What's new

The Last Son of Krypton -- Superman General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronos411

Last Kyptonian of VA
Yah Raynex is spot on I feel. Also on the super getting a 4% damage nerf. Who cares about that either. Once i get super you still have to respect that I can punish almost everything in the game. I guess they just wanted to nerf him for the sake of saying "look we nerfed superman are yall happy now?" but really none of what they changed will really matter. Like Raynex said it might even end up being better for us because people will think they have a better chance to beat it now for some reason. Also the D2 buff will only help Supes. Im excited to see how much better it is.

tazzmission

Banned
that is just sad

original story

TMZ.com has reported that C.M. Punk has gotten a restraining order against his mother, claiming she is constantly hitting him up for money and then threatens to kill herself if he turns her down. Punk, in legal documents, said he was trying to break off his relationship with his mother for more than a year due to years of abusive, harassing, and threatening behavior. He claims his mother suffers from being bipolar.

He said he's given her more than $100,000, but she became abusive and threatening when he told her he was cutting her off. She unleashed a barrage of e-mails about how he didn't care about his family, and threatened to release embarrassing information about Punk's arrests while he was in high school. He also claimed his mother threatened suicide to him at least four times last year.

Punk got a temporary restraining order against his mother on June 10th, and will be in court Wednesday trying to get a long-term restraining order against her.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/31943-punk-gets-restrainig-order-against-mother

updated today

CM Punk was granted a two-year restraining order against his mother after she allegedly bombarded him with threats, according to TMZ.

The ruling extended a temporary restraining order requested by Punk. He also requested that his mother be banned from WWE events, but it's unclear if the judge signed off on that request as well.

http://ringsidenews.com/article/10485/cm-punk-granted-2-year-restraining-order-against-mother/

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I sympathize with him...if you guys could hear my voice mail you would know that not all moms are well....

If you have a great relationship with your parents cherish it.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
While all of this is speculative, it's funny to see what kind of attachment some of your friends and family insist on when you make something of yourself. The guy puts his own health at risk 300+ nights a year all over the world and his mother wants to kill herself over not having more than a hundred fucking thousand dollars handed to her on a silver platter? The fuck is wrong with this world?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I sympathize with him...if you guys could hear my voice mail you would know that not all moms are well....

If you have a great relationship with your parents cherish it.

It's sadly one of the things taken too much for granted.

This was my friend's reaction last year from getting Dr Dre Beatz, 1-year XBL Gold Subscription and $60 as b-day presents from his parents: "My parents don't love me because they didn't give me the iPhone I wanted"

My reaction to him saying that:

na man he did a documentary last year called best in the world going into detail that he and his family never got along. his dad was a drunk and his brother stole thousands of dollars from him. its quite a amazing documentary
It really is. The best wwe DVD I've seen.

tazzmission

Banned
It really is. The best wwe DVD I've seen.

its my top 2nd next to beyond the mat.

alot of people who dont understand pro wrestling have no idea on how alot of these guys were outside the ring. hell i saw jake roberts documentary and man no wonder he turned to drugs and booze

here is a guy who was at the peak of his career and he wishes he dies or he would be like why couldnt that be me if a fellow wrestler died

im just glad hes clean right now despite the small mistep he just did

The guy puts his own health at risk 300+ nights a year all over the world and his mother wants to kill herself over not having more than a hundred fucking thousand dollars handed to her on a silver platter? The fuck is wrong with this world?
You'd be surprised at the things that are wrong with the humans of this planet; this unfortunate situation with CM Punk is just one example.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
It's sadly one of the things taken too much for granted.

This was my friend's reaction last year from getting Dr Dre Beatz, 1-year XBL Gold Subscription and $60 as b-day presents from his parents: "My parents don't love me because they didn't give me the iPhone I wanted"

My reaction to him saying that:
that kids fuckin spoiled then, shit when he hits the real world it's gonna knock him on his ass.

I've a question for Raynex. How do you open good players with superman? I mean most good players only block low against superman because his overheads are so slow that they can change the block mid animation. So how do you open good players with good characters like batman, aquaman and so on if they only block low? what would be the fastes overhead? because 223 and f3 doesn't seem to work and if i jump they usually catch me with a regular string without even jumping. I found that with d1 throw or d1 scoop sometimes i can get in, but i want to hit confirm f23 or 223 in order to do my best combos. What can i do? If they only keep blocking low? @Raynex

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
the key to opening up good players is universal, you have to keep them guessing. Dont get stuck in a pattern. Superman is great at whiff punishing, since he has the fastest mid hitting string in the game. Grabbing is highly underrated, especially with superman. once you start doing that more, and they catch on, they have to make a read, as do you. If they try to tech the throw, and you go for a string instead, you're blowing them up for 40+% damage. try using different strings instead. F2D13 is highly underrated, Try experimenting with different things, like F23~backdash, F2D13 (untechable knockdown), F23BLOCK, then d1 into b1 etc etc. then throw out the occasional f23~breath. don't loop with it, people know how to blow it up, and its generally brain dead gameplay that you should be punished for anyway (unless your opponent doesnt know how to get out of it, then too bad for them abuse it till they figure it out...or don't.)

the key to opening up good players is universal, you have to keep them guessing. Dont get stuck in a pattern. Superman is great at whiff punishing, since he has the fastest mid hitting string in the game. Grabbing is highly underrated, especially with superman. once you start doing that more, and they catch on, they have to make a read, as do you. If they try to tech the throw, and you go for a string instead, you're blowing them up for 40+% damage. try using different strings instead. F2D13 is highly underrated, Try experimenting with different things, like F23~backdash, F2D13 (untechable knockdown), F23BLOCK, then d1 into b1 etc etc. then throw out the occasional f23~breath. don't loop with it, people know how to blow it up, and its generally brain dead gameplay that you should be punished for anyway (unless your opponent doesnt know how to get out of it, then too bad for them abuse it till they figure it out...or don't.)
The problem with f2d13 is that if it gets blocked, you can't use the 3, it stops at f2d1. Every string can be blocked low, excep 223 and that one is so slow that a good player blocks the overhead easily. Throwing is good, but that doesn't stop your opponent to block low forever and use tech throw without keeping blocking low, so I don't know how to connect that 40% string you are talking if the opponent blocks low forever and use tech throw. Good players only tech throws after getting grabbed so he doesn't need to let go the low block.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
You can cancel your strings with MB overhead as well and on block they can't punish you for it (generalization of course). That's also why I said mix it up. There's no formula to what I'm saying, you have to practice with it.

Sent from my iPhone

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
I've a question for Raynex. How do you open good players with superman? I mean most good players only block low against superman because his overheads are so slow that they can change the block mid animation. So how do you open good players with good characters like batman, aquaman and so on if they only block low? what would be the fastes overhead? because 223 and f3 doesn't seem to work and if i jump they usually catch me with a regular string without even jumping. I found that with d1 throw or d1 scoop sometimes i can get in, but i want to hit confirm f23 or 223 in order to do my best combos. What can i do? If they only keep blocking low? @Raynex
As one of the best characters in the game, Superman isn't one with too many weaknesses. You have to first come to terms with the only real downside to playing him: he doesn't have tricky ways of landing hits at neutral during the stand up / footsies game. His only stand-alone overhead is a sluggish 30 frames, so you must understand then that Superman really has no good overhead. Do NOT focus on using overheads when they block low, it doesn't work because its too easy to react to. Superman needs to utilize some pretty unconventional methods to open up skilled players. Alright, here we go.

- xQUANTUMx hit it on the head. GRAB GRAB GRAB. Why is grab so important, even when they're low blocking and doing nothing? Because it is one of the only ways, in ANY fighting game, to elicit a response by forcing your opponent to press buttons to break the throw. Throws force action, which means if you condition them to expect it by having a healthy throw game and peppering it in unexpectedly, they will naturally have to open their defenses more to deal with it. Once your throw game evolves you'll find 10+ more holes to F23 / punish because you've established the threat of throw. In my experience, I think it's best to create your own throw setups so you have a whole slew of situations you can use it in. Don't always set it up with D1~throw. Dash in and do it, B3 then do it while they're in blockstun. Heat zap then throw. F2~trait~throw. F3 / B3 charge dash cancel throw. Superman has to use his throw more than most characters in Injustice (yet no one does and I don't know why) because his mix-up is sub-par. It's simple, effective, and gets you hits once you learn to manipulate throw break situations!

- Opening them up isn't always necessary. If their life bar is low and you only need about 20-30%, activate trait and start doing heat zaps / [MB] heat visions. It increases chip damage: Heat zap does 6+% if its blocked, [MB] heat vision does either 3 or 4%. A few of those and your opponent will come towards you on your own accord, annoyed by your high chip zoning. Getting clipped is bad for them, I think trait powered Heat zap does more than 10%! If they cross the screen with jumps or forward dashes, you can AA or punish the dashes with F23.

- Opening them up isn't always necessary, part 2. Any string into breath or heat zap effectively pushes your opponent to the corner. I remember posting something about this the other day. Think about it like you're two boxers in a boxing ring. All of you must have seen this scenario before: boxer A bullies boxer B with a flurry of punches and corners them. Boxer B puts his hands up in defense but continues to get hammered by a rain of punches, ref goes in to split them up and stop the massacre. Pushing your opponent to the corner is a huge advantage for you, and whether you're opening them up or not you are still doing chip damage plus gaining positional advantage all the while. Once the corner comes into play they have to get out immediately otherwise they risk getting tagged by "a flurry of punches" aka 50%-72% combos. That's why people pushblock (they blow a meter, win for you), jump (AA them, win for you), start trying to interrupt pressure (whiff punish with F23, win for you), do nothing (keep going ham / throw / B1~[MB] Breath / etc). Accept that people like to block alot sometimes, but do not mistake that for NEGATIVE. With Superman it can be a good thing, even with his shitty mix-up. It all depends on where you are on the stage!

- Don't bounce cancel for mix-ups. Wasting two bars for a reactable 30 frame overhead makes no sense, there are better uses for meter.

- This is by far the most important thing to remember. Superman has the easiest time opening up opponents when he creates hard knockdown situations. Okay, so his stand up game is bland...but his oki game is great. Cross-up overhead dives, safe B1 combo starters, air dash mix-ups, solid grab range, and I haven't even gotten into the corner shenanigans with cross-up F3s, cross up dashes and the like. Your aim with Superman is to hit them once, make them either hit the floor (hard knockdown) or corner them (flying punch if close) and mix them up on wake-up until they die. This is where Superman shines! I could go on and on about hard knockdowns but I'm sure you get the idea. Practice your setups so that every knockdown gives you the opportunity to run a tricky mix-up and land a hit for 40+%. Superman doesn't win matches by hitting you many times, his mix-up is too shit for that to happen. He wins by being patient, hitting you once or twice then UNLOADING damage. His big damage is the reward you get for patience and a well rehearsed and varied knockdown game, complete with tricky setups.

I'll be adding more points to this when my hands recover from all this typing. There is more I want to share about opening up opponents and general Superman theory.

Getting More Mileage out of F23

Whiff punishing with F23 is fantastic, but everyone and their mother knows its coming so as time goes on and players improve it will be less and less effective. It is still the crutch of his mid-range game, so regardless of how often it comes up you must always be ready. My first point is likely one you already know, if they press anything in F23 range, whiff punish.

To expand on this and make F23 more effective, I've had to change my thinking a bit. Some players will F23 at their opponent regardless of what they are doing. If they get in range, they do it because they either get a combo or start a blockstring. No risk right? Every single decision you make affects the outcome of later situations. If you F23 like an idiot and throw it out and literally EVERY opportunity possible, your hit ratio won't be too high. Sure you might hit their block, but then we get stuck in the scenario you hate so much M-Aran-X, how do we open them up from here? The answer is to save your F23 and not use it as often. stop forcing yourself to hit their block, because once you do its hard to open them up. It has INSANE range, is very quick and leads to a full combo. It will connect twice as much if your opponent is focusing on other things and not expecting it.

Keeping your opponents mind off F23 to make it more effective:

- Do more heat zap more, especially at mid-range. It is +19 on block which means it has virtually no recovery. If they avoid it by crouching you can still F23 and beat out anything they press. Some opponents might feel the need to dash forward after blocking one from farther away. You can punish all dash in attempts With F23 on a read; this will come up more often than you think.

- Walk in close, then walk back. Don't hit a single button and DON'T F23 just to hit their block. Remember once they block F23, Superman's mix-up is ass. Ease in slowly and be patient, then float back like a boss. Float in REALLY close if you're brave enough. Most people cannot handle Superman coming in close, they panic and do something. Watch for jumps (dash under F23), and watch for limbs they stick out (whiff punish F23). Because every Superman on the planet does F23, they will expect it and act sporadically in fear of it. They might backdash or jump or [MB] something, and THAT'S when you strike. Use F23 reactively, adopt a samurai mindset and break your opponent with the fear of F23 without actually using it! (If they have the composure to do nothing when you're that close, then congratulations you've gotten into close range spacing for absolutely zero cost because of solid mindgames)

- Refrain from starting all blockstrings with F23. Use B23~breath, 3~breath, 3~zap B2~zap, 22~breath, etc. Keeping it varied, visually, is always a good thing. By giving them a pattern to recognize (F23~breath) you are preparing them for pressure and they will be more comfortable while you do it. Don't let them get comfortable. Especially with the zap strings (they are interruptable obviously) which play on your opponents fear and passiveness: if you do zap in a string and they block low (zap whiffs) you can still F23 and beat out a ton of shit because of its non-existant recovery. If it gets blocked you're +19, so you can grab / [MB] B3 or F3 for more block advantage / B1~[MB] Breath SAFE LOW combo starter / another zap / B23~zap or breath. You get the picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.