What's new

The history of the Modern MK Community : Part I

CRKFIEND

Noob
I'll be shocked if he's not in MK 10(next MK game) since that will cover Mk 4, MK DA, and probably MK D plus they want to introduce newer characters too Boon said. I hope Shujinko gets in there.
He's one of the few "Mid-era MK" guys I enjoyed. I really didn't care that he stole everybody's special moves, BUT his design was pretty sweet, unlike some of the other characters.. COUGH* HSU HAO *COUGH

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
MKST blows me up as a fraud for not making top 8 at EVO in MK9, but fails to mention that I was a consistent top 8 placer throughout the entire life of the game. Considers me avg in MK9 with avg accomplishments. If this is the case, then 95% of the other top players are below avg lol.

Blows me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in IGAU but fails to mention anything that I did accomplish thus far.

While blowing me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in MK9 or IGAU(yet), he also calls me a fraud in DOA4.. where I DID place top 8 at EVO. However, because it doesn't fit into his "fraud" point, he decides to not mention it. Not only was I top 8 at EVO in DOA4, I also placed top 5 at a D.I.D 3 and DOATEC of which all of the very best players were in attendance. However, he fails to mention EVO or any other major where I placed high.

MKST simply talks about when I fail and highlights it. The site doesn't talk about what i did/do accomplish. The site may not necessarily lie, it just isn't telling the whole truth.
I thought that was the whole point of the MKST site? Taking things with small kernels of truth and either exaggerating, misrepresenting, or outright lying about people because of some past butthurtedness. I haven't been involved with MK websites anything above casual and even I could tell that MKST was likely 99.5% bullshit.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Wow. This list man. Brings back memories of MKD online. I actually had quite a lot of fun on it. One player I would add to the list would be a dude named ChimageOrange. I have no idea what this guy has been up to, but we played HUNDREDS of games. The guy was good with numerous characters, which is always cool to see, because usually I settle down with 2-or-so per game that I really enjoy.

I wish I had the time to play MK9 like I did MKD, but man does life happen ;) .
Ha, I know how that goes. I have far less time to play MK these days. I have maybe 4,000 matches online in MK9. And you are right that Shujinko was a well designed character and his story was interesting too. So were pretty much all newcomers in MKDA/MKD. I loved Bo Rai Cho, he reminded me of the typical drunken master in all of those awesome Hong Kong action movies from the 70's. I also like Hotaru, Havik, Kira, and even Kobra. Ashra was awesome too. Hsu Hao was ok imo. The only ones I didn't care for were Li Mei and Darrius. The gameplay was innovative and fun too, albeit horribly unbalanced. I liked the concept of switching between 3 different fighting styles and the toned down air kombat.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Haha, no problem man. EVO was crazy, everybody was going somewhere all the time, there was so much to see.

Yea, MKD was a great game. I wouldn't mind a remake with updated graphics and balanced gameplay.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
MKST is a fun read although there is trash in every community, perhaps not as bad as MK. Someone should do a trash site about SRK.

I think the OP is just salty because the MKST guy beat him 10-0 at MKA and put the video on his YT. :p

Im certainly not salty over a FT10 that happened almost a decade ago. It was fun watching that though, makes me miss Li Mei, and certainly not miss the awful lag in that game lol

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
MKST blows me up as a fraud for not making top 8 at EVO in MK9, but fails to mention that I was a consistent top 8 placer throughout the entire life of the game. Considers me avg in MK9 with avg accomplishments. If this is the case, then 95% of the other top players are below avg lol.

Blows me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in IGAU but fails to mention anything that I did accomplish thus far.

While blowing me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in MK9 or IGAU(yet), he also calls me a fraud in DOA4.. where I DID place top 8 at EVO. However, because it doesn't fit into his "fraud" point, he decides to not mention it. Not only was I top 8 at EVO in DOA4, I also placed top 5 at a D.I.D 3 and DOATEC of which all of the very best players were in attendance. However, he fails to mention EVO or any other major where I placed high.

MKST simply talks about when I fail and highlights it. The site doesn't talk about what i did/do accomplish. The site may not necessarily lie, it just isn't telling the whole truth.
To fully support your argument, I'd suggest changing your name back to Tom Brady.

RoGE

Noob
Iori9 was my old name and I was late as fuck but I did keep with the MKO online communities abit, the last thing I remember was during the MKD days was horribleblack's final post lol. I actually did play a bit of MKD online on the xbox I think my tag was pozin9 or some shit, it was only for a month.

The game I started REALLY playing people online in was MKA on PS2, I was a really annoying sub player who would turtle his ass off, abusing free throws and ice clones etc. There was a MASSIVE amount of scrubs in MKA, you couldn't do anything without hearing someone cry about it being cheap and dishonorable. Yes the 3d MK games are TERRIBLE fighting games but they were fun. Also loved playing umk3 on kailera (even though lag was terrible lol)

I remember:
-the drama on MKO, the fact that people moved to MKC because the mods were dicks who would make a debatable point then close the thread
-PS2 vs xbox community
-JTF flipping out (from what I hear) and closing MKAC, thus creating MKU
-pink ranger banning MKF30 for having a different opinion than her.
-Pig and mesofly's training video
-Crow being a really chill mod
-MKU vs. TYM, both sides were doing stupid shit

JTF actually use to send me PM's a lot on MKC, tbh I never had an issue with the guy, I guess I can however see where people are coming from.

I should check up on MKU/MKO again, haven't posted on those sites in forever.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Iori9 was my old name and I was late as fuck but I did keep with the MKO online communities abit, the last thing I remember was during the MKD days was horribleblack's final post lol. I actually did play a bit of MKD online on the xbox I think my tag was pozin9 or some shit, it was only for a month.

The game I started REALLY playing people online in was MKA on PS2, I was a really annoying sub player who would turtle his ass off, abusing free throws and ice clones etc. There was a MASSIVE amount of scrubs in MKA, you couldn't do anything without hearing someone cry about it being cheap and dishonorable. Yes the 3d MK games are TERRIBLE fighting games but they were fun. Also loved playing umk3 on kailera (even though lag was terrible lol)

I remember:
-the drama on MKO, the fact that people moved to MKC because the mods were dicks who would make a debatable point then close the thread
-PS2 vs xbox community
-JTF flipping out (from what I hear) and closing MKAC, thus creating MKU
-pink ranger banning MKF30 for having a different opinion than her.
-Pig and mesofly's training video
-Crow being a really chill mod
-MKU vs. TYM, both sides were doing stupid shit

JTF actually use to send me PM's a lot on MKC, tbh I never had an issue with the guy, I guess I can however see where people are coming from.

I should check up on MKU/MKO again, haven't posted on those sites in forever.

I hated that bitch....lol she banned EVERYONE who disagreed with her. But I think someone else said this already about her on the first page...

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I legit used to think when I was younger that the only scene MK had was the guys on UMK3 online that hated MK9 because it didn't have digitized actors.

Back when the 3D MK's were out, Mustard and I would just play it with each other and just dial in existing strings, unsafe or not. Didn't have an internet connection back then though, so online wasn't even a possibility.

Really intrigued to hear how the MK scene started though, I seriously think I'd have got involved a lot earlier had the UMK3 online scene not put me off.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Anybody else get MK info off of Prodigy bbs?
Yup... Back then, it's all we had!

Here's some interesting info:

Archive stuff about MKD for EVO2005:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050624235909/http://www.evo2k.com/tournament.php (see the bottom)

I remember there being a front page article about the games that were to be voted on which had MKD, but I can't find it. I'm not sure if it was shoryuken.com or evo2k.com.

Anyways, the MK community back then was completely unwilling to leave their fucking houses and get exposed offline. All we needed for the game to be at EVO was to have 100 people pre-register and show up. I was willing, but there was literally no interest.