What's new

The MKX PS4 pad Depression Thread - This pad is a problem

Are you experiencing the same issues w the ps4 too?

• Total voters

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I just ordered line for ps4. Thanks for the info guys I just wish they had one for xbone also but thanks can't wait to try it.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Honestly in this game I think it's MKX, I played Uniel, MK9, and injustice on PS3/PS4 and never had a problem with back forward and forward jumps until now. I even played GGXRD and still had no issue. I honestly am starting to think that it's an NRS issue. But honestly just pressing back and forward and the button usually works. You have to avoid sliding your fingers to get the move to come out.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
i have no problems with the pad. my thumbs get tired or cramped from playing at times for long periods. but it only happens on this game or games where I'm pressing buttons really fast. both on the d-pad and the buttons. for example I can't do handheld systems hardly at all. other than that I have no problems I just take a break and a percocet and get back to action after my hands have rested. I'm also ambidextrous if that matters.

This PS4 d-pad is completely compromising my ability and skill as a player. Physically, I'm doing all my inputs correctly on the controller. The problem is when I do something like FB or BF on the d-pad in quick succession, it'll throw in a jump or duck for some reason as if I was pressing up or down...when I most clearly only hit the left or right d-pad buttons.

I tested the suspected hardware blunder by placing both of my thumbs on the LEFT and RIGHT d-pad button ONLY and pressed them consecutively in the Practice Mode. What happened? I started pressing back and forth slowly and then quickly amped up the speed. As I went faster with my thumbs, the inputs that were being displayed on-screen was absolutely insane, lmfao. Up, down, left, right, and diagonals in every direction just from pressing left and right with my thumbs really fast. The same thing happens when you try any combination of two d-pad buttons fast, you just get a bunch of random directions. Basically, the d-pad ispunishing me for using it fast.

Do I have a defective controller or is this honestly how the d-pad works?

LockM

Noob
Rolling the thumb over the dpad to get the bf inputs isn't ideal at all for the DS4, you'll end up hitting other inputs especially in the heat of the moment. You basically have to tap the back and forward seperatley to get the ideal input. It isn't a fast as rolling the thumb bit it's a lot cleaner.

Rolling the thumb over the dpad to get the bf inputs isn't ideal at all for the DS4, you'll end up hitting other inputs especially in the heat of the moment. You basically have to tap the back and forward seperatley to get the ideal input. It isn't a fast as rolling the thumb bit it's a lot cleaner.
It is a HARDWARE FLAW, as I've previously determined. Try it in practice mode, just hit left and right really fast with your thumbs and look at the inputs that come up.

LockM

Noob
It is a HARDWARE FLAW, as I've previously determined. Try it in practice mode, just hit left and right really fast with your thumbs and look at the inputs that come up.
No it isn't. Eventhough the DS4 d-pad layout is of 4 different "buttons", they are actually a part of one solid piece of plastic. What this means is that it is possible to get a diagonal input without actually touching the the "up". Press either left or right hard and the press upwards without touching the up...

That is NORMAL.

No it isn't. Eventhough the DS4 d-pad layout is of 4 different "buttons", they are actually a part of one solid piece of plastic. What this means is that it is possible to get a diagonal input without actually touching the the "up". Press either left or right hard and the press upwards without touching the up...

That is NORMAL.
I'm not inquiring about why diagonal inputs exist. I'm simply saying, not only does the application of the d-pad work correctly at high speed, but it has a physical bug that can be exploited (which I've explained twice at this point) and used to prove that there is something wrong with the d-pad.
All my stuff comes out perfect, right when i want it to. But w/e i'm not here to argue.
I'm happy for you and I'm not here to argue either. A significant number of people have this issue and I just want a solution.

LockM

Noob
I'm not inquiring about why diagonal inputs exist. I'm simply saying, not only does the application of the d-pad work correctly at high speed, but it has a physical bug that can be exploited (which I've explained twice at this point) and used to prove that there is something wrong with the d-pad.

I'm happy for you and I'm not here to argue either. A significant number of people have this issue and I just want a solution.
I explained WHY you got the up or down inputs even when only pressing either back or forward. I wasn't explaining why diagonal inputs existed, i explained why you would get them in the first place without ever touching the up or down inputs directly. There is no way around it, it always happens when playing with a D-Pad that is made up of one solid piece of plastic. It is the same for PS3, X360, XO controllers.

I did your líttle "test" with a PS4, 360 and PS3 controller, they all had the same "problem".
Solution, be more clean with your inputs or switch to a stick or even better, a hitbox.

This test of yours, think about it properly. You are exerting a lot of force with your two thumbs and at some points when you do it fast enough both thumbs are hitting the dpad at the same time, where does the force go as the solid piece of plastic is leaning on a centerpoint. it can't bend to both left and right at the same time, can it? So it goes UP or DOWN. And as a result uou get either a duck or diagonal jump when trying a bf or fb input.

So in short, no, it isn't a hardware fault.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Has anyone on ps4 hade there DS4 R2 trigger peg/hinge break under the full movement of visious blocking??

lets start off by saying i mash it hard! probably harder than i should.

but in my defense,
i still have my ps1, ps2 and ps3 controllers, mint condition other than the normal back sticker wear. all buttons operational. and they survived relentless 7 year olds and up!

back to the DS4:

3 of them down, one trigger fell out due to hinge and peg breaking, may be just a faulty build on just all 3 of my controllers, could be how i press them down, all i know is it is made of cheap plastic, with no metal like the DS3's.

does anyone have any tricks?

here is what ive tried so far:

sending them to sony only to have that one break as well... and pay shipping every time.

bestbuy and gamestop require insurance on each one, basically same deal as sony!

then i tried pulling spring out, dont do it, it will randomly block.

then i drilled a hole through where pegs where and inserted a metal replica of the pegs, dont do it... it will simply rub and wear and tear all the cheap housing that holds it.

Does trigger stops work?

or maybe some other idea?

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Quick question... [Been playing my xbone version, but I do own MKX on PS4] Will a PS3 pad work with the whole backwards compatible MKX feature. And if so... Heard a PS4 pad has to be connected, that's fine. But, can it be connected to the player two slot allowing it to charge while I use the PS3 pad on the player one side. Thx...

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
@Pig Of The Hut

Sorry to see you're having issues man. I have zero problems with the PS4 controllers and find them very comfortable, when not using stick. Even fast and complex motions like Liu Kang's fireball run-cancel combos are no problem. I've never jumped by accident when attempting to B,F. Maybe just use a stick? Considering how fast B,F is on a stick, I've been thinking of using stick full time.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I have the jump problem with Scorpions fireball cancela going forward sometimes..
But whats also weird is when im waking up with a down back move, theyll most likely wake up backdashing.. Idgi.

Matix218

Get over here!
Honestly in this game I think it's MKX, I played Uniel, MK9, and injustice on PS3/PS4 and never had a problem with back forward and forward jumps until now. I even played GGXRD and still had no issue. I honestly am starting to think that it's an NRS issue. But honestly just pressing back and forward and the button usually works. You have to avoid sliding your fingers to get the move to come out.
I play on pad but my brother plays on stick and the other day I tested specifically the forward jump issue on his 8 gate stick. I found that I could literally jam the stick into the diagonal corner of the 8 gate and if I started the motion more on the "vertical" than on the "right" ever so slightly (even with the stick going straight into the diagonal) the game would still register neutral jump 100% of the time. It is the game being too strict with directional inputs and that same issue is what is causing the bf problem. If you are ever so slightly off it will register the direction differently. Its worse with the jump ins though imo, that is insanely strict especially for stick users

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Quick question... [Been playing my xbone version, but I do own MKX on PS4] Will a PS3 pad work with the whole backwards compatible MKX feature. And if so... Heard a PS4 pad has to be connected, that's fine. But, can it be connected to the player two slot allowing it to charge while I use the PS3 pad on the player one side. Thx...
Official ps3 dual shock pad wont work.

I bought the hori ps4 pad. Who else has this pad? I also noticed there was no touchpad so how do you reset positions in training mode? From what I have heard is that the original ps1/ps2 pads were actually made by the company hori, but don't quote me on that.