What's new

The history of the Modern MK Community : Part I

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
What were you doing 10 years ago? do you remember? How different was your life?

Im here to tell you about how different the MK community was about 10 years. When injustice launched and an influx of new members came in and i was quickly reminded that they had no idea about what life at TYM was like before injustice. I got around to thinking, MK9 brought about a lot of new faces i had never seen online before. Names that are household names to the MK community now were completely new to me. Imagine looking at 16 bit or CDjr or Perfect Legend as just another newbie on the forum. Im here to tell you the story of the Modern MK community, and to entertain you with tales of who the elders on this site really are, and how we came to come to this great site we have today.

THE BEGINNING

The year was 2004, and being that I skipped Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance due to me being a snot nosed 15 year old boy who was busy skateboarding and setting parking lots on fire, I figured it was time to get back into Mortal Kombat. A game I used to play on an arcade machine every week at my local bowling alley. I had seen a commercial for mortal kombat deception and it looked incredible, it had been ages since I've seen the characters but it was entertaining to watch so I picked it up upon release. Having no idea how to play fighting games I decided to use the power of the internet to teach me. I had no idea what I found that day would change my life completely from thereon out.

I stumbled upon a little site called MKO. From what I could tell by the search results it appeared to be the MK site to be at. So i joined up, and introduced myself. I was a complete scrub at the time. I had hidey accounts, I would decline everyone that had a better record than me, and I played for that top spot on the leaderboard(which I eventually obtained through scrubbery so suck on that it actually works). It wasn't until I played a gentleman by the tag of eazytobeat that I would understand what playing the game actually meant. Ill go into more detail about him at later date, he's a big staple of the early community.

After a few months on MKO, wasn't long at all, I saw a heated debate start up between a member and a mod. The Mods name was "The Pink Ranger" and she was the bane of our existence. She would delete posts and ban people at the first sight of poor sportsmanship or disagreement. She made all of our lives a living hell, but being MKO was the only place to read about MK online at the time, we had to live with it. The member in question i believe was General M2Dave a name you forum goers are all too familiar with these days. After his continuous trolling, some other members of the site got involved, myself included eventually, and we decided to break off into our own site, a site where we could say what we want and do what we want without fear of getting banned, reprimanded, posts deleted or anything like that. This site was born on the basis of freedom and being able to discuss a game that we loved openly. It was a small site, maybe 100 people, but we were all extremely passionate about the game and wanted a place to be able to share this. The members that I can remember involved in this transition were bobby blaze, dirtylova, Darktrax, AK Pig Of The Hut,@AK L0rdoftheFLY, m2dave, and the notorious JTF, who is a major part in the next section of the story...

Theres lots to tell about the history of the community, so Im posted it in parts to save time for everyone. If no one is interested, i wont continue, if you want to hear about the new site we created, and see when your favorite top players made an appearance in the MK scene, id love to share it. Just let me know. Either way, just know this community has thrived off the players for as long as we've been on the internet, and if we dont continue to do so, and support the sites for giving us a place to talk and play with each other then all the hard work we did once upon a time is for nothing.

- STB|EGP Shujinkydink

Lone

KHAOTIC
I always enjoy posts like these. I've been a heavy lurker since the days of MK:A, so I know plenty of our online history. Well, mostly the PS side of things but nevertheless.

I always wondered what happened to Eazy and Versatile.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I can see this thread is going to get very salty.
One thing that I like to point out, since you people like Tiers.
The Mortal Kombat Kommunity is split into Three Generations of players.

Players from MK1 MK2 MK3 MK4 - 1st Generation
Players from MKDA MKD MKA- 2nd Generation
Players from MKvsDC MK9 3rd Generation

Before you pull rank and say that you are 1st generation because you have been on this forum for longer....
Most people on here started with MKD on Xbox. Which makes them 2nd Generation of MK Players. With some UMK3 players thrown in.

Players from Injustice are only here because Ed Boon is a DCU fan and he has stated that his favorite character is Captain Marvel/Shazam. People started making DCU characters in MKA Kreate a Kharacter mode.

The Official Mortal Kombat forum was The Midway Boards, which was looked after by Sheyla, if that's her correct name, it's been years. When MK9 came out, Midway Boards closed and everyone went to the Official MK9 MortalKombat .com forum but it was infested with both virgins lusting after Mileena and rabid Xbox fan boys. Places like MKO MKU TYM were kreated because people here wanted Tournaments and Competition, which places like The Midway Boards did not kater for because it was full of players who appreciate MK for what it is, the characters, the storys, things like TRMK cater for.

MK1 & MK2 was about story.
MK3 was ruined by the Run button which catered to the rabid competition players. Smoke? Human?
UMK3 players went Ugggh I hate MK4 it's 3D man.
MK4 was only playable at it's best on the Sega Dreamcast because MK4 arcade was full of people "Spamming" Quan Chi foot stomp.... Sound familiar?
MKDA was Amazing but people didn't play it for two reasons.... Ugggh I hate MKDA it's 3D man and it had No Online. So most people went back to playing GTA Vice City.
( Since people dropped IGUA to play GTAV history repeats)
MKD had Online and this is when forums became common place because Netscape Navigator was a distant memory and it didn't take 10 MINUTES to load 1 PAGE Online anymore.
MKA was full of people from MKD Online and people had rivalries from the previous game.
MKvsDC was full of people who went Uggh I hate MKvsDC it's 3D man and it's got No blood. Like Seriously yo? MK is about Story, with Blood Splattered in for bad measure.....
MK9 was when Ed Boon gave in to cry baby rabid tournament players and made an MK for the Tournament scene.

TLDR: Mortal Kombat Kommunity is split into Three Generations of MK Players and No Matter what NRS do they get shit for because YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE.

STB Shujinkydink

I can see this thread is going to get very salty.
One thing that I like to point out, since you people like Tiers.
The Mortal Kombat Kommunity is split into Three Generations of players.

Players from MK1 MK2 MK3 MK4 - 1st Generation
Players from MKDA MKD MKA- 2nd Generation
Players from MKvsDC MK9 3rd Generation

Before you pull rank and say that you are 1st generation because you have been on this forum for longer....
Most people on here started with MKD on Xbox. Which makes them 2nd Generation of MK Players. With some UMK3 players thrown in.

Players from Injustice are only here because Ed Boon is a DCU fan and he has stated that his favorite character is Captain Marvel/Shazam. People started making DCU characters in MKA Kreate a Kharacter mode.

The Official Mortal Kombat forum was The Midway Boards, which was looked after by Sheyla, if that's her correct name, it's been years. When MK9 came out, Midway Boards closed and everyone went to the Official MK9 MortalKombat .com forum but it was infested with both virgins lusting after Mileena and rabid Xbox fan boys. Places like MKO MKU TYM were kreated because people here wanted Tournaments and Competition, which places like The Midway Boards did not kater for because it was full of players who appreciate MK for what it is, the characters, the storys, things like TRMK cater for.

MK1 & MK2 was about story.
MK3 was ruined by the Run button which catered to the rabid competition players. Smoke? Human?
UMK3 players went Ugggh I hate MK4 it's 3D man.
MK4 was only playable at it's best on the Sega Dreamcast because MK4 arcade was full of people "Spamming" Quan Chi foot stomp.... Sound familiar?
MKDA was Amazing but people didn't play it for two reasons.... Ugggh I hate MKDA it's 3D man and it had No Online. So most people went back to playing GTA Vice City.
( Since people dropped IGUA to play GTAV history repeats)
MKD had Online and this is when forums became common place because Netscape Navigator was a distant memory and it didn't take 10 MINUTES to load 1 PAGE Online anymore.
MKA was full of people from MKD Online and people had rivalries from the previous game.
MKvsDC was full of people who went Uggh I hate MKvsDC it's 3D man and it's got No blood. Like Seriously yo? MK is about Story, with Blood Splattered in for bad measure.....
MK9 was when Ed Boon gave in to cry baby rabid tournament players and made an MK for the Tournament scene.

TLDR: Mortal Kombat Kommunity is split into Three Generations of MK Players and No Matter what NRS do they get shit for because YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE.
As much as I appreciate you accusing me of "pulling rank" their really is only 2 generations. Original MK,1,2,3) then the modern era of the online games. MK4 never really had a scene.

Im also aware of the Midway forums and sheyla, i started there at a similar time to MKO, but your incorrect in stating it ended at MK9 because it ended before that. Anyway I appreciate your input and hope you can help contribute to my story im trying to tell

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
As much as I appreciate you accusing me of "pulling rank" their really is only 2 generations. Original MK,1,2,3) then the modern era of the online games. MK4 never really had a scene.

Im also aware of the Midway forums and sheyla, i started there at a similar time to MKO, but your incorrect in stating it ended at MK9 because it ended before that. Anyway I appreciate your input and hope you can help contribute to my story im trying to tell
Things are different in Europe. MK has different regions. Thanks.

SkyratiK

The game session is no longer available.
I'm enjoying this. The first MK I played was Trilogy on N64. I loved that game, and I followed them since then, even sometimes diving into the older ones. I just recently started browsing forums and actually learning stuff though. It's nice to hear all of the history I've missed out on.

MKST blows me up as a fraud for not making top 8 at EVO in MK9, but fails to mention that I was a consistent top 8 placer throughout the entire life of the game. Considers me avg in MK9 with avg accomplishments. If this is the case, then 95% of the other top players are below avg lol.

Blows me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in IGAU but fails to mention anything that I did accomplish thus far.

While blowing me up for not placing top 8 at EVO in MK9 or IGAU(yet), he also calls me a fraud in DOA4.. where I DID place top 8 at EVO. However, because it doesn't fit into his "fraud" point, he decides to not mention it. Not only was I top 8 at EVO in DOA4, I also placed top 5 at a D.I.D 3 and DOATEC of which all of the very best players were in attendance. However, he fails to mention EVO or any other major where I placed high.

MKST simply talks about when I fail and highlights it. The site doesn't talk about what i did/do accomplish. The site may not necessarily lie, it just isn't telling the whole truth.

STB Shujinkydink

TYM's history is full of drama. That part gon' be guud.

Also, the first post forgot to mention that Technical Knock Out, TKO for short, was the very first online Mortal Kombat fighting game clan.

clans will be covered in detail in my next section, ill need your help with the PSN clans though. PPL dont know how huge Clan life was back in the day

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Ahh, the good old days! The MK community as we know it today started with MK Deception in 2004. I played that game way too much back then. When it was all said and done I had about 30,000 matches played online, and that does not include all the time I spent in Arcade mode, Practice mode, Konquest, and Chess Kombat (which incidentally, was awesome. I'd love to see it again in some form in MK10). We had a lot of good times on the MKO forums back in the day, there were clan wars and everything. Shout outs to the following players (I was on Xbox Live at the time so the vast majority of those would be from there, or people from PS2 that made the transition to Xbox) from back then:

B.N.R. - the best player on Xbox Live, hands down. This guy was in a league of his own and he eventually went on to join the most dominant clan on Xbox Live, The Outworld Gods. His Noob-Smoke was out of this world. I wonder what happened to him. Anybody know if he plays/played MK9?

Aldagod - another elite player. He came from PS2 and wreaked havoc on the Xbox community. Same question, does anybody know what happened with him? Is he still active in MK?

Alexei09 - that guy was ridiculously good with just about any character he picked. In the very beginning, before the arrival of BNR and Aldagod, he was the number #1 player on Xbox Live. Same question here, is he still active, perhaps under a different name?

Noobed - today we know him as Noobe, a regular at MK and Injustice tournaments. I believe he also transitioned to Xbox Live from PS2. His best character was Noob-Smoke and he was another elite player that gave everybody a very good challenge. He also played a formidable Kabal.

AsmodeusMKO - an excellent Kenshi player and a master of the side-step. That guy side-stepped faster than anybody. I don't know how he did it, but before you knew it he would be right behind you and unleashing a combo on you. I don't know what happened to him either. Anybody know?

Champion Tiger - the undisputed best Jade player on Xbox Liver. This guy was a master of the partial combos. He would combo you to death with his beloved Jade and you never knew where he would interrupt his combos and start a new one. I was friends with him in the beginning and then we had a falling out for some reason. I've no idea what happened to him either. I believe he is from Mexico.

DJDreddy - oh boy, that guy was a riot. He had an amazing Baraka and playing with him was a blast. He would screech and yell on the mic, especially when he was losing. Lol. Good times. He eventually went on to lead the most dominant clan on Xbox Live called the The Outworld Gods. His English was terrible and he was known for making these long rambling posts that didn't really make sense to anybody, but it was lots of fun either way. Don't know if he kept playing MK or what?

ermacdoesexist - this guy was a pretty good Bo Rai Cho player (no Bo cheese either, of which I was very guilty. Lol). I don't really remember anything else about him.

RedSaleen - yet another good Bo Rai Cho player. He used Bo cheese sparingly. He was also very active on the MKO forums, he had a good understanding of the game's mechanics and gave good info about many characters. I am curious what happened to him too. Anybody know?

MKF30 (also known as mkflegend) - boy oh boy, that guy was something else. He had a very good Dairou and then later Ermac, and eventually went on to lead one of the major clans on Xbox Live called the Chosen Warriors, of which yours truly was a member for some time in the later parts of my MKD "career" on Xbox Live. He was also known for his uncanny Scorpion imitation, both in voice and costume, as well as making extremely long, often nonsensical posts and getting into flame wars with just about the entire Xbox Live community. I went from friends to allies to arch nemesis with this guy, to eventually settling into an uneasy mutual respect sort of a state. Either way, much respect to him for being a great MK fan and a very good player. I believe he is still active on this forum. MKF30 maybe?

KF Gaara - he was one of the early good Havik players (what a great character that was, btw. I'd love to see him make an appearance in MK10). We always had really good sets, but that's pretty much all I remember from him. Anybody know what happened to him?

KillerB - other than being a good Ermac player and feuding with this guy, I don't really remember anything else about him.

YouWillPerish - mostly known for his revolutionary Scorpion play, not much else is known about this player. I'll say this about him though, facing his Scorpion for the first time, early in the game's life, was a terrifying experience. He pioneered the Jab, Jab, Hell Fire/Sweep/2, 3, U+4 mix-up.

Smoke LK - a pretty decent Scorpion player and my teammate in the Dark Alliance, the first clan I was a member of. I was always friends with this guy throughout me entire MKD career.

Master Malone (also known as IAmYourDeath) - this guy had the best Mileena early into the game's life. I was pretty good friends with him. I wonder if he is still active in the MK community.

GROY NYC (also known as DomDizzle22) - the undisputed best Sub-Zero on Xbox Live, and also a formidable Liu Kang player. This guy was very tough to fight. You had to be at your absolute best and not make any mistakes if you hoped to have any chance of winning against him. I distinctly remember having a very tough set against him once that I barely won by one match and then I had a headache, no joke.

DoomsDayOfNY - a very good Noob-Smoke player. I believe he was a founder of a short lived clan called the Four Horsemen.

ThePunisher1 - that guy was an amazing Raiden player. That's all I remember.

Doohoo - I think he came into the game late in its life, but quickly improved and eventually became a really good player. At one point he went over to PS2 to face some of the best players there and came back an even stronger opponent.

BoobyBlaze - this guy was a character. Lol. He was known for having a great Scorpion and talking lots of trash on the MKO forums. He was also a member of my first clan, the Dark Alliance, then he quit and joined some other clan or some such. I remember there was a lot of drama involved during that incident. Much respect to him though.

FattMatt - man, I miss that guy. I was great friends with him, he was a blast to play against on Xbox Live. He was also the leader of the Dark Alliance clan after BobbyBlaze left. At one point I heard rumors that him and BobbyBlaze were the same person or some such. Wonder if he still plays MK.

FosterBrute - all I remember about him is that early in the game's life he had a great Shujinko. He played some Scorpion as well.

CRKFiend - the undisputed best Shujinko on Xbox Live. That guy was absurdly good. If you made one mistake against him he would start one of those endless Shujinko combos and that was pretty much the end of the round/match. Yea, scary. That's all I can say. I am sure if he still played MK he would be a major force not to be reckoned with.

easytobeat - do not be fooled by his name, this guy was anything but EASY to beat. He joined the community very late into the game, so late that I had pretty much retired by that time (late 2005) so I never got to play him, but I heard he became a beast of a player with many characters.

NJHitman - he had a really good Tanya, that's pretty much all I remember about him.

NinetyJ - probably the best Ashra player early in the game's life.

pighut - today we know him as @Pig of the Hut, one of the most skilled and most recognizable member of the MK community, but back then he started out as simply pighut. I believe he joined the MK community somewhere around the middle of the game's life, and if I remember correctly he played several characters, including Havik and Kabal.

Konqrr - the same Konqrr we know today. I actually knew this guy even before the days of MKD. We faced off against each other in MK1 and MK2 online during the days of MAME/Kaillera so he probably is the MK community member I've known for the longest time. I even met up with him last year at EVO.

m2dave - the same @m2dave we know today. He was actually a PS2 player at the time so I never faced off against him, but from what I heard he had the best Dairou out there. Just as now, he was known back in those days for his amazing skill and knowledge of the game and his matter of fact, borderline curt posts. Lol.

So shout outs to all of those great players for the good times during the MKD era. If any of the names on that list are still active but under different name, do make yourselves known.

If I forgot someone, I apologize, and again, all of my experience with MKD was on Xbox Live so there are a lot of really good players from the PS2 side I never had the honor of playing against.