What's new

The history of the Modern MK Community : Part I

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ah yes, the good old days of 3D MK. I remember back then I'd get so mad easily or let trolls get to me, telling them off bigtime, all of us in flame wars back on MKO, haha those were the days, all that crazy drama between the community in general, then MKO banning everyone and/or us leaving, and people hating Dairou and Bo like Kabal and KL in MK9 lol

I remember, BNR was a good player he always told me "man your Ermac and Dairou are a pain and you're one of the few players that can take out my N/S" of course he beat me as well, but yeah him and I always had crazy matches. But yeah he was beastly, so was Alexie with Kobra.

I remember tons of rivalries too. There was also those guys nosaj, stretchshrimp and a few others that just escape me at the moment. And horribleblack, ndtztruck or whatever his name was but can't remember his first part.

Eazy from what I heard, tried playing MKDC and wasn't very good in it and hated it that was the last I heard anyone talk about him. I just seem to remember reading that on MKU some where from someone who played him.

I've always liked the Konqrr guy, always seemed like a down to earth guy while knowing his MK stuff.

I noticed most of these guys didn't go on to play MKDC, MK9 etc or just disappeared.

I remember playing BNR in MKA, he was having a rough time transitioning to how he was in MKD and then retired early. That was the last I saw his name, then he just vanished.

Same with Alexie but I did talk to him right as MK9 came out he said he couldn't get into the 2D fighters as much from what i remember. The rest I have no clue, disappeared. Used to see him play COD, Halo and not MK anymore, a lot post MKD during MKDC's high.

Killer B, great guy he disappeared for a while then came back but disappeared again. I remember having fun training him, helping his Ermac out to be a force of his own to deal with wayyy back. I still remember showing him the unbreakable D2, tks, D2, tks etc combo and him being like wtf, you can't break out of that?! Teach me!! He was awesome.

But yeah, so many solid players but of a much less community in numbers vs. MK9 no doubt but those days were fun none the less.

Raidenwins, yes I'm still around ;) As long as MK is around so will I if I can :) I still remember you teleporting more then anyone with Raiden lol.

CRKFIEND

Noob
Ahh, the good old days! The MK community as we know it today started with MK Deception in 2004. I played that game way too much back then. When it was all said and done I had about 30,000 matches played online, and that does not include all the time I spent in Arcade mode, Practice mode, Konquest, and Chess Kombat (which incidentally, was awesome. I'd love to see it again in some form in MK10). We had a lot of good times on the MKO forums back in the day, there were clan wars and everything. Shout outs to the following players (I was on Xbox Live at the time so the vast majority of those would be from there, or people from PS2 that made the transition to Xbox) from back then:

B.N.R. - the best player on Xbox Live, hands down. This guy was in a league of his own and he eventually went on to join the most dominant clan on Xbox Live, The Outworld Gods. His Noob-Smoke was out of this world. I wonder what happened to him. Anybody know if he plays/played MK9?

Aldagod - another elite player. He came from PS2 and wreaked havoc on the Xbox community. Same question, does anybody know what happened with him? Is he still active in MK?

Alexei09 - that guy was ridiculously good with just about any character he picked. In the very beginning, before the arrival of BNR and Aldagod, he was the number #1 player on Xbox Live. Same question here, is he still active, perhaps under a different name?

Noobed - today we know him as Noobe, a regular at MK and Injustice tournaments. I believe he also transitioned to Xbox Live from PS2. His best character was Noob-Smoke and he was another elite player that gave everybody a very good challenge. He also played a formidable Kabal.

AsmodeusMKO - an excellent Kenshi player and a master of the side-step. That guy side-stepped faster than anybody. I don't know how he did it, but before you knew it he would be right behind you and unleashing a combo on you. I don't know what happened to him either. Anybody know?

Champion Tiger - the undisputed best Jade player on Xbox Liver. This guy was a master of the partial combos. He would combo you to death with his beloved Jade and you never knew where he would interrupt his combos and start a new one. I was friends with him in the beginning and then we had a falling out for some reason. I've no idea what happened to him either. I believe he is from Mexico.

DJDreddy - oh boy, that guy was a riot. He had an amazing Baraka and playing with him was a blast. He would screech and yell on the mic, especially when he was losing. Lol. Good times. He eventually went on to lead the most dominant clan on Xbox Live called the The Outworld Gods. His English was terrible and he was known for making these long rambling posts that didn't really make sense to anybody, but it was lots of fun either way. Don't know if he kept playing MK or what?

ermacdoesexist - this guy was a pretty good Bo Rai Cho player (no Bo cheese either, of which I was very guilty. Lol). I don't really remember anything else about him.

RedSaleen - yet another good Bo Rai Cho player. He used Bo cheese sparingly. He was also very active on the MKO forums, he had a good understanding of the game's mechanics and gave good info about many characters. I am curious what happened to him too. Anybody know?

MKF30 (also known as mkflegend) - boy oh boy, that guy was something else. He had a very good Dairou and then later Ermac, and eventually went on to lead one of the major clans on Xbox Live called the Chosen Warriors, of which yours truly was a member for some time in the later parts of my MKD "career" on Xbox Live. He was also known for his uncanny Scorpion imitation, both in voice and costume, as well as making extremely long, often nonsensical posts and getting into flame wars with just about the entire Xbox Live community. I went from friends to allies to arch nemesis with this guy, to eventually settling into an uneasy mutual respect sort of a state. Either way, much respect to him for being a great MK fan and a very good player. I believe he is still active on this forum. MKF30 maybe?

KF Gaara - he was one of the early good Havik players (what a great character that was, btw. I'd love to see him make an appearance in MK10). We always had really good sets, but that's pretty much all I remember from him. Anybody know what happened to him?

KillerB - other than being a good Ermac player and feuding with this guy, I don't really remember anything else about him.

YouWillPerish - mostly known for his revolutionary Scorpion play, not much else is known about this player. I'll say this about him though, facing his Scorpion for the first time, early in the game's life, was a terrifying experience. He pioneered the Jab, Jab, Hell Fire/Sweep/2, 3, U+4 mix-up.

Smoke LK - a pretty decent Scorpion player and my teammate in the Dark Alliance, the first clan I was a member of. I was always friends with this guy throughout me entire MKD career.

Master Malone (also known as IAmYourDeath) - this guy had the best Mileena early into the game's life. I was pretty good friends with him. I wonder if he is still active in the MK community.

GROY NYC (also known as DomDizzle22) - the undisputed best Sub-Zero on Xbox Live, and also a formidable Liu Kang player. This guy was very tough to fight. You had to be at your absolute best and not make any mistakes if you hoped to have any chance of winning against him. I distinctly remember having a very tough set against him once that I barely won by one match and then I had a headache, no joke.

DoomsDayOfNY - a very good Noob-Smoke player. I believe he was a founder of a short lived clan called the Four Horsemen.

ThePunisher1 - that guy was an amazing Raiden player. That's all I remember.

Doohoo - I think he came into the game late in its life, but quickly improved and eventually became a really good player. At one point he went over to PS2 to face some of the best players there and came back an even stronger opponent.

BoobyBlaze - this guy was a character. Lol. He was known for having a great Scorpion and talking lots of trash on the MKO forums. He was also a member of my first clan, the Dark Alliance, then he quit and joined some other clan or some such. I remember there was a lot of drama involved during that incident. Much respect to him though.

FattMatt - man, I miss that guy. I was great friends with him, he was a blast to play against on Xbox Live. He was also the leader of the Dark Alliance clan after BobbyBlaze left. At one point I heard rumors that him and BobbyBlaze were the same person or some such. Wonder if he still plays MK.

FosterBrute - all I remember about him is that early in the game's life he had a great Shujinko. He played some Scorpion as well.

CRKFiend - the undisputed best Shujinko on Xbox Live. That guy was absurdly good. If you made one mistake against him he would start one of those endless Shujinko combos and that was pretty much the end of the round/match. Yea, scary. That's all I can say. I am sure if he still played MK he would be a major force not to be reckoned with.

easytobeat - do not be fooled by his name, this guy was anything but EASY to beat. He joined the community very late into the game, so late that I had pretty much retired by that time (late 2005) so I never got to play him, but I heard he became a beast of a player with many characters.

NJHitman - he had a really good Tanya, that's pretty much all I remember about him.

NinetyJ - probably the best Ashra player early in the game's life.

pighut - today we know him as @Pig of the Hut, one of the most skilled and most recognizable member of the MK community, but back then he started out as simply pighut. I believe he joined the MK community somewhere around the middle of the game's life, and if I remember correctly he played several characters, including Havik and Kabal.

Konqrr - the same Konqrr we know today. I actually knew this guy even before the days of MKD. We faced off against each other in MK1 and MK2 online during the days of MAME/Kaillera so he probably is the MK community member I've known for the longest time. I even met up with him last year at EVO.

m2dave - the same @m2dave we know today. He was actually a PS2 player at the time so I never faced off against him, but from what I heard he had the best Dairou out there. Just as now, he was known back in those days for his amazing skill and knowledge of the game and his matter of fact, borderline curt posts. Lol.

So shout outs to all of those great players for the good times during the MKD era. If any of the names on that list are still active but under different name, do make yourselves known.

If I forgot someone, I apologize, and again, all of my experience with MKD was on Xbox Live so there are a lot of really good players from the PS2 side I never had the honor of playing against.
Wow. This list man. Brings back memories of MKD online. I actually had quite a lot of fun on it. One player I would add to the list would be a dude named ChimageOrange. I have no idea what this guy has been up to, but we played HUNDREDS of games. The guy was good with numerous characters, which is always cool to see, because usually I settle down with 2-or-so per game that I really enjoy.

I wish I had the time to play MK9 like I did MKD, but man does life happen ;) .

MK9

Noob
just cause I broke MKD and MKA by exploiting the shitty programing from NRS at the time dont make me cheesy. it is no different the the BS resets used now.

MKF, still writing novel...sigh

I was also the first to bring streaming to the MK community.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Somebody changed the thread title...this is about the MK community as it is known today, not just the 3d online community. That was just a part of it. Now I gotta figure out how to change it back dammit

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Love this post...had no idea there was a community back then.

Also, I stumbled upon MK Server Trash...and everything that it says about Tim Static is clearly true....perfect description of him. lol

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Somebody changed the thread title...this is about the MK community as it is known today, not just the 3d online community. That was just a part of it. Now I gotta figure out how to change it back dammit

Looks like someone is butthurt and ashamed of their origins.

I sign a future petition to bring the old title back.

CRKFIEND

Noob
Love this post...had no idea there was a community back then.

Also, I stumbled upon MK Server Trash...and everything that it says about Tim Static is clearly true....perfect description of him. lol
Yep, the MK scene gained a large following with the success of MK9/Injustice. There was a decently large following of online players back in the MKD days, and not-so-surprisingly some of the best in MK9 are some of the best that played in MK Deception.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I was kinda hoping that old fart was in MK9...

I'll be shocked if he's not in MK 10(next MK game) since that will cover Mk 4, MK DA, and probably MK D plus they want to introduce newer characters too Boon said. I hope Shujinko gets in there.