 8 characters, you play in tournaments, what's the problem? That's really all it takes is one single post is going to make you choose your main? Makes no sense to me.

That being said, choose Jax.

Agreed. Perhaps another variation of Jax is the OP's answer?

Jax wins them all over, eventually.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Gay spinning man is very easy (bojutsu). Kotal doesn't have many run cancels but some of his links are kind of tight, like triple F2 combos and the timing on B14 during juggles.

Cameronwinss

Hay gurl hay
Kung Lao and Jin are pretty easy characters . Sonya as well is easy covert ops is a great variation to get warmed up to her. Tanya as well.

I am interested in Kenshi, Ermac, Quan Chi, and Shinnok. I'm having a hard time deciding which of these characters I should main. Can you elaborate on these characters and how they play? It will make it easier for me to discern which character really suits me.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I am interested in Kenshi, Ermac, Quan Chi, and Shinnok. I'm having a hard time deciding which of these characters I should main. Can you elaborate on these characters and how they play? It will make it easier for me to discern which character really suits me.
Who is your favorite character? Like the one you relate most to or just love the lore of?

Matix218

Get over here!
Quan and shinnok are much stronger than kenshi and ermac in general. Quan is all about zoning and vortex setups (at least in summoner) but struggles to get off the ground. Shinnok is also a strong zoner as well and has three solid variations (as does quan). Ermac generally is considered to have only one worthwhile variation (mos) and even that variation had its struggles (must take many risks). Kenshi is generally regarded as low tier in mkx but he is getting some changes most likely when kp2 patch hits so he may improve.

That being said just play the one you enjoy playing most.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Ermac - High risk, high reward. 50-50s with big damage.
Quan- Best offense in the game, worst defense in the game.
Shinnok- Excellent space control, zoning, and pressure in bone shaper but no damage, great zoning in necro, and imposter has good damage and a vortex but it's really matchup dependent.
Kenshi- Dunno how to describe him he's weird lol.