What's new

The Need Help Choosing Main/Secondary Character Discussion Thread

Skedar70

Noob
Right Kotal is so easy to use that any scrub picks him up and does well and that is why we see many of those. Keep trying characters until you feel you have a favorite one.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Dronya is pretty defense-oriented due to the drones ability to act defensively to stop opponent momentum, but I can't speak to her footsies.

I am playing more and more Takeda myself, though I'm still a Kotal main. I don't see SR Takeda as defensive exactly but I feel like he has a footsie-style gameplan. At least at my level of skill he's about very smart space control and positioning, whiff punishing, being on-point with your hit confirms and understanding your MUs, stuff that's typically filed under 'fundamentals'. Easy execution too, though his combos and setups are more about the correct timing that complex buttons.

Just a thought, Takeda feels different nthan anyone else (to me) so he may be worth checking out if the other styles didn't stand out.

Have you looked in to Shinnok at all? He's obviously quite good and from what I read, has a nuetral/footsie based offense.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
If you want to be centered around footsies I recommend Commando Kano or Cybernetic.

Or Sun God/Blood God Kotal Kahn.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
i was gonna also say Kano but i know the Kano community is kinda on the fence about just how good he is..

but i will say that Takeda vs Kano is like my fav match up because of the footsies .

also, respect to Kano players cause most i play online will play full and long sets.. most time i run into a kano, we can get in at least 15+ matches striaght

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Right Kotal is so easy to use that any scrub picks him up and does well and that is why we see many of those. Keep trying characters until you feel you have a favorite one.
Kotal is easy to pick up- but IMO that can be said about everyone in the game.. but just "picking up" kotal isnt gonna be enough, if you dont pick up the understanding of his spacing also , he can be pretty much just a punching bag for more than half the cast. which is why a lot of "scrubs" will drop him just as fast.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Kotal is easy to pick up- but IMO that can be said about everyone in the game.. but just "picking up" kotal isnt gonna be enough, if you dont pick up the understanding of his spacing also , he can be pretty much just a punching bag for more than half the cast. which is why a lot of "scrubs" will drop him just as fast.
This right here. Kotal (at least War God) is a very easy character to use and he's not really all that flashy imo. This also means that the person using the character must be fundamentally sound and good with reads in a game where braindead pressure and safe 50/50s exist. Oh, and Hish Qu Ten Predator smh...

Rocket

For the Shirai Ryu.
Ninjutsu scorpion is good for footsies, any takeda variation, kotal khunt, any d'vorah variation, kenshi is a damn well dreadful character so don't even with him, quan chi has good footsies with his f2 or whatever the fuck it is, kung jin, and ferra/torr exclusively in the order of best to worst (in my opinion) is, quan chi, ninjutsu scorpion (he's after chi because can't remember but either scorpions f2 or b2 is -17 or some shit, just saying i ain't sure so don't be some rude fuck who will not only correct but will criticize as well), takeda, kung jin, khunt, d'vorah, ferra and then kenshi so if footsies is your game then you somewhat know who to pick.

stop being a crybaby and just choose someone. You already understand the game, you know 8 characters, you play in tournaments, what's the problem? That's really all it takes is one single post is going to make you choose your main? Makes no sense to me.

That being said, choose Jax.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Currently Slasher is my main, and im going to stick with him but sometimes I find myself really struggling with him so I am looking for another character to use to have as a back up. I am not sure who I should pick and really stick with though. I am looking for a character that I can play aggressively/rushdown and pressure my opponent with, but that also has a projectile (or a teleport) to help me deal with zoners when my opponent manages to create a gap between us.

Any recommendations?

Note - I am trying to stay away from a few characters though, I don't want to play Tanya, Shinnok, Qaun Chi, Cage family, Briggs family, Kotal, or Kano lol

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Liu is definitely your best option. I know you said you don't like Quan, but Warlock also fits your description too. Plus on block 50/50s, great footsies with B2, great zoning and counter-zoning with skulls, rune and his boot and he has an 11f armored launcher.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Liu Kang is pretty much spot on for what you want then. Honestly I'd say start and stick with DF, FF is more fun, but SF~WP is a nightmare for me.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Yeah I was thinking Liu was probably close to what I was looking for. Ill definitely take him into practice tonight and experiment with him. What about Raiden?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Liu is definitely your best option. I know you said you don't like Quan, but Warlock also fits your description too. Plus on block 50/50s, great footsies with B2, great zoning and counter-zoning with skulls, rune and his boot and he has an 11f armored launcher.
Is that the one where he can do spells and summon those ground things he can stand in for buffs and stuff?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Well, Jasons pokes suck and so does Liu Kangs so I was going to suggest maybe someone who's a little faster than Kang etc. Perhaps Reptile is what you're looking for. He has projectiles, rushdown, mixups, armoured moves. He's perfect!

I'm of the opinion that a specific variation shouldn't be "mained".

I feel it's better to learn all three variations of your main first, then take on "secondaries" which are other characters who you may only use a single variation of.

Main a character, variations as backups.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Well, Jasons pokes suck and so does Liu Kangs so I was going to suggest maybe someone who's a little faster than Kang etc. Perhaps Reptile is what you're looking for. He has projectiles, rushdown, mixups, armoured moves. He's perfect!
Which variation do you think I should try? Noxious would probably be the one I would go to, but I have seen some people do really well with Deceptive recently too.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Which variation do you think I should try? Noxious would probably be the one I would go to, but I have seen some people do really well with Deceptive recently too.
I don't keep up much with Reptile news or whatever and I haven't played him since before his buffs but if you want agression then Deceptive (the invisible one, I think) is the way to go.